HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 4:18 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

That's a sweet little cluster. Some nice architectural diversity. :p

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOPA View Post
In retrospect, if they could have built the arena into the new transbay terminal that could have worked well.
Having a true downtown arena would be amazing, like MSG in New York. Alas, that ship has sailed.

I wonder if there's enough room to build an arena in the air rights above the Caltrain depot...

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 6:14 AM
heavy user of walkability

update

a few shots from the 'hood since it's been a while...

here is the med center as seen from Fourth St:

...and as seen from the Third St side:

the courtyard at the CVRB is just getting its final touches, and has become quite green and more inviting. seen from Nelson Rising Wy:

.. and as seen exiting from the passageway between the CVRB and the Diller Cancer Building (from the north):

speaking of Nelson Rising Ln, the segment behind the neurosciences building is now open (looking east):

and a look at the future walkway on the west side of the building, where trees are going in. here looking south toward Koret Quad and the Rutter Center:

the courtyard is also taking shape on the Quad side of the building, but it's still enough of a confusion (and somewhat visible from the webcam anyway) that I'm holding off posting pics yet.

some serious pile-driving is happening at the public safety building site (with Madrone in the background):

... and as seen from the south side, where excavation is visible:

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 6:46 AM

a few more...

here is how Madrone is coming along, with construction lifts gone and more of its white applied:

a similar shot showing more of the Third St side:

and jumping around...

here is block 2, where the rebar has grown to tree-height:

and over in the northwest, although a few more traffic lights have been installed:

the area is still quite closed off and there hasn't been much recent activity there, as far as I can tell:

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 1:16 PM

Thanks for the updated tour, timbad! Seems like things are really coming along nicely.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 6:53 PM
testify

yeah, thanks for the snaps. still sort of indicative that there isn't a single human in any one of those images. we need to get about 4000 more units of residential in there, with concomitant servicing commercial space. damn

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 7:55 PM
Only Mostly Dead

The SF Business Times has an article on the new neurosciences building, including some shots of the interior. Looks very open and light.

Here are a couple of samples:

Several more at the SF Business Times website.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 4:26 AM

another one bites the dust

thanks for the link, pg - looks like that is going to be a pleasant place to work.

on my evening walk home tonight I noticed they had started demolishing at least the rear half of the easternmost of the two remaining warehouse buildings across Channel from the houseboats (the front half holds the MB Visitors' Center, and I didn't notice any sign that it was closing up shop or anything). I'm really hoping this means that they're making way for imminent construction over there. for now pls excuse the dim pink lighting - I'll get better pics when I can. this is looking southwest from Channel:

and this almost due south - the demolition is on the right:

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 4:45 AM

if this works, this google map link shows the two warehouses. so it is the bottom portion of the one on the right that is being removed. it would be in the way of either the rest of Long Bridge St, or the Commons coming in from the right.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 5:14 AM

... and some random shots from this weekend...

a sneak peek at the neuroscience building's courtyard... things are starting to take form. design elements - yellow brick pavers and the rougher yellow stacked stones for low-wall seating - from the Quad across the way (and from the campus in general) are being used, and it seems like a decent amount of green will be part of it. it occurred to me that I bet those who work in Rock Hall next door will be very glad to finally have things settle down, and to be able to exit their building normally from all sides. from what I can tell, this looks like a nice space linking the two buildings.

I imagine it will be the yellow brick treatment for the west-side walkway as well soon...

jumping over the public safety building site, they've got quite the hole excavated, tho it might be hard to tell from the pic:

our friend Madrone in the evening light:

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 4:26 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks for the update, timbad. I'm sure they are demolishing that warehouse to start on block 11, which according to this post from 1977, should start construction by the end of the year. I don't believe the warehouse containing the visitor's center interferes with the site, so until 12W is ready to begin (or until they decide to complete the roads over there) it will probably stay where it is.

Speaking of block 11, I wonder if BRE helps pay for P12 (their little slice of the Commons) and if so will it be installed to coincide with the opening of their building, much like the other end did with Radiance.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 2:20 AM

Nice to see the Pitco portion of that warehouse coming down. Can't wait for the rest of those two warehouses to come down too to set the stage for shifting the remainder of Channel inland and getting the rest of the street grid laid down.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread and I'm too lazy to go hunting through to check, but UCSF is moving forward with a roughly 250,000 sf building on Block 25 A, basically the northeast corner of 16th and 4th where there is a small entry plaza currently surrounded by parking lot and a long history of construction trailers for the various UCSF projects over the years. The new building will serve as faculty offices for doctors at the hospital, as well as providing space for UCSF to consolidate some of its leased space around town such as the operations at China Basin.

I believe they're soliciting design-build proposals right now.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 4:33 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Cowboy - I hope you don't mind a bunch of questions, but I have several that I bet you know the answer to: Is 25A the whole western half of that property? Do you know how many floors that office building will be? Will Campus Drive continue across 4th and similarly be for pedestrians? Do you know what is planned for the rest of 23 (ie: west of the garage)? Thanks in advance!

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 6:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
... Do you know what is planned for the rest of 23 (ie: west of the garage)?
WC may have more updated info than this, but a document that I looked at within the last year had 23W as one of the three locations being considered for the next block of student housing, with I think a daycare and police facility in there. I don't know if maybe a decision has already been made about that.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 4:06 PM

Yes, 25A should be the whole western half or so of that block. I have seen the project also referred to as 25A/B, which would be the whole block, but I don't see them taking up the whole block for a 250,000 sf office building.

As for the number of floors, I'm not sure on that. They will almost certainly be sticking generally to the same 85-foot height to the parapet used on other campus buildings, with mechanical and some other things extending above that. But while the lab buildings are only five floors for that height due to the need for so much ventilation and other support space, I expect they'll be able to fit more floors into this one since it's all office...maybe 6-7 floors.

Campus Way is envisioned as a "pedestrian friendly" street. It will have to allow vehicular traffic as it is where the entry to the garage on 23B is and will be where loading docks for other buildings on 23 and 25 will be. But they are paying special attention to it with traffic calming and other measure to try to make something of a hybrid and not a high-use road.

timbad is correct about the western half of 23. UCSF is actually still working through the planning process for "Phase II" of the campus, which will include 23A. There are a number of options for it, including all research, research with a section devoted to a permanent child care facility, office with child care facility, or housing with child care facility. Some of the options include a westward expansion of the 23B garage (it's currently only two-thirds of its planned size), while others leave the garage as is.

It's all a big shuffle as UCSF tries to figure out what it can do with Blocks 23 and 25 down near the hospital and 16/17/18 up at the north/northwest area. One issue is that the buildings that have gone up so far are denser than had been originally envisioned, so they're bumping up toward the approved square footage of 2.65 million for the campus...they're at 1.9 million with the opening of the neuroscience building.

If they build out at current density to that limit, there will be surface parking lots left over as unused buildable space, so they're looking at trying to obtain permission to exceed the original square footage limit. The question is by how much, with proposals ranging from 600,000-850,000 sf above that. The mix of office and research and whether additional planned housing goes on the plaza across from current housing or up on Block 16 by The Commons will dictate where they go with it.

You may remember that housing was not in the original plans for Mission Bay, so UCSF kind of got screwed in terms of space ceiling when they opted to build it, since it's a dense, high sf building that counts toward the ceiling. And they'd like to build more. So they think/hope there's some wiggle room to push the ceiling higher in view of the benefits housing brings while not serving as core research/office space.

They've also found that parking requirements are working out to be substantially lower than originally envisioned, so they can get away with fewer/smaller garages (which don't count toward the ceiling) and could build more occupiable space on that land.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 6:59 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks for all the info. I wasn't aware of most of that background.

Cowboy - perhaps Salesforce.com's change of plan will make the city more likely to OK UCSF's additional square footage needs. Suddenly, there's a lot more land available for commercial, research, office, etc. On top of that, it seems like a huge benefit to increase residential, especially that far south (everything else is in the northern half of MB). It would sure help make this feel like a real neighborhood, with people in it outside the workday. Any idea what the rough timing for these decisions will be? Are we talking within 6 months, a year, longer?

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 4:52 PM

The parking garage at the new UCSF hospital is getting it's skin:

Source: http://missionbayhospitals.ucsf.edu/...ia/live-webcam

Renderings: http://www.sfredevelopment.org/Modul...ocumentid=2448

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 6:52 PM

So UCSF's Phase 2 plan was completed last August...here is the final document. But no preferred alternative was chosen at the time.

UCSF is beginning work on its next Long Range Development Plan (master plan) and should choose one of the MB Phase 2 options as part of that. As far as a timetable on a decision, maybe a year? Not really sure.

Additional square footage will obviously come at a cost to UCSF, so it remains to be seen what they're going to do. Since UCSF pays no property taxes, they've had to negotiate additional compensation to the city to help fund infrastructure and other needs in the Mission Bay area with that land off the tax rolls. And if they hope to add even more square footage they'll have to cough up more to get that approved.

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 6:54 PM

That parking garage looks even dingier than I'd feared. Here's hoping it's the gloomy day and the poor webcam quality, but I'm not optimistic.

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
That parking garage looks even dingier than I'd feared. Here's hoping it's the gloomy day and the poor webcam quality, but I'm not optimistic.
I agree, and since we're on parking garages...

What's up with the garage along Third with all of the missing panels? Not that it was appealing before, but it looks even worse now.

Before the panel removal:

Source: http://topflightspecs.com/images/Mission-Bay-Garage.jpg

BTW, thanks for the UCSF Phase 2 info.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development