HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

To catch a WestJet flight to western Canada or to Europe, I would have no problem with that (as long as the flight being connected to is direct).
Not a bad cabin, similar to Air Canada's 37-seat Dash-8-100's.

Saab 340B interior

Source: airliners.net

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Moncton-Halifax is short enough that a lot of people probably drive. Google Maps says the drive from Moncton to YHZ is 2 hours and 10 minutes right now.

VIA has been talking about adding more trains within the Maritimes. This could work out well for the Halifax-Moncton route, which runs right by YHZ. With track upgrades it doesn't seem far-fetched to imagine a train that runs from Moncton to YHZ in, say, 1.5-2 hours.
You will never see a train run from Moncton to Halifax in 1.5-2hrs i promise you that!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 7:40 PM

WestJet offering direct flights from St. John's International to Tampa Bay starting April 5th

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 8:15 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
WestJet offering direct flights from St. John's International to Tampa Bay starting April 5th
Year round?

WestJet has weekly Moncton/Orlando flights for about 6-7 months a year.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 8:32 PM

Quote:
This is just a weekly charter flight in April and May, nothing too exciting.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Year round?

WestJet has weekly Moncton/Orlando flights for about 6-7 months a year.
Not year round no. Weekly flight for the high travel spring months. I don't quite understand it considering the St. John's/Orlando flight is also run by WestJet just like Moncton with the same schedule (I think).

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
This is just a weekly charter flight in April and May, nothing too exciting.
lmao check out this guy.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 9:55 PM

Quote:
lmao check out this guy.
Not sure what to make of that.

It is significant though that Westjet does a weekly year round service to MCO from YYT, giving it direct year round service to the U.S.

I wonder when YYT will release it's passenger numbers for 2017?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 4:58 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

The Greater Moncton Romeo LeBlanc International Airport is developing a new master plan for the next 10 years, and looking even further to 2038 (20 years time).

Here's a crappy thumbnail image of what they are thinking about:

- there is no real talk of terminal expansion in the preliminary proposals, but they do expect passenger volume to slowly increase to 1 million PAX by 2038. If I recall from previous however, the current terminal was planned for only 750,000 passengers per year. The airport currently serves about 675,000 passengers per year, so some terminal expansion may be necessary.
- there is a plan to reconfigure the apron in front of the terminal building and they are very likely going to build a new control tower in the next few years. This is pretty much certain.
- they have located lands suitable for commercial development, including an on site hotel. One of these parcels of land is immediately to the east of the current terminal building, and could be physically connected to the existing terminal. If so, there could be an opportunity to expand the terminal to the east as part of a larger commercial/hotel project.
- they may put a service station complex on the piece of land in front of the terminal, between the Audi/VW dealership and the airport exit onto Highway 11/15. This would be similar to the service centre that they have at the Halifax Stanfield Airport.
- a couple of locations for future cargo development at the airport have been identified, including a space to the west of the terminal building which would be airside.

It's important to note that the options above have not been formally adopted. The actual master plan will not be released until the summer of 2018.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Feb 25, 2018 at 5:30 AM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 8:43 AM

Quote:
The Greater Moncton Romeo LeBlanc International Airport is developing a new master plan for the next 10 years, and looking even further to 2038 (20 years time).

Here's a crappy thumbnail image of what they are thinking about:

- there is no real talk of terminal expansion in the preliminary proposals, but they do expect passenger volume to slowly increase to 1 million PAX by 2038. If I recall from previous however, the current terminal was planned for only 750,000 passengers per year. The airport currently serves about 675,000 passengers per year, so some terminal expansion may be necessary.
- there is a plan to reconfigure the apron in front of the terminal building and they are very likely going to build a new control tower in the next few years. This is pretty much certain.
- they have located lands suitable for commercial development, including an on site hotel. One of these parcels of land is immediately to the east of the current terminal building, and could be physically connected to the existing terminal. If so, there could be an opportunity to expand the terminal to the east as part of a larger commercial/hotel project.
- they may put a service station complex on the piece of land in front of the terminal, between the Audi/VW dealership and the airport exit onto Highway 11/15. This would be similar to the service centre that they have at the Halifax Stanfield Airport.
- a couple of locations for future cargo development at the airport have been identified, including a space to the west of the terminal building which would be airside.

It's important to note that the options above have not been formally adopted. The actual master plan will not be released until the summer of 2018.
It looks like a great (Unofficial) plan But I do wonder about having comercial, and cargo space between the runway space. It looks like it would be an even tighter landing for planes, and potentially cause issues.

I would also like to add. Am I the Only one who thinks this is Moncton trying to get as close of a copy of the Stanfield International Airport as posible? Not saying it's a bad thing but if it is the Case I'm sure we Could fit The entire Airport in the Area Between Dieppe Blvd. to Arsenault Rd, and Champlain to Route 15.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 3:50 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
It looks like a great (Unofficial) plan But I do wonder about having comercial, and cargo space between the runway space. It looks like it would be an even tighter landing for planes, and potentially cause issues.
Putting a cargo village in between the two man runways shouldn't be an issue. If you have ever travelled to major airports, you frequently see commercial development along the runways. They are separated by some distance from the main runway proper, and, of course, are accessed by parallel taxiways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
Am I the Only one who thinks this is Moncton trying to get as close of a copy of the Stanfield International Airport as posible? Not saying it's a bad thing but if it is the Case I'm sure we Could fit The entire Airport in the Area Between Dieppe Blvd. to Arsenault Rd, and Champlain to Route 15.
I dare say that the airport administration has a vision similar to the HSIAA (and many other airports in the world). All airports have excess land that they pay tax on, and the easiest way to mitigate this is to develop as much land as possible in order to pay for the taxes.

An on site hotel is a natural thought, especially for passengers catching early flights (of which there are many at YQM). If you can have the hotel physically connected to the terminal, then this is an added bonus. There is the potential to do something like that at YQM, especially if the airport authority ever expands the terminal eastward. The best place to put a new long term parking lot would also be to the east of the current parking lot.

An auto service centre is also a great thought. People returning from flights, before heading home, may need gas (and a coffee) for a long road trip. At YQM, such a service centre has the added bonus of being immediately adjacent to 11/15 northbound, and would have nearly direct access from the highway for outbound traffic. I could see a lot of motorists leaving Moncton on their way home making use of a service centre in this location.

YQM is nearly as important as YHZ for cargo traffic in the region. Planning new airside cargo villages along the north side of the airport also makes a lot of sense. There really isn't any room for future expansion on the south side of the airport along Champlain Street.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 5:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here's one thought as to how the airport could expand in the next twenty years. This is just my own personal fancy. There are certainly many other variations possible, but this version would be consistent with the airport authorities intent.

Thoughts????

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 7:24 PM

Looks good. That parking lot to the right of the terminal will probably be lost to Terminal expansion in the long long term future as well.

Do you think YQM will ever get to the point they'll build a parking garage? Seems like they have a lot of parking available now, but as they grow, it'll get tighter. I wonder if the airport will get a garage before downtown does?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 8:19 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Looks good. That parking lot to the right of the terminal will probably be lost to Terminal expansion in the long long term future as well.
If it ever gets to that point, the terminal could easily be expanded to the right as well, yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Do you think YQM will ever get to the point they'll build a parking garage? Seems like they have a lot of parking available now, but as they grow, it'll get tighter. I wonder if the airport will get a garage before downtown does?
There already is premium underground parking underneath the terminal building. This could be expanded (as the terminal expands), but I'm not sure there will ever be enough demand to justify an actual parking structure at YQM. Even at 1M PAX (by 2038), the airport would still only be 25% as busy as YHZ is now (~4M PAX)

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 11:21 PM

No need for the new Control Tower to be placed next to the terminal. In your diagram its taking up space that would be better used for more apron space and another loading bridge. As well I believe Navcanada would decide if and where a new Tower would be built on the airport grounds.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 12:14 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J81 View Post
No need for the new Control Tower to be placed next to the terminal. In your diagram its taking up space that would be better used for more apron space and another loading bridge. As well I believe Navcanada would decide if and where a new Tower would be built on the airport grounds.
Understood. The only real reason why I included it is because this seems to be the one piece of infrastructure that the airport authority seemed most certain on building. I agree, it doesn't need to be right next to the terminal. It might be better off further east near the new operations centre. The only real requirement is that it have clear sight lines over all the airport.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 10:17 AM

I think placing the new tower next to the new ops building would make sense. It is sort of at the far end of the airfield though. Im curious as to why the authority puts this so high on their list of things to have built?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 7:54 AM

No more AC Widebodies at YHZ!..... AC860/861 are being MAXed on April 4th.

(there will still be '767 widebodies on Condor this summer)

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Construction on Air Terminal Building & Security Infrastructure Upgrades Underway at Halifax Stanfield

POSTED ON MARCH 14, 2018

Work is underway to upgrade and expand passenger screening, domestic gate area and exterior curb security infrastructure at Halifax Stanfield. These improvements will increase capacity in pre-board screening, provide additional seating and centralized concession space, and provide additional levels of protection to the terminal and the property.

“This is an exciting time at Halifax Stanfield with lots of growth happening at our airport. These renovations will allow us to modernize and expand to meet the growing needs of our passengers and community,” says Joyce Carter, Halifax International Airport Authority (HIAA) President & CEO. “While we go through this period of construction, we want to minimize the impact to the passenger and visitor experience as much as possible and keep our community engaged on the upcoming changes.”

As a general overview, passenger and visitors of the airport will notice:

Hoarding walls beside pre-board screening along the lower observation deck and through the Ale House.
The hoarding wall inside the pre-board screening awrea will make the space slightly smaller, however, the amount of stations screening passengers will not be affected and the impact on passenger flow will be minimal.
The Ale House will be rearranged, with seating pushed out into the centre court to ensure service is maintained.
The upper observation deck will be closed starting March 20 and will open in early 2019.
For other unrelated projects, hoarding walls are in place in the Domestic Holdroom. Any gates affected will be done in stages and will have no impact on flight operations.
Security upgrades will be made along the curb of the upper road, at tunnel entrances and an access point at the parkade in phases. It will require rerouting of pedestrian traffic, alter access to the parkade, as well as reduced space for passenger pick-up and drop-off.
“We appreciate the patience and understanding of travellers during this time, as we continue to develop Halifax Stanfield – one of Atlantic Canada’s most critical pieces of transportation infrastructure,” Joyce Carter further commented.

For more information visit HalifaxStanfield.ca/development. Construction is scheduled to be complete in Spring 2019.
https://halifaxstanfield.ca/2018/03/...ture-upgrades/

View from outside – Gate 20

2nd Floor Domestic Holdroom

Pre-board Screening

https://halifaxstanfield.ca/development/

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 3:32 PM

Air Canada AC664/AC669 between Halifax and Montreal starting June 1st will be an Airbus A330-300 daily. It has almost 300 seats. This is to help take cargo (seafood).

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Air Canada AC664/AC669 between Halifax and Montreal starting June 1st will be an Airbus A330-300 daily. It has almost 300 seats. This is to help take cargo (seafood).
Yeah?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces