HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Aug 7, 2015, 10:52 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

They're moving fast on this one...

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 8:24 PM

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 3:42 PM
BANNED

id think a crane is coming soon on this site.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2015, 12:23 AM

Update from Building Philly

More photos here:
https://www.facebook.com/BuildingPhilly

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 10:14 PM

9/2/2015

Tower crane base installed.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 3:42 PM
BANNED

making progress on this under the radar project.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 7:12 PM

Tower crane going up! Spotted it down 18th street.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 9:24 PM

Tower crane up - view down 18th Street.
Sorry for the crumby grainy iPhone picture.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 4:27 PM

[IMG]Untitled by screennameLLC, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 12:40 PM
BANNED

I really wish someone would put something at 18th and callowhill. Its ridiculous to see that grassy lot so close to downtown.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
I really wish someone would put something at 18th and callowhill. Its ridiculous to see that grassy lot so close to downtown.
Eh, we've had grassy lots in the middle of downtown, though thankfully, they both appear to have bitten / be biting the dust.

As for that lot, it'll happen soon enough I'm sure. I'd guess that in 5-10 years from now Franklintown will be pretty much completely (re)developed. It's already got a lot of momentum with this project, the Granary development, the new Whole Foods development, all of the Mormon stuff, and all of the drawing board stuff like the Family Court redevelopment, the Library expansion, the proposal on Broad & Callowhill, the Inquirer building redevelopment, etc. Once the new Whole Foods opens, the old Whole Food site becomes a prime redevelopment opportunity.

I'd actually like to see a string of Granary-like mixed-use stuff, lots of residential with ground floor retail all along Callowhill.

Last edited by mja; Sep 14, 2015 at 4:28 PM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 6:01 PM

It does seem like the neighborhood is exploding right now, so hopefully that grass lot get's developed in the not too distant future. I'm just thrilled that several block wide massive surface lots are in the process of being developed. It's seriously amazing.

Here's a question somewhat related. The massive curving highway on-ramps that are between 15th and 16th street just north of Vine are a serious buzzkill. Is there any particular reason they have to take up the whole block that way when nowhere else on Vine street seems to be like this? Would it ever be possible to redesign these, or else develop something above them?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 8:27 PM

Tower crane!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 1:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoluble View Post
It does seem like the neighborhood is exploding right now, so hopefully that grass lot get's developed in the not too distant future. I'm just thrilled that several block wide massive surface lots are in the process of being developed. It's seriously amazing.

Here's a question somewhat related. The massive curving highway on-ramps that are between 15th and 16th street just north of Vine are a serious buzzkill. Is there any particular reason they have to take up the whole block that way when nowhere else on Vine street seems to be like this? Would it ever be possible to redesign these, or else develop something above them?
I see zero chance they can be redesigned- they are already tight radius curves in their current iteration. Obviously the less space you have to work with the tighter your on ramps will be- and those are very aggressive already. There are plenty of parking lots in the area that need to be developed before we even worry about replacing or building over these ramps.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoluble View Post

I asked a similar question awhile back but never got an answer. My question was WHY did the designers use the most space eating on/off ramps possible? Typically, urban highways use the service road model, like the eastbound entrance from Broad and Vine. The use of those ramps right in the heart of the city seems like an odd choice - surely their must have been a logical reason.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
I see zero chance they can be redesigned- they are already tight radius curves in their current iteration. Obviously the less space you have to work with the tighter your on ramps will be- and those are very aggressive already. There are plenty of parking lots in the area that need to be developed before we even worry about replacing or building over these ramps.
I think they're question is more like...every other exit off 676 is NOT a space eating cloverleaf - it's a simple parallel off ramp - is there a way to eliminate this absurd waste of space by making it like every other entrance/exit on the strip.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 3:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
I think they're question is more like...every other exit off 676 is NOT a space eating cloverleaf - it's a simple parallel off ramp - is there a way to eliminate this absurd waste of space by making it like every other entrance/exit on the strip.
Im sure anything is possible if you give up existing lane, acquire property, demolish a few buildings, etc. They wouldn't be there if there weren't any extenuating circumstances. If I'm not mistaken- this is only place on 676 where you have entry and exit points at the same geographic location. The other entrances and exits are staggered.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
I asked a similar question awhile back but never got an answer. My question was WHY did the designers use the most space eating on/off ramps possible? Typically, urban highways use the service road model, like the eastbound entrance from Broad and Vine. The use of those ramps right in the heart of the city seems like an odd choice - surely their must have been a logical reason.
I imagine it probably had to do with something more mundane like property acquisition issues. You need additional ROW width along almost two blocks to get in the parallel ramp and I'm assuming in that location it was just easier to go with the option they selected. Maybe the city or state already owned that block or part of it? I'm sure it could be researched if someone was so inclined. Perhaps projected traffic volumes had something to do with it too.

If PennDOT were so inclined, it does seem to me those ramps could be reconstructed into a more rectangular/city grid fashion where you would enter/exit 15th/16th Streets along the former Carlton Street ROW and then turn onto the existing ramps. While this would slow down speeds (not a bad thing!) you might be able to work the grades so the ramps were depressed enough that essentially build over them. Certainly not cheap, but there are certainly examples of other buildings in other cities (Chicago, Boston, etc.) where highways essentially run through buildings and I don't see this being much different. And given the prime location it would seem a much more reasonable investment than decking over the 30th Street railyards for a building.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 6:27 PM

20150916_131341-1 by , on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 11, 2015, 11:53 AM

[IMG]Untitled

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive