HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 8:18 PM

Thanks for the photos! It looks really good and I like the black bollards, though I wish they had used ornamental ones. Costs were probably to blame.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 5:47 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Chinatown @ Carrall Street ~ Picture by Me

Carrall Street Greenway [as you can see, people walk on the bike lanes] ~ Picture by Me

Carrall Street Greenway ~ Picture by Me

Carrall Street Greenway Construction [south of keefer] ~ Picture by Me

Quote:

This work (above) is licensed under a Creative Commons Licence.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 6:52 AM

somebody deserves a towing

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 3:27 PM

I rode my bike down Carrall yesterday to Pacific and then to the seawall. It's starting to look very nice down there! The developments West of Carrall along the Seawall are really taking shape as well. I continued through Yaletown, English Bay, around Stanley Park, Coal Harbour, Convention Centre and then to Crab Park in Gastown. The only time I was on the road was when I hit the convention centre. Amazing views of Vancouver.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 12:07 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftside View Post
I rode my bike down Carrall yesterday to Pacific and then to the seawall. It's starting to look very nice down there! The developments West of Carrall along the Seawall are really taking shape as well. I continued through Yaletown, English Bay, around Stanley Park, Coal Harbour, Convention Centre and then to Crab Park in Gastown. The only time I was on the road was when I hit the convention centre. Amazing views of Vancouver.
I too rode my bike yesterday while taking the pics. Too bad the bike lanes aren't complete... Oh well we can wait =)

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
somebody deserves a towing
who? the guy parked in the designated on-street parking or the guy driving down the road.?

tow em both and send them a bus pass in the mail.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 4:47 PM

I noticed a sign up at Carrall and Cordova advising the public that buses will soon be diverted as construction of the Carrall Street Greenway in Gastown is to commence this summer.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 7:54 PM

Actually the guy walking

Who does he think he is anyway? That's a designated dead-zone ; ).

Old Posted Aug 8, 2008, 1:33 AM

Update | August 7th

Taken by SFUVancouver, August 7th, 2008.

It's coming along. I bet the crews cannot wait to spend their days beside pigeon park...

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 6:21 PM

From: http://www.vancouversun.com/Greenway...319/story.html

Quote:
Greenway plan revised to preserve 40-year-old trees

By Catherine Rolfsen, Vancouver Sun - February 5, 2009

A plan has been hatched to save six red maples on Carrall Street instead of felling them to make way for a greenway.

Eddie Emerman, who owns the Blarney Stone Irish Pub, received the ironic news on Tuesday that plans for the Carrall Street Greenway, a cycling and walking corridor that will eventually link Burrard Inlet with False Creek, would mean taking down six trees.

An e-mail from City of Vancouver planner Tanis Knowles explained that the trees, estimated to be about 40 years old, “are nearing the end of their lifespan and will be further compromised by the planned construction work.” They were to be felled on Wednesday, according to the e-mail.

“We were just shocked. People were just shocked,” said Emerman, who is a board member of the Gastown Business Improvement Association. “It’s supposed to be a greenway. I don’t know how you justify cutting down trees on a greenway.”

But as of Thursday, the trees were still standing and the greenway plan had been revised to keep them in place.

Drew Gilchrist, arboriculture superintendent for the Vancouver park board, said the plan to fell the trees had been the result of a miscommunication. Sidewalk improvements underway on Carrall Street would have meant damaging the trees’ root structure, he said, and so it was assumed the trees had to go.

But Gilchrist said the plans for the sidewalk will be altered and the trees saved. “Obviously in the Downtown Eastside we really want to maintain as many trees as possible,” he said.

Coun. Heather Deal told The Vancouver Sun the trees’ salvation was due in large part to the quick response of concerned neighbours like Emerman.

The Carrall Street Greenway plan calls for the narrowing of the roadway on Carrall, the expansion of sidewalks and the creation of recreational paths for cyclists, skateboarders and in-line skaters. According to Knowles’s e-mail, it’s scheduled to be complete in April.

crolfsen@vancouversun.com
© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 7:27 PM
ON3P Skis

This is good news. Definitely will have to go take a look (and some photos) on a nice day in April or May.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 8:47 PM

Saving end of life and dead trees? Gotta love Vancouver

Old Posted Feb 8, 2009, 8:01 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
Saving end of life and dead trees? Gotta love Vancouver
They are good at that, and although people (like me) do get upset when mature trees are cut down, there is usually a good reason for it. Trees can look fine on the outside, but not so good on the inside.

Anyway, the work in this area is really making it stand out now.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2009, 10:02 AM
Cheers!

From what I've read, the expected lifespan of a red maple is around 100 years. Possibly a bit less in this location, but should live much longer than 40 years you'd think.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2009, 5:42 PM

They've done a lot of good work this week on the Water to Cordova section. They must be saving "the best bit" between Cordova and Hastings until last. Perhaps the construction crews are building up courage to deal with the hordes of crackheads and dealers. The opening of even more social housing in that area (Pennsylvania Hotel and Rainer Hotel for drug addicted women) seems to made the problem even worse lately.

The tourists that come to Vancouver are going to love all the sights and sounds on their way to Chinatown from Gastown!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2009, 7:07 PM
testify

wasn't the lifecycle ending because of the effect of the construction of the greenway on the root system? and don't the changes prolong the life of the trees? i doubt parks is that silly...

Old Posted Feb 8, 2009, 7:09 PM

I know, i always fear that without proper rehab and medical services built into these social housing units that they will just become slums and instead of helping those from the area all they will do is attract more crackheads and dealers from other parts of the country to come here for a free ride. Basically, i fear they become enablers when they are built without rules or regulations.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2009, 11:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwide View Post
this is a great project. i wouldnt ride my bike on it though. i see it more as traffic calming and pedestrian realm improvements.

because it is an extension of the sidewalk it is bound to have people walking on it or standing not paying attention.

it would be slower especially at intersections. biking in the road gives you the clearest sight lines in urban areas because you are further removed from blind corners at alleyways and crosswalks

bikes are vehicles capable of car speeds, especially downtown where you can travel much faster than the average car. bikes should be integrated into our roads. roads are not only for cars they are for everybody. more bikes on the street means more driver awareness. out of sight out of mind.

i actually disaprove of people biking on sidewalks i think its a huge saftey issue for pedestrians and the bikers themselves
The concept is fine. Only about 1% of the population wants to cycle in traffic. The rest want separation from traffic. On Carrall Street, they probably should have paved the bike path instead of using concrete so it doesn't look like a sidewalk. As well, they should have had it at a lower level than the sidewalk. This is what they do in Europe and it seems to work well. Anyway, it will be interesting to see how it works.

Anyway ,there are enough streets that don't have separated bike paths around the city if that is really what you want. On Carrall Street, if you really want to cycle on the road, there is nothing stopping you.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 11:16 PM
victory in near

Vancouver Park Board wants to spruce up Pigeon Park

John Ackermann VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) | Thursday, February 26th, 2009 6:45 am

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - It's one of the focal points of the Downtown Eastside -- a hangout for the homeless and down-and-out.
Pigeon Park is gritty, dirty, and often covered in trash, but the Vancouver Park Board is hoping to change that.

The $187,000 dollar proposal would see Pigeon Park "gentrified" with brand-spanking new benches, tables, a washroom, brighter lighting, and even a new drinking fountain.
It's all part of the board's Carrall Greenway Project -- which aims make the street -- one of the city's more unsightly stretches --- safe and attractive in time for Olympic tourists.

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/m...26_094629_7836

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 7:43 AM
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmk View Post

John Ackermann VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) | Thursday, February 26th, 2009 6:45 am

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - It's one of the focal points of the Downtown Eastside -- a hangout for the homeless and down-and-out.
Pigeon Park is gritty, dirty, and often covered in trash, but the Vancouver Park Board is hoping to change that.

The $187,000 dollar proposal would see Pigeon Park "gentrified" with brand-spanking new benches, tables, a washroom, brighter lighting, and even a new drinking fountain.
It's all part of the board's Carrall Greenway Project -- which aims make the street -- one of the city's more unsightly stretches --- safe and attractive in time for Olympic tourists.

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/m...26_094629_7836

God help the tourists who happen to stumble upon Pigeon Park.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues