HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 4:45 PM

wow the memories. I remember Conquest being at Mueller in the late 80s and maybe early 90s I believe....I don't recall them being around long enough for the move to Bergstrom International.

Anyone recall the Sanchez Barber shop (maybe Sanchez Brothers) on the SW part of 45th and Lamar (near where the starbucks is now?) At that time I believe Lamar had some separate service lanes for some of the businesses lined up a few blocks south of 45th.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 6:02 AM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeiter View Post
Does anyone remember these restaurants:

Chez Fred (was on Burnet and 183)
Pearl's Oyster Bar (burnt down, across the street)
Cafe Adobe, where La Madeleine is...
2-J's Hamburgers
god, there were so many more...

I think I already mentioned Spooner's at the Arboretum...
Little Italy on Mesa at Steck (for some reason we went to a lot of special occasion dinners there)
Mamma Mia's (really uncreative name) on Shoal Creek behind Northcross area...

And one that's still open and still one of my favorites, THE FRISCO SHOP!
Wow, 2-J's... now thats a blast from the past. We used to frequent the Research Blvd location, along with the original on N Lamar (now EZ's). Great burgers and even their Chicken fried steak wasnt half bad.

Definitely remember Quickie Pickes... I dont know if you're old enough to remember this, but we used to have a ton of conveience stores named "U Tote Em"... the store signs resembled a totem pole. I think all were taken over by Circle K's (which are all gone as well). I also miss the old Stop-n-Go marts. I dont believe there are any left (most were taken over by Diamond Shamrock).

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 7:28 PM

Check this out the Cinema 1&2 @ Capitol Plaza I think the last move showed in the late 70's

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 7:56 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan View Post
Check this out the Cinema 1&2 @ Capitol Plaza I think the last move showed in the late 70's
I remember that theater very well! I saw "Hot to Trot" (Bobcat Goldthwait) there when I was a kid (yeah I'm dating myself).

Other movie theaters that i used to frequent (some mentioned earlier):
  • Mann Fox Theater 3 - Airport Blvd S of Lamar (now a Mercedes Dealership)
  • Highland Mall Cinema - Now a Laser Tag facility...across from Sugars.
  • Showplace 6 - near Lake Creek Parkway and 183, across from Westwood High School (now an educational facility)
  • Cinemark Movies 12 - I-35 in Pflugerville. This later moved to a new building next door and became Tinseltown 20 in 1997. The building is now home to an Ashley Furniture, after sitting vacant for nearly a decade.
  • AMC Northcross 6 - mentioned earlier... a 6 screen theater facing the Ice Rink at Northcross Mall. I practically LIVED here!
  • AMC Aquarius Theater - Hancock Drive just W of Burnet Road (now a city Library).
  • Wells Branch 8 - later became a discount theater. Recently demolished and replaced with a Walgreens. Parking there was HORRIBLE!
  • Arbor 7 - at the Arboretum. Replaced by a Cheesecake Factory a few years ago, and later moved to the old Great Hills 8 theater, less than a 1/2 mile away.
  • Movie Theater, cant remember the name - 183 at I-35. I dont think this theater lasted but a year or two. Its now a church, behind the Chili's. Anyone remember this?
  • Varsity Theater - 24th at Guadalupe, across from UT. Later became a Tower Records, and now a bookstore.
  • General Cinema Barton Creek - located on the edge of the mall parking lot, overlooking 360 and Mopac. Later closed because of what I heard were foundation problems (on the edge of a hill). Was later replaced by an Abuelo's mexican restaurant.
  • Many others I've probably left out.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 3:26 AM

austin still does not have talll buildings ,,
and the ones rising r midrise,,
for the pop of the metro ,,austin is still behide in ,tall skyscrapers,,but its trying

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 11:48 PM
Meh

Well, we're the only Texas city with two 700+ footers planned.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin