HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 7:03 AM
Meh

Morning fire destroys Chili's restaurant in South Austin

Man, this is like 2 miles from my house. It sucks, the building is a total loss.

From the Austin American-Statesman
http://www.statesman.com/news/conten.../31chilis.html

Morning fire destroys Chili's restaurant in South Austin
Damages up to $1.5 million, but no cause has been determined.

By Isadora Vail
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Sunday, December 31, 2006

A fire destroyed a Chili's restaurant in South Austin on Saturday morning, leaving dozens of employees displaced.

Firefighters said they were called to the restaurant at Stassney Lane and South Interstate 35 about 5:30 a.m.

The building was empty at the time; employees said the restaurant does not serve breakfast and was scheduled to open for lunch about 10:45 a.m. Saturday.

The cause of the blaze could not be determined immediately as investigators prepared to sift through the massive amount of debris inside the burned-out restaurant. The ceiling had collapsed.

The fire took nearly five hours to extinguish because intense heat and smoke prevented firefighters from entering the building.

Don Smith, a spokesman with the Austin Fire Department, said the building was a total loss, with damages of about $1.5 million.

Wait staff from Chili's gathered in front of the building shortly after the fire was put out. They said about 100 people worked at the restaurant. The employees declined to give their names because of the corporation's rules about speaking to the media.

"We will get to work at Chili's in the surrounding areas, but our big thing is that the people will be separated," said a waiter who had worked at the Chili's on Stassney for three years. "The managers have really helped us out a lot. Their primary concern is us, not the store."

A waitress said the restaurant was like her second home and her fellow staff members like family.

"Our home is gone, and our family is displaced. We are devastated," she said.

A restaurant manager at the scene of the fire declined to comment.

Kelly West
AMERICAN-STATESMAN

The fire at the Chili's restaurant on Stassney Lane near Interstate 35 started before 5:30 a.m. and took nearly five hours to extinguish because intense heat and smoke prevented firefighters from entering the building.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 1:10 AM

Thats too bad

In college station I remember our Olive Garden burned to the ground

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 2:53 AM
constructor extrodinaire!

you go to A&M zaphod?

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 3:19 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
you go to A&M zaphod?
I believe Tex1899 did also.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 6:44 PM

Yep, Class of '01.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 6:49 PM

If you've ever had Chili's skillet queso (very good, in my opinion), then you've probably also had their hot sauce...I'm sorry, I don't call it salsa, and I probably never will. Anyway, I was in Edmonton, AB back when OJ killed Nicole, and we at at Chili's one night. That location used Pace instead of the original (I assume) recipe that most other locations have.

By the way, I've predicted that Alice, Bay City, and Wharton would all get a Chili's, and they all have...either opened or under construction. I predict Beeville will get one, too. Livingston will probably get one due to the lake population on weekends, and Columbus might get one...there's a lot of traffic on I-10 and 71.

3 hours till the Rose Bowl.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 6:50 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
I wish that happened more often.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Man, this is like 2 miles from my house. It sucks, the building is a total loss.
Chili's sucks or it sucks that it burned down
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
A fire destroyed a Chili's restaurant in South Austin on Saturday morning, leaving dozens of employees displaced.
24 or 36 or 48...How many people work at a Chili's? I guess they'll have to depend on allowances from their parents again?
Quote:
By the way, I've predicted that Alice, Bay City, and Wharton would all get a Chili's, and they all have...either opened or under construction. I predict Beeville will get one, too. Livingston will probably get one due to the lake population on weekends, and Columbus might get one...there's a lot of traffic on I-10 and 71.
You have a bright future in Chili's location selection.
I kid...I kid...

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post

You have a bright future in Chili's location selection.
I kid...I kid...
Serving in that role for a restaurant company would probably be a fun job. If the location does well, you're a hero. If not, you're a goat. It's all about traffic patterns. In College Station there's a Kroger at Southwest Parkway and Texas Ave. It does a booming business. Catty-corner where there is/was a furniture store; that location actually was a grocery store when it was first built. The developer figured the intersection made the location, but the developer didn't realize that people stop off at Kroger on their way home. In Kingwood there's a Randall's right up front that is slow most of the day, but it's actually a great location because you can stop off on your way home from work and pick up food for the next meal or two. Appletree has/had a store on Villa Maria in Bryan (I think that location is now a bingo parlour) and it was one of the top stores within the chain. They moved across the street to a new location and their sales declined.

What Chili's did was modify their menu a bit, shrink their restaurant a bit, and then they had a concept with name recognition that would work in smaller markets. The article I read detailing this I think said the location in Stephenville was going to be one of the first of this format. Another thing they've begun to do is look at the weekend population as well (Marble Falls, Fredericksburg), and determine that the expected business on the weekend will help offset slower business during the week.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 1:56 AM

jesus. what are you guys talking about?

i can thumb through the statesman for news bytes like this.

there is a conversation here, but it's not zaphod's alma mater. that's what the "private messages" hot link is for.

if we have a quorum in this forum then perhaps the discussion can be the effect of chain restaurants on a city's character and whether or not the destruction of such institution could in fact be a cleansing of a neighborhood's character.

my POV is that morning the loss of a chili's is only possible when one's sense of self within society is off kilter.

a true sense of self has been repressed.

society has taken over the decision-making process and the individual in morning is, in fact, morning something that doesn't even exist.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 1:17 PM
Meh

Boy this thread's gotten strange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1899
then you've probably also had their hot sauce...I'm sorry, I don't call it salsa, and I probably never will.
There is a difference between hot sauce and salsa you know. Hot sauce is like a dressing almost, kind of like ketchup where as salsa has more to it with vegetables and doubles as a side order sort of like a salad. Pace is alright, but I like something with a little more heat. It is good, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII
I wish that happened more often.
Ha, no kidding. My dad and his friend ate there once and a waitress spilled about 2 liters of Dr. Pepper all over my dad. And they still had to pay for the meal. Wtf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbred
Chili's sucks or it sucks that it burned down
As far as chain restaurants go, Chilli's isn't all that bad. I thought this sucked since that building is only about 3 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad707
society has taken over the decision-making process and the individual in morning is, in fact, morning something that doesn't even exist.
Actually, it's "mourning", not morning. It did however burn to the ground in the "morning", and I didn't mourn it.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2021, 1:40 AM
Frontal Lobe Technician

I confirm Chili's reopen. I eat black bean burger and water here for dinner. Quality maintained in new structure. Delicious and nutricious.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2021, 3:07 AM

Just a casual 5300 day thread bump.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2021, 2:16 PM

This thread was started in 2006 before the boom really started. It's amazing what qualified as thread worthy back then.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2021, 7:39 PM

Time machine?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin