HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Nov 24, 2012, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice93 View Post
Anyone know about this or where it is supposed to be?

http://www.hellermanus.com/The_Arion.html
Going by the details on the map, it looks like it was designed for 281 and Arion Blvd, between Nakoma and Wurzbach Pkwy. Part of the site is currently home to Northside Ford.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 4:32 AM

does anyone know what is going up at la cantera

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 6:06 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtobias View Post
does anyone know what is going up at la cantera
The Town Center at La Cantera.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 2:00 AM
Paradise

Does anyone know how the apartments at Eilan are doing? I've heard all sorts of answers, but I'd imagine it can't be bad if the Residences at La Cantera are under construction. (?)

Old Posted Jan 27, 2013, 6:32 AM

Does anyone know what is going up on the intersection of Kyle Seale and Babcock

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 3:12 PM

I didn't realize the project on Austin Highway had already started turning dirt.

At 278 units it's pretty massive, but I wonder why they decided to put the retail next door instead of on the ground floor? Still, it's good for Austin Hwy.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...#photo-4124415

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 4:35 AM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtobias View Post
Does anyone know what is going up on the intersection of Kyle Seale and Babcock
UTSA Park West Athletics Complex?

http://utsa.edu/today/2012/04/parkwest.html

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 6:32 AM

I wonder if they will let us citizen use the track to walk.......Like medical center track.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 8:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
UTSA Park West Athletics Complex?

http://utsa.edu/today/2012/04/parkwest.html
Kyle Seale/Babcock is about five miles north of park west

It's an apartment complex that they're building at Seale and Babcock.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 2:51 AM

Latest Census estimates have San Antonio-New Braunfels metro population at 2,234,003.

This is up from 2,191,670 in 2011, an increase of 42,333 and a 2% increase in growth rate.

2011 to 2012 Growth (growth rate)
Bexar County: 1,753,494 >>> 1,785,704 (2%)
Guadalupe County: 135,843 >>> 139,841 (3%)
Comal County: 111,521 >>> 114,384 (2.5%)
Medina County: 46,443 >>> 46,765 (0.7%)
Atascosa County: 45,471 >>> 46,446 (2%)
Wilson County: 43,697 >>> 44,370 (1.5%)
Kendall County: 34,666 >>> 35,956 (3.5%)
Bandera County: 20,535 >>> 20,537 (0%)

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 10:20 PM
Meh

El Cerrito Place

Anyone know the status of this project? Has anyone heard any updates/anything about it.

It's only 6 floors, but judging by the rendering it should be a highrise. At least it looks to be close to 115 feet tall.

http://www.showcase.com/#&&/wEXAQURV...IeuQbavNRvbkuP

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 12:07 AM
Paradise

So is Alamo Drafthouse going into La Cantera? I did not here of this before.

http://www.theshopsatlacantera.com/directory

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 5:26 PM
James

That would be interesting if they did. Although I still think I'd go to the one at Park North.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 2:34 PM

As expected, USAA Chooses the burbs close to home.

Downtown just rolls its eyes

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 3:20 PM

I think we all know why though. Downtown has nothing fresh to offer and it wouldn't suit them cost wise either. It frustrates me because city leaders fight downtown progress weather it's aesthetically pleasing or not.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntpuller View Post
It frustrates me because city leaders fight downtown progress weather it's aesthetically pleasing or not.
This comment makes zero sense. What leaders are fighting progress? The ones offering incentives to build residential developments in downtown, the ones offering incentives to relocate your business downtown. The ones revitalizing hemisfair park? The ones building a streetcar system? The ones proposing a downtown baseball park? The ones before that putting money into the Museum Reach?

I'm curious to know. Which ones?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
This comment makes zero sense. What leaders are fighting progress? The ones offering incentives to build residential developments in downtown, the ones offering incentives to relocate your business downtown. The ones revitalizing hemisfair park? The ones building a streetcar system? The ones proposing a downtown baseball park? The ones before that putting money into the Museum Reach?

I'm curious to know. Which ones?
I'm not pointing fingers, generalized statement.

When I refer to something as fresh, I'm talking about buildings (high-rises in particular) that would attract and reflect a modern, growing business market. Downtown hasn't seen any major development since the 80's, it's a preservation of that. I know I’ll get flack for saying this but USAA's choice to omit downtown should come as no surprise, It's an unmentioned truth: downtown is undesirable for business. Since the 80's I've watched our downtown's business market be eclipsed by others in terms of growth and constancy (the particulars can be argued). City leaders (committee and council members) are urged to preserve historic portions of downtown, which is fine, but it's caused a domino effect. It's turned off developers, which then turns off business and that makes the problem worse. We’re about to have a residential boom downtown and I’m curious to see how the city will approach changes to the skyline, if any.

I’m not saying historic areas shouldn’t be preserved or a sky scraper will change everything but I'd like to see more businesses choosing downtown over the burbs and there's got to be a better way to make it happen.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntpuller View Post
I'm not pointing fingers, generalized statement.

When I refer to something as fresh, I'm talking about buildings (high-rises in particular) that would attract and reflect a modern, growing business market. Downtown hasn't seen any major development since the 80's, it's a preservation of that. I know I’ll get flack for saying this but USAA's choice to omit downtown should come as no surprise, It's an unmentioned truth: downtown is undesirable for business. Since the 80's I've watched our downtown's business market be eclipsed by others in terms of growth and constancy (the particulars can be argued). City leaders (committee and council members) are urged to preserve historic portions of downtown, which is fine, but it's caused a domino effect. It's turned off developers, which then turns off business and that makes the problem worse. We’re about to have a residential boom downtown and I’m curious to see how the city will approach changes to the skyline, if any.

I’m not saying historic areas shouldn’t be preserved or a sky scraper will change everything but I'd like to see more businesses choosing downtown over the burbs and there's got to be a better way to make it happen.
Not only is your anger misdirected but the source of said anger is incorect. Preserving historic buildings hasn't kept businesses from building downtown. It's the incredibly high price for land downtown versus the price of land in the burbs. If you want to blame anyone, blame the hotel/tourism industry.

Do you think Valero or Tesoro were super gung-ho about building a highrise or skyscraper but historic preservation kept them from building anything? That's an incorrect absumption.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 1:10 PM

I think there are 2 main reasons why 'big business' in San Antonio continues to build in the suburbs, versus downtown.

1. It's simple math: It's cheaper to build a building in the suburbs where land is readily available versus downtown where available land is more scarce. First and foremost, these people are in business to make money, so this decision is common sense.

2. Who's decision is it to build in the suburbs versus downtown? Certainly not the young progressive working in a cubicle who desires an influx of urban growth. No, it's the executives who have the nice office, and odds are, a rather luxurious home in the suburbs. Logistics.

Do I think there will be an increase/return of business to the urban core? Absolutely. But it's going to take a continued effort from our city government to consistently attract business downtown with incentives. And this is going to take decades, not years. Slow and steady wins the race.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Not only is your anger misdirected but the source of said anger is incorect. Preserving historic buildings hasn't kept businesses from building downtown. It's the incredibly high price for land downtown versus the price of land in the burbs. If you want to blame anyone, blame the hotel/tourism industry.
Well it also is partially an issue of landowners who want exorbitant prices for the small lots they own. But the local hotel industry leaders are also definitely a major cause for concern. Does anyone else think it was ridiculous that they threatened to kill the Hemisfair bill just because they wouldn't be able to build in that relatively small zone?

They have all of downtown to build in and all the areas immediately around Hemisfair, but they throw a tantrum over 90 acres? I think they've shown they are not interested in the best interests of the whole city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio