HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 6:41 PM

What makes Texas so appealing?

This is a question I've had for a long time. Texas cities and the state as a whole are consistently ranked as the fastest growing, and most liveable.

This isn't a hate thread or anything. I'm just curious as to what makes Texas so appealing to people looking to relocate.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 6:45 PM
The City

Hot, cheap, and no rules.

Just like a good hooker

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 7:37 PM

Big houses at cheap prices, good climate (given that a/c exists, maybe not so much before that invention).

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 7:45 PM
BANNED

I went to DFW and loved it. Neither city is all that great, but I lived the climate and the McMansions.

I want to visit Houston.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
Big houses at cheap prices, good climate (given that a/c exists, maybe not so much before that invention).
Good climate? It's hot as Hades in summer and either damp/muggy or desert dry.

Sorry, but I personally don't find it attractive in spite of the cheap land (and consequent cheap homes prices). I could probably live in a couple of small parts of it--the "hill country" and the Gulf coast around Galveston--if I had to live somewhere in the state, but the assumption of the thread--that it's "attractive"--doesn't work for me.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 8:28 PM

Mild winters, strong economy/jobs, affordable, diverse, welcoming, friendly, fun (texas cities tend to have strong music scenes, nightlife, and a general upbeat vibe).

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 8:30 PM
BANNED

Having lived in 3 of the 5 major Texas metropolitan areas, I can unequivocally state that it is one of the most underrated states in the country - a hidden gem of sorts.

Hot? Sure, but guess what? We have triple digit temperatures and humidity through the roof here in NYC this week. Phoenix and Las Vegas are hotter than hell, and both the San Fernando Valley (in greater Los Angeles; lived there, too) and Chicago regularly experience triple digit temps throughout the summer months. So this whole "hot" thing is a cop out for the uninformed and/or Texas haters.

Bottom line is most major metros in Texas (DFW, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, and - to a certain extent - El Paso) offer a lifestyle experience (economically, culturally and recreationally) on par with or better than most major metros in the U.S. Whether you are accepting of the state's overarching political climate (which is increasingly left-leaning due to the influx of migrants from both coasts) is one thing, but the routine Texas hate within threads on this site (largely from the uninformed or those operating off of what they've heard instead of actually visiting and forming an educated opinion) just for the sake of it is ridiculous.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 8:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Good climate? It's hot as Hades in summer and either damp/muggy or desert dry.

Sorry, but I personally don't find it attractive in spite of the cheap land (and consequent cheap homes prices). I could probably live in a couple of small parts of it--the "hill country" and the Gulf coast around Galveston--if I had to live somewhere in the state, but the assumption of the thread--that it's "attractive"--doesn't work for me.
Wondering, do you consider San Francisco to have a good climate? Because of all the cities I've resided in - and I resided there for 5 years - I found it to have the worst climate of all those cities.

Personally not a fan of year round relatively cool weather and overcast skies/heavy fog dominating most mornings, but to each their own.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 9:19 PM

ive noticed older people like the desert more and younger people like snow. but that just what ive seen.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 9:25 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
Chicago regularly experience triple digit temps throughout the summer months.
No it doesn't. 100+ degree days are actually pretty rare in chicago. In the past 140 years of chicago weather record keeping there have only been 61 total days where the thermometer hit 100+ degrees. That works out to an average of one 100+ degree day about every 2.5 years. We have many summers in chicago when the temp never gets that high.

Chicagoans complain about the hot weather a lot not because we have extremely hot summers, rather it's because chicagoans simply have no tolerance for heat over 90 degrees, which on average occurs about 20 days each year.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jul 15, 2018 at 9:42 PM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
This is a question I've had for a long time. Texas cities and the state as a whole are consistently ranked as the fastest growing, and most liveable.

This isn't a hate thread or anything. I'm just curious as to what makes Texas so appealing to people looking to relocate.
Beats me! I was born there and grew up there, but I left. I'm much happier in CA.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 9:34 PM
An Optimistic Realist

I like Texas, but it's reminds me of places I already lived in like Georgia and Florida. Houston and Dallas may continue to grow and become more diverse, but nothing there seems to catch my attention. Maybe I'm just bias towards the coasts.

But I will say Texas has a unique culture and position in this country. You get the best of the South and Southwest with Mexico nearby.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 9:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Chicagoans complain about the hot weather a lot not because we have extremely hot summers, rather it's because chicagoans simply have no tolerance for heat over 90 degrees.
������It's all about humidity. Talking about heat without that is kinda pointless unless you're baking something.

I've lived many, many, many places. A bonus I have is, with military experience, I have a baseline wherein I can talk about many of those places knowing I was wearing basically the same clothing. Ie, I can avoid the nonsense of saying Chicago is fine in March (while wearing several layers and a hood) while talking about how chilly Seattle is during the same time frame (because we're all wearing hoodies there).

With that said, Chicago gets pretty hot. Not unbearable, but certainly uncomfortable. It's not Doha in August but then again no place in the US is. The worst climates I've ever lived in are South Korea and Chicago. Worst combo of hot and cold. The best is Hawaii.

But to bring it back to the topic, parts of Texas are barely fucking better. I've spent too much time in San Angelo and it's a fucking pit for all things: culture, lifestyle, and yes, climate.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 9:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Are people moving to Texas because they love Texas or hate where they are at? I'd say it's more the latter. A lot of people can't afford the constantly rising home prices and taxes on the coasts so they are fleeing to Texas not because they love Texas but because they can't afford where they're at. I'll admit I've gone on Zillow before and looked at the insane McMansions I could buy in Texas for the same price as a middling house around here and it can sure be tempting. Certainly if I retired and was on a fixed income I'd be out of New Jersey the next day.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 9:52 PM

Texas was fun to visit, but I wouldn't live there. It is a great state despite what many say about it.

Low cost of living, plenty of affordable housing, a good job market, and warm climate are all the things some people need to live a good life. It's a lot easier to raise a family in Texas than most coastal states.

Being a west coast guy, I'd rather live in Nevada or Arizona than Texas. I can appreciate why people in the midwest, northeast, and south would move there though.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 10:25 PM

Cheap homes, lots of decent jobs/entry level jobs, low taxes.

Makes economic sense for most families so they move there in droves.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 11:36 PM
Houston:Considered Good

I would say it is a very business friendly state so a lot of jobs are moving there.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
Wondering, do you consider San Francisco to have a good climate? Because of all the cities I've resided in - and I resided there for 5 years - I found it to have the worst climate of all those cities.

Personally not a fan of year round relatively cool weather and overcast skies/heavy fog dominating most mornings, but to each their own.
It's not ideal--San Diego is--but it's pretty close to my personal taste. I am not at all a fan of hot weather, having grown up in the Middle Atlantic states when home air conditioning was a rarity. Too many summers of misery trying to find some way to get cool (without going to the movies). Even now with so many older apartment buildings having window units, NYC in summer would, for me, be h*ll.

As many here know, I also have a home in Southern Arizona and I go there to avoid the Bay Area's periodic winters when a Jetstream anomally shifts the Pacific storms that God intended to hit Seattle southward. The Arizona desert can have 40 degree day/night temperature ranges, but in midwinter in daytime it is typically 70 degrees with blue skies--ideal.

In summer, though, it is as hot as . . . Texas. So I leave and quite enjoy San Francisco where I especially enjoy listening to the national weather reporting periodic heat waves sweeping over everything east of the Sierra and, at most, getting San Francisco into the 70s. Maybe it's because I go to sleep late and get up late and by the time I've showered and the rest, the fog has receded and the sun is shining (at least on me, downtown).

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 12:00 AM
The City

So to summarize all of the above posts.....

Hot, cheap, and no rules

Just like a......ok nevermind

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post
A lot of people can't afford the constantly rising home prices and taxes on the coasts so they are fleeing to Texas not because they love Texas but because they can't afford where they're at. I'll admit I've gone on Zillow before and looked at the insane McMansions I could buy in Texas for the same price as a middling house around here and it can sure be tempting. Certainly if I retired and was on a fixed income I'd be out of New Jersey the next day.
I would point out that if you OWN in CA (as opposed to renting which 60% of San Franciscans do), thanks to Prop. 13, which limits increases in your property tax to 2% annually, the "constantly rising homes prices" don't really affect you. They do, however, allow you to sell out, move to a place like Texas, buy a house with 3 times the square footage of the one in CA you sold, and still have a very large cash nest egg in the bank. It's not flight so much as greed but it works for a lot of people. As they say in CA where a lot of people can't afford to save for retirement, your home is your retirement savings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions