HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 6:06 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero View Post
That's because the conversation is all about construction and development. I like the photos, but I also find that's where all the info is, and it's not that the conversation is boring, it's because it's civil, and people here don't get that concept. I agree this site does have more interesting conversations at times, and it's great entertainment watching the usual morons duke it out but I'm usually not looking for debates about unions and public art, and whatever other bullshit topic comes up. I can go to Reddit for that.
ugh.. never go to reddit. avoid that and as much social/broadcast media as possible for a month and you won't believe how much cleaner your head feels

inversely, it's why I like SSP. if I'm interested in learning about what's being built in a particular city, I can come browse the thread, ask questions, etc.. and there is at times a wealth of knowledge here. I can't say for myself, but I'm guessing construction and development news doesn't get huge coverage in broadcast media..

in any case, it's good to have both sites. while I appreciate all the efforts put into SRC, I just can't be bothered to sign up for an account when the banter essentially consists of googleable questions and thanks for the pics posts

as a slight tangent, an interesting read on techniques used to slide forums, etc.. wouldn't have thought add revenue from a place like this would be worth it? but as the world constantly shows, there's no limit to the depth of strange..

https://cryptome.org/2012/07/gent-forum-spies.htm

Last edited by technomad; Dec 12, 2017 at 6:30 AM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 6:48 AM

Somewhat ironically on this very topic about moving forward, Corndogger has invoked cries of "echo chambers" and "censorship", called people "extreme left wingers", and proceeded to pretend that anyone who calls him out as a troll is "playing the victim card".

This is exactly the over the top toxic rhetoric which has permeated this sub forum, and been allowed to run rampant. It seems the only moderators who are around and checking in are from Edmonton, who have zero context about how bad things have gotten, and are too afraid and pussy footing around to actually delete these toxic posts, call people out on their BS, and actually moderate the forum.

As such, this place will continue it's slide, and these voices preaching about echo chambers and censorship can enjoy yelling at the empty room.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 6:55 AM

Interesting. It's the opposite experience for me. I go to SRC when I want to learn what being built and to find out about new projects. The only time I was ever finding out about new projects is when people would post links to surprise. lol. I find it great for knowledge. I've noticed architects and developers have been posting there....something that used to happen here, but hasn't for ages.

As for Reddit, yeah, it's beyond ridiculous. I haven't been there for a few years, but it actually caused me to lose sleep. Never again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomad View Post
ugh.. never go to reddit. avoid that and as much social/broadcast media as possible for a month and you won't believe how much cleaner your head feels

inversely, it's why I like SSP. if I'm interested in learning about what's being built in a particular city, I can come browse the thread, ask questions, etc.. and there is at times a wealth of knowledge here. I can't say for myself, but I'm guessing construction and development news doesn't get huge coverage in broadcast media..

in any case, it's good to have both sites. while I appreciate all the efforts put into SRC, I just can't be bothered to sign up for an account when the banter essentially consists of googleable questions and thanks for the pics posts

as a slight tangent, an interesting read on techniques used to slide forums, etc.. wouldn't have thought add revenue from a place like this would be worth it? but as the world constantly shows, there's no limit to the depth of strange..

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 6:57 AM

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 7:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
Somewhat ironically on this very topic about moving forward, Corndogger has invoked cries of "echo chambers" and "censorship", called people "extreme left wingers", and proceeded to pretend that anyone who calls him out as a troll is "playing the victim card".

This is exactly the over the top toxic rhetoric which has permeated this sub forum, and been allowed to run rampant. It seems the only moderators who are around and checking in are from Edmonton, who have zero context about how bad things have gotten, and are too afraid and pussy footing around to actually delete these toxic posts, call people out on their BS, and actually moderate the forum.

As such, this place will continue it's slide, and these voices preaching about echo chambers and censorship can enjoy yelling at the empty room.
You're saying the same crap in every post. Ask your scriptwriters for new content and to do some research. Better yet, stop targeting me. You're not going to get what you want by demonizing me or anyone else here.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 7:04 AM

Ironically the mods have done at least some censorship. They deleted my post where I criticized the mods for not doing enough. Lol.
I told them it wasn’t just this thread that was toxic, some of the people over at skyrise left because of the Canada section and because it wasn’t moderated properly. That post magically disappeared
Quote:

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 7:12 AM

SSP used to be a place where you get info, but it doesn’t seem like it much these days, and instread finding that SRC is where I’m getting all the info, and none of it googleable. Part of it is people who are members there share info through private messages, I’ve seen piles of renderings haven’t been made public, people here at SSP probably haven’t even heard of the projects let alone seen the renderings.
Anyhow, sorry I don’t mean to drag this into an SSP versus SRC debate, but I wanted to point out that my experience there has been much different. I plan on keeping my accounts at both places, but SRC will be my go to site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomad View Post

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 7:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
You're saying the same crap in every post. Ask your scriptwriters for new content and to do some research. Better yet, stop targeting me. You're not going to get what you want by demonizing me or anyone else here.
Are you still yammering on? Don’t you have anything better to do?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 7:16 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown_Tim View Post
Ironically the mods have done at least some censorship. They deleted my post where I criticized the mods for not doing enough. Lol.
I told them it wasn’t just this thread that was toxic, some of the people over at skyrise left because of the Canada section and because it wasn’t moderated properly. That post magically disappeared
I can say that the post(s) was/were off-topic and I was trying to get the thread back on topic. Here, such posts are on-topic so they will most likely not be deleted.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 1:43 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Yes you are. I miss the days where you made yourself scarce on this site.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 2:48 PM

Quote:

Constant talk about condo investment potential (which was brought up by suburban dwellers who hate condos), constant talk about inner city crime (precipitated by suburbia), constant talk about how houses are superior living abodes.

That isn't what people came to the Calgary Construction thread for, yet suburban dwellers kept pestering and polluting the thread, even as other threads were created to focus the irrelevant conversations elsewhere.

Look at you go. Talk about having blinders on. The "suburbs" are evil crowd were just as bad. That's the point. There are so many experts here that think their point of view is the only one and loose their sh#t when someone disagrees with them. Both the inner city and the burbs have their good points and their bad points. For me it just comes down tho where you are in life that one works better than the other but you can't have that kind of on the fence pinion here because people like your omnipotent point of view.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 2:57 PM
Khan

I suppose that I qualify as a long-time user of this forum (although admittedly I'm more of a lurker than an active poster). I certainly miss the old days when the Calgary Construction thread was a great blend of construction updates, heated discussion, and even some news-breaking. There certainly was a sense of community that I valued (especially after moving away from Calgary) that no longer exists.

I still think that there is a place for this forum. SRC is great for photo updates but there is essentially no debate or discussion.

Anyway, I mostly just post in the Canada and off-topic subforums in the political threads now. But I would certainly re-engage in the Calgary subforum if the quality of posting improved.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 3:33 PM
Reach for the heavens

I've been to SRC a few times and there is good discussion around construction and such, better than SSP, but there isn't much else discussed there. Here you've got discussion on politics, roads, the new arena, weather and sports, and others things. I find the discussion here has more variety.

Quote:
SSP used to be a place where you get info, but it doesn’t seem like it much these days, and instread finding that SRC is where I’m getting all the info, and none of it googleable. Part of it is people who are members there share info through private messages, I’ve seen piles of renderings haven’t been made public, people here at SSP probably haven’t even heard of the projects let alone seen the renderings.
Anyhow, sorry I don’t mean to drag this into an SSP versus SRC debate, but I wanted to point out that my experience there has been much different. I plan on keeping my accounts at both places, but SRC will be my go to site.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 3:42 PM
Reach for the heavens

I agree. While I would like to see a few members disappear, and be able to wipe away posts now and then, there would be no point to the forum, if that's the only soultion.

You have to ask yourself, what kind of forum is it where someone has to constantly control the content? Censoring is a band-aid method to a symptom. If the forum can't stand on its own with the members it has, it has a whole other problem.

Quote:
There's no arguments, etc. at SRC because it's an echo chamber. Is that what you want here? No dissenting opinions? This forum does not need policing. I would argue it doesn't even need moderation. What it does need is a lot more open-minded people and a lot less preaching from ideologues trying to indoctrinate those that don't agree with them.

There also needs to be a lot less bitching about how good this place used to be. As far as I'm concerned one of the main reasons this place is the way it is now is because every tenth post or so is like that. SRC isn't a result of this place falling apart. It was a business opportunity for someone and they ran with it. It would have happened regardless of how great this place was.

Anyway, put me down for NO censorship and I don't care if we go off topic occasionally. The world isn't black & white so would this forum be? If you don't like something skip over it.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 3:44 PM
Reach for the heavens

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Yes you are. I miss the days where you made yourself scarce on this site.
The problem is you're no different. Everyone on here is accusing others of being trolls, when their opinion doesn't match theirs.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 4:34 PM

I'm committed to SSP. I like me some spicy conversation.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 4:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
I said it during the election, and I'll say it again. I feel that this forum has become toxic, and find myself simply avoiding it most of the time.
It was interesting for me. I stayed away for some weeks / couple months - and when I returned, I still found certain forumers complaining about me spoiling things, and I look back at that period and it was among the worst. You know, it goes back to the adage - if forumers have something to contribute or something nice to say, great, but otherwise, we need to question when we post.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
The "suburbs" are evil crowd were just as bad. That's the point. There are so many experts here that think their point of view is the only one and loose their sh#t when someone disagrees with them.
This is equal parts Trump level "whataboutism" combined with absurd revisionist history.

Can you name a poster who repeatedly spammed the Construction Thread with links to suburban crime? No? I can name one who spammed it with urban crime.

Can you name a poster who repeatedly sidetracked the Construction Thread with talk about the positives of real estate investing in condominiums? No? Well I can name one who spammed the negatives of condo investments.

The fact is the nature of this forum as a place to discuss mainly urban development means that it would be generally harder for those who are interested in urban development to troll. Their interest by it's very nature would lead to productive conversations about developments.

Those who are aggressively opposed to it, to the inner city lifestyle, and so on, are by their very nature more prone to preach, as if they have some grand lesson to teach the world about their brilliant insights into why inner city living is bad.

These people are more prone to send a variety of threads wildly off topic with their soap box preaching.

In either case, moderation should be on top of it. If an urban dweller attacks the suburbs in a manner not related to the thread, it should be removed. Same with the reverse.

Saying "both sides" is missing the point entirely, and yet another in a long line of "echo chamber", "censorship", "extreme left winger", "playing the victim" and so on rhetoric that is absurdly toxic, not helpful, and only sows the seeds of discord.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 5:08 PM

Quote:
It kind of blows my mind that Xelebes took the trouble to remove all references to SRC in the construction thread, yet left pages and pages of toxic unhelpful posts.

If I could make a suggestion to the mods, it seems that none of you really have context into the problem individuals, why everybody is pointing the finger at moderation, and why what is happening to the Calgary forum is solely a problem with moderation.

If I could recommend a solution, it would be to pick 5-6 cool headed individuals from the Calgary forum and make them mods. Give them the power to delete off topic posts. Give them the power to issue warnings. Maybe don't give them the power to suspend/ban, but allow them to escalate a suspend/ban decision to someone else if necessary.

People who still contribute to this forum know whats going on, and know how to make it better. Pick 5.

I think guys like Calgarian, speedog, Habanero, RollerStud98, design-mind, milomilo, BlaineN, msmariner, DizzyEdge would all be good choices. Let us self organize. This Edmonton level "checking in" moderation isn't working.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 5:38 PM

Quote:
It kind of blows my mind that Xelebes took the trouble to remove all references to SRC in the construction thread, yet left pages and pages of toxic unhelpful posts.

If I could make a suggestion to the mods, it seems that none of you really have context into the problem individuals, why everybody is pointing the finger at moderation, and why what is happening to the Calgary forum is solely a problem with moderation.

If I could recommend a solution, it would be to pick 5-6 cool headed individuals from the Calgary forum and make them mods. Give them the power to delete off topic posts. Give them the power to issue warnings. Maybe don't give them the power to suspend/ban, but allow them to escalate a suspend/ban decision to someone else if necessary.

People who still contribute to this forum know whats going on, and know how to make it better. Pick 5.

I think guys like Calgarian, speedog, Habanero, RollerStud98, design-mind, milomilo, BlaineN, msmariner, DizzyEdge would all be good choices. Let us self organize. This Edmonton level "checking in" moderation isn't working.

Good thing your opinion is the only one that matters.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation