HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 7:31 AM

"Nonis, you're fired"

Canucks fire GM Dave Nonis

By Ben Kuzma, Vancouver Province
Published: Monday, April 14, 2008

Let the speculation begin.

No sooner did Vancouver Canucks chairman and owner Francesco Aquilini announce the firing of general manager Dave Nonis on Monday, than the guessing game as to his successor started.

In citing the rationale for relieving the Burnaby native his position with a year remaining on his contract - simply put the Canucks failed to advance to the playoffs two of the last three years - Aquilini sounded like he's seeking a return to a more wide-open product after the Canucks went 39-33-10 this NHL season.

"The decision to relieve Dave of his duties was difficult," Aquilini said in a prepared statement. "We want to thank Dave for the many contributions he has made helping to build our organization during his tenure.

"However, I think this important change in leadership is critical to the future of the team and the direction we need to take. It's not acceptable to our fans or to us as owners that our team isn't in the playoffs.

"As owners we made a commitment to deliver the kind of hockey our fans deserve. At the same time, with leadership comes responsibility. So, our search begins today for a new general manager, and our focus going forward is on a winning season in 2008-09."

Nonis, 41, was hoping with $35.1 million US committed to salaries for next season - and the salary cap possibly rising from $50.3 million to at least $55 million - this would be the offseason to really put his stamp on the club.

That's why the firing caught Canucks associate coach Rick Bowness by surprise. Reached in Phoenix on Monday night, he said his fate and that of coach Alain Vigneault and assistant Mike Kelly has not been decided yet.

"I'm very shocked like I'm sure everyone will be," said Bowness. "I've been in the league for 33 years now and this is the best game in the world, but it's a tough, tough business. And today is an example of that."

Bowness added that it's tough to fathom that the Canucks were playing for the Northwest Division lead on March 21, but then the injury-riddled club lost six of its next seven games to cost Nonis his job.

"We all know how disappointed everyone is with the finish," added Bowness. "I go back to that Minnesota game and we played very well and lost 2-1, played very well against Colorado and lost 4-2 and outplayed Edmonton and lost 2-1.

"Wins could have turned that whole thing around for us."

It's moot now, but with the Canucks missing the injured Mattias Ohlund, Aaron Miller, Lukas Krajicek, Brendan Morrison, Taylor Pyatt and Mason Raymond for the most-pivotal games at the end of the regular season didn't help.

Bowness also added that Nonis allowed the coaching staff to do its job and there was never any interference on how the team was playing or who was playing.

"Dave was absolutely wonderful," said Bowness. "This is a first-class organization and the best one I've been involved with. We love the passionate following for the team and Dave let us do our jobs.

"He was the GM and we were the coaches and that's the way it should be."

Bowness spoke with Vigneault on Monday and asked if he should be rushing back to Vancouver.

"Alain said: 'Not yet," said Bowness.

The Nonis firing may put the pending Fabian Brunnstrom signing in some jeopardy. Nonis wooed the 23-year-old unrestricted free agent forward from Sweden, but a management change may affect his desire to come here. Or, it may not.

The undrafted Brunnstrom had 37 points [9-28] this season with Farjestads BK Karlstad of the Swedish Elite League and the prospect of top-six ice time - plus an opportunity to play alongside countrymen Henrik and Daniel Sedin - helped land the left winger.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 7:36 AM

Not surprised. The team was supposed to improve over last season. They didn't even make the playoffs.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 7:48 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Not surprised either, but I'm not too happy with it. W/E as long as they can get to the playoffs next season, I don't care what they do in the backroom.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 7:50 AM

I want Burke back.....I stopped following last season, simply gave up and thankfully I did...didn't miss much 2007-2008.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 7:54 AM

Isn't Burke still under contract with Anaheim?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 9:21 AM

Yes he is, but he has an agreement with the owner to pursue certain jobs if he chooses

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 2:16 PM

Horrible move IMO, and a typical knee jerk response to the pressures of a Canadian hockey market by an owner who is missing playoff revenue.

Nonis has pointed this team in the right direction more than any other GM in the Canucks history. He realized that successful organizations are built through the draft and has done the same with the likes of Raymond, Edler etc, and for the first time I can remember we actually have quality prospects in the system. A far cry from the Quinn days (Polasek, Herter) and the Burke days (Nathan Smith).

He's spent the last 4 years cleaning up Burke's mess and this offseason was his chance to prove himself.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutterbug View Post
Not surprised. The team was supposed to improve over last season. They didn't even make the playoffs.
true, but i'm not sure nonis is to blame for that.

roberto stumbled near the finish line and the nucks D was never whole for the year.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sync View Post
true, but i'm not sure nonis is to blame for that.

roberto stumbled near the finish line and the nucks D was never whole for the year.
Brad Isbister, Ritchie, Mike weaver, taylor pyatt, jeff cowan, you got to be kidding me.

Great organizations field great teams every season. They don't sit back and wait till contracts expire. Nonis was a rookie and didn't have the ability and balls to pull trades when scoring was needed.

Canuck fans need to get a reality check and realize this organization has been pathetic. We shouldn't be building a prospect base after 38 years of drafting.

It's time fans stop saying "wait till next year".

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 5:32 PM

People very quickly forget that Nonis got us Roberto, and the Canucks the season before last won the division and set a franchise points record + went as far in the playoffs as Burke ever did with this team.

I don't entirely understand why people want Burke back. He didn't make Anaheim. He was given the team largely intact that won the Stanley Cup, and while it may be argued that he expertly manipulated loop-holes last year to stay under the cap and ultimately bring back the same team, if Dallas goes up 3-0 tonight, I think the Ducks will be 4 and out.

I hope to heck it wasn't a knee jerk reaction due to the idiots that call up the Team 1040 near constantly. I listened to a bunch of callers last night and wanted to just ask them all "So what do you do for a living?... oh that's right flip burgers." since it's just amazing how people suddenly believe in magic and live in a fantasy world when they become an outspoken closet GM. "TRADE LUONGO" one person said... for who? For what? "FOR SCORING" What scoring? Who?

Canadian hockey markets are good in that it really drives a team and the passion can be great when you win, but the negative is that a lot of the vocal people in a Canadian hockey market when things aren't entirely going as planned, are idiots and just make me want to smack them back into reality.

Oh well I guess we'll see how it goes from here. I was looking forward to seeing how Nonis would handle having $20 million+ to play with this off season with trades. Had he secured this prospect everyone has been talking about for an entry contract and still had a pile of money to play with, get another nice scorer in here, sign Morison to a 1 year lower deal (which he seemed interested in) and move Nasland to a different style team for some grit allowing you to name a new captain, and things would have been interesting.

People that have never had children don't understand the stresses involved in a difficult pregnancy. It doesn't surprise me that as much as Lungo said he was fine, that it was eating at him. That plus the fact that he was here in Vancouver when his wife was in Florida, while it is part of hockey, that added stress I don't think helped. Not to mention not having a healthy D in front of you meant a lot more stresses in game on Luongo and it just combines to being difficult.

I have to give them credit for being only 3 points out for the simple fact that if you look at all the other teams that had half the injury troubles the Canucks had, they either lost 90% of their games while those players were out, or missed the playoffs too. Not an excuse, but I dunno.

I'm with 98fb though on the guys he named above. I was shaking my head a bit about those guys. But then again, every GM makes mistakes. The job of a GM in hockey tends to involve a lot of guess work and crossing fingers. Sometimes the gambles don't pay off.

*shrug*

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 12:54 AM
I worship Led Zeppelin

I don't want Burke back, I want someone like Bowman or Holland that can really make us cup contenders.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 3:42 AM

Burke most likely won't be back since he was closely aligned with the other group in the lawsuit over the sale of the Canucks.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 4:18 AM

Hmm...had coffee with Trevor this morning and he never mentioned it.

heh, PM me for deets

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 4:32 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

*l* I had lunch with Trevor yesterday, small world.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 7:52 AM

Trevor is a gangster.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 6:51 PM

Memo to Canucks fans: Be afraid. Be very afraid

Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
Published: Wednesday, April 16, 2008

We always knew this day was coming, that this outcome was possible. It was ownership's first test.

You be the judge whether Francesco Aquilini and his brothers passed or failed.

Forget the public persona Aquilini presented Tuesday while making it official that Dave Nonis is gone as the general manager of the Vancouver Canucks. That's mere cosmetics.

Sure, you'd like to think that the owner of your favourite sports team might be able to express a thought that wasn't written down by one of his public relations flacks, or answer a question without recycling one of the many catch-words from his prepared text -- like "sustainability" and "leadership," neither of which he seemed to know how to define.

Yes, the explanation for firing Nonis would be easier to swallow (a media wag pointed out Tuesday) if the owner hadn't borrowed his rationale from Spider-Man. "With great power," Peter Parker's dying Uncle Ben told Spidey's alter-ego, "comes great responsibility." Aquilini -- or his speechwriter -- didn't even credit the source.

And yes, you'd like to think he'd have a better answer to the question of what style of hockey he wanted the new administration to adopt than: "My favourite style is winning."

And it would have been more satisfying if he could have come up with any reason for firing Nonis other than "we didn't make the playoffs, and Canuck fans deserve better."

Deserve? Says who?

Let's be honest: the first test was always going to be about money, and that's all there is to this story: at issue was the few million dollars the Canucks' owners failed to rake in because their team missed out on two playoff dates, which is all they were going to get even if they had managed to squeak in.

A few million dollars which -- compared to the enormous pool of revenue the newly certified keepers of the Canuck commercial juggernaut have squeezed so thoroughly from every private and corporate pore in the Lower Mainland and beyond -- is such a drop in the bucket, it makes you cringe to think what the knee-jerk reaction might entail if they ever lose some real money.

A few million dollars was left on the table by the Nonis administration, and the Aquilinis swung the axe. As if Nonis personally stole the money that rightfully belonged in the family till.

So now we know. We couldn't tell until things went a little sour, but now we know.

Be afraid, Canuck fans. Be very afraid.

Your team's owners have hit the first pothole in their path to untold riches, and unless we are very much mistaken, they have punched the panic button without having a hot clue how to proceed from here.

"We operate many successful businesses," Aquilini said ... as if the Canucks were an unsold apartment, and Nonis was a lazy building superintendent, or a low-grossing sales manager.

Well, maybe that's what owners do. It's their cash cow, why shouldn't they have the family brand on it?

They didn't ask for Dave Nonis, they inherited him from John McCaw, so they want their own man on the job, and that man will want his own coach, so no doubt Alain Vigneault is on borrowed time. And therefore, so are his assistants, and so on down the line. Presumably, the scouts will not escape a hard examination of the Canucks' recent draft record, nor should they.

Three seasons, Nonis got.

It's not much, but there is no denying the club missed the playoffs two of his three years in charge, and did so ignobly both times. The notion that a hockey club should get a little better each year or expect to be asked why, is not unreasonable. This one finished with the fewest points of any Canuck team in nine seasons.

The middle season of Nonis's three -- with the novelty of Roberto Luongo's big-time goaltending providing the team an adrenalin rush -- may have been the natural bounce that comes after being dropped from a great height, or it may have been the real thing. We'll never know, because that team is history.

There are all kinds of reasons the Canucks took a huge step backward this year, the biggest one -- crippling injuries on defence -- being absolutely no fault of Dave Nonis. But some of the reasons were his fault, or at least they occurred on his watch, which amounts to the same thing.

Nonis had control over the scouts, and approved their draft choices. If nothing very significant came out of the draft in the way of scoring forwards during his time as their boss, that's on him. The forwards he added last summer, Brad Isbister and Byron Ritchie, were non-entities. Almost anyone could have told him they would be.

He gambled that he had the inside track on Peter Forsberg, and lost. He stood pat at the trade deadline.

He had to guess how much Markus Naslund had left in the tank when he gave him three years at $6 million per season, and overshot by two years.

He laughed -- almost anyone would have -- at suggestions that to get a big-time scoring forward at the deadline, he might have to give up the Sedins. A few months later, they have everyone wondering. He thought they would learn from last year's playoffs, and was wrong. He was not alone, but he was in charge.

Nonis had the final say on giving Luongo all the time he wanted at the all-star break to go home and see his wife, even permitting him to miss a regular-season start. In hindsight, benefit of which Nonis didn't have when he gave the okay, it was the beginning of the goalie's downward spiral.

Absentee players' families, like absentee owners, are bad news. You can't make a player move his family to the city where he plays, but you don't have to indulge him, either, if he chooses to be a long-distance hubbie. Unless he's giving the money back.

Even so, no one expected Luongo to break down when he was needed most. We're all guilty of failing to predict that. But not all of us are out of a job today.

Nonis won't be, for long.

He's a good man, and a loyal one, and if another team doesn't call, Brian Burke probably will -- either from Anaheim or Toronto, where the Hogtown scribes are convinced he can't possibly resist the siren song from the Centre of the Universe.

Nonis's successor, meanwhile, will inherit a team with cap room, a fast-developing goaltender on the farm, and a surplus of defencemen with which to barter for offensive help, thanks to Alex Edler falling out of the sky last year.

Who, exactly, is that successor? The choice will tell us more about the Aquilinis, about their tastes, about their willingness to hire a competent man and then leave him alone. Or it will tell us whether anyone with credibility will sign up for the chance to work for owners this intrusive, this impulsive.

Meanwhile, it's well within their rights to adopt "Off with their heads!" as the ownership slogan. They're paying the bills.

But let's see who answers the help-wanted advertisement, knowing what we know now.

ccole@png.canwest.com

QUOTE, UNQUOTE: AQUILINI SPEAKS:

We've got a great foundation. I think we can build on it and it's going to be the challenge of the new GM to provide that.

Leadership is vision. You have to have a vision where you want to go, have to have the support group around you to get you there.

It's about quality people committed to what they're doing, people who serve the organization, who care, who get the job done.

Online vote: Did Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini make the right choice in firing GM Dave Nonis?

Yes 51.39%

N0 48.61%

As of Tuesday evening. Register your vote at VancouverSun.com under

Editor's Picks. See E3

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 3:09 AM
Van City

Mike Gillis named new Canucks GM

Elliott Pap, Vancouver Sun
Published: Tuesday, April 22, 2008

VANCOUVER — Player agent Mike Gillis is expected to be announced Wednesday as the new general manager of the Vancouver Canucks.

Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini would neither confirm nor deny the hiring.

“I don’t have any comment,” Aquilini said late this afternoon.

Gillis, 49, is a former NHL player with the Boston Bruins and former Colorado Rockies. He has never worked in management but has represented players since 1991.

His first client was former Canuck Geoff Courtnall and he currently represents Canuck captain Markus Naslund. He also represented Pavel Bure.

“I think he’d be phenomenal,” Courtnall said today. “He’s a really smart guy.”

Gillis is a native of Sudbury, Ont., He has two children and moved to Vancouver last summer to accommodate his daughter’s field hockey career.

Aquilini fired Dave Nonis on April 14 after the Canucks missed the playoffs for the second time in three years. Former Dallas Stars GM Doug Armstrong and ex-player agent Brian Lawton were also in the running.

http://www.canada.com/globaltv/bc/st...bdf619&k=92611

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 4:00 AM
Yellow Fever

Is this Mike Gillis related to Hall of Famer and former NY Islander forward Clark Gillis ? I used to work with a lady and her son is Clark's nephew. He is only 19 and just signed with the Minnesota Wild for $ 2.6 millions.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 4:19 AM

^ Isn't that Clark Gillies?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 4:27 AM
Yellow Fever

^^ I am stupid!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation