HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 8:04 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I think Lethbridge is almost there as well, probably around 95k this year

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 4:46 PM
of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
I think Lethbridge is almost there as well, probably around 95k this year
I don't think a population based on political boundaries is the most accurate way to go. With that in mind, Lethbridge is already there:

https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-r...&GK=CMA&GC=810

Scroll down to the CMA/CA section and what you might refer to as Lethbridge if you were from somewhere else was at 105k in 2011.
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 3:16 AM
ARTchitecture

I think they're just talking about municipalities here, but yes the Lethbridge Census Agglomeration has been over 100 000 for a while now. I've always found it weird that Red Deer doesn't have a CA, as the region surrounding Red Deer is way more densely populated than the area around Lethbridge, and there are several towns over 10 000 people in very close proximity to Red Deer. Red Deer's CA would be about 140 - 150 000, while Lethbridge's is currently 120 000.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2015, 6:16 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWin View Post
I don't think a population based on political boundaries is the most accurate way to go. With that in mind, Lethbridge is already there:

https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-r...&GK=CMA&GC=810

Scroll down to the CMA/CA section and what you might refer to as Lethbridge if you were from somewhere else was at 105k in 2011.
I agree, what I tend to focus on are contiguous urban areas, a 20k town a 30 min drive away doesn't really mean much to the main city in my opinion, but it does when the 20k town's border is a shared street with the main municipality.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 4:48 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

The Statistics Canada’s Quarterly Population Report released June 17 estimates Alberta at 4,175,409.

This brings AB within 491k of BC.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/91-002-...015001-eng.htm

Old Posted Aug 10, 2015, 4:20 AM
ARTchitecture

The combined population growth of municipalities which have released their census results so far is around 58 000. This of course does not include Edmonton, most of its suburbs, Grande Prairie, Wood Buffalo, and many other cities and towns. This growth is quite impressive for a downturn.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 2:11 AM
ARTchitecture

Grande Prairie is now nearly 70 000 people, quite a leap forward they have made since 2011. They have grown by over 13 500 people in only 4 years. That may seem like a drop in the bucket to Calgary in Edmonton, but that's significantly higher in absolute numbers than both Lethbridge (11 300) and Red Deer (10 200), which are both also very fast growing in Canadian terms. If Grande Prairie keeps up this 15 - 25% every 5 years growth they've been doing for a while, it may not be long until Alberta has our fifth urban area over 100 000 people. Mid 2020s or early 2030s I'd guess.

Last edited by Chadillaccc; Aug 18, 2015 at 2:36 AM.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 6:03 AM

I'm surprised Red Deer is the slowest growing of the 3. I would've expected Lethbridge to be last as well. Interesting number crunching, Chad.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 7:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Grande Prairie is now nearly 70 000 people, quite a leap forward they have made since 2011. They have grown by over 13 500 people in only 4 years. That may seem like a drop in the bucket to Calgary in Edmonton, but that's significantly higher in absolute numbers than both Lethbridge (11 300) and Red Deer (10 200), which are both also very fast growing in Canadian terms. If Grande Prairie keeps up this 15 - 25% every 5 years growth they've been doing for a while, it may not be long until Alberta has our fifth urban area over 100 000 people. Mid 2020s or early 2030s I'd guess.
But once you throw in the county and the surrounding towns, it is already pretty close to 100,000.

Grande Prairie is already feeling more grown up with the upcoming Janet Jackson and Shania Twain concerts.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 3:54 PM

Look at GPs economic area, they are now picking up people that would have once driven down to Edmonton to shop. With the growth and increased retail their Economic area cover most of NE BC.

I will be in GP on the 1st so I may be able to update photos then. When I am not shooting the Tour of Alberta.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 4:20 PM

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 1:33 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegx View Post
But once you throw in the county and the surrounding towns, it is already pretty close to 100,000.

Grande Prairie is already feeling more grown up with the upcoming Janet Jackson and Shania Twain concerts.
Census Division 11, home to Grande Prairie, is home to around 125 000 people now, and at only 20 500 km2, it is the smallest CD in Northern Alberta. It also gives the region a population density of 6.1/km2, not bad at all for a vast region in the north. This is similar to the density of our province.

I look forward to following the city's future, as with the development of NE BC's vast natural gas deposits, Grande Prairie will only become more and more important as a service centre as time goes on. The city already has an impressive amount of mid-rise office buildings for being under 70 000, but would love to see more, and a couple of high rises to join MNP Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Look at GPs economic area, they are now picking up people that would have once driven down to Edmonton to shop. With the growth and increased retail their Economic area cover most of NE BC.

I will be in GP on the 1st so I may be able to update photos then. When I am not shooting the Tour of Alberta.
That would be much appreciated Airboy! Would really love to see a quality updated shot of the city's downtown/skyline.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 5:59 PM

Quote:

That would be much appreciated Airboy! Would really love to see a quality updated shot of the city's downtown/skyline.
I will see what I can do. To bad the Curry museum is not open yet.
I have one day of work at the Sewage treatment plant then the next 2 weeks are mine. Will be catching the team time trial for the TOA on the 2nd. then heading done the highway to Grande Cache and Jasper.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 6:05 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
I will see what I can do. To bad the Curry museum is not open yet.
I have one day of work at the Sewage treatment plant then the next 2 weeks are mine. Will be catching the team time trial for the TOA on the 2nd. then heading done the highway to Grande Cache and Jasper.
Yeah looks like you'll just miss the opening by a couple weeks. That blows man! Well either way, hope you have a good trip! Take lots of pretty pics for us!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 6:10 AM

the museum opens this friday

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 3:16 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
564k less than BC in 2013
512k less than BC in 2014
As of the most recent quarterly estimate, Alberta is now at 4 175 409 people, a quarterly growth of 15 365. This is in comparison to British Columbia's current population of 4 666 892 people, a quarterly growth of 7 620.

The population disparity has now shrunk to 491 000. For comparison, in just 2012 this difference was a whopping 654 000 people. That's over 160 000 in difference between the provincial populations gone in only 2.75 years.

All of that said, for reference, Alberta's most recent quarterly growth of 15 365 people is in stark contrast to the same quarter last year at 26 948. However, we're still at a year-over-year growth of 89 000 people. Not bad at all.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 3:33 PM

Strathcona 2015 Census #'s

Strathcona total at 95597 (from 92403, in 2012)
Sherwood Park total at 68782 (from 65465, in 2012)

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 1:53 PM
Hamletropolis

Not sure what the official numbers will be for the Urban Service Area of Fort McMurray but the census count put the population in Wood Buffalo at 125,032.
http://www.rmwb.ca/Municipal-Government/Census-2015.htm

Old Posted Sep 20, 2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
they need to update their sign, the city limit sign when you enter i think says 51,500 or something like that, i'll pay attention next time

before that sign and i am assuming out of city limits is a crapload of development and houses as far as the eye can see

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 7:16 PM
Briareos Hecatonchires

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
they need to update their sign, the city limit sign when you enter i think says 51,500 or something like that, i'll pay attention next time

before that sign and i am assuming out of city limits is a crapload of development and houses as far as the eye can see
The population shown on most, if not all city limits signs in GP is that of the 2011 federal census, which is 55,032. That was the last census taken prior to 2015. You'll notice this on Street View. I'm pretty sure the city of GP will update these signs to reflect that of this year's census (68,556) pretty soon.

If you're referring to the north end of GP, yes, there's been quite a bit of development. All that development north of the city limits is actually part of the hamlet of Clairmont and/or County of Grande Prairie.

Last edited by CanadianCentaur; Oct 3, 2015 at 6:32 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia