HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Rush Hospital East Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 24, 2009, 9:56 PM
The City

Does anybody have those old renderings of that new neighborhood planned in the Illinois Medical District at the site of what was going to be a tech park? The addition of that in this area would go a long way towards creating a more cohesive urban neighborhood.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 24, 2009, 10:05 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
For those of you concerned about demolition of historic buildings (as am I), I found this quote from the link above interesting:

The new hospital is the center piece of a $900 million, eight-year campus redevelopment plan called the Rush Transformation, which also includes a new orthopedic ambulatory building, parking garage and central power plant, renovations of selected older buildings and demolition of obsolete buildings.

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 12:08 AM

Unfortunately the "selected older buildings" to be renovated are the relatively modern buildings built in the 1950's and 60's. All of the 100+ year old buildings wil be demolished, as it would cost more money to renovate these and get them up to todays codes, than to just plow them down. There is one building in particular that I really would like to see saved, and I think it should be turned into some sort of medical museum. Its on the north west corner of Wood and Congress st. It was the first building built in the Rush Medical center. They added a couple story vertical addition to it in later years and took off the old (and I think cooler looking) roofing. Unfortuantley this is one of the first buildings that is scheduled to go.

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 5:34 AM

Progress!

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 1:32 PM
The City

^ Yeah, that really sucks that Rush doesn't want to preserve some of its oldest buildings--one would figure they would see them as a link to their own past as a growing University.

But in so far as I have seen, hospitals are absolutely horrific when it comes to land development and preservation. That's not just a Chicago thing--that is a problem everywhere

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 10:47 PM

These are the buildings that are slated to be demolished sometime after 2012. Goodbye history of Rush . Everything west of the tall Kellogg elevated shaft on Congress, all the buildings on Wood street, and the buildings west of the Jelke building on Harrison will be gone. This is kind of a 360 of those buildings.

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 11:15 PM

Orthopedic building, new garage, and power plant

Does anyone know anything about "poly-foam"? The entire terrain south of the ortho building to the power plant was filled with 7-8ft of these giant white cubes. I imagine that they are put there to reduce the weight load on the connecting tunnel structure below as dirt and rocks would be an enormous amount of weight added with the road over head. I looked into it a little bit and read that a good portion of Millennium Park had used poly-foam for the same reason of weight reduction. Does any one know what this stuff is made of or how much it weighs per cubic ft vs dirt?

Old Posted May 31, 2009, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
Does anyone know anything about "poly-foam"? The entire terrain south of the ortho building to the power plant was filled with 7-8ft of these giant white cubes. I imagine that they are put there to reduce the weight load on the connecting tunnel structure below as dirt and rocks would be an enormous amount of weight added with the road over head. I looked into it a little bit and read that a good portion of Millennium Park had used poly-foam for the same reason of weight reduction. Does any one know what this stuff is made of or how much it weighs per cubic ft vs dirt?
Thanks for all the photos JMT.

The stuff used at 345 N Clark and Trump Plaza is indistinguishable from Styrofoam to me.

May 30th - drive by

Old Posted May 31, 2009, 10:19 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
These are the buildings that are slated to be demolished sometime after 2012. Goodbye history of Rush . Everything west of the tall Kellogg elevated shaft on Congress, all the buildings on Wood street, and the buildings west of the Jelke building on Harrison will be gone. This is kind of a 360 of those buildings.
^ That almost makes one want to cry. Seriously, for a PARK? A PARK?

Are they alcoholics or something? What the hell gives them any indication that this particular part of town needs more EMPTY SPACE?

Last edited by the urban politician; Jun 1, 2009 at 12:13 AM.

Old Posted May 31, 2009, 10:36 PM
The City

^ Is there a flying chance in hell that the Orthopedic building will have retail space along the ground level?

Last edited by the urban politician; Jun 1, 2009 at 12:25 AM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 1:12 AM
Show me the blueprints

Retail or not, that Ortho building's a looker. ! like it.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 2:18 AM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Is there a flying chance in hell that the Orthopedic building will have retail space along the ground level?
Yes, there's some retail space at the corner of Ashland and Harrison.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 3:47 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Yes, there's some retail space at the corner of Ashland and Harrison.
^ So it's just a single corner retail as opposed to several retail spaces along Ashland?

I'm venturing to guess that a chain pharmacy will be snagging that space

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 6:21 AM

Retail?

I haven't heard that there was going to be retail in the Ortho building. I know there will be some sort of retail on the ground floor of the new main hospital on the corner of Harrison and Ashland. I also know for sure that there will be retail on the ground floor of Flournoy and Paulina in the new parking structure. Where did you hear the plans for retail in the ortho building spyguy? The first floor of the ortho building so far is just the main lobby for Midwest orthopedics and the street side of the building is void of any doors, not sure where they would put the retail .

Cool pics Harry, its nice to see from a different perspective!

Retail on ground floor.

Last edited by J_M_Tungsten; Jun 1, 2009 at 6:40 AM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 6:22 AM
TL;DR

^^ Eh, nothing wrong with that. I will be pissed when their signage clutters up that beautiful facade, though.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 6:27 AM

Ugh tell me about it Urban Politician, I can't stand to see these historic buildings be knocked down for a stupid park. I got some pics that showed these buildings back in there prime. Major renovations were done on these, but I still think they should be restored to there original glory and turned into a medical museum of some sorts.

Not the full shot, but you get the idea.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 6:33 AM

Nice pics JMT. Those buildings are potential gems - of course they are obsolete to serve as a hospital, but I see no reason to demolish them to make way for park space when they could just be mothballed temporarily for the eventuality that more office space will be demanded in the area. Those are irreplaceable.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 6:39 AM

Thanks Viva. Yea office space would be another great alternative to demolition, if only the "brains" behind this idea could see the potential.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^^ Eh, nothing wrong with that. I will be pissed when their signage clutters up that beautiful facade, though.
This is true.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 6:52 AM

New Main Hospital Pics

With all this talk of demolition, I forgot about the bread and butter of this campus transformation. Heres some pics from the 29th.

Look at all that steel!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive