HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

80 South Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 7:23 PM
New Yorker for life

Smile NEW YORK | 80 South Street | 1,000' Pinnacle / 835' Roof | FLOORS | NEVER BUILT

News of its death from the NY Post.

The remains.

The grim reaper visits curbed.com

Some passing photos:

curbed.com

Post your own photos and condolences.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 7:33 PM
YIMBY co-founder

The one part I never liked was that huge spire. The rest was pure genious. How do you make a skyscraper stand out in DT Manhattan? This is how.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 4:41 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
The one part I never liked was that huge spire. The rest was pure genious. How do you make a skyscraper stand out in DT Manhattan? This is how.
yeah, the spire always seemed a bit extraneous, even distracting, on this one, but the stacked off-set cubes by themselves constituted one of the coolest skyscraper designs of all time. hopefully santiago can incorporate some of its ideas into a future built project.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 12:49 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Idk, the spire completes the building. It would look funky without the spire. I love this building. Wish it could've gotten built. I never thought about how to make this building stand out, but about how to make it stand at all. Such a genius tower.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 8:25 AM

Damn it! I was really looking forward to this one.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 11:17 AM

I remember that at some point, it was presented as a sure thing.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 1:27 PM

Well, perpetual teasing is inhumane. Personally I got tired of the on-off conversation of this proposal. Wonderful architecture, but, if it not going to happen, then, let move on. Its a great location I sure something will be built eventually.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 2:39 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb View Post
I remember that at some point, it was presented as a sure thing.
Only because it was approved. However, no buyers could be found. Not the first nor the last time this will happen. It's just that the design of this one was better than most, so its loss is felt more.

Being that the site is now for sale, with additional air rights, maybe in a couple of years when the Downtown revival is more visible, the location will prove prime for a residential tower, which will have to be as slender as this one. Maybe another developer will be as inspired.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 2:34 AM
low-riding

sigh. this was my favorite proposal for new york. More so than the MOMA tower. oh well.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 4:52 PM

It had such a kick ass design. Can't believe that not enough people were interested in buying into that.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 12:01 AM
Tribune in all her glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
It had such a kick ass design. Can't believe that not enough people were interested in buying into that.
I know, right?

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 8:40 PM

Since it failed in New York, maybe they could try to market it and build it in Chicago? We dont seem to be struggling with finding buyers for all of our new residential towers? Just an idea! It would be great to just see it built!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 7:11 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoguy View Post
Since it failed in New York, maybe they could try to market it and build it in Chicago? We dont seem to be struggling with finding buyers for all of our new residential towers? Just an idea! It would be great to just see it built!

This one refuses to rest in peace...

http://downtownexpress.com/de_298/undercover.html

Cubes on ice

So many Downtown construction projects are delayed that we can’t possibly list all of them, but here’s one that’s been on-again, off-again: Santiago Calatrava’s tower of staggered condo cubes at 80 South St. is now officially on hold.

Frank Sciame, C.E.O. of Sciame Development, told Downtown Express several months ago that he was moving ahead with plans for the tower. But this month John Randolph, Sciame’s executive vice president for real estate, said pretty much the opposite.

“We’ll see as the market improves,” Randolph said. “We’ll make decisions at that time [about] the best plan for development, which very well may be the Calatrava Tower…. All the options are open as the economy and markets improve.”

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 1:44 AM
Charismatic Stallion

My take on this concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
I don't think it was that people weren't interested, but that they only offered full "cubes", which meant that each one cost around $30 million. Even in the biggest boom times, it's hard to find 12 people who are willing to drop that kind of money.

Also, I'll bet that many people, even those who had the money, wouldn't want an entire cube. Each one must be at least 15,000 sq. feet, right? And if you're that successful, chances are you don't have enough time to relax in all that space.

And further, what can you do with 4 floors?

Really, how many TV's can a man watch? How many very similar views can a man appreciate? The answer in both cases in (probably) one.

So once you couple huge prices with an amount of space that people aren't necessarily interested in buying, you have a recipe for cancellation.

If this does ever get resurrected, let's hope that they offer single floors units. I'm sure that people will be fighting over them then.

Regardless, it's a true shame that this didn't get built. Oh well.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 6:06 PM

never really liked it.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2010, 11:33 AM
Closed account

Awsome! It looks really neat and it's a slim building. Too bad it was overturned and will not get built.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2010, 10:39 PM

Yeah, this was a very unique building.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 1:28 PM
The Vomit Bag.

what an interesting building. box breaking. I wish NYC could return to the 1940s skyline of spires and setbacks.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 12:24 AM

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Jun 19, 2011, 9:14 AM
Khurram Parvaz

This building had a uniqueness to it in that it has unique setback boxes and a spire somewhat reminiscent of the 30's skyscrapers and it was very modern. It basically catered to both parties who like modern and classical pre-war.

NEW YORK | 80 South Street | 1,000' Pinnacle / 835' Roof | FLOORS | NEVER BUILT - why not

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects