HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 6:01 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Any news about this? I believe somebody mentioned a while ago (kph06?) that they were already doing some sort of prep work on the roof of CCA.

This project should move very quickly once it starts because there's no foundation to put down.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 4:30 PM

My understanding is that it should start this spring. Sooner rather than later.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 6:12 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
After what I've been reading throughout the threads, the question is starting to become what I'SNT slated to start in the spring?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 6:25 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Spring Garden Road should have three projects: this one, the library, and the new TD building. On top of that, the Trillium will soon be finished.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I thought it was later then spring as they are still working to finish the "Vic" by the end of summer.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2011, 3:33 PM
You talkin' to me?

Suite life to go up atop Spring Garden complex
Dexel wants public to name 5-storey project
By CHRIS LAMBIE Business Editor
Sat, Mar 19 - 4:54 AM

Dexel Developments Ltd. is poised to start building a five-storey addition on top of City Centre Atlantic.

All the company needs is a name for the $18-million project that will house 96 apartments above Spring Garden Road in Halifax.

"We want the neighbourhood and the neighbouring businesses to help in the process," said Louie Lawen, Dexel’s president.

"City Centre Atlantic is a little bit too institutional."

He’s hoping someone will come up with a historical tidbit about the area that might lend itself to a moniker.

"I usually have an idea and I just completely blanked," Lawen said. "It has to do with the fact that the (existing) building is only 20 years old."

Pre-construction work, including moving in equipment and putting up boarding, will start within the month. Construction itself is slated to begin within three months, Lawen said.

more at this link... http://thechronicleherald.ca/Business/1233758.html

Old Posted Mar 19, 2011, 7:47 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Finally! Pete's Palace

Old Posted Mar 20, 2011, 12:31 AM

The Froot Bowl? (misspelling intentional, of course)

Old Posted Mar 20, 2011, 2:00 AM

Historical reference eh?

Does The Schmidtview fit the bill?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2011, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
The Froot Bowl? (misspelling intentional, of course)
Speaking as a gay man - I'd giggle everytime I saw the name.
The schmidtville is a little awkward to me. But Drop 'the' and add suites to the end would be kewl?

Last edited by halifaxboyns; Mar 20, 2011 at 6:56 AM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2011, 1:32 AM

Pete's FrootSuites?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 2:40 PM

Scaffolding has started to go up on the Birmingham sidewalk for this. And ANS was reporting today that Birmingham will become one way during construction starting next week.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2011, 4:11 PM

Great to hear this is getting started!

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 2:59 AM

Scaffoldings up:

Old Posted Jun 11, 2011, 9:15 PM

Photo by me today.

Scaffolding again on Birmingham, there is also scaffolding on Dresden Row. This project won't be the most exciting one to watch (can't see anything).

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 12:23 PM
Fizzix geek

I was in Pete's yesterday and noticed that they have scaffolding and temporary lighting up in the interior section of the central atrium (the part under the large section of skylights. Obviously starting to get ready to actually begin building over it.

Not an tremendously exciting building, but certainly some added density, especially when combined with the Trillium and hopefully soon the Sister sites. That whole area is really starting to come along nicely. Throw in the potential CBC/YMCA project and there could be surprising amount of residential density there.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 7:43 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
Not an tremendously exciting building, but certainly some added density, especially when combined with the Trillium and hopefully soon the Sister sites.
I find that people often overestimate the impact of large/tall buildings and underestimate average buildings like this one.

Many highrise developments in Halifax are very visible but are not high density. For example, the older highrise at Spring Garden and Summer is about 20 storeys but is set back from the street. It only covers about 1/8 of its lot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floor_area_ratio). To put this another way, the same number of units covering the lot would only go up to 2.5 floors or so. This is in the same ballpark as some townhouse developments.

Modest mid-scale development like this is probably going to account for most residential infill in the future, as it has in past years. Many people like to pronounce that nothing's been built in the city but that's not true -- there have been tons of little buildings that have gone under the radar.

I think Spring Garden specifically is starting to get large enough that it will be a really interesting spot in a few years. I can easily see success building on itself. If the population grows then more services will pop up and there will be more of an advantage to living in the area.

Ideally in the future the peninsula will absorb a big percentage of the region's population growth, making for a much more successful and much more interesting city.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I find that people often overestimate the impact of large/tall buildings and underestimate average buildings like this one.

Many highrise developments in Halifax are very visible but are not high density. For example, the older highrise at Spring Garden and Summer is about 20 storeys but is set back from the street. It only covers about 1/8 of its lot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floor_area_ratio). To put this another way, the same number of units covering the lot would only go up to 2.5 floors or so. This is in the same ballpark as some townhouse developments.

Modest mid-scale development like this is probably going to account for most residential infill in the future, as it has in past years. Many people like to pronounce that nothing's been built in the city but that's not true -- there have been tons of little buildings that have gone under the radar.

I think Spring Garden specifically is starting to get large enough that it will be a really interesting spot in a few years. I can easily see success building on itself. If the population grows then more services will pop up and there will be more of an advantage to living in the area.

Ideally in the future the peninsula will absorb a big percentage of the region's population growth, making for a much more successful and much more interesting city.
That's due in part to the angle controls that are used for all high density parcels (typically R-3 zones). I'm going from memory, but looking at the elevations, you would project a 60 degree angle up from the property line on each side. If the building didn't protrude, then no further angle measurements for building height were needed. If it did protrude, you'd have to measure where on the building the protrusion occured (how high up).

Then when looking at the application on a plan view (from above), you'd find the mid point of the protrusion (typically mid point of the proposed building) and project an 80 degree angle out from the mid point. If the 'protrusion' was captured by the 80 degree angle, you were okay. You could also pivot the angle if it would help. But if there was still a protrusion through the 80 degree, then the plan would have to be altered. To give you a better view of how they work, I found this old variance appeal from HRM. There are diagrams that show how the angles work, for those who are curious.

But it's the 60 degree angle from the PL that typically forced the buildings to a podium style, but so far back. Here in Calgary we don't do that, we have an envelope, but we use a combination of FAR, Floor plate restrictions and setbacks to establish the building envelope. So we may require a setback from the street, but with adjacent buildings there is usually very little. The floor plate restrictions usually apply once you reach a certain height, depending on the district. So if I look at the CC-X (Centre City Mixed Use) district, for any floor above 36m from grade - it's limited to a horizontal dimension of 44m wide and a floor area of 930 square metres. But in the CC-MH (Centre City Multi-residential high rise) district, any floor above 25m from grade has a maximum horizontal dimension of 37m and a maximum floor area of 650 square metres. These rules can be varied though. In both cases, the FAR is what limits the build out of the site - there is no height maximum.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2011, 12:01 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post

I totally agree with you... my comment about not being an exciting development has more to do with the design itself, which is just ho hum. What is exciting is the addition of even more people to the area, and especially with the sister sites.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2011, 9:07 PM

Just out of curiosity... Would anything like this be possible/practical at Spring Garden Place? It has a relatively large footprint, but only rises two stories above street level, despite being backed by a much taller building. I was walking down Dresden the other day and it struck me just how low it was, and how much it seemed to be a waste of space.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth