HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 8:22 PM
Skyriser

Blecch.. I already don’t like him.

Running for office without knowing what exactly to do is just a sign of a power grab. And running as a “political outsider” is a disqualification because he has no idea how to govern.

If he wanted to run for city council or school board or something like that to gain that kind of experience, that would be one thing but he has no known record of any sort of public service whatsoever. For example, a qualified candidate might start with leadership for a nonprofit.

Judging by his litany of failed developments, it seems like this is just another quixotic waste of money. Must’ve been a slow news day at the Devil to give him some free publicity...

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 9:13 PM

AirBNB's impact on AZ

Quote:
In the first year of its partnership with the state of Arizona, Airbnb Inc. generated $11.5 million in tax revenue for the state.

In 2016 Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey and San Francisco-based Airbnb created a partnership that allowed the home-sharing service to collect and remit state and local transaction privilege taxes on behalf of hosts and guests.

Starting in January 2017, Airbnb began collecting and remitting the 5.5 percent Short Term Rental Accommodations tax. When the state allowed the company to do this, it saved Airbnb customers the time and cost of filing complex tax returns; maximized tax revenue owed to state and local governments from home-sharing activities, and spared the Arizona Department of Revenue the cost of manually processing paper returns on a monthly basis.

Not only did Airbnb generate money for the state, its hosts brought in some money last year, too. In Arizona, Airbnb hosts earned a combined $94.9 million while housing more than 646,000 guests, according to information released by the company on Thursday.

“It’s exciting to see companies like Airbnb expand and continue to thrive in Arizona,” Ducey said in a statement. “Airbnb’s presence in the state has sparked positive economic impacts and given tourists more options when planning their trips.”

There are more than 10,000 Airbnb hosts throughout Arizona, and the company said the majority of them are sharing the homes they live in to earn a little extra money. The typical host in Arizona earned $6,100 last year, according to Airbnb.

“Gov. Ducey sought to make Arizona a sharing economy leader so the state and Arizona residents can receive the full economic benefits of home sharing,” said Laura Spanjian, Airbnb Public Policy Director, Southwest. “We’re glad Airbnb can help welcome a growing number of visitors to Arizona, while generating new revenue for the state and meaningful extra income to help our hosts make ends meet.”

The charts below show the number of Airbnb guests and total host income for Arizona's top home-sharing markets.
Anyone else here an Airbnb host? I started hosting in one of my properties last summer and have been very happy with it so far. I'm now under contract for another single family home to in part use as an Airbnb property.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...-in-taxes.html

Locked Article

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 6:22 PM

http://kjzz.org/content/616267/how-f...oenixs-melrose

A KJZZ piece on the success and continued transformation of the Melrose neighborhood into a more defined district. Already kind of is the 'gayborhood' of Phoenix. Plus, a rendering for a new proposed park and what's to happen to that drive-thru liquor store we've all grown to love.

Pieces like this remind me the lack of distinction between areas of Central Phx. Coronado and Garfield areas are separated by the 10 but there's little difference between the two...Coronado seems further along in terms of investment. Grand Avenue and around Roosevelt St feel more hipster.

I stayed in Barrio Viejo of Tucson over the weekend and was impressed how a short walk took you through distinct areas of downtown where the architecture and demographics shifted in blocks. Barrio Viejo, Armory Park, Downtown, Congress St, El Presidio, Warehouse arts district, 4th Ave, Main Gate--each area felt unique in its own right, made for an exciting walk; especially with the 4th Ave festival on Saturday. While we shouldn't sacrifice the health of a neighborhood exclusively for its identity (ie letting cool old buildings sit empty until they crumble) we should be actively promoting organic formation of these distinctive areas.

2nd st is one of those areas I'm watching as we see bars creeping towards Roosevelt from the Filmbar/Cobra cluster--hoping for a drinking street. Monroe and Central, of course, has a nice cluster and is usually packed on weekends. Grand Ave might as well be our primary arts area. Will be interesting to see where else comes to fruition. Sorry for the long post, curious how you guys feel or think where another distinctive area may pop up in the near future.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 7:05 PM

I was fairly annoyed on Saturday when I was trying to go to Copper Star and 7th Avenue was closed for an event. I ended up cutting through the neighborhood and figured why not go look around at the event, I was fairly blown away by the sense of community not only walking in the neighborhood but also in looking at the vendors and booths at the Melrose Street Fair. This is the closest thing I've seen to the summer street festivals in Chicago where each neighborhood has their own.

I don't see Coronado taking a similar path due to the relative lack of a commercial center and the large size of the district. Garfield will probably get a real identity first because I am seeing Van Buren already begin to turn into a 'main drag' of sorts and the Welcome Diner corner will be a neighborhood spot. There also seems to be a more social type of person living in Garfield vs. Coronado.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 3:26 AM

Gcu

The Higher Learning Commission approved GCU's application to become a non-profit institution.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I was fairly annoyed on Saturday when I was trying to go to Copper Star and 7th Avenue was closed for an event. I ended up cutting through the neighborhood and figured why not go look around at the event, I was fairly blown away by the sense of community not only walking in the neighborhood but also in looking at the vendors and booths at the Melrose Street Fair. This is the closest thing I've seen to the summer street festivals in Chicago where each neighborhood has their own.

I don't see Coronado taking a similar path due to the relative lack of a commercial center and the large size of the district. Garfield will probably get a real identity first because I am seeing Van Buren already begin to turn into a 'main drag' of sorts and the Welcome Diner corner will be a neighborhood spot. There also seems to be a more social type of person living in Garfield vs. Coronado.
Correct me if I'm wrong, is the Melrose festival the only one of its kind here in Phx?

Yeah Van Buren has a bunch of boarded up buildings, car dealerships, and a negative reputation ripe for redevelopment. Roland's Market, if it can attract a tenant(s), hopefully will be a stroke of confidence for this stretch of nefarious pavement.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, is the Melrose festival the only one of its kind here in Phx?

Yeah Van Buren has a bunch of boarded up buildings, car dealerships, and a negative reputation ripe for redevelopment. Roland's Market, if it can attract a tenant(s), hopefully will be a stroke of confidence for this stretch of nefarious pavement.
Roland's Market already has attracted one tenant that will be a big draw (which will in turn attract more tenants), a restaurant by Chris Bianco and the Tacos Chiwas people.

Once Van Buren is narrowed to two lanes in a couple of years you'll see things start changing quickly. Ten years ago people called anyone nuts who thought West Van Buren would be redeveloped.... look how that turned out.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 7:51 PM
Skyriser

What paradigm shift happened where the Streets Department is taking a backseat to sound planning principles?

They were one of the biggest stumbling blocks to progress a few years ago.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 5:02 PM

The Census Bureau released County and Metro population estimates today:

https://census.gov/newsroom/press-re...ro-county.html

Maricopa County experienced the most population growth from 2016 - 2017 by a wide margin--73,650, while the next highest county, Clark County, NV, grew 47,355.

Phoenix metro had the 4th most population growth after Dallas, Houston and Atlanta.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
The Census Bureau released County and Metro population estimates today:

https://census.gov/newsroom/press-re...ro-county.html

Maricopa County experienced the most population growth from 2016 - 2017 by a wide margin--73,650, while the next highest county, Clark County, NV, grew 47,355.

Phoenix metro had the 4th most population growth after Dallas, Houston and Atlanta.

Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ

4,737,270 gaining ~88k a year

Boston-Cambridge-Newton, MA-NH

4,836,531 gaining 30k

who's ready to pass up Boston and be #10 metro???

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 6:36 PM

Also worth noting in looking at the numbers that we have a healthy mix of natural increase and net migration--we are both breeding and attracting new comers. Of the 88k increase in the metro, we're about 1/3 natural increase, 2/3 net migration. The natural increase puts us about 8th, ahead of some other higher population metros like Boston and San Francisco. And our net migration is about 4/5 domestic, and 1/5 international, making us one of the few major metros with positive migration in both categories (along with the likes of Seattle and Dallas).

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Also worth noting in looking at the numbers that we have a healthy mix of natural increase and net migration--we are both breeding and attracting new comers. Of the 88k increase in the metro, we're about 1/3 natural increase, 2/3 net migration. The natural increase puts us about 8th, ahead of some other higher population metros like Boston and San Francisco. And our net migration is about 4/5 domestic, and 1/5 international, making us one of the few major metros with positive migration in both categories (along with the likes of Seattle and Dallas).

Also also, San Francisco isn't on this list anywhere but based on their 2016 numbers: 4,679,166 We should be just about tied or #11 now

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 7:44 PM
Skyriser

The San Francisco MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area) is a little more than half of the population of the CSA (Consolidated Statistical Area). The SF MSA excludes San Jose and the North Bay. There's about 9 million people in the Bay Area, depending on definitions, but it covers a much larger geographical area than Phoenix--it's about 130 miles north and south from Santa Rosa to Gilroy.

God help us all if we merge Tucson with Phoenix into the "Sun Corridor" CSA and rack up the Bay Area's population statistics.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
The San Francisco MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area) is a little more than half of the population of the CSA (Consolidated Statistical Area). The SF MSA excludes San Jose and the North Bay. There's about 9 million people in the Bay Area, depending on definitions, but it covers a much larger geographical area than Phoenix--it's about 130 miles north and south from Santa Rosa to Gilroy.

God help us all if we merge Tucson with Phoenix into the "Sun Corridor" CSA and rack up the Bay Area's population statistics.
I mean...that’s pretty much what population projections are expecting even the ones on the conservative end

Old Posted Mar 24, 2018, 3:34 PM

phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ

4,737,270 gaining ~88k a year

San Francisco -Oakland CA

4,737,357 gaining ~ 20k a year

Boston-Cambridge-Newton, MA-NH

4,836,531 gaining ~30k

Got San Francisco’s 2017 estimate so we are for sure above them just by now in 2018 at our growth rates

How’s it feel to be #11?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 12:00 AM

The difference is there's non stop population past San Jose which should count. It's like not counting mesa as part of Phoenix. Add that in and I think they're well over 6 million

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
The difference is there's non stop population past San Jose which should count. It's like not counting mesa as part of Phoenix. Add that in and I think they're well over 6 million
CSa and msa

CSa’s I don’t think make sense because it’s about commuting between counties (which msa’s Are based which also doesn’t make sense). So easy coast cities that are close together with smaller counties can more easily blob into a CSa than West Coast cities can.

But yes the CSa of San Francisco is like 9 million, if Phoenix-Tucson ever get a CSa it will be around 6 milll

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 3:33 PM

Regarding the discussions on whether the multi-family boom can continue. I have a friend looking at high-end apartments. He looked at SALT and is very interested. He said that if you enter into a 14 month lease, they are offering 2 months of free rent and $500 off the third month. The building also still has a lot of vacancies. Those seem like huge concessions and doesn't bode well for more development.

He also looked at 44 Monroe. They are not offering as big of concessions - only a 10% discount due to the patio issue. They also couldn't give him an answer on when they'd be fixed. 44 Monroe probably doesn't have the same vacancy issues as they've been around for so long.

I'm hoping the high-end multi-family boom continues but this certainly doesn't sound like good news.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
Regarding the discussions on whether the multi-family boom can continue. I have a friend looking at high-end apartments. He looked at SALT and is very interested. He said that if you enter into a 14 month lease, they are offering 2 months of free rent and $500 off the third month. The building also still has a lot of vacancies. Those seem like huge concessions and doesn't bode well for more development.

He also looked at 44 Monroe. They are not offering as big of concessions - only a 10% discount due to the patio issue. They also couldn't give him an answer on when they'd be fixed. 44 Monroe probably doesn't have the same vacancy issues as they've been around for so long.

I'm hoping the high-end multi-family boom continues but this certainly doesn't sound like good news.

All the stats that came out earlier this year about mutli-family growth, absorption and rents are pointing to continued strong growth through the year at least . Obviously those can change but there isn't an indication so far that there is widespread decline in people filling up multi-family.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
All the stats that came out earlier this year about mutli-family growth, absorption and rents are pointing to continued strong growth through the year at least . Obviously those can change but there isn't an indication so far that there is widespread decline in people filling up multi-family.
That's good to hear. Obviously my comments above are only anecdotal evidence and not a comprehensive analysis. Can you post the stats? I'd be interested in looking at them.

I think my friend is going to move into SALT. He'll help the vacancy rate go down. He may also look at other comparable buildings. I'll get his impression if he does.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest