HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 5:58 PM
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I read this on Tumblr. I can't link to the actual account of the person who made it because it's been deactivated (presumable due to harassment, which is rampant on that site). But it demonstrates the importance of early and comprehensive sexual education today. Volunteering with youth, I've seen kids at young ages act like this. My own cousin did, having her first child at 13. The new curriculum just missed her.

It isn't the 90s anymore. We need our school curricula to keep up with technology, not lag behind it, or we're putting our kids and our whole society at a disadvantage.
Thanks for that. I think you make a very good point. I've got three daughters who are far too young for such things, but won't be forever. I hope we'll talk candidly with them about everything, but know that I might not be able to, and don't entirely trust myself to know when the timing is right. I hope I'll be able to maintain balance between trusting them, and monitoring what they see and do on the internet (for instance), but can't say for sure I'll be able to.

I read the sex ed curriculum the other year when it was a big topic of conversation, and saw nothing wrong with the way topics were addressed, and when. I suspect I won't be able to talk intelligently and frankly about some of those things when the time comes, and that's what school's for (in the same way I'm probably not going to be teaching them their long division).

I happen to be active in my church, and had people a few years ago, when it came up, asking me if I'd be comfortable with my daughters learning about x when they're so many years old, similar to how one of the candidates went on in the Tory leadership debates. I found that unfair, but it usually transpired that the "facts" presented conflicted with the actual content of the curriculum. I found at the time that very few parents had actually taken the time (not much!) to read it.
Old Posted Yesterday, 12:07 AM
Latest Ipsos: PCs 39%, Liberals 32%, NDP 25%

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:57 AM
That's a very interesting poll.

I am surprised the Liberals are rising and the NDP aren't. Perhaps the ABC vote have already made up their minds that only Wynne can stop Ford. Also interesting how over half of all voters who said they were contemplating voting for the Tories will not do so now due to Ford. You would NEVER have gotten that response of Elliot had won the leader's race. In fact the question wouldn't even have been asked but it was because it's on everyone's mind...........how many potential Tory voters have been lost due to a Ford leadership.

No matter what happens in the election one thing is certain, the Tories will get far fewer votes and seats than they would if Elliot was chosen leader. From a Tory strategic position, electing Ford was a failure of epic proportions and Tory insiders know it as do the Liberals.
Old Posted Yesterday, 1:18 PM
It's Hammer Time
Ontario PCs to hold new nomination for Hamilton West-Ancaster-Dundas
The controversial nomination process is the subject of a police investigation

The Ontario PC party will hold another nomination contest for Hamilton West-Ancaster-Dundas, according to a statement released late Thursday night by party president Jag Badwal.

"Doug Ford has been clear, the membership of our Party must be respected, and heard," Badwal said in the statement. "The PNC has set aside the nomination in Hamilton West-Ancaster-Dundas as a result of the flawed process."

Police are investigating potential criminal wrongdoing at a May 4 nomination meeting for the west Hamilton riding in Ancaster. Ontario's Ministry of Attorney General has also referred the case to the Public Prosecution Service of Canada to avoid any appearance of political interference.

Earlier this week, Hamilton police Const. Lorraine Edwards told CBC Hamilton that investigators don't know if they will wrap up their probe by June.

At that meeting, would-be candidates Ben Levitt, Vikram Singh, Jeff Peller and Jobson Easow vied for the nomination. Singh and Peller both alleged the party stuffed the ballot boxes so Levitt would win.

Both requested the party review the nomination, but then-leader Patrick Brown certified all candidates nominated so far, including Levitt.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario