HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 2:51 PM

The roof leaking just before the national championship sure did get a lot of press.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 9:24 PM

Yeah, unfortunate. I'm thinking the inflated Birdair panels are bad idea. Most of the leaks were from the petals if not all.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 12:11 PM

Were the leaks actually from the inflated portions of the panels or were they from the seals? Whatever the case, they need to hurry and get it fixed during this span of 2 months of no sporting events.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 12:41 AM

The seals yes but the inflated panels themselves a bad idea. 8 panels, 200+ feet long, 8 or 9 panels in each petal, that's a lot of sealing to get right, 1000's of feet, miles even, across the entire roof.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 2:14 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
Were the leaks actually from the inflated portions of the panels or were they from the seals? Whatever the case, they need to hurry and get it fixed during this span of 2 months of no sporting events.
There are events scheduled such as motocross and monster trucks and a battle of the bands event. The stadium is not dormant.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 6:15 PM

The roof is expected to work before the 2018 NFL season begins.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...of-2018-season

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 3:39 PM

Mercedes-Benz Stadium will add more exit doors

Quote:
Additional doors may be installed at Mercedes-Benz Stadium this year as part of efforts to alleviate the considerable congestion exiting the stadium.

Fans have expressed concern about clogged concourses and exits after numerous events, most recently the college football national championship game on Jan. 8, and the egress issue showed up in fan surveys conducted by the NFL and MLS.

“We’ve got two additional doors that we’re talking about adding into the glass area that exits out onto the ‘Front Porch’ -- more exit portals for people,” Cannon added. “We can just spread them out more. So that’s going to be a running change that we’ll have ready before next season, and there will be some other tweaks.”
http://www.myajc.com/sports/leadoff-...c3xV7tIZigDEL/

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 3:39 AM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
JFC..and I'm an Atlanta booster. How many billions of $ does it take to make sure a clusterfuc% like this doesn't happen before....say....it opens. what a sad situation.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 8:25 PM

I never had trouble getting out of the stadium with 75,000 Tenn & GA Tech fans hitting the doors after double OT. I did however have trouble getting in because their ticket scanners were overwhelming their wi-fi. They put a ton of connectivity INSIDE but not much outside for some reason.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 4:10 PM

We had a hell of a time getting out of the stadium on multiple weeks. It is very slow because people are predictable. If you let them walk from either side towards the front porch exits only the edge doors will get used as most people wont take extra steps to go to the middle. Simply forcing everyone towards the middle and then letting them go towards the doors would help.

Additionally, they have people shutting down the escalators every few minutes because they dont have the ability to maintain the amount of people exiting at the same time.

The exact same thing happens on the escalators down to Marta at the Phillps entrance. 4 escalators. After the NYE Panthers game, 2 going up, 2 going down. 2 Marta officers standing in the entrances of the 2 escalators going down to make sure its only single file to get on the escalators. It took 25 minutes from the time we got to the platform around Philips to get on the escalator.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ueeediot View Post
The exact same thing happens on the escalators down to Marta at the Phillps entrance. 4 escalators. After the NYE Panthers game, 2 going up, 2 going down. 2 Marta officers standing in the entrances of the 2 escalators going down to make sure its only single file to get on the escalators. It took 25 minutes from the time we got to the platform around Philips to get on the escalator.
In the case of Marta, I’m thinking they purposely only have 2 escalators going down to throttle the amount of people coming into the station at once. If too many people came in, the area around the breeze fare gates would have gotten jammed as that has a limited capacity too. The police need to be there to make sure too many people don’t go into the Marta station- that is a safety issue and fire hazard.

Hopefully Marta is good about running extra trains when events get out. For some reason I don’t think they much flexibility in running special trains to pick up surplus passengers.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ueeediot View Post
This will be fixed once the west portal into/out of that station is re-opened. This had never been a problem before.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
This will be fixed once the west portal into/out of that station is re-opened. This had never been a problem before.
Is there somewhere that has a design info on this redesign?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 9:39 PM

I know the $23 million bridge that will get used a couple dozen times a year will probably get approved but I hope not. Well reasoned post from ATL Urbanist:
http://atlurbanist.tumblr.com/post/1...-mercedes-benz

I would love to see a million bucks go to improving the pedestrian experience on Northside Drive instead. Nice median to rest between directions of traffic, wide slightly raised crosswalks, good lighting and bump outs to hold more people waiting to cross is just about all you'd need. Write your council person!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 11:44 PM

The bridge already spans Northside Drive when I drove by Thursday.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 7:20 PM

Mercedes-Benz Stadium roof ‘getting close’ to finish line

https://www.myajc.com/sports/mercede...x9I2dovKHwy0J/

Quote:
He described the work still to be done on the roof as primarily “final balancing” followed by “final automation.” As that work is done, there will be a five-week stretch in which the roof must remain closed and a 10-day stretch in which it will remain open, he said.

Waterproofing work also is continuing on the roof. “We’ve managed to take what was a larger number of leaks and shrunk it down to a very, very small number. And that work will continue until we’ve got it done.”

Cannon also addressed the stadium’s egress issues, which have drawn complaints at some events.

AMB Group has selected an outside consultant, which it hasn’t named publicly, to evaluate the stadium’s egress issue. The consultant will “look at everything that has been done and look at ways to make additional improvements,” Cannon said.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 3:22 PM

Home Depot Back Yard

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
That's where SunTrust Park should have went had they waited.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashATL View Post
That's where SunTrust Park should have went had they waited.
I thought all the season ticket holders lived north of the perimeter?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta