HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 2:53 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I haven't heard anything new on the Moncton front. I presume this to mean that despite the advocacy of Soccer NB and a ready made 10,000 seat soccer (and track & field) stadium at UdeM, that there was no success in interesting any prospective local ownership group.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Fair points. Ottawa suffers from a dreadful atmosphere in a stadium too large for the team and Edmonton switched their attendance counting (IIRC) to actual bodies in the stadium.
It will be interesting to find out who they can get for ownership in Edmonton, I don't know if the Fath brothers will be involved: "Although we believed in and have supported the NASL business model, our franchise has proven to be unsustainable in the Edmonton market"

That's not very encouraging.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 6:31 PM
ハルウララ

Yeah, the Faths were very devoted to the NASL even up until its demise. I'm not holding my breath on an FC Edmonton entry, but there seems to be some interest in Calgary. There have been rumours about Foothills being affiliated as a sort of feeder program for whatever team plays in CPL representing Calgary. Ledgerwood signed there this week partly because he wants to play in CPL and partly because Foothills are up for developing for CPL.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&sourc...87bLZVYaw05Jya

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 6:39 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
Does anyone else see this as unrealistically high? If the Fury are averaging 5.5K and Edmonton averaged under 4K, I don't see how they can expect a league average that is higher than those. Ottawa and Edmonton will (realistically) be amongst the, if not the, largest cities in the new league for its first year.
And Ottawa and Edmonton have been playing in a league with American teams, which even if it is second tier to the MLS, equals "big(er) time" than an all-Canadian league in the eyes of many Canadians, which likely meant a little boost in prestige and at the gate.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 3:32 PM

Former TFC executive Paul Beirne has been announced as the new league President

http://canpl.ca/article/soccer-execu...premier-league

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 7:49 PM
ハルウララ

Former national team member James Easton has been named CPL's VP of Soccer Operations

Http://canpl.ca/article/James-Easton...premier-league

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 3:21 PM
ハルウララ

The Faths are doing a season ticket drive to gauge support fot a future CPL team in Edmonton. FCED had roughly 1,000 STHs last season so that is something of a soft goal.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 6:09 PM
ハルウララ

It's coming from a supporters group so there's a big grain of salt attached to this, but...

@York9FCSG
As our friends @TheCanPLHub reported earlier in the week. Our understanding is that group includes GreenPark Homes & @JimmyBrennan11 Possibly will play out out York University for 2 years while a 15-20K stadium is built in the City of Vaughan area for 2020-21 season @CPLsoccer

https://twitter.com/York9FCSG/status/972120375017517056

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 2:08 PM
ハルウララ

Canadian Soccer Business (CSB) - A New Sports Enterprise Now Represents Premier Soccer Properties in Canada

TORONTO / OTTAWA (March 29, 2018) – The Canadian Premier League (CPL) announced today the launch of Canadian Soccer Business (CSB) – a new sports enterprise representing commercial assets and inventory for marquee soccer properties in Canada.

Canadian Soccer Business debuts with a suite of top-tier national assets that comprise the backbone of soccer in Canada. This includes representation for all corporate partnerships and media rights related to Canada Soccer’s core assets including its national teams, along with all rights associated with the CPL – Canada’s professional men’s soccer league set to debut coast-to-coast in 2019.

Canadian Soccer Business’ representation agreement with Canada Soccer is for a 10-year term.

Canadian Soccer Business now represents the following:
  • On behalf of Canada Soccer, all corporate partnerships and media rights for Women’s and Men’s National Team Programs
  • All commercial assets of the CPL including partnership and media assets of each club within the league
  • A collection of naming rights opportunities at new and renovated CPL stadiums
  • The Canadian Championship – Canada’s professional club championship that features all Canadian professional clubs with the winner qualifying for Concacaf Champions League
  • Grassroots programs that reach millions of Canadians playing the world’s game from coast to coast

“This is a coming of age for soccer in Canada and this enterprise will build off the momentum of soccer and help transform the sport in our country. Canadian Soccer Business has the potential to grow into one of the most important and unique sporting entities in Canada, one that could stand alone in truly representing a Canadian sport that has the reach of community, country and world,” said David Clanachan, Commissioner, CPL and Chairman of the CSB. “Having a partnership team that is 100% focused on creating a new soccer economy in this country will empower new and excited partners to help elevate the sport to a whole new level for all Canadians.”

“Canada Soccer has established itself as a leading soccer nation and our brand has never been stronger both domestically and internationally,” said Steven Reed, President, Canada Soccer. “As the national sport organization responsible for the growth and development of the sport of soccer in our country, we pride ourselves as stewards of the world’s game that has the power to build our nation from coast to coast. We look forward to beginning our collaboration with Canadian Soccer Business and build on our collective efforts with members and partners to add to our history of success both on and off the pitch.”

Canadian Soccer Business Executive Team

Canadian sports executive Scott Mitchell has been confirmed as the CEO of Canadian Soccer Business. Mitchell was one of the founders of the CPL along with the iconic tech entrepreneur and sports team owner Bob Young. Mitchell will continue in his leadership role and will oversee all major partnerships and the media strategy for the new venture.

Mitchell takes on the duties while maintaining his role as the CEO of Bob Young’s group of Canadian Companies including the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

“It is truly a pivotal time for soccer in Canada and we are excited that Canadian Soccer Business will be at the forefront of this exciting movement,” said Mitchell. “What the CSB is all about is representing soccer in Canada not only locally in communities, but nationally and globally as well. The CPL’s upcoming launch, along with the strength of the Canada Soccer brand have created a unique opportunity for us and our partners to provide an integrated platform that reaches from the grassroots to the professional level across the country on a year-round basis. We look forward to a series of exciting announcements and partnerships in the coming weeks.”

Joining Mitchell on the executive team are accomplished sports partnership leaders
Ian Charlton and Dave Keeley. Charlton will manage the Canadian Soccer Business team as Head of Partnerships and Chief Sales Officer. Keeley joins the team as Director of Corporate Partnerships.

Charlton comes to Canadian Soccer Business after holding senior partnership roles at TSN, Bell Media, NASCAR, NBA, WWE, XFL and Disney. Keeley brings extensive partnerships experience from his time with Vancouver Whitecaps FC, IRONMAN and the Toronto Argonauts.

About the Canadian Premier League

Canadian Premier League (CPL) is Canada’s domestic men’s professional soccer league set to debut in spring 2019. Playing in world-class and unique venues, the CPL will bring professional soccer to communities across our great country. Membership of the CPL and founding cities Hamilton and Winnipeg was approved at Canada Soccer’s 2017 Annual Meeting of Members. The CPL has intentions to partner with strong community-led ownership groups to bring professional soccer to Canadian communities from coast to coast.

For updates and more information, please go to CanPL.ca.

About Canada Soccer

Canada Soccer, in partnership with its membership and its partners, provides leadership in the pursuit of excellence in soccer, both at the national and international levels. Canada Soccer not only strives to lead Canada to victory, but also encourages Canadians to a life-long passion for soccer. For more details on Canada Soccer, visit the official website at www.canadasoccer.com.

http://canpl.ca/media
------------------------------------------------

The article in the Toronto Sun on this has additional information:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Sun
Having already confirmed Hamilton and Winnipeg as the CPL’s flagship teams, the CPL will reveal six to eight additional inaugural clubs within the next two months.

Halifax, Ottawa, Calgary, Saskatoon, Regina, Edmonton, Moncton, Victoria, Quebec City, Mississauga, Fraser Valley, Kitchener-Waterloo, and York Region (Toronto) have been mentioned as possible locations for inaugural or future CPL clubs.
As well as some information on the growth of the Voyageurs Cup:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Sun
CANADIAN CHAMPIONSHIP A ‘BIG PROPERTY’

The movers and shakers involved with the Canadian Soccer Business expect the annual Canadian Championship to grow exponentially in 2019.

Until this year, Canada’s domestic Cup amounted to a five-team mini-tournament that, while full of excitement, didn’t feel like a big event.

But with the CPL coming online next year, the Canadian Championship could expand exponentially.

“We think the Canadian championship can turn into a fantastic national property,” CSB CEO Scott Mitchell told Postmedia, referring to the competition as “a true national championship.”

“I think that’s going to be an unbelievable property,” Mitchell added. “That’s something we represent and control from a commercial perspective. That’s a big property we’re excited about.”

The prospect of Toronto FC travelling to face Hamilton in a meaningful Cup fixture sounds intriguing.

“It turns into a very legitimate and exciting Canadian property if you think about the teams involved and the opportunities for interesting matchups,” Mitchell finished. “I think it will be an awesome media property and sponsorship property.”

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 4:27 PM
ハルウララ

Additional teams will be sanctioned (announced) at the next Annual Membership Meeting, scheduled for May 5th in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 11:37 AM
ハルウララ

per CaptainCanuck over at r/CanadianPL, six names have been registered by CPL Holdings LP:
  • Calgary FC
  • HWFC
  • York 9 FC
  • Cavalry FC
  • Port City FC
  • Founders FC

Calgary and York are pretty obvious...HWFC seems to be Halifax Wanderers, which makes the other three a bit up in the air. One of them is likely Winnipeg and another Hamilton. If Edmonton and Ottawa are shifting teams from NASL/USL they wouldn't have to register in this batch with the others.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 1:03 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

??Port City?? - ??Saint John??

I doubt this is the case, as SJ has never expressed any interest in the league. It's just interesting that "Port City" is SJ's nickname......

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 1:27 PM
ハルウララ

Port City is SJ's nickname but nobody west of NB would know it. I don't think the Port City name is Hamilton so it's lilely something West Coast..

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 4:54 PM

Regina, Canada's Prairie Port.

I'll just see myself out.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 5:34 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

They are selling tickets for a rugby game at the Wanderers Ground stadium in Halifax that will happen a couple months from now so I guess it must be just about ready to go. I think the field itself was overhauled last summer.

I have seen 5000-7000 seats as the range given but I think they are ultimately installing 6000 seats.

(This stadium is a separate thing from the CFL team promoters' plans.)

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 6:31 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I have seen 5000-7000 seats as the range given but I think they are ultimately installing 6000 seats.

(This stadium is a separate thing from the CFL team promoters' plans.)
I believe the official announcement for the Rugby match had 6,000 seats as the listed capacity.

-------------------------------------------------

Edmonton:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBC
A new national soccer league could establish a team in Edmonton if the city agrees to fund renovations to Clarke Stadium.

According to a city administration report, the owners of the now-defunct FC Edmonton soccer team are interested in joining the Canadian Premier League, which intends to start playing in 2019.

However, the league's standards would require Clarke Stadium to be substantially upgraded with additional seating, washrooms and concessions, along with permanent dressing rooms and laundry facilities — which would all need to be done on the city's dime.

The league requires its teams to have a stadium with at least 7,000 seats, which would mean Clarke Stadium would need to be expanded from its current 4,153.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...nton-1.4617855

Last edited by JHikka; Apr 13, 2018 at 6:42 PM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 8:43 PM

Quote:
per CaptainCanuck over at r/CanadianPL, six names have been registered by CPL Holdings LP:
  • Calgary FC
  • HWFC
  • York 9 FC
  • Cavalry FC
  • Port City FC
  • Founders FC

Calgary and York are pretty obvious...HWFC seems to be Halifax Wanderers, which makes the other three a bit up in the air. One of them is likely Winnipeg and another Hamilton. If Edmonton and Ottawa are shifting teams from NASL/USL they wouldn't have to register in this batch with the others.
I don't understand the reasoning behind naming soccer teams in this country "FC". Reeks of copy-catism of European teams.

SC is more unique and a better representation of the history of the game in this country. I don't see why we should want to copy other regions of the world.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 7:53 PM
ハルウララ

From https://twitter.com/York9FCSG

A user over at Reddit has pointed out the ownership, which I will quote below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck93
So the owners are:
  • The Balderasso family. They own Greenpark, apparently the largest real estate developer in Canada
  • Jim Brennan Former TFC captain
  • Preben Ganzhorn. Former REIT executive and former TFC director or marketing, Harvard business school alumnist.
The rumour is that the team will play out of York University for two seasons until a purpose-built stadium is constructed in Vaughan for 2020.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Momentous for the CPL, it becomes 'real' at a certain level with the event, I think. The name and colours (if they are black and lime green) do seem to reek of minor - league thinking to me, but having a team will be tremendous. I'm looking forward to attending the event for sure.

Anyone want to take a guess as to where in Vaughan the club will call home?
Initial guess would be a reconfigured Ont Soccer Centre in Woodbridge though I'd call the Sports Village on Rutherford a sleeper pick. Or (one can dream), a new stadium in the Metropolitan Centre

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 12:00 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada