HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
In London, all of the supermarket chains have urban 'express' style stores (Tesco Metro, Co-op Local, Sainsbury's Express, I think) And I can't help but wonder why that isn't happening to some extent here.The stores focus on lunch and quick take-dinner-home-after-work kind of shopping (as well as serving basic groceries to local residents) and I was thinking that since Co-op already has a kind of 'Market Place' theme, they should run with that. If they opened a 'Co-op Marketplace' in that new building in Inglewood, they would do really well. There is no local supermarket anyway, and there are enough daytime workers in the area to make it worth their while.

I would shop there.
I think the problem is land is still too cheap (especially compared to London) and therefor easier to build the larger centres, even in a central location like Co-op and Safeway in the Beltline. I also don't think we have any neighbourhood (except maybe the Beltline) that has a population density high enough to justify the type of market you are describing unfortunately.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 7:24 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
I think the problem is land is still too cheap (especially compared to London) and therefor easier to build the larger centres, even in a central location like Co-op and Safeway in the Beltline. I also don't think we have any neighbourhood (except maybe the Beltline) that has a population density high enough to justify the type of market you are describing unfortunately.
I hear what you are saying, and it probably is the reason. I'm just thinking about places like right downtown, in the base of an office building, for the lunch crowd etc, or Inglewood where there is no supermarket already. They really are aimed at the working person, not strictly the local resident.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 10:30 PM

Well there is the Sunterra in the base of Keynote (and in Banker's Hall and TCPL). I don't know if Inglewood has enough people working there in the day to justify it (maybe, don't know the numbers).

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 5:33 AM
Realtor

All of the Flat Iron Grill signs at Centennial Place & Chinook have been removed, anyone know what's going on?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB Born View Post
All of the Flat Iron Grill signs at Centennial Place & Chinook have been removed, anyone know what's going on?
The signs at Centennial have been down for sometime now. They did have a construction blog for Chinook, which I can't seem to find anymore either.

I'm only speculating but I think they bit off more than they could chew and had too many projects on the go which divided their focus. They also spent way too much money prepping their Lucid Square property which has also stalled out.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 3:30 PM
Closed account

I am doing some design work for a restaurant client, and I was literally just told that the Flat Iron Grill site at Chinook is going to be available because they are going out of business. This was second hand, so I'm not sure if the company is going down or just if that location is just being pulled, but I know our client want's that spot for a new location.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 3:34 PM

Their website lists Barlow Trail as their only location (next to the Toad n Turtle).

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 8:20 PM

Heard a rumour the other day that they are putting a Brick Furniture Store on 17th ave. Anyone know any truth to this? Does that mean there will be a best buy, sleep country and a brick all on 17th?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 9:06 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityscape_enthusiast View Post
Heard a rumour the other day that they are putting a Brick Furniture Store on 17th ave. Anyone know any truth to this? Does that mean there will be a best buy, sleep country and a brick all on 17th?
Interesting.......I guess we need to shop for stuff.......although, there isn't much at The Brick that fits into a small condo....

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Interesting.......I guess we need to shop for stuff.......although, there isn't much at The Brick that fits into a small condo....
Totally, very true, was more surprised about the info. I guess. I heard it's supposed to be a "Brick Urban" store, never seen/heard of one but it's supposed to compete with places like urban barn.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 10:34 PM

delete

Last edited by nick.flood; Feb 5, 2016 at 6:48 PM.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 10:47 PM
Here and There

interesting......Well, the Brick is Albertan so its not half bad..........

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 11:05 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Anyone know where? first floor of Best buy building?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 11:28 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Won't be there. There are a bunch of retail bays there and a restaurant IIRC.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Perhaps the new 1 storey building at 4th and 17th?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 12:44 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
Perhaps the new 1 storey building at 4th and 17th?
good call.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 6:15 PM

Question for some of the people here with some legal knowledge.

If you are at a bar that charges an automatic gratuity on large groups (usually 18%), and the service is terrible and definitely undeserving of that kind of gratuity, do you have to pay it?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 6:43 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Question for some of the people here with some legal knowledge.

If you are at a bar that charges an automatic gratuity on large groups (usually 18%), and the service is terrible and definitely undeserving of that kind of gratuity, do you have to pay it?
If you go to a restaurant and the food's terrible, do you have to pay for it? Same scenario. It's on the bill. If you want to argue it you take it to the manager and complain and hope he comps you or gives you something in recompense, but you can't just refuse to pay any more than you can refuse to pay for any good or service you're not happy with.

Also- tips support the entire staff, not just the servers. Customers need to understand this.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 6:57 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Yeah, I don't think you can get out of this. The restaurant has told you up front what the cost is going to be, so legally you're obliged to pay it. You can discuss with management of course, and in many cases they'll work something out with you - but as Rusty mentions this is no different than the price of the food if you don't like it.

Unless there's some sort of fraud involved. Say they claim to be selling some fancy expensive dish but substitute a cheaper ingredient without your knowledge. You might be able to do something there.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 6:59 PM

I usually tip 15%, unless the service is terrible. If it's bad enough, then the rest of the staff can thank the waitress' poor attitude and preference to talking to her friends over doing her job, for the poor tip. Usually it will also include a talk with the manager, who can then explain it to the rest of the staff.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy