HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 8:13 AM

I purposely haven't checked on Staunton's status in a long time. It continues to amaze me.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 12:14 PM

Damn you Derek, I thought Patrick had done an update!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2012, 7:23 PM

Question

This is one of the best cities on here

Keep up the good work, can't wait for another update

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 1:15 PM

Hi patrick, your city is awesome, in fact it is so awesome it has inspired me to build my city of Lakeport, it has a thread so you can see it.

i'm not so good at highway ramps though, here is a picture of my city:

Link to my other models (i also build works of art on 4 wheels):

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...1172&scoring=m

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 7:17 AM
Desert Dweller

Happy to announce that after 2 years of no progress (and completely falling off the SSP radar)

Staunton is back baby!!!

After looking over the thread countless times in the past few months, I realized that I put all this time into Staunton and yet never saw it finished. It's sad because I came so close several times only to start fresh instead of continue on. I'm hoping to complete Staunton once and for all, including neighboring cities Jefferson and New Ganton. I have plenty of ideas to keep me rolling for the next few weeks and an awesome layout already. Hopefully there are a few people out there who still check in on this sub-forum every once in a while, I really do miss the days of an active SSP sketchup community, maybe there's hope for a renaissance!

Anywho, here is Staunton as of now, as you can see not much has changed in the past 2 years. I just recently started working on the area to the front/right of Galcorp. Expect a few more po-mo skyscrapers in this area, the older part of the financial core will rise up in the empty space in the back-center. I'm trying to stay away from old Staunton classics and design completely new buildings instead (with the exception of Gloucester and Galcorp, of course) so this should be fun!

Here are some street level renders, nothing too cray as the city is still very small, but check out these sexy canyons!

Stay tuned!!!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 8:33 AM

It's about time!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 9:26 AM
Dare Mighty Things

YES!

Patrick, I'm not even joking, your work on Staunton indirectly had a pretty profound influence on my life (I don't think I'm the only one either). I recall it really kickstarted cityscape creation on SSP. Those days when we all had Staunton, Palm Dunes, San Felix, Scottsburg, Gold Coast City, etc. all going... man those were some good times. Not only that, but I know for me at least it kept inspiring me to see how far I could push Sketchup in realism and detail.

My enjoyment from those days ended up being a huge reason why I switched my major in college. Not only that, but I put a lot of my SSP Sketchup modeling work in my portfolio, and it was part of why I got hired at the design firm I'm currently working for.

So, for that... Thank you for working on Staunton, and I'm glad to see it back!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 5:37 PM

Great news, can't wait to see the next update!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 1:30 AM

I've always liked this city (I've been lurking here for a long time, I remember Sun city ) Anyway keep up the good work And check out my city if you like.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 6:45 PM

Wow, this happened a lot faster than I could've hoped for! The start looks very promising. I think that even when you're using textures of the same quality as in the previous version, this version still looks clearly better and more realistic - a difficult thing to accomplish considering the previous versions of Staunton were incredible themselves. It's easy to tell that you haven't stopped studying cityscapes while you've been on your Staunton break.

Great to have Staunton back!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 10:35 AM
Desert Dweller

Wow thanks for all the positive feedback you guys, really, it means a lot! :')

BoiseAirport, I am honored that Staunton has influenced your life in that way! I am more than inspired to continue on with Staunton after reading your response, what did you end up switching your major to anyways?

~~~

I've been working on the northeast corner of downtown, known to locals as Callahan Point, here is where you will find some of Staunton's most prestigious office real estate. This part of the financial district was majorly abandoned in the 1960's as companies moved to the several new boxy towers that started popping up in midtown. The completion of One Galcorp Plaza in 1979 signaled a new renewed interest in the area. During the height of the 1980's real estate craze, developers quickly started buying and demolishing blocks of old dilapidated buildings to make room for gleaming postmodern skyscrapers. Today the area is the pinnacle of the Staunton skyline, anchored by One Galcorp Plaza.

One Galcorp Plaza, at 1169 feet and 83 stories, it is by far Staunton's tallest building. It is the tallest building outside of New York and Chicago, 6th overall in the nation. In the 1970's, mega-conglomorate, Staunton-based Galcorp was starting to becoming one of the most profitable enterprises in the world. It was decided that the company would move it's headquarters to one central building. Originally planned as the tallest in the US, city officials and locals shortened the tower to it's current height. The twin antennas, which were added in the years after it's completion, bring the total height to 1366 feet.

When it was completed it was very negatively received by the general public. The building and landscaped plaza replaced Staunton's original city hall, which had not been landmarked. Despite a preservation battle, the building was no match for Galcorp. It's destruction led to a much needed landmarking frenzy across the city, saving many historical buildings from simular fates. Today, One Galcorp Plaza is considered a Staunton icon, it has been integrated into the city's culture as a permanent fixture on the city skyline. The 80th floor observation deck is a popular destination for tourists and locals, providing sweeping views of Jefferson and New Ganton. The plaza is also popular lunchtime hangout, an underground concourse filled with retail and restaurant space is located beneath the building.

After One Galcorp Plaza was completed the neighborhood saw a renaissance, old run-down buildings were replaced with towering office buildings with large lavishly landscaped plazas. I am trying to model a small portion of this area after Bunker Hill in Los Angeles, where I am drew my inspiration for the two major skyscrapers in Callahan Point, the AtlantiCorp Center and the Worthington Place.

Completed in 1986, the 922 foot, 63 story AtlantiCorp Center stands as the 3rd tallest building in Staunton (for now). You may recognize this building from past incarnations of Staunton as the ELFThompson Center. I've increased the height of this bad boy, renamed it, and gave it a much more prominent place in the skyline, this building is huge! Located right next door is the 816 foot, 53 story Worthington Place, completed in 1989, it serves as the regional headquarters for Worthington Enterprises. This elegant postmodern beauty is known for it's two giant "W" logos placed on the north and south facades that illuminate the night skyline. The other two skyscrapers that make up this super dense cluster are Two Galcorp Plaza (2006) and the AmeriBank Center (2002).

As you can see, Staunton is no longer stuck in the past! Start expecting more 21st century buildings here and there, I'm ready to bring Staunton to the iPhone age!

Stay tuned for more!

Last edited by Patrick; Sep 21, 2013 at 11:00 AM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 9:06 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

BoiseAirport, I am honored that Staunton has influenced your life in that way! I am more than inspired to continue on with Staunton after reading your response, what did you end up switching your major to anyways?
Awesome! I was previously an English major, but I was neither particularly great at it nor was I enjoying myself. Took a year off and came back as a Graphic Design major. Never looked back. If you'd ever like any help with logo design, signage or branding for the fictional companies that populate Staunton let me know!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 7:20 PM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseAirport View Post
Awesome! I was previously an English major, but I was neither particularly great at it nor was I enjoying myself. Took a year off and came back as a Graphic Design major. Never looked back. If you'd ever like any help with logo design, signage or branding for the fictional companies that populate Staunton let me know!
Hey me too! I love graphic design and all but working on Staunton lately has made me really yearn for a career in the architectural field. I go to the ASU school of design, which is connected to the school of architecture, so every day I pass by scale models former students have done and drool over them. I feel my true passion is in architecture but I am just not that good in math and other technical things whereas graphic design just comes to me naturally. If you have any logos of fictional companies you designed feel free to send them to me so I can adorn them atop some of my skyscrapers!

~~

So I have been working on Staunton pretty frequently lately. I'm constantly thinking of new ideas for Staunton, I haven't felt this inspired in a while and it feels great!

I have been focusing on the city's financial heart, the skyline starting to resemble the original 2006 version. RC&T, Sloan Pharmaceuticals, and Kent Plaza are back from the dead. RC&T has been reduced in size but now has a much more prominent location in the skyline. Kent Plaza has been jacked up an extra 200 feet or so making it the 4th tallest building in Staunton. The small two-block park in the center will be Livingston Square and the empty block just to the left of Galcorp Plaza will house one of the city's grand cathedrals.

Here we see the start of the Staunton Expressway (David Aldrich Expressway) I'm excited to finally introduce freeways to Staunton, something the city has always lacked. The expressway is still in it's preliminary stages, expect to see onramps/offramps and exit signs soon!

The city's tallests viewed from the Stock Exchange District (Stock Exchange is the green capped building to the bottom of the picture). 1 Allied American Plaza has also made it's way back into Staunton (on the left).

Watch out for more updates!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 1:56 AM

cool as always! I started making a freeway in Grace City too, hehe, i hope it helps the traffic. BTW,what is GALcorp dedicated to?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 6:53 PM

Smexy

Last edited by Austin55; Sep 27, 2013 at 8:14 PM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2013, 7:05 PM

Great stories and great pictures! Perfect! The skyline looks very interesting with the different heights, shapes and architectural styles. The prominence the Galcorp Plaza has in the skyline is fantastic! You can really feel the power Galcorp had (and maybe still has) at the time it was built. My favorite shot is the one looking towards the sky with the four towers rising from the corners.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2013, 8:20 AM
Desert Dweller

Thanks for the comments guys!

The heart of the financial district is finally coming together. Here is where some of the largest buildings in the city in terms of floor space are located.

Looking down Market Street toward the Staunton Stock Exchange.

One Allied American Plaza and GrantProvident Square towering over the financial district.

Callahan Point, with the imposing facade of the AtlantiCorp Center in the foreground.

Looking east down Warner Street, Sloan Insurance is to the right.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2013, 8:03 PM

The city is looking really good

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 10:53 PM
Desert Dweller

The skyline is finally gaining some mass, time for a skyline shot!

Looking South beneath the Ganton Bridge.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 9:48 PM

The city is looking good

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup