HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Thanks for the shots, I was in Milwaukee this weekend and was flabbergasted at how quickly it is changing. I mean it was virtually totally unrecognizable from the last time I was there even earlier this year. The entire Park East scar is under construction all at once. It's like some sort of magical economic line has been crossed that suddenly makes all vacant land near the river in Downtown Milwaukee profitable to build on. So much going on that I needed your pictures to help me understand what I was looking at!
Yeah and that's a pretty small sample size of what's going on in Milwaukee. I didn't include any conversions of historic buildings like the Button Block or Germania buildings. I didn't get any of the projects happening on the Upper/Lower East Side. I also didn't hit the Marquette area (near west side), Walker's Point, or Bay View. I'm going to try and hit those areas in the coming week so look for more pictures to follow. Good things happening in Brew City right now though, that's for sure.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 9:25 PM

Barrett Lo releases updated rendering of The Couture
Demolition underway at Downtown Transit Center

With initial demolition work underway at Downtown Transit Center to make way for The Couture development, Barrett Lo Visionary Development unveiled a new rendering of the project by Rinka Chung Architecture.

The $122 million, 44-story luxury apartment building will take 32 months to complete once construction begins in 2017.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 3:25 PM

Exclusive: Mandel Group plans large Walker's Point office project

Quote:
A large development that would be anchored by 275,000 square feet of office space along the Milwaukee River in the Walker’s Point neighborhood near downtown Milwaukee is being proposed by Mandel Group Inc.

The buildings would be near East Florida and South Water streets, and could transform 7 acres in that corner of the already booming Milwaukee neighborhood, located just south of downtown Milwaukee. In addition to the office buildings, Mandel Group envisions one apartment building, extensive tree plantings and a riverside green space.
While I generally like the idea, and the renderings look amazing, I don't get why another office building is being proposed when other, already proposed buildings, can not get out of the ground. Irgens has proposed an office building in the Third Ward that can't seem to land tenants. Also, Water Tech I, which was proposed a couple years ago, can not seem to land tenants either. I guess we will see, but I do hope this gets built. I think I'd still rather see Washington Square built though.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 4:00 PM

The Changing Look of Downtown Milwaukee

Quote:
It seems downtown Milwaukee is changing by the day. All of the new construction that is happening now and still to come is giving the skyline a new look.

The cranes and the netting are two good indications that change is on the horizon. $3 billion worth of new development has happened in downtown Milwaukee just since 2005.

"Another $1.3 billion worth of development that is underway right now," said Beth Weirick, CEO of Milwaukee Downtown BID 21.

New buildings are going up everywhere, so it seems there's something to the adage "if you build it, they will come."

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 4:05 PM

Suburban Development News

Some development news from the suburbs where suburban cities like Wauwatosa, West Allis, Brookfield, and Oak Creek are also exploding with development. The number of units under construction in Wauwatosa rivals that of what's happening in downtown Milwaukee...

Work starts on Mayfair Road apartments

Quote:
Contractors started moving dirt Nov. 28 for a four-story apartment building on North Mayfair Road that will be complete by January 2018.
Also under construction in Wauwatosa is the 1,000 unit "The District" at the Mayfair Collection, State Street Station, The Reserve, and The Reef with plenty more on the table.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 6:22 PM
tilted & shifted

Mandel Group Assembles Development Team to Pursue Riverfront Office Development

MILWAUKEE, WI | Milwaukee‐based developer Mandel Group, Inc. today released conceptual plans for a major office development in the Walker’s Point neighborhood fronting on the Milwaukee River. The overall concentration of new and repurposed office space could total 200,000‐275,000 square feet when completed. While stressing that the plans were preliminary at this time, Mandel Group representatives indicated that the concept is based on extensive market analysis conducted over the past twelve months, together with detailed input from real estate brokers and tenant representatives who are actively engaged in the downtown office market.

Read the rest here: http://urbanmilwaukee.com/pressrelea...e-development/

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
[B][SIZE="4"]
MILWAUKEE, WI | Milwaukee‐based developer Mandel Group, Inc. today released conceptual plans for a major office development in the Walker’s Point neighborhood fronting on the Milwaukee River. The overall concentration of new and repurposed office space could total 200,000‐275,000 square feet when completed. While stressing that the plans were preliminary at this time, Mandel Group representatives indicated that the concept is based on extensive market analysis conducted over the past twelve months, together with detailed input from real estate brokers and tenant representatives who are actively engaged in the downtown office market.

Read the rest here: http://urbanmilwaukee.com/pressrelea...e-development/
I want to also share this plan view image included in that same Urban Milwaukee article. It helped me visualize the layout, whereas the article referred to land by its current ownership (Kurth Corp, and the Wisconsin Cold Storage), and I was not familiar with these companies.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 5:47 PM

New Office Tower Planned

New downtown Milwaukee office building planned for BMO Harris

Quote:
“The building will probably be similar to Irgens’ 833 building (a 17-story office building at 833 E. Michigan St.) with floor plates around 27,000 square feet,” the architect said. “We’re probably looking at only six to seven stories for BMO. Unless they are looking at creating spec space for another company to move in.”
Not too excited by this news. I'm sure it will be a cool looking building (anything will be better than BMO's current tower) but if we only get a 17 story building out of it, while losing a 20 story building, not thrilled by the fact that we are losing some height.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 5:59 PM

Downtown riverfront development site sold

Quote:
Olson and Pacetti, who operate Edgewater Real Estate LLC, are working on their plans for the vacant building, Olson said. Its location on the RiverWalk makes it a good property for retail use, he said.

Olson also said he and Pacetti wanted to control the property to protect City Hall Square, a 135-unit, six-story development just east of the two-story building.

In May, the Plan Commission approved developer Jason Ladner's plans to buy the two-story building, demolish it and develop an 18-story, high-end apartment building.

The $17 million development would have featured a street-level restaurant that included an outdoor deck, a small office on the second floor and 61 apartments on the remaining levels. However, Ladner dropped those plans last summer.
Super disappointing news. We could have had a BEAUTIFUL 17-story tower but because the neighboring property owners didn't want their views blocked, it seems we are going to be stuck with the crappy building currently there for a while.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 6:32 PM
high five!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksfan15 View Post
Kinda reminds me of Museum Tower in Dallas

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksfan15 View Post
Not too excited by this news. I'm sure it will be a cool looking building (anything will be better than BMO's current tower) but if we only get a 17 story building out of it, while losing a 20 story building, not thrilled by the fact that we are losing some height.
I see what you're saying about the possible reduction in height relative to their current building, but it sounds like the new building would be at the corner where the tired old 6-story (?) tall parking structure is located, so it would actually increase the height at that location. I think answer to the question of whether it renders a net loss of height lies in the height of whatever replaces the 20-story building ... if they tear it down.

A tangential observation: this new BMO Harris building would share an intersection with some pretty dignified company: City Hall, and the Pabst Theater. I hope they maintain a similar setback on Water Street to keep the current view of the City Hall building from Water Street.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by embora View Post

I see what you're saying about the possible reduction in height relative to their current building, but it sounds like the new building would be at the corner where the tired old 6-story (?) tall parking structure is located, so it would actually increase the height at that location. I think answer to the question of whether it renders a net loss of height lies in the height of whatever replaces the 20-story building ... if they tear it down.

A tangential observation: this new BMO Harris building would share an intersection with some pretty dignified company: City Hall, and the Pabst Theater. I hope they maintain a similar setback on Water Street to keep the current view of the City Hall building from Water Street.
The more I thought about it, I am excited to see a new tower on that site instead of a parking garage, and I'm sure Irgens will do a great job. I guess I'm a little disappointed that the old building may go. It could use an upgrade but I kind of like it. I just wouldn't want it torn down unless they have a plan for it. Don't want to see a surface lot sitting there.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 3:09 PM

Yeah, the old M&I building is quite nice and fortunately it's garage is detached and expendable. Unfortunately we are in that sweet spot for mid century buildings to be trashed regardless of quality. Just like Victorian architecture in the 1950's or Deco in the 1970's. No respect 50-60 years down the line for any style. The M&I building is fairly attractive as is and if there are serious structural failings, it's likely because of pathetically huge amounts of deferred maintenance, not any design failing.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 3:11 PM
devout Pizzatarian

this is from someone claiming insider knowledge on the project over at SSC, so grains of salt and all of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLion727 View Post
The new BMO Financial Center will be a 25 story, 335 foot tall office tower.

As for 770 N. Water Irgens will take possession of the building and refurbish it in preparation for new tenants.
if true, it sounds like a win-win! the ugly old parking garage gets knocked down for new office tower and the old mid-century building gets refurbished.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
this is from someone claiming insider knowledge on the project over at SSC, so grains of salt and all of that.

if true, it sounds like a win-win! the ugly old parking garage gets knocked down for new office tower and the old mid-century building gets refurbished.
If that is the case, this is news that I'm extremely excited for. Having a new, tallish, 25-story tower there would only make an already dense part of Milwaukee's CBD, even more impressive. Milwaukee basically has 2 CBD's in the lakefront and the river, I love that both are getting built up.

I just like the current BMO building and I love how they light it up for special occasions like the Bucks and Summerfest. I would hate to lose that and watch a surface lot sit in the middle of a very dense part of CBD while we wait for something to be proposed.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 10:41 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ the info has been confirmed. i've made a new thread for the new project in the proposals sub-forum. here's the link:

MILWAUKEE | BMO Harris Financial Center | 335 FT | 25 FLOORS

Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ the info has been confirmed. i've made a new thread for the new project in the proposals sub-forum. here's the link:

MILWAUKEE | BMO Harris Financial Center | 335 FT | 25 FLOORS
^^^^^^

Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 5:45 AM

I like the added glass to that part of downtown. There's a whole lot of brown buildings in that area, it needs some diversity. I like the height and added density to an already dense part of our 2nd CBD. I like that this development is along the river and not the lake where everything else is happening. I dislike the curved corner on the NW side of the building but I like the straight corner on the NE side. I think Irgens did a horrible job blending the parking garage into the building but overall, I'll take it. I think I'll reserve judgement until I see the finished product but as of right now, I think Irgens did a better job on 833. I'm happy with this addition but I'm even happier that Irgens is saving BMO's current building.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 1:03 AM

BMO Harris tower latest signal of downtown boom

Quote:
Those projects, announced by the Irgens development firm, are among the latest in a series of large developments remaking the downtown skyline. They include the new $524 million Milwaukee Bucks arena; an entertainment center that the basketball club's owners will build; Northwestern Mutual's $450 million office tower; a $100 million, 33-story apartment high-rise that Northwestern Mutual is building as an investment; and developer Rick Barrett's planned $122 million, 44-story Couture apartment high-rise.

"There's never been a building boom in this city like we are seeing," city Development Commissioner Rocky Marcoux said at a news conference announcing Irgens' new office tower, dubbed the BMO Harris Financial Center.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 10:08 PM

Some Pictures of NML and the Arena District 12/9/16

I see you NML by bucksfan86, on Flickr

Milwaukee by bucksfan86, on Flickr

Fear the Deer by bucksfan86, on Flickr

Fear the Deer by bucksfan86, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations