HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 3:32 AM

well it works both way, when the status of the two language was put forth by Trudeau, why the heck the rest of Canada not make an effort to learn french, over thirty years has past since and the same old bullshit remains rampant pertaining to french people in Quebec, one ought a to remember that Quebec is still 1/3 of the population of this Country.
Like you state if we french people want to learn English then be it our choice, however there was a time in this Country's history where french language was only allowed in the house under the guise and dominance of the clergy and its institution, plus the thumbs firmly imposed by the hierarchy of the English monopoly to keep french in the poor house so to say.
I recall a time as a teenager where we were obliged to learn English it was shoved down our throat, I do not see anyone here in Canada forcing french down your brain, that being said why do English people are behaving with such disgust over an encroached law of the land is beyond comprehension, such an attitude makes people like me feel like we are such worthless members of Canadian society, yet we contribute without forcing the issue while living life in the language that surrounds us, it should not diminish the right to keep and learn and progress in our mother's tongue, I find it very offensive to put down even be it a minority a segment of the founding people of this Country.
we are more Canadian than you ever imagine and yes we speak french and english.
my family has been in this Country since 1791, we are spread across this great land and yes some of my family do not speak french anymore, and some like me wish to safeguard what made us Canadian but too loose our culture because of some few bad narrow minded people's arrogance that dictate what you say is best, is certainly not a viable way to find some common ground, I strongly suggest you seek commonality instead of difference it would certainly result in having our children be more tolerant in such world.
I am beginning to wonder after 30 years living here in BC if Quebec may be in its rightful place in seeking to become its own Country, with the like of ignorance prevailing with such fervour it amount to a very sad state of affair
to many who have thought otherwise.
I hope my kids do not have to face such bigotry in their lifetime while in this Country.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 3:32 AM

i advocate french to be put on all signs, just to be unique.

and install multi-language interactive bus schedules in the near future.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 3:51 AM

Quote:
well it works both way, when the status of the two language was put forth by Trudeau, why the heck the rest of Canada not make an effort to learn french, over thirty years has past since and the same old bullshit remains rampant pertaining to french people in Quebec, one ought a to remember that Quebec is still 1/3 of the population of this Country.
Like you state if we french people want to learn English then be it our choice, however there was a time in this Country's history where french language was only allowed in the house under the guise and dominance of the clergy and its institution, plus the thumbs firmly imposed by the hierarchy of the English monopoly to keep french in the poor house so to say.
I recall a time as a teenager where we were obliged to learn English it was shoved down our throat, I do not see anyone here in Canada forcing french down your brain, that being said why do English people are behaving with such disgust over an encroached law of the land is beyond comprehension, such an attitude makes people like me feel like we are such worthless members of Canadian society, yet we contribute without forcing the issue while living life in the language that surrounds us, it should not diminish the right to keep and learn and progress in our mother's tongue, I find it very offensive to put down even be it a minority a segment of the founding people of this Country.
we are more Canadian than you ever imagine and yes we speak french and english.
my family has been in this Country since 1791, we are spread across this great land and yes some of my family do not speak french anymore, and some like me wish to safeguard what made us Canadian but too loose our culture because of some few bad narrow minded people's arrogance that dictate what you say is best, is certainly not a viable way to find some common ground, I strongly suggest you seek commonality instead of difference it would certainly result in having our children be more tolerant in such world.
I am beginning to wonder after 30 years living here in BC if Quebec may be in its rightful place in seeking to become its own Country, with the like of ignorance prevailing with such fervour it amount to a very sad state of affair
to many who have thought otherwise.
I hope my kids do not have to face such bigotry in their lifetime while in this Country.
i think you may be one of the most bigoted ones here on this issue looking at how defensive you get. my post was simply referring to why most people in BC don't know French, not that French people are lower or any less Canadian then anyone else. That you read into it by yourself.

While I agree that English Canada from Manitoba east to the coast have had heavy interactions and dealings with French culture, you have to understand that French interactions are not at all a big part of BC's history and is rather a superficial implementation on West Coast culture. To me it is like going to Seattle and saying it is a shame they also don't speak french, for the US also has large french cultural roots.

BC was at one point not even going to be part of Canada, we were our own entity seeing what team would benefit us most (US or Canada).

Honestly, what is your problem dude?

I do think that the Olympics should be bilingual, for they are a national event, but speaking french is not very important to people in Vancouver during their daily lives, forcing a language on people is also unnatural and fascist. if the people here want to speak it, good for them, but if they find other languages are better suited for their lives, or no second language at all, you cant get mad at them! The individual will decide what they feel they need to speak

Also it sure is a bitch culture is organic and not stagnant for you eh?

And I know there are a few people in Vancouver who speak French, but there are a few people who speak any language you can think of here.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 3:55 AM
I am a typical

People can speak French openly here all the want. You can't get much service in French, but you can't get much service in Finnish either and Finnish speakers far outnumber Francophones. They're very accommodated, but have to realize that when a community is only 1.5% Francophone, providing all available services in their language can be a burden. And what about the aboriginal languages? Aren't they part of Canada? I doubt we'll see a single Canadian Aboriginal Syllabic (a writing system 100% unique to Canada) at these games.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Peux tu dire, «There are more pressing issues than this» ?
How many of your tax dollars go to ensuring that every Federal presence in Vancouver has to have some French speaker available for non-existent French speaking customers? More than you'd think.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 4:00 AM

That is actually an excellent point Vid. I have actually thought that to bring more unity between first nations and the rest of Canada, that schools should teach, at least the basics, of the most common native language once spoken in the schools location.

That would be something that could become very unique in Canada and bring some more pride to our nation.

To me it would make more sense to teach our local native languages as a second language in BC.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 5:36 AM
testify

^ i like this idea a lot.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 9:18 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Just for the record:
Many people speak french in Canada outside of Quebec. About 1/2 the population of New Brunswick speaks french. There are french speakers in northern Ontario, not to mention Ottawa. Winnipeg was originally settled by francophones, and my grandmother was born in Manitoba in a town where no one spoke french until they learned it at school. Alberta and BC have communities like Maillardville in Coquitlam. They have churches which have mass in french etc. To say that outside of Quebec every native-born Canadian speaks English as their mother tongue is very ignorant.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 9:31 AM

Indeed.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 10:20 AM

my friends mother tongue is urdu

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 12:20 PM
Give us a kiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
And we've been telling Quebec to ante up English signs for the last 30 years....the official languages of this country are French AND English.
What does this have to do with anything? Quebec's official language is French, so most signs there are going to be in French, just the way most signs here are in English. I haven't seen much French here outside of YVR, and I dont think anyone in their right mind would think of complaining about it.
Now as to what this has to do with the Olympics, whose official languages are English and French...

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
I strongly suggest you seek commonality instead of difference it would certainly result in having our children be more tolerant in such world.
Great post

There are still sensible anglophones in this country, Jacques. Some of us know the history and don't feel the need to incessantly harp and moan on such a divisive topic that few actually understand. I have lived in Montreal and have a great love for the Quebecois and the French language in general. I feel enriched by having grown up in Canada, by having been taught French in school, and by becoming a bilingual member of our society.

Sadly, many anglophones in this country don't understand the damage they do with the stance they take on this issue. Is one province's laws to protect a vulnerable language amidst a sea of English really worth pushing that province out of our great country? I don't think so. Do the laws in Quebec actually affect the average person living in BC or elsewhere? No. Is the government really going bankrupt because of the promotion of bilingualism? No. Seriously, people just need to relax and leave well enough alone.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 6:44 PM

I suppose Charest wants us to French it up a little by running the Olympics at a huge deficit also?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 8:46 PM

I find the words of some very appalling. O.O

To be honest... how much does it cost to have at least some French signs installed at appropriate places to help athletes and tourists get around? Maybe $10000 at most? It'd be much more costly to pay for translators during the whole Games period. = \

I would think that people in a multicultural place like Canada would not be quibbling so nastily over a basic token of respect at a function that has national (not just provincial or local) importance.

If it really helps to calm down the situation maybe we should just install big LEDs displaying the name of the venues in every language possible. o.O

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 9:17 PM
Dont let the name fool u

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
Just for the record:
Many people speak french in Canada outside of Quebec. About 1/2 the population of New Brunswick speaks french. There are french speakers in northern Ontario, not to mention Ottawa. Winnipeg was originally settled by francophones, and my grandmother was born in Manitoba in a town where no one spoke french until they learned it at school. Alberta and BC have communities like Maillardville in Coquitlam. They have churches which have mass in french etc. To say that outside of Quebec every native-born Canadian speaks English as their mother tongue is very ignorant.
Exactly. Being french does not equal being Quebecois. Like myself for instance, I speak both French and English, however I'm not from Quebec. Not only is it ignorant, but also insulting to assume only people in Quebec speak french. The reverse is true as well.

Having said, you'd think as a bilingual country the Olympics will be bilingual. I would assume it goes without saying?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 10:55 PM

It seems that many (most?) of the people defending Charest's interference are not native British Columbians. Folks (especially from Ontario I find) just don't realize how irrelevant Quebec and the French language are to life in BC. And how irrepresentative the Federal gov't and its Ottawa bureaucracy are of our province. Go through any Federal department personnel listing - heavily populated by a self-perpetuating bilingual elite.

I use to be of the flag-clutching "my Canada includes Quebec" ilk, but really BC would be just as well off on its own. As the Chinese proverb goes: "The mountains are high and the emperor is far away".

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 11:24 PM

There are also quite a lot of ex French immersion people from BC like myself. Every now and again I'll meet other English Canadians who speak French quite well. Unfortunately we never get the chance to use it unless we're in France or Quebec.

Belgium has similar linguistic divisions between French and Flemish; the welsh are trying to hold on to their language. If anything it just enriches the populace learning another language - French is the only other common one for new Canadians to learn.

Can anyone point out a secondary language that makes sense to learn? Spanish is the most practical given the rest of the Americas. E.g. you can get by in a lot more countries if you know Spanish than Japanese, Chinese or Finnish

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 12:29 AM

Video Link

my 2 cents

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duener View Post
Can anyone point out a secondary language that makes sense to learn? Spanish is the most practical given the rest of the Americas. E.g. you can get by in a lot more countries if you know Spanish than Japanese, Chinese or Finnish
I recently here in BC without ever taking a French course. I got written permission in grade 8 (grade 8 french is compulsory normally) for a study block, and took Spanish classes from grade 9 -12. Most people I graduated never took French courses pass grade 8 and besides the few words I was taught in Elementary school I don't know any French. I definitely feel like Spanish is more relevant and useful in the Americas.

That said I understand both sides, while the French language may seem irrelevant in the west, Canada is bilingual and so are the Olympics there should be at the least an improvement of signage and support for French speaking visitors

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 6:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
It seems that many (most?) of the people defending Charest's interference are not native British Columbians. Folks (especially from Ontario I find) just don't realize how irrelevant Quebec and the French language are to life in BC. And how irrepresentative the Federal gov't and its Ottawa bureaucracy are of our province. Go through any Federal department personnel listing - heavily populated by a self-perpetuating bilingual elite.

I use to be of the flag-clutching "my Canada includes Quebec" ilk, but really BC would be just as well off on its own. As the Chinese proverb goes: "The mountains are high and the emperor is far away".
What do you mean by native British Columbians? People whose descendants are European and who moved here early in BC history? Or people who are just born here? Or people who are descendants of First Nations in BC? =S

Also, aren't government services already scaled towards local demographics?

BTW it's not good to throw a few accusations out there just to make your point seem stronger.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]