HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 8:23 PM

U.S. President Barack Obama could visit Vancouver Olympics

U.S. President Barack Obama could visit Vancouver Olympics
American ambassador, a friend of the president, makes reference to bringing 'a friend' to Games

By Jeff Lee, Vancouver Sun
December 3, 2009 12:15 PM

VANCOUVER — U.S. President Barack Obama may attend the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics.

In an oblique reference earlier this week, David Jacobson, the U.S. Ambassador to Canada, told the Vancouver Board of Trade he may “bring a friend” to Vancouver in February.

That might not seem like much, except for the fact that Jacobson, a Chicago lawyer, is a personal friend of the president and was also his presidential campaign deputy finance chairman.

“I don’t say this very often, but I’m looking forward to snow,” said Jacobson, who spent five days in B.C. touring Metro and Whistler.

“I’m looking forward to coming back here to Vancouver, maybe in February and maybe I’ll bring a friend,” he told the board of trade.

Jacobson didn’t elaborate on his remarks, and the U.S. Consulate said Thursday they have no knowledge of whether Obama will make the trip to Vancouver next year.

“The head of the U.S. delegation has not yet been named and we do not know who it will be,” said Charles Smith, a consulate spokesman.

The International Olympic Committee is responsible for inviting heads of state to its Games. The last time Obama attended an IOC event was in October in Copenhagen, where he helped deliver Chicago’s unsuccessful bid for the 2016 Games. The fact IOC members voted first to dump Chicago ahead of other losing bidders was seen by Americans as something of a snub to Obama, raising questions about whether he will want to attend the Vancouver opening ceremony so soon after the vote.

However, Smith said the consulate is “getting a lot” of questions from people wondering if Obama will attend the Olympics’ opening ceremony Feb. 12.

But if the president does make an appearance in Vancouver, he’ll likely also visit the Richmond Speed Skating Oval. The venue, like several others in Whistler and Vancouver, has been visited recently by U.S. Secret Service officials, who are charged with protecting the First Family.

Ted Townsend, a spokesman for the City of Richmond, said he had no advance knowledge that Obama will visit the oval. But he suggested the president may be drawn to the oval by the strong performance expected from Olympic gold medallist Shani Davis.

“Shani is a very strongly-ranked speed skater and I would suspect the president, if he comes to Vancouver, will want to take in his performance,” said Townsend.

“It will be a good performance, except for the fact that (Chetwynd-born speed skater) Denny Morrison is going to kick his butt.”

Meanwhile, California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger’s office confirmed he had received an invitation to attend the opening ceremony but had not yet confirmed whether he will attend.

jefflee@vancouversun.com

Read Jeff Lee’s blog at vancouversun.com/insidetheolympics

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 8:32 PM
testify

would be awesome to have obama up for the opening ceremonies -would massively raise their profile.

and this:

Quote:
“I don’t say this very often, but I’m looking forward to snow,” said Jacobson, who spent five days in B.C. touring Metro and Whistler.
metro? i've never seen that written like that, with a capital 'm' and everything. weird.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 8:39 PM

^ one of the sweet jobs of being the new ambassador for your nation in another nation is that you get to tour the entire country to get to know how it works and experience its culture. I think I read an article about him having his first poutine in Quebec City.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 9:05 PM
Site 8 Lives

Obama's presence would be HUGE. It would really be a feather in the cap for VANOC.

Obama's smart - he knows that if he plays his cards right, Chicago is the inevitable front-runner for the 2020 Games.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 9:32 PM

After Rio, the Olympics will be due to be awarded to an Asian city. The IOC likes to alternate between three regions, and they're already in the Americas in 2010 and 2016. I'm afraid Chicago (and Toronto) are probably not likely to win the next few competitions.

I wonder if Africa will ever get a nod.

Anyway, good news about Obama. His presence will "legitimize" 2010 for many Americans who otherwise prefer the summer games.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 11:08 PM

^ South Africa depends on how they perform for next year's World Cup, which has so far been slated with many major problems.

2020 will go to either Europe or Asia.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 12:18 AM

Please don't. It'll be enough of a zoo.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 12:55 AM
ON3P Skis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Please don't. It'll be enough of a zoo.
I agree.

With regards to Africa, Cape Town has considered a bid for 2024, though as said previously any sort of bid will depend on how the World Cup experience goes.

Last edited by wrenegade; Dec 6, 2009 at 9:17 PM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 1:46 AM

Please come Obama! We'll show the world that we can successfully put on an event that can handle even the likes of you!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]