HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 5:23 PM

Halifax Concert Thread

I figured we could do with a concert thread for HRM. In the paper this morning:

Quote:
Elton John coming to Halifax
Pop star bringing tour to Metro Centre in September
By GREG GUY Arts&Life Editor
Mon. Jul 14 - 1:57 PM

Elton John will be making his Atlantic Canadian debut in Halifax in September, The Chronicle Herald has learned.

The Academy Award-winner and five-time Grammy-winning singer-composer-pianist will be performing solo for the first time at the Halifax Metro Centre on Sept. 26 and 27 as part of the 2008 tour Rocket Man — Number Ones.

Tickets go on sale 9 a.m. Friday and will cost $99.50 and $149.50, plus service charges. The price includes GST.

The Elton John AIDS Foundation will receive $2 from every ticket sold. Tickets will be available at the Ticket Atlantic box office at Halifax Metro Centre and at all participating Atlantic Superstore outlets. Charge by phone at 902-451-1221 or go online at www.ticketatlantic.com.

There will be a four-ticket limit per customer.

There had been speculation for several months that the Rocket Man was heading our way.

Fred MacGillivray, Trade Centre Ltd.’s president and CEO, said he and his team have been working for "many, many months" with Montreal-based Gillett Entertainment Group to bring these Elton John concerts to Halifax.

"This is a biggie," MacGillivray said Sunday. "We are absolutely thrilled to be hosting the fantastic Sir Elton John for two shows at the Halifax Metro Centre.

"He is such a huge draw. I expect it will sell out within minutes."

In June, tickets for Sir Elton’s concert in Regina sold out reportedly within four minutes. Between his gigs at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, he has been playing smaller Canadian arena shows in places like Sudbury and Kitchener. He plays Saskatoon, Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg on his way to Atlantic Canada.

MacGillivray said the city has welcomed many top entertainers in the past and compared the Elton John concerts to the likes of the Rolling Stones and Garth Brooks.

"When we ask people what entertainer they would like to see, nine times out of 10, they will say Elton John," said MacGillivray, admitting that the British pop star has been high on the list of performers Metro Centre officials have been trying to land for years.

"I guess it’s been at least four or five years working through Gillett Entertainment that we wanted to get him here."

The Rock and Roll Hall of Famer has also planned shows at Moncton Coliseum on Sept. 28 (with tickets on sale Saturday), Harbour Station in Saint John, N.B., on Sept. 30 (with tickets also on sale Saturday), and Mile One Centre in St. John’s, N.L., on Oct. 2 and 3 (with tickets on sale Friday).

Elton John has sold more than 200 million records, has had 29 consecutive Top 40 hits and has had 35 gold and 25 platinum albums.

In March 2007, he released Rocket Man — Number Ones, which debuted in the top 10 and features newly compiled and digitally mastered hits spanning the first three decades of his career.

Born Reginald Kenneth Dwight in March 1947, the young British singer was a piano prodigy, first hitting the keys at age three.

By 1967, he teamed up with Bernie Taupin, who became his longtime writing partner, and they recorded the tune Scarecrow. It was that year that Dwight changed his name to Elton John. He came up with it by combining the first name of saxophonist Elton Dean, who he played with in his first band, Blues-ology, and the name of British blues legend Long John Baldry.

By 1970, the John-Taupin tune Your Song, hit the U.S. top 10.

The flashy, flamboyant singer with the outrageous costumes and eyewear became a pop-rock superstar. He entered the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1994. He was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II in 1998.

In December 2005, he entered a civil partnership with Toronto-born filmmaker David Furnish, who directed the documentary Elton John: Tantrums and Tiaras

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 12:06 PM
Closed account

I wondering if I should try my luck waiting outside the metro centre, or if I should just go to the website and continuously hit refresh until 9am

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 2:02 PM

Don't bother going to the metro center. If it sells out in 5-6 minutes as predicted, the first 10 people in line MAY get tickets. Very frustrating if you ask me, watching the minutes tick by while the people at the window in front of you hum and haw over seat choices and try and decide whether to put it on the Visa or, wait no, the Mastercard for the airmiles.. Grrr!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 3:40 PM
Closed account

My plan was to be the first person in line, but I really don't know if I can stand waiting there for 12+ hours if there are other crazy people like me planning on doing the same thing.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 6:32 PM

ooooHHH! so YOU plan on being the one in front of me holding up the line!! Lol

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 5:15 PM
Closed account

That'll be meeeeeeeeee.

Unless there are already a bunch of people in line when I get there. In that case, I'm going to turn around,go home and try my luck on the website.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2009, 8:25 PM

Kiss to 'Rock and Roll All Nite'... in Halifax?
JENNIFER TAPLIN, METRO HALIFAX
January 13, 2009 02:29

Rumours about glam rockers KISS coming to Halifax are solidifying.

An ad running this week in Metro says “Get ready,” with a picture of the iconic KISS makeup on a mask.

A very new website, Halifax Rocks, promises an official announcement “very, very soon.”

Reports of a KISS concert first came from the lips of bassist Gene Simmons last fall. He told news outlets they’re planning to do about 10 stops in the summer of ’09 with some Canadian shows.

“I know Halifax is one, but before you get out there and start the baseball season, they hold exhibition games, that’s what we’re doing. ’Cause once we go out, it’s going to be for a year and a half,” Simmons said.

- DJ

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 12:53 AM

Gene Simmons is coming to town...quick everyone hide you girlfriends and wives!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 1:48 PM
Closed account

KISS is apparently confirmed and the official announcement will be made soon. They could have a high-profile opening act join them, i.e. Rolling Stones with Kanye West.

Other acts in the rumor mill are:

U2 and AC/DC - AC/DC's new album is already out and they are supposed to go on another North American swing on their current world tour in late summer/fall. U2 has a new album coming out and will be touring for it.

However, rumor is that either of these two acts would be more likely to play Moncton than Halifax.

Bruce Springsteen was also rumored to be coming as he will have a new album out shortly. Although the date I heard was March 23rd...which seems less and less likely as time goes on without an announcement.

And perhaps the most promising rumor is an Elton John and Billy Joel concert. Both are going on a two year world tour together, and supposed Elton really liked Halifax...

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrenic View Post

Other acts in the rumor mill are:

U2 and AC/DC - AC/DC's new album is already out and they are supposed to go on another North American swing on their current world tour in late summer/fall. U2 has a new album coming out and will be touring for it.

However, rumor is that either of these two acts would be more likely to play Moncton than Halifax.
either U2 or AC/DC would be sweet!...seen U21 in 96' in the Skydome...definitely a good show...and I would be happy if either of them played Magnetic Hill... I saw the Stones there in 05' and man that was the best concert of my life!!..so much better that the Halifax gig, and not just because it was raining in Hali...the atmosphere and party's at Magnetic hill where out of this world!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2009, 12:38 PM

AC/DC puts on an awesome live show. I'd love to see one...

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 11:42 PM

If U2 came, I might just wet myself with excitement.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2009, 10:20 PM

VIP washrooms and bar service? Dude. Sign me up.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 9:30 PM

It's official: Kiss to play Halifax Commons in July

By STEPHEN COOKE Entertainment Reporter
Tue. Feb 3 - 4:28 PM

The Cat is finally out of the bag, along with the Demon, the Starchild and the Spaceman: Kiss is coming back to Halifax.

Concert promoter Harold MacKay announced at a media conference on Tuesday morning that the veteran makeup-and-leather clad classic rock act will headline Halifax Rocks 2009 on the Halifax Commons on Saturday, July 18, with a limit of 40,000 tickets going on sale this Friday.
“There’s a lot that’s been written and said about the types of music that Halifax wants to see, and what we keep hearing is it wants good ol’ rock ‘n’ roll,” said MacKay, who has been trying for two years to persuade Kiss to return to the Maritimes for the first time since the mid-’70s.

MacKay’s company, Power Promotional Events, produced last year’s Country Rocks 2008 show with Keith Urban, which drew about 25,000 and a series of all-star country concerts on Moncton’s Magnetic Hill.

Members of the Kiss Army have been crossing their fingers since November, when the band’s fire-breathing bassist Gene Simmons leaked the news that they’d be playing a series of Canadian dates this summer, specifically naming Halifax as one of the stops. Over the past few weeks, newspaper ads featuring the distinctive Kiss kabuki-style makeup designs have been directing the curious to a Halifax Rocks 2009 website.

On Monday, the website kissonline.com revealed the event was a go as well as the Friday sale date. The show will feature the current KISS lineup of band founders Simmons and Paul Stanley, with drummer Eric Singer and guitarist Tommy Thayer, plus four other major rock acts whose names will be released in the coming weeks.

“Obviously these will be rock and roll bands, there won’t be any rap acts on the bill,” said MacKay. “Actually, Gene Simmons has made it very clear in the contract that they must approve all of the bands that play for us.

“One of the things we hope to do is have a battle of the bands contest with the help of our media partners, which will allow us to have a local act open the show. We did that in Moncton and it worked very well.”

Power Promotional Events is working with Events Halifax to produce the day-long event, while Halifax Regional Municipality will provide services — including transit, policing and off-site cleanup — up to a cost of $150,000. Grant MacDonald of Events Halifax predicted the concert would “provide economic spinoffs in themillions of dollars,” while the combination of Kiss and the Tall Ships Nova Scotia Festival 2009 that same weekend would keep downtown hotels, restaurants and shops busy.

As with previous Commons concerts like the Rolling Stones in 2006 and Country Rocks 2008, there are concerns over damage to the turf on the downtown green space; however District 12 councillor Dawn Sloane said after the conference that the municipality is learning from previous experience how to reduce their impact on the area.

“We’ll be striving to make sure the effect on the Commons is minimal, and maintain good communication with the residents around the Commons,” explained Sloane. “There’s always room for improvement, but I’m pretty comfortable that this will be a success for the downtown core.”

Tickets on Friday will be at an “early bird” price of $89 (including taxes) for general admission and $279 (including taxes) for a limited number of VIP area tickets. They will be available via the Ticket Atlantic box office (451-1221 or www.ticketatlantic.com) and select Atlantic Superstore outlets.

==============================================================================================================================

So the one question remains is who are the other four bands that are playing?

One thing's for sure between the Tall Ships and this on the same weekend Halifax will be the "place to be".

- DJ

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 4:44 PM
Closed account

Paul McCartney July 11

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/9011867.html

Heard the rumor about this one a month ago and to be honest I didn't expect it to materialize.

It's a busy summer for big shows in the Maritimes. I hope they don't all lose money.

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 7:36 PM

Man Moncton has got us beat again!!! sure sir Paul is wicked and I'm gonna love seeing him, but our other big show is Kiss....who suck A**.....moncton have AC/DC and Bon Jovi....and while neither of them by there self would be more appealing that Sir Paul....the combination of the two is a victory for moncton...IMO.....also moncton Trumped us last year by getting the Eagles....while we where left with Keith Urban... ....even when the had the stone concert in 05 the back up acts where The Tragically Hip, Our Lady Peace, and Maroon5...In the Halifax show it was Kanya West and Alice Cooper

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 8:10 PM

I dunno. Monton has something with AC/DC, sure, but frankly they can keep Bon Jovi after he plays "Dead or Alive". If I have to hear "Always" again I'll throw my radio across the room.

I never did like hard rock schmaltz, and Bon Jovi tends towards too much of that.

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 8:16 PM

ya, you made a good point about Bon Jovi...AC/DC, puts on a killer show though...at SARS stock, they put the headliners.......The Rolling Stones no less..to shame.......Sir Paul is gonna be wicked though...can't Wait......

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrington south View Post
Man Moncton has got us beat again!!! sure sir Paul is wicked and I'm gonna love seeing him, but our other big show is Kiss....who suck A**....
That's a rather subjective statement to make as if it were fact...personally I think Halifax has Moncton beat. I would much rather see KISS or Paul McCartney than either AC/DC or Bon Jovi.

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
I would much rather see KISS than AC/DC .

man, I always knew you and i where from different planets....but apparently we're also from different galaxy's

but after thinking about what Nilan and phrenic said, I have to agree with them....McCartney is Huge....more so than AC/DC...(I still love them though) and Halifax has indeed come out on top this year....especially considering this is his only Canadian date....nice job Hali!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment