HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 1:00 PM
Salty Town

I think the same stage setup as the one for McCartney would work. 60,000 a night for two nights. What about Shannon Park?

From the Metro Nov 29

Recruiting The Boss
Region trying to woo Bruce Springsteen Rocker yet to name world-tour dates

JENNIFER TAPLIN
METRO HALIFAX
Published: November 28, 2011 11:50 p.m.
Last modified: November 29, 2011 3:38 a.m.

more Email

Be the first to comment
Print article
Text size
There are some local music fans who think luring the The Boss to Atlantic Canada would be, well, boss.

“Bruce Springsteen is just one of those acts, along with the E Street Band, that can put on a spectacular live show that can attract many people of many age groups,” said Cole McLean, founder of AtlanticCanadaRocks.ca.

He even launched a website — ItsBossTime.ca — to gather fan support and catch the attention of concert promoters, and Springsteen himself, to add Atlantic Canada to his upcoming tour.

“I think most people, including myself, are hoping for the Moncton venue because it’s a prime location, you can get to it from many cities throughout the region and the natural amphitheatre makes for a great show,” McLean said.

The Halifax Common is too flat, and Garrison Grounds won’t accommodate enough people, he added.

It’s unknown if HRM Mayor Peter Kelly can be found Dancing in the Dark, but he did say yesterday he’s a fan of Springsteen’s music.

In fact, Kelly thinks a Springsteen concert is such a great idea, he plans to bring it up at this morning’s World Trade and Convention Centre’s board meeting.

Kelly isn’t shying away from participating in another massive concert effort even after he was burned earlier this year in a concert spending scandal resulting in a report from HRM’s auditor general.

“We’re still open for business as long as everybody knows the rules,” he said

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 2:53 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

How is the common too flat? A field in a large Stadium would be flat as well.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 8:18 PM
opinionated so and so

60,000?

Last two shows (several years apart) that Bruce did in Toronto were at ACC, so 18,000 in Toronto, one night.

I don't think this would sell more than 25,000 in this market (please read that as "would be lucky to sell). Bruce is big, but he is exactly around the same size as Sir Paul, who only did 24,000.

Is this full band or troubadour acoustic?

Anyway, if flat is the worry, this would easily fit on the Hill.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 8:27 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

They should hold the geriatric rock concerts in Victoria Park so the seniors in the new home can listen in.

I don't want to sound too negative about these events but it's a little sad how the media in Halifax or Moncton make it sound like the region has "arrived" and is finally getting the big acts. These are old musicians who do their rounds in Sudbury or whatever then go to Moncton. Stuff like HPX or the everyday local live music is more interesting and culturally relevant but doesn't seem to factor into these "Maritime entertainment capital" stories.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 8:43 PM
Urban Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
They should hold the geriatric rock concerts in Victoria Park so the seniors in the new home can listen in.

I don't want to sound too negative about these events but it's a little sad how the media in Halifax or Moncton make it sound like the region has "arrived" and is finally getting the big acts. These are old musicians who do their rounds in Sudbury or whatever then go to Moncton. Stuff like HPX or the everyday local live music is more interesting and culturally relevant but doesn't seem to factor into these "Maritime entertainment capital" stories.
Good point. To me, getting shows like the Arcade Fire gig at Alderny Landing, Dan Mangan, Timber Timbre, Stars, Plants and Animals and the Rural Alberta Advantage at HPX are much more interesting.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 9:18 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I see Deep Purple is coming in March. Are they new and up and coming? LOL sorry just kidding.

I have heard that The Pixies are supposed to be coming back though.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 11:12 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
60,000?

Last two shows (several years apart) that Bruce did in Toronto were at ACC, so 18,000 in Toronto, one night.

I don't think this would sell more than 25,000 in this market (please read that as "would be lucky to sell). Bruce is big, but he is exactly around the same size as Sir Paul, who only did 24,000.

Is this full band or troubadour acoustic?

Anyway, if flat is the worry, this would easily fit on the Hill.
You obviously know nothing about the entertainment industry. I will let you thumb through this 2012 schedule and respond before I rip you to shreds. I last saw the Boss at Giants stadium in 2009 to a 92,000 sellout for three nights and before you get your knickers in a twist ....I know it was New Jersey but a 60,000 concert here would be 30,000 Americans.

Boss 2012
http://www.brucespringsteen.net/news/index.html

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 11:30 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
You obviously know nothing about the entertainment industry. I will let you thumb through this 2012 schedule and respond before I rip you to shreds. I last saw the Boss at Giants stadium in 2009 to a 92,000 sellout for three nights and before you get your knickers in a twist ....I know it was New Jersey but a 60,000 concert here would be 30,000 Americans.

Boss 2012

Thank you for presenting the facts.

This is the sort of concert that Halifax needs a stadium for. If Halifax had a stadium with 25,000 permanent seats, in a sunken bowl stadium with grassy hills to sit on, a large field to stand on, a sufficient number of washrooms instead of portable toilets, and some shelter from the heat and rain, then won't more people be inclined to attend large concerts in the HRM? Plus the set-up time will be quicker in a stadium than on the Commons.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 11:20 AM
Salty Town

For anyone who thinks the commons is too flat have a good look at this pic.

Boss tour site source

Boss 2012

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 11:21 AM
opinionated so and so

Quote:

Boss 2012
Hehehehehe. Nice and respectful, reasonable and well argued, as always.

Let's talk like adults:

1 - Is the Canadian market the same as the American market? Are consumer patterns and expectations the same? Are they exposed to the same media as Americans?
2 - Why would all sorts of Americans come here if it doesn't happen in Toronto and Montreal?

Last few Bruce shows in Canada:
May 2009 - Toronto, ACC
March 2008 - Montreal, Bell Centre
Mach 2008 - Vancouver, G.M. Place

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 11:51 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
it's a little sad how the media in Halifax or Moncton make it sound like the region has "arrived" and is finally getting the big acts. These are old musicians who do their rounds in Sudbury or whatever then go to Moncton.
U2 played Sudbury!?!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 12:08 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Hehehehehe. Nice and respectful, reasonable and well argued, as always.

Let's talk like adults:

1 - Is the Canadian market the same as the American market? Are consumer patterns and expectations the same? Are they exposed to the same media as Americans?
2 - Why would all sorts of Americans come here if it doesn't happen in Toronto and Montreal?

Last few Bruce shows in Canada:
May 2009 - Toronto, ACC
March 2008 - Montreal, Bell Centre
Mach 2008 - Vancouver, G.M. Place
It is always quite a mystery where you get your facts. I have seen Springsteen in both Toronto and Montreal and in both cases I was surrounded by Americans. How do I know that you ask.....I was talking to them, that's how. I suppose there would be Canadians like you (if there are any) who wouldn't even consider going to a Boss concert on the commons but that might be a rare find.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 1:26 PM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
It is always quite a mystery where you get your facts. I have seen Springsteen in both Toronto and Montreal and in both cases I was surrounded by Americans. How do I know that you ask.....I was talking to them, that's how. I suppose there would be Canadians like you (if there are any) who wouldn't even consider going to a Boss concert on the commons but that might be a rare find.
Right, so in the two biggest markets in Canada, with a huge number of Americans coming, the promoters still put the Boss in the ACC and Bell Centre, each hold 18K.

Earlier, you said the Boss in Halifax would draw 30K Americans.

I am not saying the Boss won't draw from the US, but I am doubting he will draw a) 30K from the US, and b) 30K locally when in two cities with 3 million population he clearly drew 18K. Both those cities have indoor venues that seat double that, more, at the Big O and Rogers Centre...

You have yet to put forward an arguement that would sway me that somehow the Boss will sell over three times more tickets in this market, which is 1/10th ths size of those markets.

PS I will be going to this concert, but my fandom of Bruce doesn't change the math. I think this is a good concert, but realistically his first play here ever will do 16-25K, probably at the lower end.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 2:05 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I see what's being said about Montreal and Toronto and only 18,000 seats. Would more tickets have sold if more were made available? Maybe the promoter couldn't get the Skydome or the Big Owe?

I also wonder how Moncton and Halifax have had pretty good success in the past if we are only 1/10th the size. AC/DC, U2, Sir Paul, KISS, The Eagles and Metallica to name most. As a region we have proven that if a big name comes to town we will sell the tickets whether it's Moncton or Halifax. We are in a region that is not flooded with big name concerts every night. When someone comes we tend to be there for them. If the majority of concert goers end up being from America, Quebec and Ontario so what? It's still 50-60 thousand people walking our streets and staying in our hotels.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 2:12 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Right, so in the two biggest markets in Canada, with a huge number of Americans coming, the promoters still put the Boss in the ACC and Bell Centre, each hold 18K.

Earlier, you said the Boss in Halifax would draw 30K Americans.

I am not saying the Boss won't draw from the US, but I am doubting he will draw a) 30K from the US, and b) 30K locally when in two cities with 3 million population he clearly drew 18K. Both those cities have indoor venues that seat double that, more, at the Big O and Rogers Centre...

You have yet to put forward an arguement that would sway me that somehow the Boss will sell over three times more tickets in this market, which is 1/10th ths size of those markets.

PS I will be going to this concert, but my fandom of Bruce doesn't change the math. I think this is a good concert, but realistically his first play here ever will do 16-25K, probably at the lower end.
=========================================
Bruce Springsteen - Concert Review: Air Canada Centre, Toronto
8 May 2009 ... Air Canada Centre, Toronto - May 7, 2009 ... which pulled into the Air Canada
Centre Thursday night in front of a boisterous, sold-out crowd. ...

Sold out Montreal Mar. 2, 2008
Sold out Vancouver Mar. 31 2008

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_T...ce_Springsteen)

Of the 100 concerts on the Magic Tour 96 sold out......that's pretty easy math!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 2:14 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
I see what's being said about Montreal and Toronto and only 18,000 seats. Would more tickets have sold if more were made available? Maybe the promoter couldn't get the Skydome or the Big Owe?

I also wonder how Moncton and Halifax have had pretty good success in the past if we are only 1/10th the size. AC/DC, U2, Sir Paul, KISS, The Eagles and Metallica to name most. As a region we have proven that if a big name comes to town we will sell the tickets whether it's Moncton or Halifax. We are in a region that is not flooded with big name concerts every night. When someone comes we tend to be there for them. If the majority of concert goers end up being from America, Quebec and Ontario so what? It's still 50-60 thousand people walking our streets and staying in our hotels.
I thought what you have said was obvious but I am glad you spelled it out for some who just don't get it.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 2:40 PM
Hopefully Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
What would be considered to be the top shows in North America. I am somewhat out of touch with current music so I will just mention a few, maybe some of the younger generation could help me out with a list of performers that Halifax should try to get. Here is my short list:

1) U2
2) Eric Clapton
3) Lady Gaga
I would add AC DC to that list (and remove the 1st and third...but thats JMO, of course). other than that, all the acts I would like to see in Hali would be repeat performances (which is great...I just assumed you meant people who havent played here before...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinMacD View Post
U2
Bruce Springsteen
ACDC

..would all be incredible.
amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Thank you for presenting the facts.

This is the sort of concert that Halifax needs a stadium for. If Halifax had a stadium with 25,000 permanent seats, in a sunken bowl stadium with grassy hills to sit on, a large field to stand on, a sufficient number of washrooms instead of portable toilets, and some shelter from the heat and rain, then won't more people be inclined to attend large concerts in the HRM? Plus the set-up time will be quicker in a stadium than on the Commons.
I think a stadium would really help draw a lot more to Hali...or atleast get them looking in the right direction...

I know all the negative views about this...but I could use some help... I would REALLY love to see AC DC play in Halifax. I am a MASSIVE AC DC fan, and this would be amazing-not just for myself or other fans in the province, but I think it could be great for the city/province as well (if done right anyway)...So if people here could possibly like the facebook page, and/or sign the paper-copy petitions (once they're ready, and if you're in either the valley or can get to/live in the city), I would really appreciate it. The campaign isn't about personal profit for anyone involved, and isnt about finding all problems/solutions to problems with concerts...right now, its all about identifying the interest in having the band come to the province. Anyway...the link is http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Hig...39816759386702

Highway to Halifax: Lets bring AC DC to the city---https://www.facebook.com/highwaytohalifax

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 5:58 PM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
=========================================
Bruce Springsteen - Concert Review: Air Canada Centre, Toronto
8 May 2009 ... Air Canada Centre, Toronto - May 7, 2009 ... which pulled into the Air Canada
Centre Thursday night in front of a boisterous, sold-out crowd. ...

Sold out Montreal Mar. 2, 2008
Sold out Vancouver Mar. 31 2008

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_T...ce_Springsteen)

Of the 100 concerts on the Magic Tour 96 sold out......that's pretty easy math!
Seating Capacity:
Basketball 19,800 seats
Hockey 18,800 seats
Full house concerts 19,800 seats
Theatre 5,200 seats

http://www.theaircanadacentre.com/about/Facts.asp

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 6:07 PM
opinionated so and so

I wish you well, but the Boss won't sell 2.5 times more tickets then Sir Paul did.

I guess some folks feel like they are concert experts because they have been to a couple.... but that is like saying you are could design and build a bridge because you drove over a one a couple times.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 6:49 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
I guess some folks feel like they are concert experts because they have been to a couple.... but that is like saying you are could design and build a bridge because you drove over a one a couple times.
I don't think this is what any of us feel. No one has claimed to be experts. We are just using other examples than the ones you have used. Ours show that there is potential for Bruce to do well based on other concerts of his caliber that have been played here before.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment