HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Jun 10, 2010, 4:13 PM
Closed account

While it likely won't compare to McCartney or the Stones, the BEP show will have a much bigger draw than the Kid Rock one.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2010, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrenic View Post
While it likely won't compare to McCartney or the Stones, the BEP show will have a much bigger draw than the Kid Rock one.
Hope they bring their Autotune.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2010, 1:07 PM
Closed account

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm glad I'm moving off the commons and to the North End before this summer's madness starts.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2010, 1:58 PM
Watching & Waiting

I'll be heading to the cottage that weekend for sure. Not that I mind the noise, but that I hate BEP & Kid Rock with such a passion.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 4:25 PM
Honored Member

What would be considered to be the top shows in North America. I am somewhat out of touch with current music so I will just mention a few, maybe some of the younger generation could help me out with a list of performers that Halifax should try to get. Here is my short list:

1) U2
2) Eric Clapton
3) Lady Gaga

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 4:52 PM

U2
Bruce Springsteen
ACDC

..would all be incredible.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinMacD View Post
U2
Bruce Springsteen
ACDC

..would all be incredible.
Wouldn't Kiss be in there somewhere?
Lillith Fair is a joke; it's done and was really badly organized this year.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 7:45 PM
Account Hacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
What would be considered to be the top shows in North America. I am somewhat out of touch with current music so I will just mention a few, maybe some of the younger generation could help me out with a list of performers that Halifax should try to get. Here is my short list:

1) U2
2) Eric Clapton
3) Lady Gaga
Lady Gaga actually played Alderney Landing two years ago as part of the Summer Rush Tour.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 10:04 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanNS View Post
Lady Gaga actually played Alderney Landing two years ago as part of the Summer Rush Tour.
Was it well attended? She seems to have become quite big over the past couple of years. In many ways she is like a young Cher as far as how she dresses and even her voice. One of her Youtube videos has 250,000,000 views - http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...lady+gaga&aq=f . Is Lady Gaga considered to be as big as bands like U2 and Eric Clapton? I get a really kick out of her video performances. She is a real performer.

Has Cher ever performed in Halifax?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 8:04 AM
Account Hacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Was it well attended? She seems to have become quite big over the past couple of years. In many ways she is like a young Cher as far as how she dresses and even her voice. One of her Youtube videos has 250,000,000 views - http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...lady+gaga&aq=f . Is Lady Gaga considered to be as big as bands like U2 and Eric Clapton? I get a really kick out of her video performances. She is a real performer.

Has Cher ever performed in Halifax?
I think it was, as have been all other Summer Rush concerts. This was actually in 2008, just before she "blew up". She actually wasn't even really considered the headliner for this.

http://www.metronews.ca/halifax/scene/article/65024

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 9:05 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanNS View Post
I think it was, as have been all other Summer Rush concerts. This was actually in 2008, just before she "blew up". She actually wasn't even really considered the headliner for this.

http://www.metronews.ca/halifax/scene/article/65024
Thanks for the link to the article. That was quite a lineup and only $25 dollars for tickets. Now that Lady Gaga has become so big, the Halifax area might have to wait until she is in her 60's before she will be back. It is good though that Dartmouth can say that Lady Gaga performed there.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 11:26 AM
Honored Member

This article was in the Chronicle Herald today. I highlighted some points that I thought were interesting - one is the point about it being more expensive to set up in Halifax because of a lack of a suitable stadium. Also, Mayor Kelly mentions bringing U2 to Halifax - it is good that it is being thought about. I think that U2 would be a big draw.

Quote:
Province passed on Peas
Promoter asked for $700,000 to help cover concerts
By JEFFREY SIMPSON Provincial Reporter
Fri, Jul 30 - 6:14 AM

Will.i.am and Fergie of The Black Eyed Peas perform during the Halifax Rocks 2010 concert at the Halifax Commons last Saturday. (Ted Pritchard / Staff)
Will.i.am and Fergie of The Black Eyed Peas perform during the Halifax Rocks 2010 concert at the Halifax Commons last Saturday. (Ted Pritchard / Staff)

A local promoter who received public money for last year’s Paul McCartney concert on the Halifax Commons wanted more cash for his shows this summer.

Harold MacKay, who heads Power Promotional Concepts Inc. of Dartmouth, said he asked the Department of Economic and Rural Development earlier this year for $700,000 to fund last weekend’s concert that featured the Black Eyed Peas and another country show in August.

"We were just seeing if we could maybe trigger some investment," MacKay said in an interview Thursday. "We were asking for some level of funding."

MacKay said he wrote a letter in March to Percy Paris, the minister of Economic and Rural Development, because he wanted $400,000 for help with infrastructure costs related to this summer’s shows and $300,000 for advertising. Paris rejected the request.

MacKay said his two shows will generate between $15 million and $18 million in economic spinoffs for Halifax and the province through taxes and other means.

"It’s very smart for the province to invest in it," MacKay said. "We just thought it was appropriate."

MacKay said it’s more expensive to present big concerts in Halifax than in other places because there’s no stadium or other permanent infrastructure to use, so the shows have to be held outside and everything has to be set up for each event.

He said he gets tremendous support from the city and Mayor Peter Kelly.

Last year, the province risked $3.5 million to help MacKay bring the former Beatle to Halifax.

The Tourism Department under the previous Conservative government provided MacKay’s company with the money to cover McCartney’s fee. The cash was recouped through ticket sales but Nova Scotia taxpayers would have been left in the lurch if not enough people had attended the outdoor show on the Halifax Commons.

The province ended up spending $300,000 to help Trade Centre Ltd., a Crown corporation, provide logistical support for the show and another $300,000 on advertising for the show.

MacKay said the McCartney show generated about $2.8 million in HST revenue and that concert, combined with one a week later featuring Kiss, generated about $24 million for local businesses.

He has declined to release attendance figures for any of his shows or divulge how many tickets were given away free of charge but said the concert last weekend was set up for 30,000 people.

"It was a pretty full house," he said.

Premier Darrell Dexter said each request for public funding made by private promoters is weighed on its own merits.

"You evaluate all these things on kind of a case-by-case basis and you never say never," he said. "We decided not to participate in this program this year for a number of reasons — one of which is we don’t have any money.

"We’re looking for ways to be able to save money rather than find new ventures."

But Dexter said declining to fund this summer’s shows should not be interpreted as a judgment on the merits of the concerts, citing them as important for making Halifax a more happening place and a bigger draw for visitors.

"I’m appreciative of the work that they do," he said of concert promoters like MacKay.

"It’s great that Halifax can attract these kinds of acts. I’m hoping that it was successful for the promoter (but) it’s not up to the province to underwrite all of the risk."

Mayor Peter Kelly thinks presenting summer concerts on the Common is a worthwhile endeavour, providing the performers can attract a large audience.

He said acts that look like they’ll draw smaller crowds should perhaps be moved out of the park and over to Citadel Hill.

The mayor said municipal staff work with concert promoters to see which venue in Halifax would be most suitable. Kelly said a popular band like U2, the rock group from Ireland, would likely be slotted into the Common site — if it was booked to play here.

Less well-known artists could possibly go to the Garrison Grounds at the foot of Citadel Hill, he said, adding that the Garrison Grounds can probably accommodate between 25,000 and 30,000 people.

"We need to see how we can better utilize that venue . . . to the benefit of the promoters" and Halifax Regional Municipality, Kelly told The Chronicle Herald.

With Michael Lightstone, staff reporter

( jsimpson@herald.ca)

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 2:28 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Kelly said a popular band like U2, the rock group from Ireland, would likely be slotted into the Common site — if it was booked to play here.
I laughed my ass off that whoever wrote this thought that they had to further describe U2 as a "rock group from Ireland"! Seriously dude... you and the Heritage Trust Mafia about likely the only ones who would have otherwise confused U2 with someone else.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 2:43 PM

Everyone wants U2 (promoters that is). My understanding is that even Tarlton can't get U2, so I doubt MacKay will get them. Their current 360 tour is only stageable in a football/soccer/athletics stadium (open fields and baseball parks are no good) The stage is an enormous 360 degree set, taking up most of a football field and requiring stadium seating on all sides. A broad argument could be made to stage it in the center of a large flat field, with temporary bleachers ringing the venue, but I doubt that promoters and agents for U2 have much appetite for the costs and logistics associated with that. Perhaps post 360 tour, a modified one off show on a proscenium arch could be staged, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 11:04 PM

Looks like there is trouble a foot for concerts on the commons. There was something on the CBC news today about someone getting signatures for a petition.

It wasn't that she was upset about having events there (as she points out to the pow wow that recently occured); she (and those signing the petition) aren't happy with the access being blocked off for long periods.

My first thought was this generates money for the city so tough; but I thought about it some more. If sufficient pressure is put on these concert people to get things done and up/torn down fast - then you could still have them but the time it takes to but up and take down the concert venues could be reduced?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Looks like there is trouble a foot for concerts on the commons. There was something on the CBC news today about someone getting signatures for a petition.

It wasn't that she was upset about having events there (as she points out to the pow wow that recently occured); she (and those signing the petition) aren't happy with the access being blocked off for long periods.
Yes, she is one of the usual suspects who lives in the area that the CBC gives a disproportionate amount of airtime to in order to put forward her position that it is her backyard. I found it interesting that she had no difficulty with the native gathering there that also impeded access to the Common. Seems her problem is using it for an event that may or may not make money for the promoter, whereas she has no difficulty using it for an event that uses public money to give to certain chosen groups.

Quote:
My first thought was this generates money for the city so tough; but I thought about it some more. If sufficient pressure is put on these concert people to get things done and up/torn down fast - then you could still have them but the time it takes to but up and take down the concert venues could be reduced?
I would suggest that the blocking off of the area is the city's fault. They could have chosen to insist that the concerts take place on back to back weekends as a condition of use, or any number of other strategies. In any event, it is largely a red herring. Half of the space has remained totally accessible the entire time, and the remainder could have easily had the sidewalks remain open around the perimeter with a little reconfiguration of the fencing -- again, HRM's fault. However, all of these minor issues become a huge cause celebre for the NIMBYs who live there, who really are quite parochial. Many of them termed this past weekend's country music event as "hickfest", a hugely offensive term. You can always count on the CBC to give them a platform to air their gripes.

Within reason, these concerts give a sense of much-needed vibrancy to the area and I congratulate the promoter on doing them.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 1:16 PM
Closed account

I have to say, I was at one point a huge supporter of the big commons shows. But there is a definite problem with the length of time things are being blocked off and with how long it takes to tear everything down and return the space to locals.

I don't live by the commons anymore so I can't comment on what equipment is still on the site from the weekend, but there were pieces of equipment still on the grounds more than a week after the KISS show last year. The stuff from this year's Pow Wow was almost completely removed 24 hours after the event ended.

I'm not saying they're a bad thing - they're not - but the set-up/tear-down process needs to be streamlined significantly.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 3:22 PM

yeah, i know some people that play baseball at the commons on Thursdays but they couldn't play for the week during the pow wow or three weeks during the concerts because of them keeping them up, im still a supporter of these big shows because its great for our city but they might want to be a little quicker in taking the stuff down at least because there's only a few good weeks in summer.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 4:53 PM
Closed account

I just think it would help win over many of the naysayers if promoters like MacKay actually kept their word when it comes to "minimal disruption".

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrenic View Post
I just think it would help win over many of the naysayers if promoters like MacKay actually kept their word when it comes to "minimal disruption".
I agree; so them perhaps (if the election changes things) someone will hold him accountable? My suggestion would be to tighten the rules and give less time to break down and setup and see how it works.

The thing I liked about the story on CBC (with the woman collecting signatures - versus just the general naysayers) was that she pointed out about how the pow wow occured; but that it didn't cause a big disruption. If memory serves; she also said that if they could set up and take down quicker; that would be fine. So ultimately; she wasn't about no concerts, she was just about making sure that the park was open as much as possible.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment