HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 3:22 PM

Dont forget Fort Richmond which just de-malled.

And Im old enough to remember...Southwood Mall? I cant remember if that name is accurate. The Best Buy/Shapes/Staples/Toys R Us on pembina...it used to be a mall.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 3:39 PM

Got to hand it to Grant Park for being well ahead of trends in the past. It was Winnipeg's first big box mall and the first to convert from big box to enclosed mall.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 9:04 PM

I took a quick peak inside the former Sears St Vital today, and notice a PCL construction sign inside the store. They could be cleaning up the space, and getting rid of the left over fixtures and stuff.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 9:34 PM
What could go wrong?

I could be wrong, but I don't think PCL would get involved to just get rid of fixtures and stuff. They could be doing either major construction of new space or alterations to bring the base building up to whatever standards STVC wants to be leasable.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 10:16 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post

And Im old enough to remember...Southwood Mall? I cant remember if that name is accurate. The Best Buy/Shapes/Staples/Toys R Us on pembina...it used to be a mall.
Forest Park Mall (Charleswood) had an enclosed part too and was de-malled in the 90s.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I could be wrong, but I don't think PCL would get involved to just get rid of fixtures and stuff. They could be doing either major construction of new space or alterations to bring the base building up to whatever standards STVC wants to be leasable.
Second floor is leased apparently so I would bet if that’s true PCL is converting the main floor for second floor access.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 4:49 PM

If St Vital is leasing the second floor of Eaton's opps Sears the vacant space as a separate unit I would imagine the entrance is basically going to slice a corner of the wide mall entrance to the space and have stairs/elevators there with possibly a minimal main level space to let people know something is up there. Doing a quick estimate on the size of the space though it is in the 40,000 to 50,000 sq ft range (maybe larger) which is quite huge. That is actually larger the Off 5th the Outlet mall and in the range of most Save on Foods stores.

Will definitely be interesting to see how this all shakes out at both St Vital and Polo Park. Polo Park has almost double the space to fill and it has the weird underground loading dock to also address.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 6:16 PM

Quote:

Yup, that's the name. The two anchor tenants were K-Mart and a Dominion food store, also opened with a bank ( CIBC), hobby store, radio shack, and believe it or not a food court.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StNorberter View Post
Yup, that's the name. The two anchor tenants were K-Mart and a Dominion food store, also opened with a bank ( CIBC), hobby store, radio shack, and believe it or not a food court.
Yup I remember as a child being very intrigued by the Dominion with its conveyer belt system to send groceries to the front door for loading into your car.

And frequented the Malt Stop in the Food Court. When I was older and could drive, the Mini Golf (which took up half of the Dominion space - the other half was Arizona Fitness) and Arcade was our hang out.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 7:19 PM

Not sure if its been mentioned but The marketplace in St Norbert is closing next week and is already beginning demolition.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 7:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Yup I remember as a child being very intrigued by the Dominion with its conveyer belt system to send groceries to the front door for loading into your car.
Me too LOL

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Not sure if its been mentioned but The marketplace in St Norbert is closing next week and is already beginning demolition.
Read an article a week or so ago that they suffered extensive flood damage and were weighing their options.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Read an article a week or so ago that they suffered extensive flood damage and were weighing their options.
Through the course of my job I spoke to the manager who said its being completely demo'ed and they "hope" it gets re-built but that it was up to head office.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Through the course of my job I spoke to the manager who said its being completely demo'ed and they "hope" it gets re-built but that it was up to head office.
Isn't there an equation that governs this?

'Hope for rebuild' + 'Winnipeg' = 'Gravel surface parking lot'

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 8:32 PM

^ Judging by recent trends in St. Norbert, the likelier outcome is another 6 storey condo building.

I'd be surprised if Co-op or whoever ran Marketplace didn't replace it with something else. The only alternatives I can think of around there is Sobeys, which is a decent hike up the road, with Superstore and Safeway past that. There's not much else in St. Norbert itself.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 8:50 PM

or u can just wait until the farmers market starts up again and ration until then! but ya, wouldn't be surprised if it ends up as a chateau-esque inspired condo building along the lines of the other buildings in the area that will prompt people traveling to town from the south to ask, "did we take a wrong turn and end up in france??"

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 9:24 PM
Speak the truth, then run

“An old market had stood there until I'd been about six years old, when the authorities had renamed it the Olde Market, destroyed it, and built a new market devoted to selling T-shirts and other objects with pictures of the old market. Meanwhile, the people who had operated the little stalls in the old market had gone elsewhere and set up a thing on the edge of town that was now called the New Market even though it was actually the old market.”
- Neal Stephenson, Anathem

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 4:38 PM

Important to note The Marketplace is Federated Co-op while the gas bars and the Safeway conversions are Red River Co-op. Two different organizations. From the media reports on the St Norbert Marketplace it really sounds like their plan is to re-open. That said they need to look at what insurance will cover and what the repair/rebuild cost are v their insurance payout. As it is a co-op it isn't as if the corporate owners are going to pocket the insurance check and invest it on their tropical vacation home.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Important to note The Marketplace is Federated Co-op while the gas bars and the Safeway conversions are Red River Co-op. Two different organizations. From the media reports on the St Norbert Marketplace it really sounds like their plan is to re-open. That said they need to look at what insurance will cover and what the repair/rebuild cost are v their insurance payout. As it is a co-op it isn't as if the corporate owners are going to pocket the insurance check and invest it on their tropical vacation home.
Given that there are two condo projects yet to break ground on Pembina, it's unlikely that another one will go up there. It's a busy store for its size and once the condo go up, there will be increased demand for a grocery store there.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 7:16 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordTR View Post
Second floor is leased apparently so I would bet if that’s true PCL is converting the main floor for second floor access.
PCL work is done - removing elements for exploratory work and upcoming interior demo. STVC is likely splitting space for 5 or 6 tenants.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan