HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #8241  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 7:20 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is online now
Think about Winnipeg.
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 20,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by morty View Post
Where was the now-closed Sev? I vaguely remember one near the university, but can't remember where it was.
Corner of Silverstone and Dalhousie IIRC.

Most Sevs have had pretty strong staying power... the only other ones I can think of that have closed are in high-crime areas, e.g. the one on Salter near Redwood, and the one on Sargent near Balmoral.

I'm somewhat surprised that one hasn't opened up downtown. I always thought one would do well around Graham. At least we have our trusty old Mac's...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8242  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 12:10 AM
cllew cllew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Corner of Silverstone and Dalhousie IIRC.

Most Sevs have had pretty strong staying power... the only other ones I can think of that have closed are in high-crime areas, e.g. the one on Salter near Redwood, and the one on Sargent near Balmoral.

I'm somewhat surprised that one hasn't opened up downtown. I always thought one would do well around Graham. At least we have our trusty old Mac's...
One also closed in "old" Transcona in the 1300 block of Day Street (by Newman) and became an independent small store.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8243  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 12:14 AM
AccordTR AccordTR is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Circle-K stll has it's headquarters listed as being in El Paso, Texas, United States.
Circle K is 100% controlled by a Canadian company. A very big and successful Canadian company.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alim...on_Couche-Tard
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8244  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 3:29 PM
CoryB CoryB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Circle-K stll has it's headquarters listed as being in El Paso, Texas, United States.
Circle K is basically the brand all Couche-Tard banners are being converted to outside of Quebec where Couche-Tard will still be used. The rational in the letter K inside the circle (the word circle isn't used in the brand) is very language neutral and is an excellent global brand. Mac's, Wink, et all are very language specific and in many cases highly regionalized.

In terms of the Mac's stores today very little you know will change other than the sign out front as they have been running the Couche-Tard format for many, many years now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8245  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 5:00 PM
CoryB CoryB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,246
Can't say it is surprising -- Sears (USA) filed for bankruptcy today.

Also La Senza will be closing all stores after the holiday season. It is a planned closure which basically moves all its operations under their better known Victoria Secret banner. They have several locations in Winnipeg which will be impacted.

And Toys R Us has sprung back to life outside Canada under the new name Geoffrey's Toy Box. The plan is for pop up style store in store locations for the holiday season where the host store does not normally sell toys.

--

Guess with the floor being cleared some I need a new bankruptcy watch target. Topping my short list is EB Games and their parent Gamestop. Quarter after quarter of losses is not the way to keep your business a going concern. The question is how long will the bleeding keep going.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8246  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 5:07 PM
vjose32 vjose32 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 558
That’s a bit surprising given how big the gaming market is. Perhaps they need to make some changes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8247  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 6:27 PM
ywgwalk ywgwalk is offline
Formerly rypinion
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Exchange District, Winnipeg
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjose32 View Post
That’s a bit surprising given how big the gaming market is. Perhaps they need to make some changes.
Who buys games in physical packages nowadays?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8248  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 8:14 PM
CoryB CoryB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,246
^^ Exactly. A lot of the gaming market has shifted to digital purchases, think Blockbuster v Netflix. The other issue Gamestop/EB Games runs into is the pre-order market for new games is hype competitive cutting margins to razor thin levels.

It is a fairly open "secret" that most of the revenue EB Games is making is from "pre-owned" games.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8249  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 8:55 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 7,720
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ores-1.4865280

6 stores will open on 1st day of legal weed in Manitoba

In Winnipeg, five stores will be open:
•Delta 9 Cannabis Store, Unit 1 - 827 Dakota St.
•Hiku/Tokyo Smoke, 55B Goulet St.
•Meta Cannabis Supply Co./National Access Cannabis, Unit 23 - 584 Pembina Highway.
•Tweed/Canopy, 120 Osborne St.
•Tweed/Canopy, 1592 Regent Avenue

A sixth store will open in Dauphin, operated by Tweed/Canopy. That store will be located at 1450 Main St. S.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8250  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 8:59 PM
morty morty is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post

Guess with the floor being cleared some I need a new bankruptcy watch target. Topping my short list is EB Games and their parent Gamestop. Quarter after quarter of losses is not the way to keep your business a going concern. The question is how long will the bleeding keep going.
They've always seemed fairly overbuilt on locations here in Winnipeg. Like the one in Polo Park and the one on Empress and Ellice. I imagine they could probably consolidate that to one location.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8251  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 8:59 PM
cheswick's Avatar
cheswick cheswick is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Kildonan
Posts: 1,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by morty View Post
They've always seemed fairly overbuilt on locations here in Winnipeg. Like the one in Polo Park and the one on Empress and Ellice. I imagine they could probably consolidate that to one location.
Kildonan Place and one across the street.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8252  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 1:41 PM
Authentic_City's Avatar
Authentic_City Authentic_City is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,265
Are there any plans in the works for a downtown store? Also the north and west sides of the city seem under served?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ores-1.4865280

6 stores will open on 1st day of legal weed in Manitoba

In Winnipeg, five stores will be open:
•Delta 9 Cannabis Store, Unit 1 - 827 Dakota St.
•Hiku/Tokyo Smoke, 55B Goulet St.
•Meta Cannabis Supply Co./National Access Cannabis, Unit 23 - 584 Pembina Highway.
•Tweed/Canopy, 120 Osborne St.
•Tweed/Canopy, 1592 Regent Avenue

A sixth store will open in Dauphin, operated by Tweed/Canopy. That store will be located at 1450 Main St. S.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8253  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 1:58 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is online now
Think about Winnipeg.
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 20,823
^ National Access Cannabis has that storefront thing of theirs on Edmonton just north of Broadway... why isn't that turning into a retail location?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8254  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 2:04 PM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,724
A freakin flagship store.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8255  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 4:30 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 7,720
There will be more stores. Those are just the ones approved to open. I'm not sure where and when, but there should be lots open over the next couple years.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8256  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 4:36 PM
BuildUpWpg BuildUpWpg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
There will be more stores. Those are just the ones approved to open. I'm not sure where and when, but there should be lots open over the next couple years.
There's a storefront on Portage and Fort that has been temporarily labeled "www.cannibisjar.com" for months now but no sign of construction inside. The website doesn't work.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8257  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 4:38 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 7,720
The province wants 90% of people to have access to cannabis within a 30 minute drive. So there will be a large numbers of stores spread throughout the province. Likely a large number of stores in the cities.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8258  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 5:11 PM
vjose32 vjose32 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by ywgwalk View Post
Who buys games in physical packages nowadays?
People who can’t afford $100 a month internet or storage devices. I buy many games on disc, that way if anything happens to my system I don’t have to redownload everything.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8259  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 5:14 PM
vjose32 vjose32 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Are there any plans in the works for a downtown store? Also the north and west sides of the city seem under served?
I would have thought 6 just for the north end lol
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8260  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 6:55 PM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Are there any plans in the works for a downtown store? Also the north and west sides of the city seem under served?
Tokyo Smoke, Tweed, and Delta 9 all have confirmed Exchange District locations. Tokyo Smoke's is going in the former Kit + Ace spot. I did know Tweed's location but now I forget.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:43 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.