HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 7:20 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morty View Post
Where was the now-closed Sev? I vaguely remember one near the university, but can't remember where it was.
Corner of Silverstone and Dalhousie IIRC.

Most Sevs have had pretty strong staying power... the only other ones I can think of that have closed are in high-crime areas, e.g. the one on Salter near Redwood, and the one on Sargent near Balmoral.

I'm somewhat surprised that one hasn't opened up downtown. I always thought one would do well around Graham. At least we have our trusty old Mac's...

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Corner of Silverstone and Dalhousie IIRC.

Most Sevs have had pretty strong staying power... the only other ones I can think of that have closed are in high-crime areas, e.g. the one on Salter near Redwood, and the one on Sargent near Balmoral.

I'm somewhat surprised that one hasn't opened up downtown. I always thought one would do well around Graham. At least we have our trusty old Mac's...
One also closed in "old" Transcona in the 1300 block of Day Street (by Newman) and became an independent small store.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Circle-K stll has it's headquarters listed as being in El Paso, Texas, United States.
Circle K is 100% controlled by a Canadian company. A very big and successful Canadian company.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alim...on_Couche-Tard

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Circle-K stll has it's headquarters listed as being in El Paso, Texas, United States.
Circle K is basically the brand all Couche-Tard banners are being converted to outside of Quebec where Couche-Tard will still be used. The rational in the letter K inside the circle (the word circle isn't used in the brand) is very language neutral and is an excellent global brand. Mac's, Wink, et all are very language specific and in many cases highly regionalized.

In terms of the Mac's stores today very little you know will change other than the sign out front as they have been running the Couche-Tard format for many, many years now.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 5:00 PM

Can't say it is surprising -- Sears (USA) filed for bankruptcy today.

Also La Senza will be closing all stores after the holiday season. It is a planned closure which basically moves all its operations under their better known Victoria Secret banner. They have several locations in Winnipeg which will be impacted.

And Toys R Us has sprung back to life outside Canada under the new name Geoffrey's Toy Box. The plan is for pop up style store in store locations for the holiday season where the host store does not normally sell toys.

--

Guess with the floor being cleared some I need a new bankruptcy watch target. Topping my short list is EB Games and their parent Gamestop. Quarter after quarter of losses is not the way to keep your business a going concern. The question is how long will the bleeding keep going.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 5:07 PM

That’s a bit surprising given how big the gaming market is. Perhaps they need to make some changes.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 6:27 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjose32 View Post
That’s a bit surprising given how big the gaming market is. Perhaps they need to make some changes.
Who buys games in physical packages nowadays?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 8:14 PM

^^ Exactly. A lot of the gaming market has shifted to digital purchases, think Blockbuster v Netflix. The other issue Gamestop/EB Games runs into is the pre-order market for new games is hype competitive cutting margins to razor thin levels.

It is a fairly open "secret" that most of the revenue EB Games is making is from "pre-owned" games.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 8:55 PM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ores-1.4865280

6 stores will open on 1st day of legal weed in Manitoba

In Winnipeg, five stores will be open:
•Delta 9 Cannabis Store, Unit 1 - 827 Dakota St.
•Hiku/Tokyo Smoke, 55B Goulet St.
•Meta Cannabis Supply Co./National Access Cannabis, Unit 23 - 584 Pembina Highway.
•Tweed/Canopy, 120 Osborne St.
•Tweed/Canopy, 1592 Regent Avenue

A sixth store will open in Dauphin, operated by Tweed/Canopy. That store will be located at 1450 Main St. S.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post

Guess with the floor being cleared some I need a new bankruptcy watch target. Topping my short list is EB Games and their parent Gamestop. Quarter after quarter of losses is not the way to keep your business a going concern. The question is how long will the bleeding keep going.
They've always seemed fairly overbuilt on locations here in Winnipeg. Like the one in Polo Park and the one on Empress and Ellice. I imagine they could probably consolidate that to one location.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morty View Post
They've always seemed fairly overbuilt on locations here in Winnipeg. Like the one in Polo Park and the one on Empress and Ellice. I imagine they could probably consolidate that to one location.
Kildonan Place and one across the street.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 1:41 PM

Are there any plans in the works for a downtown store? Also the north and west sides of the city seem under served?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ores-1.4865280

6 stores will open on 1st day of legal weed in Manitoba

In Winnipeg, five stores will be open:
•Delta 9 Cannabis Store, Unit 1 - 827 Dakota St.
•Hiku/Tokyo Smoke, 55B Goulet St.
•Meta Cannabis Supply Co./National Access Cannabis, Unit 23 - 584 Pembina Highway.
•Tweed/Canopy, 120 Osborne St.
•Tweed/Canopy, 1592 Regent Avenue

A sixth store will open in Dauphin, operated by Tweed/Canopy. That store will be located at 1450 Main St. S.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 1:58 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ National Access Cannabis has that storefront thing of theirs on Edmonton just north of Broadway... why isn't that turning into a retail location?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 2:04 PM

A freakin flagship store.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 4:30 PM

There will be more stores. Those are just the ones approved to open. I'm not sure where and when, but there should be lots open over the next couple years.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
There will be more stores. Those are just the ones approved to open. I'm not sure where and when, but there should be lots open over the next couple years.
There's a storefront on Portage and Fort that has been temporarily labeled "www.cannibisjar.com" for months now but no sign of construction inside. The website doesn't work.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 4:38 PM

The province wants 90% of people to have access to cannabis within a 30 minute drive. So there will be a large numbers of stores spread throughout the province. Likely a large number of stores in the cities.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywgwalk View Post
Who buys games in physical packages nowadays?
People who can’t afford $100 a month internet or storage devices. I buy many games on disc, that way if anything happens to my system I don’t have to redownload everything.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Are there any plans in the works for a downtown store? Also the north and west sides of the city seem under served?
I would have thought 6 just for the north end lol

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Tokyo Smoke, Tweed, and Delta 9 all have confirmed Exchange District locations. Tokyo Smoke's is going in the former Kit + Ace spot. I did know Tweed's location but now I forget.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan