HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #8621  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 2:35 AM
skphc08's Avatar
skphc08 skphc08 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: South Central
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
I'm so happy it's for public transit. We spend far too much time and money on promoting a car oriented lifestyle.

We need to push our express routes to every 15 minutes instead of every 30 minutes. Dedicated lanes and priority signalling. More cross town routes. We desperately need better transit.
They've posted 3% ridership increases last year and this year and project the same for next year. But they could have higher sustained growth in ridership with the changes you propose.
__________________
Everything is real on this concrete and steel.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8622  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 3:52 AM
Golks Golks is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Regina, SK
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Any idea what kind of projects we will see in Regina with the recent announcement of federal infrastructure funding for Saskatchewan? Regina and area should be getting around $200M over 12 years if its shared proportionally, and that amount is matched by the province.

I would like to see:
  • Improvements made to existing recreational facilities.
  • A new indoor water park.
  • Upgrades to Wascana Park.
  • Transit improvements (airport stop, more express routes).
  • Landfill methane recovery.
  • Some wind and solar energy projects.
  • Interchanges at Pasqua St. and Ring Rd, and Sask Dr. and Lewvan Dr.
  • Improvements to Ring Rd interchanges at Winnipeg St., Arcola Dr. and Wascana Parkway.
  • Widening of Arcola/Sask Dr. between Broad St. and Victoria Ave.

I doubt any money will be spent on the CP and CN crossings over Ring Rd, and not sure it should be unless those companies plan to contribute.
Already being done:

https://leaderpost.com/news/local-ne...ing-1000-homes
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8623  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 1:33 PM
Festivus Festivus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 752
So I noticed yesterday that crews were closing off the 2nd turning lane into the airport on northbound Lewvan, putting in a permanent concrete curb. When they redid the intersection 1-2 years ago they put in a second turning lane, and now they are removing it (without it ever having been used). Any reason for this? Seems like a waste of money.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8624  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 4:16 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
So I noticed yesterday that crews were closing off the 2nd turning lane into the airport on northbound Lewvan, putting in a permanent concrete curb. When they redid the intersection 1-2 years ago they put in a second turning lane, and now they are removing it (without it ever having been used). Any reason for this? Seems like a waste of money.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8625  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 6:17 PM
pappcam pappcam is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Regina
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Funny but that bottom part could have been cropped out.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8626  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 7:46 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,125
There have been many complaints about the condition downtown sidewalks on this forum. The cost of replacing sidewalks in this town has skyrocketed, which is likely the main reason for the lack of attention. Over the last few weeks, the City has been remediating the sidewalks on 12th between Broad and Scarth. From what I can see, they are chipping out damaged areas and then completely resurfacing the sidewalks and curbs.

I would assume this is a pilot project. How many years will the new surface last?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8627  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 8:30 PM
one_brick_at_a_time's Avatar
one_brick_at_a_time one_brick_at_a_time is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Regina/Toronto
Posts: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
There have been many complaints about the condition downtown sidewalks on this forum. The cost of replacing sidewalks in this town has skyrocketed, which is likely the main reason for the lack of attention. Over the last few weeks, the City has been remediating the sidewalks on 12th between Broad and Scarth. From what I can see, they are chipping out damaged areas and then completely resurfacing the sidewalks and curbs.

I would assume this is a pilot project. How many years will the new surface last?
Why has it skyrocketed?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8628  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 8:54 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Why has it skyrocketed?
IMO:
  • cost run-ups in the boom years that have not reversed;
  • lack of competition in ready mix concrete (for example Lafarge now owns Cindercrete);
  • lack of competition among contractors;
  • Labour cost increases for City crews (mostly pension and benefit costs);
  • rebar price increases;
5 years ago the City claimed the cost was $500/metre, including demo of the old sidewalk.

Last edited by Stormer; Oct 17, 2018 at 9:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8629  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 12:54 AM
BrutallyDishonest2 BrutallyDishonest2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
So I noticed yesterday that crews were closing off the 2nd turning lane into the airport on northbound Lewvan, putting in a permanent concrete curb. When they redid the intersection 1-2 years ago they put in a second turning lane, and now they are removing it (without it ever having been used). Any reason for this? Seems like a waste of money.
Blame the airport authority. They sabotaged the project and refused to fund widening the bridge over the storm channel.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8630  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 1:57 AM
one_brick_at_a_time's Avatar
one_brick_at_a_time one_brick_at_a_time is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Regina/Toronto
Posts: 1,052
Santa Claus Parade is cancelled this year. Looks like Strathallen is doing some penny pinching.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8631  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 5:38 AM
skphc08's Avatar
skphc08 skphc08 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: South Central
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
Blame the airport authority. They sabotaged the project and refused to fund widening the bridge over the storm channel.
Pedestrian signals are installed but not turned to a functional orientation since they re-did that intersection.

The councillor for the ward, Andrew Steven, predicted there would be a delay due to a change in the management. I think we can now say this is more than a simple delay.
__________________
Everything is real on this concrete and steel.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8632  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 12:37 AM
Draftsman Draftsman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Regina SK
Posts: 471
New Brandt office with rendering and site plan

From CBC News....

Office with a view: Space in controversial 4-storey building at Wascana up for lease

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...ease-1.4871271
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8633  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 4:50 AM
Udon'tknow's Avatar
Udon'tknow Udon'tknow is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
From CBC News....

Office with a view: Space in controversial 4-storey building at Wascana up for lease

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...ease-1.4871271
Does anyone know when construction starts? I assume if they are leasing in Spring of 2020 it will be starting soon as that is only a year and a half away.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8634  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 7:12 AM
djforsberg's Avatar
djforsberg djforsberg is offline
Saskatchewan pride
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Posts: 1,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Udon'tknow View Post
Does anyone know when construction starts? I assume if they are leasing in Spring of 2020 it will be starting soon as that is only a year and a half away.

It would be a disgrace if this was built. Doesn’t matter his nice it is, it doesn’t belong in Wascana Park.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8635  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 2:36 PM
jigglysquishy's Avatar
jigglysquishy jigglysquishy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 1,654
Absolutely terrible news. The PCC needs to be completely reworked. There should be no private development in the park.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8636  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 3:18 PM
pappcam pappcam is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Regina
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
It would be a disgrace if this was built. Doesn’t matter his nice it is, it doesn’t belong in Wascana Park.
Isn't this right next to the CBC building?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8637  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 6:07 PM
djforsberg's Avatar
djforsberg djforsberg is offline
Saskatchewan pride
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Posts: 1,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
Isn't this right next to the CBC building?
Yes. Your point? CBC is a Crown corporation remember. Perfectly suitable for the park.

Last edited by djforsberg; Oct 20, 2018 at 6:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8638  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 11:56 PM
Nathan's Avatar
Nathan Nathan is offline
Hmm....
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Regina
Posts: 3,356
The fact that their promotion is the following only makes it worse:

Quote:
The Brandt-CNIB building will be a “one-of-a-kind” opportunity for commerce to move into Wascana Park, according to an advertisement pitching the controversial project to prospective tenants.

Leader Post Article
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8639  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 2:29 PM
Missinglink Missinglink is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: No where near you
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Yes. Your point? CBC is a Crown corporation remember. Perfectly suitable for the park.
What does being a Crown corp have to do with being suitable to being in the park. Its should have never been allowed. If it was up to me it would be leveled and returned to green space.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8640  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 2:40 PM
djforsberg's Avatar
djforsberg djforsberg is offline
Saskatchewan pride
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Posts: 1,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missinglink View Post
What does being a Crown corp have to do with being suitable to being in the park. Its should have never been allowed. If it was up to me it would be leveled and returned to green space.
It’s a public park that already has a lot of provincial government offices. The point is it’s a not-for-profit and it’s a business that’s for the benefit of all. And you want to level it? Let me guess: you think the CBC is nothing but a liberal mouthpiece. If that’s the case, we can discuss that extremely inaccurate and uninformed opinion but this isn’t the place to do it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:45 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.