HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 12:03 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Federal Government & Politics

Hey guys, I thought I would start a new thread to replace an old series of threads that I will admit did not start off at a great place and was intentionally aggressive. Such threads inevitably gets stuff thrown in people's eyes and the person doesn't understand why things get thrown in their eyes. If that has happened to you, it is perhaps because you threw stuff into others eyes and they are returning fire. We often have blind spots that we can't deal with and that can make a place too belligerent to have a conversation where we actually debate policy.

Rules

Number 1) Respect each other's space. Don't hurl insults at each other and don't try to be sly about it.

Number 2) Let's not have this thread be a place to throw meme images.

Number 3) If the policy concerns construction (ships, hospitals, roads, courthouses), it probably deserves its own thread. This thread is for discussing how decisions are made.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 12:11 AM

Great initiative, thank you.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 2:50 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

No meme images perhaps, but I hope that political cartoons will be allowed. Sometimes a well crafted political cartoon is worth 10,000 words.......

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 3:01 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

No meme images? NOooooo, say it ain't so!!!

Tosin007: "I know I need to get laid"
WhipperSnapper: "My seriousness is simply a veil hiding a true comedic genius."
OutOfTowner: "I live in Villeray - a block from Marché Jean Talon. And my choice of hairstyle is none of your business."

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
No meme images perhaps, but I hope that political cartoons will be allowed. Sometimes a well crafted political cartoon is worth 10,000 words.......
This thread would be worthless without the Michael de Adder cartoons you occasionally share, so, yeah, seconded.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 9:49 PM

Apparently the carbon tax announcement is coming tomorrow.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 1:51 AM

Probably a direct rebate to provincial residents done through the income tax system. Betcha they set it up so the payments start right before the election like what Harper did with the child benefits.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
Probably a direct rebate to provincial residents done through the income tax system. Betcha they set it up so the payments start right before the election like what Harper did with the child benefits.
G&M reports it will be rebate cheques, with the first cheques going out next summer.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 2:25 AM

In Ontario, starting with today's local elections, Ontario cities can choose to have ranked ballots instead of FPTP if they want. London went ahead and did this, and Kingston and Cambridge instead had referenda on whether or not to do this for 2022.

London thus just concluded the first non-FPTP election in modern Canadian history. In Kingston, 62% voted Yes to ranked ballots--the first time an electoral reform referendum has passed in Canada--so they will be switching for 2022. In Cambridge the results of their referendum are not yet known.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 12:21 PM
commissar of cannabis

hmmm... wonder why the US trade negotiations haven't been going well...

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...evices-next-us

Quote:
“Deep sea observation networks are highly sensitive, and closely related to national security,” he said. “Countries don’t open them up to third parties unless there is a high level of trust and confidence.”

The decision to give China such access could have only come from highest corridors of power on both sides, he said.

“Such collaboration is very unusual. The implications go far beyond science, [so] it could have only happened with a nod from the top on both sides.”

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 2:32 PM

I'm going to reiterate that under no circumstance should we EVER allow non allied nations' companies have any stake in any industry in Canada that could in any way be attributed as something related to national security. It deeply worries me, because I have friends whose families recently emigrated from China to avoid the oppressive government, we should not allow China a foothold in Canada.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 3:17 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Details were released today of our Federally-approved "made in Newfoundland" carbon pricing plan.

Some of the key elements and differences from the Federal generic plan:

- home heating fuels exempt.
- 4 cents of provincial gas tax being eliminated, replaced by 4.42-cent Federal carbon tax.
- 5 cents of provincial diesel tax being eliminated, replaced by 5.37-cent Federal diesel tax.
- municipal governments, Marine Atlantic, jet fuel, and diesel generators all exempt.
- offshore and onshore industries will get greenhouse gas reduction targets. Exemptions from carbon tax for agriculture, fishing, forestry, offshore and mineral exploration, and methane venting in the oil and gas sector.
- 98% renewable energy in the province once Muskrat Falls is complete.
- Federal funding for green jobs development in the province.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Oct 23, 2018 at 4:01 PM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333609543 View Post
I'm going to reiterate that under no circumstance should we EVER allow non allied nations' companies have any stake in any industry in Canada that could in any way be attributed as something related to national security. It deeply worries me, because I have friends whose families recently emigrated from China to avoid the oppressive government, we should not allow China a foothold in Canada.
we should be moving much closer to china, especially with how things are going in facist USA. china is the future.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
we should be moving much closer to china, especially with how things are going in facist USA. china is the future.
Sounds like we'd be in for a crummy ride either way.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 7:52 PM

Quote:
If you think that the USA is less faschist than China, then you have your head way too far up your ass.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Awesome! An authoritarian state that spies on it's own citizens and locks them up in re-education camps! Where do we sign up!?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
If you think that the USA is less faschist than China, then you have your head way too far up your ass.
Do you mean more?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 8:46 PM
Haru Urara

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
Number 1) Respect each other's space. Don't hurl insults at each other and don't try to be sly about it.

There's a reason why the old thread was locked. Civility. Thanks.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 9:05 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Tosin007: "I know I need to get laid"
WhipperSnapper: "My seriousness is simply a veil hiding a true comedic genius."
OutOfTowner: "I live in Villeray - a block from Marché Jean Talon. And my choice of hairstyle is none of your business."

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 9:11 PM

The Chinaphiles now seem a lot like the Sovietphiles and Mussolini/Hitler admiers in the 30s. Who cares about the atrocities, look at the on-time trains and the shiny new infrastructure.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada