HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 7:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
a good shakeup of that Board is in order, and glad to see it happening.
Amen, how a 6-7 story doesn't fit in along Tache is nuts, as far as I'm concerned the new condo's on the east side of Tache should have all been in the 10-20 story range, wasted opportunity to bring more density and people to live in the area.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Amen, how a 6-7 story doesn't fit in along Tache is nuts, as far as I'm concerned the new condo's on the east side of Tache should have all been in the 10-20 story range, wasted opportunity to bring more density and people to live in the area.
I agree. with the exception of the newest building, they should have been built to a higher standard as well. and people wonder why Provencher blvd struggles so much..

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Lorette wishes they'd move in too. Increase the tax base haha
Yes we do! Lot's of condos for sale in town!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 9:46 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
Yes we do! Lot's of condos for sale in town!
Im not sure how many are still on the market. I was under the impression that most units have been sold. That being said I'd image that development will continue. I'm thinking in 10 years all the land behind the high school and towards the golf course will be built out.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
slightly accurate, but I believe very few are 'wealthy'. many are folks who have lived in the same house/neighbourhood their entire lives and don't like the idea of change.
Need I remind you of the well over a dozen detached houses that were just recently built on the neighboring residential lot. A lot that could have been used for another high end development, but instead further reinforces the area's butter-thin population density.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 9:53 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolselyMan View Post
Need I remind you of the well over a dozen detached houses that were just recently built on the neighboring residential lot. A lot that could have been used for another high end development, but instead further reinforces the area's butter-thin population density.
I think that all those detached homes represent a huge missed opportunity

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Especially when you consider that almost the entirety of the area consists of green space. One of the best places to locate high density residential projects is right next to large park areas as that provides the residents with a collective 'back yard' of their own that they wouldn't otherwise get in the middle of a concrete jungle. In other words, there's a reason why central park is located right in the middle of downtown Manhattan, rather than in some quiet suburban bedroom community in long island. It's how downtown Vancouver can get away with being both one the densest, yet also one of the most livable neighborhoods in the country (Stanley Park). But instead we pull out the most uncreative card in the deck and just throw some suburban houses at the area, which can only support a population of less than 50 people to enjoy the lushness of the neighborhood.

Anyhow, it's not that big of a deal to me since we have 825 Tache going up as well as a really promising extra lot right beside it, currently home to nothing but a bunch of abandoned industrial sites. There's still plenty of potential for high density developments in the area, so no big harm done.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 10:55 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Why? People prefer detached homes over apertments.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Exactly. And we've just missed a massive opportunity to make apartments nearly as appealing.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Especially when you consider that almost the entirety of the area consists of green space. One of the best places to locate high density residential projects is right next to large park areas as that provides the residents with a collective 'back yard' of their own that they wouldn't otherwise get in the middle of a concrete jungle. In other words, there's a reason why central park is located right in the middle of downtown Manhattan, rather than in some quiet suburban bedroom community in long island. It's how downtown Vancouver can get away with being both one the densest, yet also one of the most livable neighborhoods in the country (Stanley Park). But instead we pull out the most uncreative card in the deck and just throw some suburban houses at the area, which can only support a population of less than 50 people to enjoy the lushness of the neighborhood.

Anyhow, it's not that big of a deal to me since we have 825 Tache going up as well as a really promising extra lot right beside it, currently home to nothing but a bunch of abandoned industrial sites. There's still plenty of potential for high density developments in the area, so no big harm done.
Last summer one of the bike jams ended with a pop-up party in Lagimodiere-Gaboury Park. A spontaneous outdoor dance party in a park nestled between rail lines is the kind of thing that happens all the time in Berlin, and it was pretty reassuring to see that our city can sometimes pull off something similar. If the neighborhood in question were densely populated, I have little doubt that sort of thing would happen often.

We have a lot of nice green space in this city. Unfortunately, it mostly goes unused because it isn't close to enough people interested in using it. The worst outcome of this kind of land use is park space that becomes sketchy and dangerous .

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 3:37 AM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Exactly. And we've just missed a massive opportunity to make apartments nearly as appealing.
I dunno. It's nice to have a mix of housing types in the same neighbourhood.

Building new SFH's that close to downtown is awesome IMO.

Assuming your user name is accurate, we both live in Wolesley which is a fine example of a successful neighbourhood of everything from a rooming house to an apartment up to million dollar SFHs.

Back to those houses in question in St. Boniface - I would have seriously considered them had they been available when we were looking for our current house. Although the priced are a tad high.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 4:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Fair enough but that wasn't the right area to allow single family housing.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 1:16 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Sure it is. It is the perfect area. A mix of SFH and apartments gives a good mix of citizens.

Most people just won't live in apartments, most of us among them.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Sure it is. It is the perfect area. A mix of SFH and apartments gives a good mix of citizens.

Most people just won't live in apartments, most of us among them.
The detached homes in Pointe Hebert are nice, but they're only there as a sop to the residents association. The value of the land was more than high enough to justify multifamily.

I will say though, even though it could have been better, the end result is not bad.. a nice little mix of SFHs and apartments/condos will make for a decent neighbourhood, provided that local organizers don't obstruct all the multifamily projects coming down the pike.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 5:02 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The detached homes in Pointe Hebert are nice, but they're only there as a sop to the residents association. The value of the land was more than high enough to justify multifamily.

I will say though, even though it could have been better, the end result is not bad.. a nice little mix of SFHs and apartments/condos will make for a decent neighbourhood, provided that local organizers don't obstruct all the multifamily projects coming down the pike.

I don't disagree that sfhs are ok in the area however the area they ended up in could have been better served as high density. Other parts of Pointe hebert would be better for those. I think anything immediately facing st josepH taché and the one that connects them closest to the river should be high density multi family in the 5 to 10 floor range. It would make lots of sense considering the future RT corridor.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 5:15 PM

As I've said before, it really isn't that big of a deal. A wide variety of housing options has nothing but benefits to any neighborhood it's implemented in. I guess it's really just the philosophy and mindset behind these single family zoning decisions that ticks me off.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Im not sure how many are still on the market. I was under the impression that most units have been sold. That being said I'd image that development will continue. I'm thinking in 10 years all the land behind the high school and towards the golf course will be built out.
Looks like only 6 or 7 condos on the market right now. 31 listings in town altogether. I'm southeast of town.

I think the land behind the Coop and High School is slated to start development this year. Attractive area to live only half an hour from downtown Winnipeg. 15 or 20 minutes to shopping in Southdale. If the new sportsplex gets built it will only add to the appeal of the area.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 9:53 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
Looks like only 6 or 7 condos on the market right now. 31 listings in town altogether. I'm southeast of town.

I think the land behind the Coop and High School is slated to start development this year. Attractive area to live only half an hour from downtown Winnipeg. 15 or 20 minutes to shopping in Southdale. If the new sportsplex gets built it will only add to the appeal of the area.
Sportsplex is supposed to go ahead. I believe the funding was already committed by the previous provincial government. Towns gonna be awfully busy once that co-op development comes on line.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Sportsplex is supposed to go ahead. I believe the funding was already committed by the previous provincial government. Towns gonna be awfully busy once that co-op development comes on line.
Still working on fundraising on the local end. Went to a fundraiser at the Lorette Bar last Friday. Sold out 165 tickets. Very good investment for the community IMHO.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 1:18 AM

Quote:
I know this has been mentioned before, but the developer had initially planned to build higher density multi-family in Pointe Hebert. Unfortunately, the underground infrastructure couldn't handle that level of density, and without investment in water and sewer upgrades from the City's end, the project died.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan