HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 8:47 PM

Dare we use our water?

We have seen so many of manufacturers leave the country due to Mexico. So much of what we export to the US can be filled by US suppliers or from the developing world but there is one thing that no other country on the planet has that Canada has in such abundance..........fresh water.

Water could become 21st century commodity that oil was to the 20th. The US West is drying up fast effecting their huge crop revenues and everyone's quality of life. Unlike oil, coal, wood, concrete, or even electric, the world will always need fresh water. All the technological advances in the world will never change that. In short, water could be Canada's goldmine.

Every province and territory has vast amounts of fresh water that 99% of the world could only dream about. It would be a boom to every province so is it time we started to discuss what was always a taboo..........is it time we started to export our fresh water?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 9:26 PM

we can't sell our water, the water level of the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence River must remain as high as possible.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
All the technological advances in the world will never change that.
Surely you're joking?

A bit of Sunday evening reading for you:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desalination

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 9:32 PM

Explain how it would be a boom to every province?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 9:37 PM
Moran supreme

Canada's fresh water is already being exported and in many ways you wouldn't think of.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 9:41 PM

Hard to believe you are from BC and haven't heard about things like this:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...nues-1.3145929

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 9:54 PM
HVAC guru

No kidding we sold out our water a long time ago

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 10:09 PM
I am a typical

I love how people pick on bottled water during water scarcity discussions. What do you think golf courses spray all over their grass? Pepsi?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I love how people pick on bottled water during water scarcity discussions. What do you think golf courses spray all over their grass? Pepsi?
If I ever get around to building my own house I will likely include a water catchment and use rain water and melt water to water my lawn. I know the golf course I live off of now has an attachment to a fire hydrant in the spring supplying water.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 10:34 PM
I am a typical

Local courses here have tried retention ponds but they still use more water than Nestle. If Ontario's ground water pricing increase (a 13,433% increase, btw) applied to more than just bottled water companies, it would put golf courses and mines out of business and make constructing anything with concrete prohibitively expensive. And the regulation doesn't apply to companies that bottle filtered tap water, so it won't affect Dasani or Aquafina at all.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 11:32 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
We have seen so many of manufacturers leave the country due to Mexico. So much of what we export to the US can be filled by US suppliers or from the developing world but there is one thing that no other country on the planet has that Canada has in such abundance..........fresh water.

Water could become 21st century commodity that oil was to the 20th. The US West is drying up fast effecting their huge crop revenues and everyone's quality of life. Unlike oil, coal, wood, concrete, or even electric, the world will always need fresh water. All the technological advances in the world will never change that. In short, water could be Canada's goldmine.

Every province and territory has vast amounts of fresh water that 99% of the world could only dream about. It would be a boom to every province so is it time we started to discuss what was always a taboo..........is it time we started to export our fresh water?
The problem becomes moving it relative to the amount that is used. We move a lot of oil, but use comparatively little volume of oil compared to water.

Water is dense. The energy required to move any volume of it any significant distance (exporting it to areas that need it) soon outweighs the energy required to desalinize water closer to where you need it. This eliminates the possibility of exporting it to places like the Middle East and Australia, not to mention the logistical challenges of transporting it (the fleet of supertankers required would be enormous) and keeping it in reasonably acceptable condition to use (bacteria love to grow in it).

So, you're left with using it within North America. The areas in North America that suffer from water scarcity tend to be in the wrong watershed and over the continental divide - thus you're pumping water against gravity. I'm pretty sure that once you pencil out the numbers, the cost of moving it, not to mention the capital costs of constructing the system would make it uneconomic. Smaller scale systems work (such as California's) because the water source is closer to the point of use and uses gravity to help move it in the direction you want (the cities on the coast of California are at sea level - where the water is headed anyway).

I'd imagine that more efficient use of water would prove to be the solution in those areas - for instance, the farms just outside of Phoenix, AZ use copious amounts of water to irrigate crops in the desert. If water cost rose to the point that farming was uneconomic, I'd imagine the land would be left to go fallow, freeing water resources.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 12:03 AM
I am the law!

wow.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 12:40 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

We have made everything possible into a commodity, so water is a natural fit.

It will be lucrative, especially with California expected to enter into a megadrought.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megadrought

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 1:42 AM
BANNED

No full stop

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 2:00 AM

The more sustainabe way to export water is through products that are very water-intensive to create, crops and livestock for example.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
Hard to believe you are from BC and haven't heard about things like this:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...nues-1.3145929
He's not from BC he's from Ontario.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
He's not from BC he's from Ontario.
He's been living in BC for decades, what's the number of generations required for someone to be truly "from BC" according to you?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 4:36 AM

I wonder what the effect of climate change will have on water in the coming decades. There is certainly no shortage where I live but I am one of the few people who lives within the Arctic watershed.

My big question is: In what way would we or could we export out water?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
My big question is: In what way would we or could we export out water?
Exporting vegetables. Lettuce, spinach, cucumber, and celery are all at least 95% water.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
He's been living in BC for decades, what's the number of generations required for someone to be truly "from BC" according to you?
When he stops hating it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada