HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Who are you voting for?
Brian Bowman 57 95.00%
Jenny Motkaluk 3 5.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #141  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 3:28 PM
Ando Ando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,072
it is too bad but candidates read the tea leaves and there's a pretty conservative streak running through the province right now. It would have to be a pretty credible candidate to knock off Mayor Dithers. Fortunately, it won't be Motkaluk so thank god for small blessings.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #142  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 3:29 PM
The Unknown Poster The Unknown Poster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 831
A terrible press release from a fringe candidate about Jenny's connections to Bayview. Its possible her desire for quality building is less about lining her brother's pockets (I assume he does pretty well already) and more because of knowledge that comes from her family's expertise in building.

But after multiple years of Corrupt Sammy, its always worth looking into.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #143  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 4:23 PM
windypeg windypeg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
On one hand it is kind of annoying that there wasn't a decent mayoral candidate representing the left. At least then there might have been some serious discussion and debate over civic issues instead of Jenny's nonstop ranting.

But on the other hand, a left wing candidate would have improved her odds of winning, so maybe it isn't all bad.
What exactly is "the left" in municipal politics though? Bowman is generally pro-transit and pro-bikes. He brought in a new development tax. He has made some effort to curtail the police budget. If you ask Jenny or the police association they'll basically tell you he's a socialist. He's been progressive when it comes to racial issues and the like. What more does the left want? Issues like poverty and healthcare are kinda beyond the scope of a mayor so I don't know what he's expected to do there.

It seems to me like the definition of a "left" candidate is strictly someone who is endorsed by the unions. The unions don't get to speak for everyone on the left, sorry.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #144  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 4:27 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Think about Winnipeg.
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 20,792
^ Bowman is pretty moderate by conservative standards, but at most you could say he is centrist. He is not a left-leaning mayor by any measure.

Although then again, the fact that he is so moderate probably diminished the incentive to run a left-wing challenger against him. I don't think the unions (obviously excluding the WPA/UFFW) take umbrage against him the way they did with Katz.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #145  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 5:24 PM
Ando Ando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,072
If you want an example, Glen Murray would be more of a left leaning candidate.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #146  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 5:29 PM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,809
I'd say Bowman is socially liberal and fiscally conservative. Not a bad place for a mayor to be IMO – I'd same I'm about the same.

WFP reported last week this is the first time the labour groups have not officially supported any candidate.

If there's one definitive thing I'd say about myself, it's that regardless if I agree with someone's political leanings, or ideas – if they seem like a lunatic, I'm not going to vote for them. That's not referring to anyone specific in this race either: I do think Jenny is a lunatic, but I also don't agree with her ideas and policies. Anyone endorsed by the police board is an immediate red flag for me.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #147  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 6:21 PM
pspeid's Avatar
pspeid pspeid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I'd say Bowman is socially liberal and fiscally conservative. Not a bad place for a mayor to be IMO – I'd same I'm about the same.
So an old-fashioned "progressive conservative"? Does anyone think Pallister is in the same mould? He also seems financially fairly conservative, yet still funds arts funding (at least when it shows some economic benefits).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #148  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 6:33 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Think about Winnipeg.
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 20,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
So an old-fashioned "progressive conservative"? Does anyone think Pallister is in the same mould? He also seems financially fairly conservative, yet still funds arts funding (at least when it shows some economic benefits).
15 years ago I would have thought Pallister was extreme... these days I look at what passes for mainstream conservatism south of the border and I practically consider Pallister an enlightened Platonic philosopher-king.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #149  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 7:25 PM
optimusREIM's Avatar
optimusREIM optimusREIM is offline
There is always a way
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
So an old-fashioned "progressive conservative"? Does anyone think Pallister is in the same mould? He also seems financially fairly conservative, yet still funds arts funding (at least when it shows some economic benefits).
Well he funds it when he doesn't really have a choice.
__________________
"Enlightened statesmen will not always be at the helm."

Federalist #10, James Madison
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #150  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2018, 11:59 PM
trebor204's Avatar
trebor204 trebor204 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 596
Winnipeg Mayoral Candidates - Full House Edition

https://twitter.com/Brent_Neill/stat...89391679307776
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #151  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 12:34 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Think about Winnipeg.
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 20,792
Brian Mayes came knocking on my door last night. I was a bit surprised given that he's basically running unopposed. But anyway, I condensed about three months of SSP election chatter into a 5 minute doorstep rant that I don't think he was expecting. I criticized his lack of leadership on council issues, including Portage and Main. I may or may not have called him a disappointment.

... however, in the end I told him I'd vote for him anyway. This is because the only alternative would be even worse than him. (I didn't say that last part, but I guess it was implied.)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #152  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 2:04 PM
BubberMiley BubberMiley is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
If you want an example, Glen Murray would be more of a left leaning candidate.
Because he froze property taxes for however many years, or because he is gay and believes in climate change?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #153  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 4:37 PM
Ando Ando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubberMiley View Post
Because he froze property taxes for however many years, or because he is gay and believes in climate change?
What does the fact he is gay have any part in this conversation? Frankly, I find your question distasteful.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #154  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 7:02 PM
cheswick's Avatar
cheswick cheswick is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Kildonan
Posts: 1,758
Apparently Motkaluk doesn't want to be known as a right wing candidate for some reason. I saw someone ask on her facebook page if she leaned right or left. A response was that she was funded by the right wing Manitoba conservative machine. She personally responded (well her page did anyway saying) "That's not true. I am funded by a very large number of private citizens. What you just wrote in your comment is illegal and you can't say it." Found that as a gross overreaction. Not sure why she wants to distance herself from the conservatives.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #155  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 7:46 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Think about Winnipeg.
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 20,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Apparently Motkaluk doesn't want to be known as a right wing candidate for some reason. I saw someone ask on her facebook page if she leaned right or left. A response was that she was funded by the right wing Manitoba conservative machine. She personally responded (well her page did anyway saying) "That's not true. I am funded by a very large number of private citizens. What you just wrote in your comment is illegal and you can't say it." Found that as a gross overreaction. Not sure why she wants to distance herself from the conservatives.
What a perfectly reasonable thing to say... a clear demonstration of the sound judgment she will rely on as mayor of Winnipeg
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #156  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 5:20 PM
vjose32 vjose32 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 558
Can’t support Bowman when none the councillors even support him. We need a change!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #157  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 6:00 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Think about Winnipeg.
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 20,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjose32 View Post
Can’t support Bowman when none the councillors even support him. We need a change!
You mean three non-EPC councillors trying to prevent another four years of being on the outside again?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #158  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 6:49 PM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
You mean three non-EPC councillors trying to prevent another four years of being on the outside again?
BINGO.

I've seen a LOT of Tim Diack signs in River Heights and Tuxedo. Curious which of the two perceived frontrunners he'd be "stealing" more votes from, as he doesn't seem to have made his policy ideas very clear yet.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #159  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 3:38 AM
rrskylar's Avatar
rrskylar rrskylar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: WINNIPEG
Posts: 5,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjose32 View Post
Can’t support Bowman when none the councillors even support him. We need a change!
Bowman is the only choice, no credible mayoral candidate stepped forward, who are you going to vote for angry Jenny, Ed the nut job, crazy Don the black guy, Tim dull Diack or one of the trio of dreamers whose chances are slim and none!?
__________________
I'm sober enough to know what I'm doing, and drunk enough to really enjoy it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #160  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 12:09 PM
wags_in_the_peg wags_in_the_peg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 1,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
BINGO.

I've seen a LOT of Tim Diack signs in River Heights and Tuxedo. Curious which of the two perceived frontrunners he'd be "stealing" more votes from, as he doesn't seem to have made his policy ideas very clear yet.
Diack is plugged into the car theft PREVENTION group in River Heights. they are so peeved at the nightly breakin their neighbourhood.
__________________
just an ordinary Prairie Boy who loves to be in the loop on what is going on
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:36 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.