HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 9, 2010, 1:47 AM
ハルウララ

Today, mill workers at the Pulp & Paper Mill at Reversing Falls were told to take a 10% pay-cut or the mill would be closed down, apparently during a visit from one of the Irvings.

They took the cut.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2010, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHickman View Post
Fair enough.

Also, there'll be a meeting in the coming days/weeks in regards to providing more retail in the North End, in particular the Crescent Valley area.

There's a reason why Zellers at Lansdowne shut down, and it wasn't for poor sales.
Greg, this sounds like good news. I know where the Zellers you are referring to is but I have never heard of the Crescent Valley area before. Is that the area around the Boulevard?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2010, 3:19 AM

I saw on the CBC news this evening that it is very likely that Porter will be expanding to Saint John and Fredericton in the new year.

YSJ could be quite busy in the new year with both Porter and East Coast airlines added to the schedule. Hard to believe there will be sufficient traffic increases to support that but hopefully the competition can drives prices down enough to start keeping some people from going to BGR.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwalbert View Post
I saw on the CBC news this evening that it is very likely that Porter will be expanding to Saint John and Fredericton in the new year.

YSJ could be quite busy in the new year with both Porter and East Coast airlines added to the schedule. Hard to believe there will be sufficient traffic increases to support that but hopefully the competition can drives prices down enough to start keeping some people from going to BGR.
Hurray! Competition! I'm sick of spending $500 to fly from Ottawa to SJ and back when I could go to England or the Caribbean for the same price!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2010, 7:56 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwalbert View Post
Greg, this sounds like good news. I know where the Zellers you are referring to is but I have never heard of the Crescent Valley area before. Is that the area around the Boulevard?
Mostly, yes. Crescent Valley is essentially the area encompassing the Boulevards, from Hazen White to Somerset. However, the Rifle Range along the length of Churchill Boulevard can be merged in with this area.

Obviously, though:

What kind of retail are we talking about?
How is this retail going to be profitable in a low-income (or no-income) neighbourhood?
Who would be willing to own and operate retail in this area?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Mostly, yes. Crescent Valley is essentially the area encompassing the Boulevards, from Hazen White to Somerset. However, the Rifle Range along the length of Churchill Boulevard can be merged in with this area.

Obviously, though:

What kind of retail are we talking about?
How is this retail going to be profitable in a low-income (or no-income) neighbourhood?
Who would be willing to own and operate retail in this area?
Greg, thanks for the explanation on the area. Whats interesting about any retail in that location is that it is also going to server Millidgeville, which is one of the wealthiest areas in the city. I know many times I have been frustrated to have to go either East or West to get anything beyond what the Superstore carries.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 2:48 AM

Confirmation about the NB Liquor Store going into the new West Side plaza.

http://www.plaza.ca/portfolio/New_Br...205%202010.pdf

Anyone hear anything about the Kent's going on the Irving Oil property at Catherwood?

Whatever happened to the supposed Motel 6 also at the intersection??

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 4:17 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw78 View Post
Confirmation about the NB Liquor Store going into the new West Side plaza.

Anyone hear anything about the Kent's going on the Irving Oil property at Catherwood?
Going to be a busy parking lot with that Liquor Store there.

Kent's on Catherwood is still in the process of getting cleared. Irving Oil and JDI have more pressing concerns right now, and opening up new ventures with Kent's may not be one of them.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 1:33 PM

Location: The greatest little city in the east -- Saint John, NB
Quote:
Today, mill workers at the Pulp & Paper Mill at Reversing Falls were told to take a 10% pay-cut or the mill would be closed down, apparently during a visit from one of the Irvings.

They took the cut.
Any confirmation of this? I would have figured this would be news worthy information but haven't heard a peep anywhere or from anyone else other than on this board. Of course, Irving directly or indirectly owns half the media outlets in this city so that could be why...

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 8:47 PM

The new collector road they are building in Grand Bay off Highway 7 is going to open a huge lot of land. They mayor has said there are already companies interested in building but hasn't said who. Just wondering if anyone might have any insider info??

As a native Grand Bay-Westfielder, everytime I go home, I'm still in awe at the lack of retail as the community is severely undserserved. This will opne things up for much needed opportunity. As my parents say, there's nowhere they can go to even get a decent meal in the community....

The old Dairy Queen lot is also some prime land I'm surprised to still see vacant...Beautiful view...

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 12:22 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by flwright View Post
Any confirmation of this? I would have figured this would be news worthy information but haven't heard a peep anywhere or from anyone else other than on this board. Of course, Irving directly or indirectly owns half the media outlets in this city so that could be why...
There's no way it would have been reported in any of the city's media. Any news of an Irving project being in the red would never be published.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 1:40 AM
ハルウララ

Double postin' like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHSJ
Mel Norton has been declared elected in today's by-election to fill a vacant common council seat in Ward 3. Rival Mark Leger gave Norton a good run as the early vote tallies came in but just moments ago - Elections NB declared Norton the "unofficial" winner with 516 votes to Leger's 392. Anne-Marie Mullin was in third at the time with 333 votes while hopefuls Jay Chang - John Campbell - and - Danny Robichaud failed to break the 300 vote barrier.
Norton wins Ward 3. Low-turnout, huh?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 10:17 PM

Coast Guard Deal Near?

The city is preparing for a final deal which will see Ottawa sell the Coast Guard site on Water Street to clear the way for more waterfront development. Just over 900-thousand dollars have been earmarked in next year's proposed capital budget for the purchase and to begin survey work and environmental assessments.

The five year capital budget projection also includes 2.8-million for repairs to the sea wall on the harbour side - and - another 400-thousand for a pedway from Market Square to the site.

The Hardman Group wants to develop more retail space - a hotel - and - condos in that area.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickMontreal View Post
Coast Guard Deal Near?
The city is preparing for a final deal which will see Ottawa sell the Coast Guard site on Water Street to clear the way for more waterfront development. Just over 900-thousand dollars have been earmarked in next year's proposed capital budget for the purchase and to begin survey work and environmental assessments.

The five year capital budget projection also includes 2.8-million for repairs to the sea wall on the harbour side - and - another 400-thousand for a pedway from Market Square to the site.

The Hardman Group wants to develop more retail space - a hotel - and - condos in that area.
I heard the same thing, and an announcement is on the way after New Years I believe. It's about bloody time, and if true this is HUGE for Saint John, especially if it includes a large volume of residential units as planned.

Also, I'm hearing more whispers about the refinery being sold to Repsol, from numerous different sources. It's hard to believe, and it's all just rumours, but interesting fodder for discussion none-the-less.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickMontreal View Post
Coast Guard Deal Near?

What's with the City and Pedways?? It totally kills any on-street pedestrian activity and makes the streets look like those from a ghost town and limits the amount of streetfront retail further compromising the vibrancy of the city.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 12:57 PM
All aboard the Failboat

It's only been 5 years since we had any news regarding the water front development deal

they better move fast on this, we need some new highrises

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
I heard the same thing, and an announcement is on the way after New Years I believe. It's about bloody time, and if true this is HUGE for Saint John, especially if it includes a large volume of residential units as planned.

Also, I'm hearing more whispers about the refinery being sold to Repsol, from numerous different sources. It's hard to believe, and it's all just rumours, but interesting fodder for discussion none-the-less.

This would be fantastic. I cannot think of a better project for the city. This would really give us a fantastic waterfront and still have some room for further development between the two new condo high rises and this new development.

If this were to go through I would actually be less negative on Peel Plaza as well. The tax rate will go up as a result of this development and now the entire area will be new buildings mixed with well preserved historical. wow!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhottawa729 View Post
What's with the City and Pedways?? It totally kills any on-street pedestrian activity and makes the streets look like those from a ghost town and limits the amount of streetfront retail further compromising the vibrancy of the city.
They feel it is essential to the convention/tourism market to have some way of keeping people indoors between the various hotels and the trade and convention centre. I agree with you entirely though, I'd prefer not to see the tunnel built, as it would create a very vibrant pedestrian plaza area between Market Square and the Coast Guard site if they left it un-attached. I think that perhaps this is somewhere that if we as citizens should contact our councillors and suggest that if they are looking for pieces to cut out of the budget to save the city money while actually improving the city at the same time. Wanna get rid of $400,000 of wasteful spending? Done.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 3:22 PM

Quote:
They feel it is essential to the convention/tourism market to have some way of keeping people indoors between the various hotels and the trade and convention centre. I agree with you entirely though, I'd prefer not to see the tunnel built, as it would create a very vibrant pedestrian plaza area between Market Square and the Coast Guard site if they left it un-attached. I think that perhaps this is somewhere that if we as citizens should contact our councillors and suggest that if they are looking for pieces to cut out of the budget to save the city money while actually improving the city at the same time. Wanna get rid of $400,000 of wasteful spending? Done.
I think the pedway is a great idea. The existing pedway has attracted lots of positive feedback for the uptown. I understand the argument for keeping a vibrant streetscape, and I think you can have both. How vibrant is the streetscape from January to March uptown when it is frickin' cold outside? Having the pedway is a great alternative, and I think the indoor passage and the sidewalks can coexist and thrive. This is a great opportunity on the Coast Guard site and I think it is very exciting. Let's hope we can get it moving quickly.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 3:23 PM

Quote:

I am guessing it will be Exxon, not Repsol. Overall, the end of an era, but I think great for Saint John. to have a giagantic worldclass company set up shop inour community means only good things. Hard for the Irvings to invest 7 billion in a new refinery, but to Exxon that is chump change. Having a big company like that, possible setting up east coast head office to serve the new england market, based here in Saint John, could be HUGE!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces