HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 2:27 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Will it improve the experience on Provencher though? If they have to tear down all the median trees, boy that'll suck and you can bet everyone will complain.
I think Allard points out in his article about it that the current trees aren't doing that great.

I'm thinking if there's bus stop islands every few blocks that there could then be rows of trees in between them.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Will it improve the experience on Provencher though? If they have to tear down all the median trees, boy that'll suck and you can bet everyone will complain.
This is assuming that the median is the option they go with. If it's just about transit priority signals synced to busses, and dedicated lanes – may not need the median off the hop. Would cost little money to restrict the current right lane to busses only (no right turns – put in curbs) and add priority signals. Assess effectiveness of this model then decide if and when the median should be implemented down the line.

But anyway, if you go down Provencher – almost all the trees are dead or dying, so I don't really think it's a big issue to tear down and replant if it will really improve the street or is needed. It's not anything close to the level of Broadway.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 8:55 PM

I would just do diamond lanes on Provencher during rush hour. I believe they already have no parking in effect anyways. basically what they already have now..

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 1:53 AM
keep the good times going

They could do something similar to this on Provencher, the medians are about the same width.

https://www.ridemetro.org/Pages/UptownBRT.aspx

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 1:02 PM

Looks great! I don't think we could do the green guideways because they would be destroyed in the winter. The rest looks good.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
Looks great! I don't think we could do the green guideways because they would be destroyed in the winter. The rest looks good.
Turf!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Turf!
A loader would also ruin turf.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 8:11 PM

The turf part is cool. They tried that in some back lanes in Winnipeg recently. Didn't hear how it turned out. But likely awful as people would be constantly turning to get in garages and such.

But ya, I was thinking the only way would be to do it like that. Add a lane in the median on either side of the trees. Not what they showed in the open house stuff, but that's all high level renderings anyways.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 12:44 AM

According to the last thing I heard about them in 2015, the trial permeable back lane in Winnipeg cost 2x as much as a normal concrete or asphalt lane to build

Apparently the clay in Winnipeg does not accept water properly and has to be replaced with crushed rock for proper drainage and weeping pipe has to be added to move the water

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 2:10 PM

Ya, like I said (and others before) there are very few trees in even decent condition on Provencher – so either just add a prioritized diamond lane at first to trial and keep costs down, or treat the entire ROW like a blank slate and do this properly for vehicular traffic, parking, cyclists, and pedestrians.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 2:22 PM

The City has been overlaying Provencher with asphalt the last number of years. So at least they haven't done a full blown reconstruction. That's leads well into a blank slate type thing for Provencher.

So demo all the trees and put in the median bus lanes. Reduce travelled lanes to two each way, with no parking during rush hour. Widen the sidewalks out. Need to have room for cycling infrastructure too. Put in new trees, planters, etc. Would be quite nice. Could maybe maintain three lanes each way, but I'm not sure if that's even need. Provencher is never that busy except for rush hours and Canada day.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 12:00 AM
BANNED

apparently a bunch of pavement is having to be replaced on the first phase of the transitway and they installed traffic lights during the repairs.. quite the winnipeg job

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
apparently a bunch of pavement is having to be replaced on the first phase of the transitway and they installed traffic lights during the repairs.. quite the winnipeg job
There's a huge stretch with sections ripped up -- from the overpass to Fort Route, and then from just past Osborne Station to beyond Hargrave.

5 years seems like a pretty short lifespan. I'm hoping this is being covered by PCL under the D-B-F-O-M arrangement?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 1:33 PM

"Made in Manitoba" project.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
I saw it going by on Donald Street... yeah, it is a bit of an eye-roller. Hopefully the repairs don't take long.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 1:44 PM

Phase 1 was a P3 project, right? So this would be the contractors responsibility to fix?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 6:27 PM

Last night they actually had the NB lane closed off from Main to Osborne Station (not sure if beyond that) and busses were using Stradbrook/Donald. SB was still running normally on the transitway.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 6:45 PM

Phase 1 was not as P3. It's on the City. Seems like mostly spot repairs and joint repairs. but yes, shouldn't need to be done.

There's work going on in various locations throughout the entire length.

I don't ride the transitway very often, so can't comment on how bad the roadway was. Seems like overall it's still in good shape.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 6:58 PM

Now that I look at it, seems like there are holes cute throughout the lane between Harkness Station and Main St.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 7:05 PM

^There are a couple from what I saw today driving by.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan