HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
I recognize the need but that's gentrification for you. If economics changes the dynamic and best use for Washington Ave, then so be it. The city's coffers will be better for it.

And those very businesses being uprooted can help revitalize another street. East Oregon Ave or the stretch where Pattison Ave meets Columbus are practically empty; these supply stores could also fit along Essington Ave.

The point is, if there is development pressure in one area; and fallow land in another area, isn't a win-win for the city to improve Washington Ave and develop vacant land in other neighborhoods?
And if the building supply places stay where they are, some other streets in the city will absorb whatever residences you want to build on Washington Avenue.

I realize these places won't last there forever, but my only point is we don't need to usher them out sooner than they naturally would leave (or the Asian strip malls on the other side of Broad for that matter). Also, I think it really benefits contractors to have these stores in this location (closer to the homes they are building) and centralized in one spot.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eixample View Post
And if the building supply places stay where they are, some other streets in the city will absorb whatever residences you want to build on Washington Avenue.

I realize these places won't last there forever, but my only point is we don't need to usher them out sooner than they naturally would leave (or the Asian strip malls on the other side of Broad for that matter). Also, I think it really benefits contractors to have these stores in this location (closer to the homes they are building) and centralized in one spot.
Nobody is advocating pushing them out faster than natural market forces would. I was simply saying that the chocolate factory could push those naturally occurring g are forces to push them out.

Residential in transit friendly locations is more desirable than car dependant construction. In the long run, when the market dictates it, Washington Ave is better off as retail/resi.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 10:25 AM
Hello

DRPA finalizes proposed PATCO, bridge work for 2018

http://www.courierpostonline.com/sto...018/843119001/

Last edited by SJPhillyBoy; Nov 19, 2017 at 1:14 PM.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Nobody is advocating pushing them out faster than natural market forces would. I was simply saying that the chocolate factory could push those naturally occurring g are forces to push them out.

Residential in transit friendly locations is more desirable than car dependant construction. In the long run, when the market dictates it, Washington Ave is better off as retail/resi.

My point is that "market forces" are effected by City policy; if certain blocks or sites are zoned in such a way that strongly discourages residential development that might be a method for the City to encourage the ongoing existing uses. Market forces in reality don't work in a vacuum, there might be all sorts of factors at work here, City policy is one. Certainly the City can't require that C&R stay in business, but there are certain things, like zoning, that it can do to help business resist the siren call and financial pressure that residential development can create.

Some suggest that these businesses can move and that's true in theory, but experience says that many will just close their doors for good. There's something to be said that there's a large collection of mostly local businesses geared toward the building trades all in one area, an area that's fairly near CC. I realize this type of business quarter isn't on everyones top 10 list, often because its not neat and clean and will never to a place for tourists, but its real and obviously serves a valid and viable marketplace. One I hope the City does what it can to keep. Act now before Toll Bros. proposes a condo tower in the area!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I couldn't agree more with the bolded statement. I would usually be the first one to complain about a surface parking lot fronting Washington Avenue, but I also wouldn't want anything new rising there. I'm just so happy that this beautiful structure will be given a new lease on life!

We should absolutely be talking about a new trolley line! Imo, the best route would be between 49th and Woodland and the Delaware and Frankford Loop. This alignment would kill two birds with one stone: not only would it serve residents along the Washington Ave. corridor, but also those along the Delaware Riverfront and Fishtown.
or maybe some true BRT,, trolley would be great but what about that new Chinese bus that looks like a train

would love to see Washington linked with the portal in U City and the frankford loop

Washington could really become something with a little road diet, some new PT combined with some dedicated bike lanes

also while at it have a 25th street BRT to the stadiums and into the Navy yard and potentially around DE ave

could really be three lines, one from the U City trolley portal to or looping through the Navy Yard via 25th and around DE and back up Washington

Another could loop from the Frankford loop along DE to the Navy yard and loop around 25th and back up Washington to DE ave

The last from the portal to Wash to DE to the Franford portal

to really go crazy have another running the other way from the portal via 38th to Powelton to SG via the tunnel at the art museum

that could also be integrated into the new rail capping if it ever happens

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 8:56 PM

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 11:15 AM

The Graham Building is finally getting some tenants.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/t...-20171113.html

A gym and some groundfloor competition for La Colombe across the street in the form of a new coffee shop and new retail brand for Philly.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 4:09 PM

Plans for 10-acre riverfront park in Bridesburg move forward

Read more here:
https://philly.curbed.com/2017/11/20...-river-designs

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 9:07 PM

Final design phase begins for riverfront park in Bridesburg

http://planphilly.com/articles/2017/...-in-bridesburg

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 9:55 PM

Post Bros. acquires Apple Lofts warehouse redevelopment project in West Philly

Quote:
Philadelphia’s Post Bros. property group has acquired the seven-story warehouse redevelopment project in West Philadelphia known as Apple Lofts, with plans for some 150 apartments in the 115,000-square-foot building.

Post Bros. purchased the property on 52nd Street south of Baltimore Avenue last week for $2.41 million from Iron Stone Strategic Capital Partners, also of Philadelphia, Ken Wellar, a managing partner at Rittenhouse Realty Advisors, which marketed the property, said in an email Monday.
Read more here:
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20171120.html

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 4:50 PM

New College House West, at 40th between Locust Walk and Walnut

Penn has put renderings (including some new ones) of this recently announced project on its PennConnects site:

View from 40th Street looking north.

View from Locust Walk looking west.

View of Campus Green and Entry.

Walnut Street looking east.

Walnut Street looking west.

View of Model looking north.

http://www.pennconnects.upenn.edu/fi...est_images.php

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 4:52 PM

Wharton Academic Research Building, 37th and Spruce

Penn has put renderings (including some new ones) of this recently announced project on its PennConnects site:

View from Quadrangle Memorial Tower.

Wharton Academic Research Building and Electrical Substation.

New Entrance facing Mack Plaza.

Class of 1962 - 37th Street Walk looking south.

Woodland Walk looking southwest.

http://www.pennconnects.upenn.edu/fi...ing_images.php

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
New College House West, at 40th between Locust Walk and Walnut

View from 40th Street looking north.

View from Locust Walk looking west.

View of Campus Green and Entry.

Walnut Street looking east.

Walnut Street looking west.

View of Model looking north.

http://www.pennconnects.upenn.edu/fi...est_images.php
Thank you for posting! Since this is over 12 floors, and will sit at 13 floors tall, there was a separate thread created for this here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=230620

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 3:47 PM

Blackwell proposes transit oriented development around Provident Mutual Life Insurance building

Read more here:
http://planphilly.com/articles/2017/...rance-building

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 3:50 PM

Construction begins on new high school campus at North Philly warehouse, vacant lot

17th & W. Allegheny Ave. - Tioga

Read more here:
https://philly.curbed.com/2017/11/22...groundbreaking

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Wharton Academic Research Building, 37th and Spruce

View from Quadrangle Memorial Tower.

Wharton Academic Research Building and Electrical Substation.

New Entrance facing Mack Plaza.

Class of 1962 - 37th Street Walk looking south.

Woodland Walk looking southwest.

http://www.pennconnects.upenn.edu/fi...ing_images.php

This design is actually quite decent. I was a bit skeptical of the idea, especially with the old psych lab building and soon to be vacated poli sci building available. The drawings, however, show the new building fitting in well.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Thank you for posting! Since this is over 12 floors, and will sit at 13 floors tall, there was a separate thread created for this here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=230620
Hey, figuring out where things go is YOUR job.

Seriously, though, thanks for taking care of this--and everything else you do!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christof View Post
This design is actually quite decent. I was a bit skeptical of the idea, especially with the old psych lab building and soon to be vacated poli sci building available. The drawings, however, show the new building fitting in well.

As this seems to be the last open land in the Wharton campus area, I'm alittle surprised that its not 3 or 4 stories taller. But I missed Penn's call when they phoned to ask me my opinion! This looks like it will fit in well.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 3:48 PM
Me?!?

70 high-end townhouses planned for Manayunk's long-vacant Venice Island
Updated: NOVEMBER 24, 2017 — 5:28 AM EST
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20171124.html

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 5:10 PM

70 high-end townhouses planned for Manayunk's long-vacant Venice Island

Quote:
In a city growing as quickly as Philadelphia is these days, it’s no easy task for developers to find sprawling lots of vacant land that can be developed in attractive neighborhoods.

Yet local developer Dan Neducsin has been sitting on one for decades.

After sitting vacant for more than a decade, 1 Leverington Ave. — between Green Lane and Leverington Avenue, and between the Manayunk Canal and the Schuylkill — is finally seeing some activity. Greg Hill of locally based D3 Developers and Concordia Group of Bethesda, Md., are partnering once again to transform the former industrial site into 70 high-end townhouses, each starting at $599,000. For now, Neducsin, the developer credited with reviving Manayunk in the 1990s, remains the owner of the land.

“In Center City, this would be a $2 million unit,” he continued, speaking about the homes planned. “They are going to see this [development] and come out here.”

Still, there is a long way to go before shovels are in the ground. The developers have had initial meetings with the Manayunk Neighborhood Council, but both a formal Registered Community Organization meeting and a presentation in front of the city’s Civic Design Review board are still needed. Plus, the land is zoned for smaller-scale commercial space on the ground floor and residential up top, meaning that D3 Developers and Concordia will need a change in zoning to accommodate the 70 townhouses.

Kevin Smith, president of the Manayunk Neighborhood Council, said the group generally supports the latest plan, despite having lingering concerns about residential building on the site — one that he said could be prone to flooding by the two bodies of water that surround it. (To combat that, Hill, of D3 Developers, said they plan to raise the grade of the site and install early flood warning systems.)
Read more here:
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20171124.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development