HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 4:26 PM
TL;DR

The appeal in a place like NYC or SF is pretty clear, lots of people have to live in tiny unrenovated apartments to make ends meet. If you can spend the same amount of money to get just a bedroom/bath, but the place is brand new and has amenities and a cleaning service, then maybe it's an okay tradeoff to share common spaces with strangers.

I'm not sure it fits the culture in New Orleans, people aren't used to the tradeoffs that such high rents bring. Then again, these places aren't really catering to natives. If you work from home or out of coffee shops in Brooklyn or SF, why not move to New Orleans for the lifestyle, there's nothing holding you down...

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 5:04 PM
-

2627 Tchoupitoulas St: John Lambertson, applicant; Tchoup Party Stop LLC,
owner; Demolition of three (3) existing one-story warehouse buildings and new
construction of five-story, self-storage facility.

1325 Annunciation St·Demolition · Ref Code: P4T2UX
Download (3) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Demolition
Applicant:
Edwards Communities Construction Company, LLC
Application Review
Date Filed:
4/20/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Complete Demolition

djsnola
4000 Magazine St·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code: A0MGQV
Download (1) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Sean Fisher
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
4/19/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Build out a white box tenant space in existing multi-use building as per plans.

djsnola
4310 Magazine St·Renovation (Structural) · Ref Code: NANDMM
Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Structural)
Applicant:
Nicholas Bruno
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
4/20/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Level 3 alteration of existing vacant commercial storefront to mixed education and assembly space for French immersion school.

djsnola
2200 Robert E Lee Blvd, 6101 Elysian Fields Ave·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code: T060MQ
Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Jeffrey Meleski
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
4/20/2018
Closed:
No
Description
This project includes the tenant build-out of a 6,455 GSF, 13-chair outpatient dialysis clinic. This clinic also includes an exam room, lounge, offices, and water treatment, etc. The scope of work involves HVAC, plumbing, and electrical work.

Last edited by tennis1400; Apr 21, 2018 at 6:48 PM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 12:45 AM

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orlea...848bbc66a.html

So I guess we know what the Loews theater will be...

Plans to renovate the long-blighted Loew's State Palace Theater on Canal Street have been on hold for years, which city officials have blamed for stalling broader development in that area. But the building's owners just last week filed plans to demolish part of the structure and put up a nine-story hotel.

Thank goodness, I thought we might run out of hotels soon.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderOz View Post
http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orlea...848bbc66a.html

So I guess we know what the Loews theater will be...

Plans to renovate the long-blighted Loew's State Palace Theater on Canal Street have been on hold for years, which city officials have blamed for stalling broader development in that area. But the building's owners just last week filed plans to demolish part of the structure and put up a nine-story hotel.

Thank goodness, I thought we might run out of hotels soon.
I just died a little inside after reading that. It reminds me of the Orpheum. Thank goodness the original plans to have it demolished in the late 60s didn't happen. With any luck this crap will fall through as well.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 1:44 AM
NOLA Razorback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend_Cletus View Post
I just died a little inside after reading that. It reminds me of the Orpheum. Thank goodness the original plans to have it demolished in the late 60s didn't happen. With any luck this crap will fall through as well.
Yeahhhh I can't imagine this going over well with a lot of folks/planning commission

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 1:05 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
Yeahhhh I can't imagine this going over well with a lot of folks/planning commission
well they never landmarked the theatre inside so really not much that can be done

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 1:07 PM
-

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
well they never landmarked the theatre inside so really not much that can be done
I don’t hate the project but demolishing the theater space is a non-starter. I wish they would turn the tower 90 degrees, save and renovate the theater space and build the tower above it. Let them go higher than the zoning allows if needed. Seems like it would work but they would have to sacrifice having a parking garage.

I might be in the minority, but I’m ok with a lot more hotels. Other cities are building thousands of more rooms a year. New Orleans has catching up to do.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
I don’t hate the project but demolishing the theater space is a non-starter. I wish they would turn the tower 90 degrees, save and renovate the theater space and build the tower above it. Let them go higher than the zoning allows if needed. Seems like it would work but they would have to sacrifice having a parking garage.

I might be in the minority, but I’m ok with a lot more hotels. Other cities are building thousands of more rooms a year. New Orleans has catching up to do.
I'm just speaking for myself, but I wouldn't mind as many hotels if the rest of the city outside of tourism was doing better. Sure we're starting to build some new apartment buildings downtown, but they'll probably turn into majority STRs or Timeshares or other tourist-centric housing just like the Saratoga, California Building, Maritime Building, and Factor's Row.

For me its just a general dissatisfaction that the city has focused on tourism to the point where it's harder for real residents to live and work here. Tearing down the Loews Theater for yet another hotel is another indication that this city belongs to drunk out of towners, and residents continue to get squeezed out. But that's not the conversation to have on these boards I guess.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 5:55 PM
-

Quote:

i would much prefer them to incorporate the theatre in it

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
i would much prefer them to incorporate the theatre in it
Then the Hard Rock could brand this as their hotel, and have a great performance space attached to it... in a perfect world.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 8:21 PM
-

Quote:
Then the Hard Rock could brand this as their hotel, and have a great performance space attached to it... in a perfect world.
i do realize that it would be hard for this theatre to find its place in the landscape especially with the fillmore coming online too

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 9:53 PM

It would be a real shame to lose this venue to a hotel. Plenty of other sites for hotels in the area. Hopefully something can be worked out with the city or one of its development arms to take it over as was done with the Saenger. I'm surprised to hear that there is no historic status or protection for the auditorium.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 10:30 PM
NOLA Razorback

This may be a stupid idea, but it would actually be a pretty cool spot for a transit hub/retail.. Since the beautiful old one across the street was torn down years ago, the theater could be a beautiful grand central station like space since so many buses stop right there for downtown.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 3:26 AM
life is good

How many theaters/venues can the city support tho? Let's be honest. Doesn't seem to be enough business for all that exist already. I like the hotel paired with the original facade idea

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 4:52 AM

Theaters aren't very profitable on their own, but they generate a lot of economic activity in the area. It would be good for the city or another organization to take control of it. Think about it - the Saints play a few times a year in the city, rent free at the superdome plus get huge subsidies from the state. LSED and the Convention Center are sitting on at least a quarter billion while the local arts organizations pay large sums to their venues directly (and those venues make money for the city in the case of the Saenger and Mahalia Jackson).

Now it's a broader discussion that I don't mean to get into, but the point is that there is money out there to do a restoration if the will is there and the economic benefits would far outweigh adding a few more hotel rooms. The current venues are pretty well booked - you can only do so many shows per week - and the demand is growing.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 5:30 AM
NOLA Razorback

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
Theaters aren't very profitable on their own, but they generate a lot of economic activity in the area. It would be good for the city or another organization to take control of it. Think about it - the Saints play a few times a year in the city, rent free at the superdome plus get huge subsidies from the state. LSED and the Convention Center are sitting on at least a quarter billion while the local arts organizations pay large sums to their venues directly (and those venues make money for the city in the case of the Saenger and Mahalia Jackson).

Now it's a broader discussion that I don't mean to get into, but the point is that there is money out there to do a restoration if the will is there and the economic benefits would far outweigh adding a few more hotel rooms. The current venues are pretty well booked - you can only do so many shows per week - and the demand is growing.
I'd agree with you. Especially considering that in recent years the Saenger, Joy, Orpheum, and Civic have all been renovated and brought back. There is certainly no stagnation in regards to events/shows booking at all of them. They're all so unique and cater to different events based on size/venue setting quite well. And the theaters IMO are doing quite well on being regularly busy and occupied.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 1:15 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
I'd agree with you. Especially considering that in recent years the Saenger, Joy, Orpheum, and Civic have all been renovated and brought back. There is certainly no stagnation in regards to events/shows booking at all of them. They're all so unique and cater to different events based on size/venue setting quite well. And the theaters IMO are doing quite well on being regularly busy and occupied.
thats the thing ... they all have their niche ... what exactly would be the state palaces ? just curious.. clearly a previous poster here said the original plans fell through and what we are seeing is option 2. i hate to lose the theatre as well but what other options are there at this point other than letting it sit? its a discussion we will have about the municipal auditorium too

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 2:43 PM

Its easy for me to say of course, but I'd rather the State Palace sit idle and neglected another 5 years until demand/interest grows enough to justify the costs of renovation rather than permanently lose it.

Once that dime a dozen hotel's built there's no getting the theater back.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 3:38 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderOz View Post
Its easy for me to say of course, but I'd rather the State Palace sit idle and neglected another 5 years until demand/interest grows enough to justify the costs of renovation rather than permanently lose it.

Once that dime a dozen hotel's built there's no getting the theater back.
Ultimately I agree with you! this will be an interesting one to watch unfold

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations