HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 1:09 AM

Downtown Rouses/ South Market District Updates!

Great article on City Business updating the progress of these two projects.

Rouses: Opening pushed back from first week of October to mid-November. They ran into some issues renovating the building, but they are pouring the concrete for their outdoor parking lot on O'Keefe (which I wish wasn't going to be there) and installing shelving units right now.

"Architect John Williams and contractor Brian Gibbs are putting the final touches on the project, reinstalling some of the historic elements such as a 60-year old chandelier that was featured when Pontchartrain Motors occupied the building, along with mirrors and woodwork, Rouse said.

“I toured supermarkets all around the U.S. and took the best elements and put them in here,” Rouse said. “This will be one of the finest stores and I’m sure we’ll have visitors from around the country who work in our industry coming to look at it.”

South Market: Construction expected to begin in first half of 2012, and they bought more land!

"Development in the downtown area is progressing at such a rapid pace that South Market District purchased additional plots of land to expand beyond the four original parcels.

Interest in the retail space has been “incredibly” strong, Schwartz said, and in the coming months Domain expects to announce the first batch of tenants that will include restaurants, entertainment venues and clothing and home décor stores."

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 1:15 AM
-

I hate the surface parking lot as well but from what I understand they plan to use it for many things besides parking so that's at least a positive

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 3:26 AM

great news, especially about south market district buying up more plots for expansion.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 3:34 AM
Ex Houstonian

Sorry, last comment I make that doesnt relate to New Orleans development, but I just have to say that Ive been all over the world and New Orleans is probably my favorite city Ive ever been to. St. Louis comes in at a close second, but New Orleans just feels alive or something. Ill be making a photo thread on the city soon. Heres just one photo I took today from the Marriott Hotel. I walked all around the French Quarter of course than walked from there to Bywater where all the hipsters apparently hang out. Anways, this city is absolutely amazing and I cant wait to live here.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 4:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Sorry, last comment I make that doesnt relate to New Orleans development, but I just have to say that Ive been all over the world and New Orleans is probably my favorite city Ive ever been to. St. Louis comes in at a close second, but New Orleans just feels alive or something. Ill be making a photo thread on the city soon. Heres just one photo I took today from the Marriott Hotel. I walked all around the French Quarter of course than walked from there to Bywater where all the hipsters apparently hang out. Anways, this city is absolutely amazing and I cant wait to live here.

Cool photo. I used to live in New Orleans and I loved it. Possibly my favorite city in the USA. It is a single man's town, if you know what I mean. Explore and enjoy!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 2:09 PM

Photo from Marriott

[QUOTE=photoLith;5412784]Sorry, last comment I make that doesnt relate to New Orleans development, but I just have to say that Ive been all over the world and New Orleans is probably my favorite city Ive ever been to. St. Louis comes in at a close second, but New Orleans just feels alive or something. Ill be making a photo thread on the city soon. Heres just one photo I took today from the Marriott Hotel. I walked all around the French Quarter of course than walked from there to Bywater where all the hipsters apparently hang out. Anways, this city is absolutely amazing and I cant wait to live here.

(left out the picture to save space) but just a thought back to a VCC "debate" / lawsuit a few months back regarding solar panels in the french quarter.

Of course, 99% of people in the quarter can't even see the roofs, but when you are up in downtown looking down on the quarter like this picture... wouldn't you be soooooooo offended to see solar panels on those historic roofs....

(big load of sarcasm)

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 3:14 PM

I can't wait to move to New Orleans either, and I grew up just 60-80 miles west in Baton Rouge but its a world of difference. The French had a grand plan for Baton Rouge in the 1700s, just never panned out.

I don't see the problem with solar panels in the VC. They should be all over the state.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 3:50 PM
-

I know Solar Panels are so awful but Ac Units and cars are beautiful? lol

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 5:16 PM
-

New bar restaurant moving into bottom of garage on Tchoupitoulas

http://barcadiabars.com/

Also, ampersands lounge bar OHM will be moving into it as well. Ill post a rendering when i get to a better computer !

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 5:55 PM

Legislative panel approves new teaching hospital construction

After lawmakers had raised questions for months about the University Medical Center project, the Legislature’s Joint Budget Committee gave its approval Friday, without objection, for the state facilities office to launch construction for the Charity Hospital successor. The 424-bed campus is projected to open in 2015.

http://www.nola.com/health/index.ssf...prove_new.html

Long time coming but fantastic news!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 6:26 PM

HAAAAAAAAAAALLLLEEEELUJAAAAA

outside of the revamped levee system, this is possibly the most important thing that has happened post_K

edit: forgot to introduce myself:

born and raised in NO, now living in BR (hopefully not for long) and spend most of my weekends in NO. I am an engineer involved in coastal restoration and protection planning.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 6:46 PM

Woop woop. Bought property in Mid-City on the assumption that the hospital would push the value through the roof. Nice to see this getting done.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson View Post
HAAAAAAAAAAALLLLEEEELUJAAAAA

outside of the revamped levee system, this is possibly the most important thing that has happened post_K

edit: forgot to introduce myself:

born and raised in NO, now living in BR (hopefully not for long) and spend most of my weekends in NO. I am an engineer involved in coastal restoration and protection planning.
BR isn't that bad.

Good news about the UMC.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 9:33 PM
-

Barcadia Plans

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 9:48 PM

I read in the PRC's Preservation in Print that a NOLA company Bluebag is going to build a design studio in the Lower Garden District (around Second Line Stages). They go to Houston 3 times a week to buy IKEA furniture to sell to people in NOLA. Pretty cool. Also, the owner hopes that it will bring more retail and business to the area.

http://www.prcno.org/programs/preservationinprint/

Also, Markey Park in the Bywater recieved 600 thousand dollars from the Trust for Public Land for a redevlopement. These are the same people developed the area around NOMA and the Big Lake which looks awesome.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...ation_int.html

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Barcadia Plans

That looks big.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 10:10 PM
-

Its 10,000 square feet I believe

Heres a rough idea for a new building behind Lucys.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
New bar restaurant moving into bottom of garage on Tchoupitoulas

http://barcadiabars.com/

Also, ampersands lounge bar OHM will be moving into it as well. Ill post a rendering when i get to a better computer !
Thanks for the updates as always. I thought Stacy Head said the WHD had reached its bar saturation point when denying the wine bar on St. Joseph. Maybe it's because these are closer to Poydras, but I am all for it. Very exciting.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 10:48 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaWave View Post
Thanks for the updates as always. I thought Stacy Head said the WHD had reached its bar saturation point when denying the wine bar on St. Joseph. Maybe it's because these are closer to Poydras, but I am all for it. Very exciting.
Never heard anything about a wine bar on St Joseph? Perhaps there were more zoning issues than other properties~

Old Posted Sep 17, 2011, 6:31 AM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolacat157 View Post
After lawmakers had raised questions for months about the University Medical Center project, the Legislature’s Joint Budget Committee gave its approval Friday, without objection, for the state facilities office to launch construction for the Charity Hospital successor. The 424-bed campus is projected to open in 2015.

http://www.nola.com/health/index.ssf...prove_new.html

Long time coming but fantastic news!
Out of the loop on this one, why is it such a big deal? Will it bring in tons of new jobs that are well paying hopefully?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations