HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 7:29 PM

Ed Gainey became the first CFL player since 1986 and only the ninth in history to secure four interceptions in a game during the Riders 41-8 win over the Lions yesterday at NMS in Regina.

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/08/14/oh-nig...ng-riders-win/

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
Ed Gainey became the first CFL player since 1986 and only the ninth in history to secure four interceptions in a game during the Riders 41-8 win over the Lions yesterday at NMS in Regina.

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/08/14/oh-nig...ng-riders-win/
He may have been the first one since 1986 to get 4 interceptions in a game - certainly a huge accomplishment - but it's odd that the league failed to mention that Rod Hill got 5 interceptions in a game back in 1990.

Solid outing by the Riders, though.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 5:41 PM

^^^ Solid yes, but boring as hell. In fact I found all the games in week 8 to be rather crappy. Hope things pick up this week as there are two solid matchups. Western teams of course.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthumb2 View Post
^^^ Solid yes, but boring as hell. In fact I found all the games in week 8 to be rather crappy. Hope things pick up this week as there are two solid matchups. Western teams of course.
I hope you like upsets, because the Bombers are gonna unload one on the unsuspecting Eskies this week

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Being a Roughrider fan, I wasn't confident of the win until the 3 min warning of the 4th quarter!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Hope things pick up this week as there are two solid matchups.
Ottawa/Hamilton is the most intriguing matchup, almost like whoever lives or dies.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Being a Roughrider fan, I wasn't confident of the win until the 3 min warning of the 4th quarter!
LOL, my friend was saying the exact same thing!! Classic Rider Fan!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I hope you like upsets, because the Bombers are gonna unload one on the unsuspecting Eskies this week
God I hope you're right! I would imagine the game will be a sell out too.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 9:53 PM

You gotta admit that Matt Nichols is a winner. Watch the video of the comeback game, when they get the ball back you can see him on the sideline with a little smile on his face like ``No problem, I got this`` 1:45:30 on the video.

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 6:29 PM

Way to go Commish!

I think most would agree the new Commish is off to a superb start.

Here's one more reason to believe so (see video below, CFL on CNN).

This is excellent global exposure for the CFL (and its newest stadium!), but more importantly for spreading the diversity message.

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/08/17/ambros...international/

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 4:18 AM

Bombers are for real and deserved to be mentioned in the same breath as Edmonton and Calgary. OUtgained the Esks by over 100 yards and dominated time of possession by 13 or 14 minutes. Harris with an absolutely dominating performance - approx. 250 yards rushing and receiving. He is easily an MVP candidate at this point.

The score flattered the Eskimos. Bombers in 3rd place in the west and hopefully rising.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 4:43 AM

Just amazing fun at tonight's Bomber game at IGF field. These Bombers are HUNGRY and came out determined. Feels like the 80's again with the winning Bombers lead by a surgeon QB, a knowledgeable Canadian coach and dominant O-Line and running game and a ball hawk defense.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 1:02 PM

"The score flattered the Eskimos. Bombers in 3rd place in the west and hopefully rising."

Ya the Eskies offence was pretty dismal in the first half, and holy turnover opportunities Reilly! He was being feasted on in the early going.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 1:57 PM

Eskies looked discombobulated and undisciplined out there last night. Definitely did not look like an undefeated team. Maybe just too many regulars on the DL.

As thrilled as I am that the Bombers put Edmonton away yesterday in what was a solid performance, it's a little unsettling that the Eskimos almost came back in the late stages. Bombers need to find a way to finish drives and not find themselves in 4th quarter battles with teams that they should be dominating. But I will still take my hat off to Nichols, the O line and Andrew Harris for an amazing offensive performance.

All that said, that was the most fun I've had at IGF in a while

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 2:15 PM

Can't judge the Eskimos based on that game. Too many injuries. Now up to ~ 20 starters including several of their most important players (Sherritt, Sewell, Whyte, White, Bowman, Zylstra) and they were STILL in it right until the end. Hervey did an excellent job filling this team with depth but they need to start getting healthy soon.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 3:13 PM

^ Fair comment, the Bombers lucked out a bit by playing Edmonton when they have been so decimated by injuries.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 6:46 PM

Bombers do need to finish off a few more drives but Edmonton was also extremely lucky with the deflected TD catch. Without that the Bombers would have had a firmer grip on the game. Even so, the Bombers had a reasonably secure lead with 3 minutes left and the Esks down by ten. Even in the CFL it is difficult to drive the field and get within reasonable distance for a field goal with only 3 or fewer minutes left.

Hervey did a good job of stocking up on imports during his tenure and that partially explains the Eskimos continued good play with all the starters (and in a few cases the backups) out with injury. But I think the most important factor is Mike Reilly. Right now, he is the best Qb in the league. He is good at short range passes, but excellent (and probably the best) at long throws over 30 yards. He is also an excellent scrambler. IMO, with any other QB except possibly Mitchell, I think Edmonton probably has 3 or 4 losses at this point.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 6:52 PM

^ Reilly has deadly accuracy when throwing longer passes. It really opens up the field for the Eskimos because defenders simply can't ignore the deep threat.

By contrast, for all of Nichols' success, when push comes to shove he tends to play it safe and throw underneath. I think that's partly why drives are stalling out so often for the Bombers... it's tough to end up with a TD when your completions are only getting you 6 or 7 yards at a time.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Bombers are for real and deserved to be mentioned in the same breath as Edmonton and Calgary. OUtgained the Esks by over 100 yards and dominated time of possession by 13 or 14 minutes. Harris with an absolutely dominating performance - approx. 250 yards rushing and receiving. He is easily an MVP candidate at this point.

The score flattered the Eskimos. Bombers in 3rd place in the west and hopefully rising.
Actually Bombers are 2nd in the West (for today only, as the winner of Calgary - BC will overtake them tonight). Still a close 4 way race!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 8:05 PM

4 of Edmonton's wins came from close games with eastern teams. I think they may have more difficulties for the next little while.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada