Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 4:02 PM
Droppin' Loads

Some good news. I thought they should have done this all along

Quote:
SMART plans Sonoma County airport station
By BOB NORBERG
THE PRESS DEMOCRAT
Published: Thursday, April 19, 2012 at 5:11 p.m.
Last Modified: Thursday, April 19, 2012 at 5:11 p.m.

The Sonoma-Marin passenger rail agency is planning to build a future station at Airport Boulevard, where riders would be just a shuttle ride away from the Sonoma County airport.

The station would become part of the Sonoma-Marin Area Rail Transit District’s construction of an operations and maintenance facility on 6.6 acres that SMART is buying from the Sonoma County Water Agency.

SMART officials said the airport station would be in addition to the 14 that are already promised.

“It is set up for the future, but I suggest it won’t happen before the Windsor station is built and some other things in the 72-mile plan,” said SMART Chairwoman Valerie Brown. “It will be a board decision. There are a lot of components that will not make it the speediest process, but it is there, it is recognized.”

County Supervisor Mike McGuire, whose district encompasses the airport, said it will be an important transportation link to the Charles M. Schultz-Sonoma County Airport.

An Airport Boulevard station was not in SMART’s initial plans, which were put together before the Sonoma County airport had Alaska Air passenger service.

“SMART is absolutely right to ensure the train will serve Windsor first, that has always been the plan,” McGuire said. “But it is clear via the designation of a new station that this is vitally important to SMART and the county of Sonoma and the North Bay in general.”

The district is buying the site on the southwest corner of Airport Boulevard and the railroad tracks from the Water Agency for $2.7 million.

The facility is expected to cost $15 million and is part of the overall $360 million budget for the Santa Rosa-San Rafael service.

It will be where cars are inspected daily, repaired and cleaned and where dispatchers will manage both SMART’s passenger trains and the Northwestern Pacific Railroad Co. freight trains.

When service begins in late 2015 or early 2016, there would be about 100 workers at the facility.

“When the board wishes to activate that plan, we will work with the county for a shuttle service,” said SMART General Manager Farhad Mansourian. “This makes a lot of sense.”

The purchase was announced Thursday, a week before work is scheduled to begin on SMART’s initial line, from Guerneville Road in Santa Rosa to the Marin County Civic Center, at a cost of $103 million.

An additional contract will provide for an extension from the Civic Center to downtown San Rafael.

The initial operating line would be 38.5 miles, extended to Cloverdale and to Larkspur as future funding becomes available.

The maintenance facility would be 4.5 miles north of Guerneville Road, the northern end of the initial line and 3 miles from where a station would be located in Windsor.

The track between Guerneville Road and Airport Boulevard is sufficient to run the trains at slow speeds, Mansourian said. Rebuilding it would cost $10 million and is not in the current construction budget.
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article...irport-station

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 5:19 PM
Sonoma Strong

^ I agree. My wife works in the business park by the airport close to this planned station. Now just for funding...

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 3:56 PM
Show me the blueprints

bart Fleet of the Future

Not sure if this was already posted but BART has this conceptual image on their website dated March 2012 saying it's the latest design for the new cars:

link

Also in a PDF

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 10:52 PM
Only Mostly Dead

According to the SF Business Times, it currently looks like Bombardier will be the supplier:

Quote:
BART recommends Canadian company to build new fleet
San Francisco Business Times
Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Canadian company Bombardier Inc. was recommended by BART staff Monday for a $2.5 billion contract to build a fleet of cars, the Bay Citizen reports.

The recommendations come amid criticism that not enough of the work will be carried out in the United States.

The company's proposal would have 66 percent of the 775 cars built in the country, while the second-place bidder, the French company Alstom, had promised to build 95 percent of the fleet here -- a proposal the company said would have created 50 jobs on Mare Island in Vallejo.
I heard on the news last night that the parts would come from American suppliers and the cars would be assembled in the US. Given that 66% figure quoted in the article, I either misheard some of that or it was reported incorrectly. So I'm not sure if it means 2/3s of the cars will be assembled in the US with 100% US components or all of them will be assembled here with 2/3s US components or some other combination of percentages that get you there. But either way I hope it will alleviate concerns that it's a non-US company who won the bid.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 1:17 AM
TL;DR

What's with the sunflower clipart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 3:11 AM
Show me the blueprints

My guess is its probably a sort of stand in for possible rotating artwork or graphics that could be "wrapped" on the beltline panel.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 3:18 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
But either way I hope it will alleviate concerns that it's a non-US company who won the bid.
What US company could win the bid??? No American company has had the capacity to build a electric passenger railcar for decades - one of the most shameful and saddening aspects of passenger rail decline in the US post-war. No more Budd. No more Pullman. No more StLC. No more ACF. No more Westinghouse. What was the last real American rolling stock? Boeing-Vertol? Morrison-Knudsen perhaps...

Last edited by Busy Bee; Apr 25, 2012 at 3:15 PM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 4:25 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Yeah, I know. But you know how people complain about that stuff. It's often a lot of theater.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 4:29 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Boeing light rail trains sucked--they made the miserable, failed Muni rolling stock before the current Breda fleet--and quite frankly, if buying American means buying that kind of crap, then good riddance.

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 9:43 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

92 trains a day on the Caltrain corridor--sweet!

Caltrain planning train gains
Will Reisman
SF Examiner
05/02/12

Commute benefit: Caltrain expects a balanced budget for the next fiscal year, and it may add six trains to its schedule.
With a balanced budget projected for the upcoming fiscal year, the agency is recommending introducing six more trains to its schedule, increasing the daily total from 86 to 92.

Caltrain’s ridership has reached record levels and it needs to address overcrowding, said spokeswoman Christine Dunn. The agency would likely split the added service between the morning and evening commutes, she said.
It is expected to cost $375,000, which is part of the $111 million operating budget for fiscal year 2012-13 that the Caltrain board of directors will discuss at a meeting today.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 11:21 AM

Caltrain projecting budget deficit in 2013

Quote:
Caltrain ridership is at a historic high and the agency is actually considering adding service this fall. However, at the same time, it doesn't know how it's going to balance next year's budget. It's a situation that highlights Caltrain's dependence on a patchwork funding sources that come and go.

It's boom-times for Caltrain.

"Twenty months in a row of double-digit increases in ridership, revenue is record level, we've got people that can't find a seat on the train. Sometimes they're having to sit in a vestibule, which is not the safest thing to do, so we've got to make room for them," said Mark Simon, a Caltrain spokesperson.

So, the board is thinking about adding six trains in September -- four on either side of peak times and two at two in the afternoon.

"I love the idea of more trains. I think that's really fantastic. There's certainly a demand for it," said Adina Levin from Friends of Caltrain.

But just as soon as that demand is met, it could be back to over-crowding next summer when the unbalanced 2013-14 budget might force Caltrain to take back the additional service and more.

"I'm also really concerned that without a budget outline even for 2014, it is a risk to approve a service increase," said Levin.

The roller coaster budget ride is nothing new to Caltrain. The only Bay Area transit agency without its own tax base, it relies mainly on contributions from its three major partners -- Muni, SamTrans and VTA -- and a patchwork of other one-time sources.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 4:46 PM

That's fantastic news about CalTrain!

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 9:25 PM

Looks like BART is planning to start running buses in the middle of the night on weekends, while the trains are shut down:

Quote:
BART-by-bus night routes proposed
By: Will Reisman | 05/09/12 9:34 PM
SF Examiner Staff Writer

Transit alternative: BART says it can’t offer late-night train service because of required track maintenance, but buses can duplicate its services.
BART passengers will probably never have the chance to routinely ride the train system late at night, but they might be able to do the next best thing.

A regional bus system operating until 2 a.m. Saturday and Sunday after train service ends would carry passengers from San Francisco to the East Bay under a one-year pilot program being recommended by the transit agency.

The buses would serve select stations along the Pittsburg-Bay Point and Fremont lines, picking up passengers in The City at stops along Market Street starting at Van Ness Avenue. Duplicating BART’s nighttime train schedule, the buses would run every 20 minutes, and passengers could reach their destinations nearly as fast as if they were on a train, said Paul Oversier, the agency’s assistant general manager.

Unlike current late-night bus service, passengers could reach a majority of their destinations without having to make transfers, Oversier said. About 25 to 30 people are expected to take each bus out of San Francisco.

BART would outsource the bus service to AC Transit and County Connection, two East Bay operators. Oversier said both carriers support the plan. There is no proposal to travel out to Richmond, since AC Transit currently has late-night bus lines serving that area.

Several efforts to run BART trains later on weekend nights have been rebuffed because the agency says maintenance crews must perform crucial trackway work during those hours.

“BART is tapped out in terms of service hours,” Oversier said. “But it’s not really BART that people want, it’s the service characteristics. And we can duplicate those with late-night buses.”

Overall, the bus service is expected to cost $800,000. Alameda and Contra Costa counties would pay $500,000, BART would pay $200,000 and the rest would be covered by fares.

Bob Franklin, a BART board member who has been a longtime supporter of late-night service, said the bus program would “provide workers and the late-night crowd with an easy-to-understand, expandable transit option after BART closes.”

Tom Radulovich, another BART director, also praised the program, although he said it would be better if buses also traveled to San Francisco International Airport and went in both directions between the East Bay and The City. Still, he said the proposal is a good start.

If the plan is approved — BART’s board of directors and other regional bodies must sign off on it — service could begin by September.

wreisman@sfexaminer.com

Late Night Services

BART is seeking to add late-night bus service from The City to the East Bay, starting when train service ends until 2 a.m. Saturdays and Sundays.

Cost: $5

Frequency: Every 20 minutes

Routes:

Pittsburg-Bay Point line would depart from San Francisco and stop at Rockridge, Walnut Creek, Pleasant Hill and Pittsburg-Bay Point
Fremont line would depart from San Francisco and stop at Lake Merritt, Fruitvale, Bay Fair, Hayward, Union City and Fremont
Stops would coincide with pickup points on AC Transit’s Transbay Route 800 line along Market Street starting at Van Ness Avenue
Source: BART

Read more at the San Francisco Examiner: http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/tran...#ixzz1uVMgwaeK

Not as good as 24 hour train service, but it's a step in the right direction. What's annoying, aside from the fact that it will only be on weekends, is that the buses will only run until 2 am. If BART is going to finally do a late night transit option, can't they at least make it actually run every night, ALL night, or at least for an hour or two after the 2am last call, instead of stopping service right at 2am? Seems like it's a completely half-assed way to address a real problem, and it entirely misses one of the main issues with BART's limited hours: that lots of people get stuck on the wrong side of the bay after bars/clubs close, with no transit options available aside from maybe a few random bus lines, taxis, or driving. Of course there are tons of other people who would benefit from 24 hour BART service, or at least later service than 2am, as well.

Two extra hours of service on weekends is nice, even if it's on a bus instead of a train...but goddamn BART, just go all the way and do full 7-days-a-week, 24 hour service, will you?

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 12:32 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Let's be clear--the Bay Area already has a region-wide system of overnight buses, including cross-Bay service, called the Allnighter system. Allnighter is a collaborative effort run by Muni, AC Transit, SamTrans, and VTA. This BART proposal is in addition to Allnighter service.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
Let's be clear--the Bay Area already has a region-wide system of overnight buses, including cross-Bay service, called the Allnighter system. Allnighter is a collaborative effort run by Muni, AC Transit, SamTrans, and VTA. This BART proposal is in addition to Allnighter service.
True enough.

I just saw that headline and got all excited with visions of BART running buses along all its lines, all night, every night...and then I read the article and got all disappointed.

It would be nice to have late night/24 hour bay area-wide transit options that don't involve so much transferring between different systems, and preferably involving trains of course, but at least we do have the Allnighter service and possibly these new BART buses to go along with it now.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 10:49 AM

I've caught the last train from the East Bay at 12:50 numerous times. This is adding an hour of service time for 800k? If that's the case, seems like a waste of money to me. They could still work on the tracks after 2am couldn't they?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2012, 4:43 AM
Sonoma Strong

Here's a project related to road transportation that has flown under many people's radar:

Work has started to widen 6 mile-long Jameson Canyon Rd (CA 12) in Napa/Solano Counties from a two-lane road to a divided highway with two lanes in each direction. All Napa Co work will be complete by 2013, Solano by 2015. The road currently is notoriously congested and dangerous.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

The Interchange with CA 29 will either be a single point interchange or a tight diamond interchange:

All images CALTRANS: http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist4/document...oncanyonfinal/

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 4:39 PM
Sonoma Strong

The new SF Bay Bridge east span's cable compaction is now complete. They are now installing the suspender cables. The bridge is scheduled to open Labor Day 2013.

Video Link

http://www.mtc.ca.gov/news/current_t...fobb_cable.htm

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 6:04 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Those are cool shots. Thanks for posting them, northbay.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 8:05 PM
Only Mostly Dead

For any locals interested in the Central Corridor Plan (ie: increased SOMA development around the Central Subway line), there are public updates planned for today and tomorrow. From my inbox:

Quote:
Central Corridor Project Update

This week, we will be making two public presentations of the preferred concepts for the Central Corridor Plan:

- Wednesday, June 20th at the Historic Preservation Commission, Room 400 at City Hall (Agenda)
- Thursday, June 21st at the Planning Commission, Room 400 at City Hall (Agenda)

These meetings will largely cover the same material presented at last week's public workshop. You can view the presentations and boards here: http://centralcorridor.sfplanning.org.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation