HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Cardero in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 6:29 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

The Cardero | 81m | 26Fl | Completed

Bosa has teamed up with Henriquez and Partners on redeveloping the old 3 storey commercial building on the NE corner of Georgia and Cardero.

Quote:
a 26-storey building with a proposed floor space ratio (FSR) of 10.83;
a total of 184 residential units;
ground-level commercial space;
three floors of office space;
seven levels of underground parking; and
a height of 80.8 m (265 ft.)

Project Statistics
http://former.vancouver.ca/commsvcs/...rojectdata.pdf

Site and Context Plan
http://former.vancouver.ca/commsvcs/...xtsiteplan.pdf

Parking Plans
http://former.vancouver.ca/commsvcs/...ts/parking.pdf

Floor and Roof Plans
http://former.vancouver.ca/commsvcs/...rroofplans.pdf

Building Elevations
http://former.vancouver.ca/commsvcs/...elevations.pdf

Building Sections
http://former.vancouver.ca/commsvcs/...s/sections.pdf

Shadow Studies
http://former.vancouver.ca/commsvcs/...dowstudies.pdf

Building Perspectives
http://former.vancouver.ca/commsvcs/...rspectives.pdf

Parking Statistics
http://former.vancouver.ca/commsvcs/...rkingstats.pdf

Landscape Plans
http://former.vancouver.ca/commsvcs/.../landscape.pdf

Glad to see retail plus 3 additional floors of office space so there will be an increase in commercial space although modest.

Last edited by jlousa; Aug 19, 2014 at 6:55 AM.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 6:35 AM

Cool! (Not at all substantial, sorry.)

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 8:18 AM

i would like to see a few more floors, 30-32 but i like the look of the building.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 10:09 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

wow looks great! and the 3 floors of office is nice.

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 1:23 PM

very nice. was expecting your typical glass tower.

here are some screenshots from the PDF above

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 1:37 PM
More Towers

It's a great design for the entrance into the downtown from Stanley Park/Lions Gate.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 4:28 PM

I.m.o.

The window design is rather striking, and the building is neither too overpoweringly big for the location, nor too undersized.
Also, if the colour is true to the renders, the white will add an upbeat element. The city could do worse. Good infill. Go for it.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 4:41 PM

Great tower for this area, but it could have been a bit taller since it's such an open space right now. Perhaps a taller tower on the place of the WhiteSpot will help later on, as the new Bosa project that is being planned.

It's not a very attractive location to be living in, right next to the biggest intersection in Downtown. Very noisy and lots of traffic pollution.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
It's not a very attractive location to be living in, right next to the biggest intersection in Downtown. Very noisy and lots of traffic pollution.
Good point, and which might explain why office uses have inhabited that intersection before. Not every location need be residential, especially when livability is notably affected.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 6:46 PM
ON3P Skis

I think this looks fantastic. I've been waiting to see that corner redeveloped for a long time. Love the fact that office will be a component of the project. Not really sure while some of you don't think it's an attractive place to be. Sure, if you're on one of the lower floors it may be busy during the day, but it's actually fairly quiet at that intersection outside of business hours and rush hour. The first couple floors are office anyways. I'm sure there is much more noise around Yaletown in the evenings than there is here, and you'd really only have to worry about that on the south facade of the building. Otherwise, you're living a block from the Seawall, two and a half blocks from Whole Foods, and 500m from Stanley Park? What's not to love?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 6:58 PM

This looks very nice, I'd be happy with this in Vancouver.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 8:14 PM
More Towers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenegade View Post
I think this looks fantastic. I've been waiting to see that corner redeveloped for a long time. Love the fact that office will be a component of the project. Not really sure while some of you don't think it's an attractive place to be. Sure, if you're on one of the lower floors it may be busy during the day, but it's actually fairly quiet at that intersection outside of business hours and rush hour. The first couple floors are office anyways. I'm sure there is much more noise around Yaletown in the evenings than there is here, and you'd really only have to worry about that on the south facade of the building. Otherwise, you're living a block from the Seawall, two and a half blocks from Whole Foods, and 500m from Stanley Park? What's not to love?
Urban Fare, not Whole Foods

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 8:30 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Looks great to me!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm2013 View Post
Urban Fare, not Whole Foods
There is a Whole Foods on Robson Street which will be the closest grocery store to this tower.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 8:49 PM

Although this will already be a great addition to the area, I am so excited to see what will eventually replace that small building in the center of Pender and Georgia (behind that tiny green space). That slot warrants a daring landmark building as a gate to Downtown.

It will also be nice to see some 40+ floor towers go up on the south side of Georgia Street in the next 5 years. It seems that after Downtown South is now getting built out, Downtown West will be next in line.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 9:00 PM

Love the initial look of this building. Would't mind seeing it go higher, as it is quite unique, but given its location on the street this one will turn heads regardless of a few more stories or not.

I do have some concerns about the north facing facade though, I hope it doesn't clash too much with the much more interesting south and E/W facades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Good point, and which might explain why office uses have inhabited that intersection before. Not every location need be residential, especially when livability is notably affected.
Well the tower does seem to replace and add a bit of office, so there is no loss and what looks like a gain. It's important to note what makes a good office location too, just because an intersection is noisy and busy doesn't make it good. This area has relatively poor transit integration, few business amenities and is quite disconnected from the rest of the commercial core. It will work well as a small office space in a mixed use project, but it would be difficult to attract the large scale users needed to fill a large scale office building here.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 9:19 PM

My initial thought is that the Bjarke Ingels project may have influenced the design of these decks. If this asymmetric angular design becomes the next Vancouver trend for a few years and a few buildings, it will be some interesting diversity.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 10:25 PM
See ya down under, mates

This is replacing the Securiguard building? Too bad it can't be the parking lot kitty corner.

Looks great though. I had a friend who lived just a bit down the street on Pender and it was very pleasant. I'd love to live there.

Calling it infill is ridiculous too. This is a great design on a high profile corner.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 12:12 AM

Nice looking tower - agreed that it has likely been influenced by the current crop of beehive balconied building around
(not just Vancouver House) - lots of sun shading on the south and west sides with the balconies.
The sunless north side also has balconies - regular ones - which creates a bit of a disjuncture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Although this will already be a great addition to the area, I am so excited to see what will eventually replace that small building in the center of Pender and Georgia (behind that tiny green space). That slot warrants a daring landmark building as a gate to Downtown.

It will also be nice to see some 40+ floor towers go up on the south side of Georgia Street in the next 5 years. It seems that after Downtown South is now getting built out, Downtown West will be next in line.
I agree that the "flatiron" site should be the most prominent in the area - sooo...

I think this one maybe a bit close to the curb and "crowding" the intersection - although it's a very wide intersection in the E-W dimension.

West of the site, Georgia projects reflect the park-like setting with large open gardens, etc (tower in the park I know).
At Cardero that changes - with the back of 1500 West Georgia and the Georgian Towers a block up.

I'm thinking that the combination of 1500 West Georgia and this one makes for a narrowly spaced "gateway" into the core -
and it even blocks the flatiron site a bit.

I think the tower should be set back a bit from Georgia St. - that would reflect the angling of Pender to the north
(the fork in the road is assymmetrical, so a setback would also defer to Pender veering to the north and open some perspectives.

(I do note that the NW corner of the site is crossed by a statutory RoW for the streetcar,
but that's minor, and the tower can still be moved to the north.)

http://former.vancouver.ca/commsvcs/...xtsiteplan.pdf

1500 West Georgia is 263ft compared to this proposal at 265ft.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?psj=1&ba...ed=0CB8QxB0wAA

Last edited by officedweller; Aug 20, 2014 at 12:46 AM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 1:04 AM

I like it. The facade looks like a derivative of Vancouver House.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver