HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

The Sky One in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

View Full Map

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKellarDweller View Post
^ Good thought.

To spin my broken record again... A grocery store here would be GREAT.

I understand conventional grocery store margins are thin, but I'm really at a loss why more companies aren't doing urban format grocery stores like Sobeys Urban fresh in Tribeca, or the Farm Boy on McRae - at least in urban grocery store deserts.
And a grocery store at Carling and Preston could probably charge ~10% more than a typical grocery store and still get plenty of customers anyway, so the business case is probably fairly solid.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
And a grocery store at Carling and Preston could probably charge ~10% more than a typical grocery store and still get plenty of customers anyway, so the business case is probably fairly solid.
So in other words, a Sobeys?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 5:41 PM

More or less. The Sobeys Urban Fresh format charges above-market rates for many products with the goal of providing an above-average experience. The Sobeys Urban Fresh on Metcalfe is the one of the nicest grocery stores I've ever been in. With a store that nice, and it being a very convenient option for nearby residents who live carless, it can get away with charging more.

My brother lives about 100 metres from the Independent at Bank and Somerset but he does pretty much all of his shopping at Sobeys, even though it's both further away (1 minute walk vs. maybe a 6 or 7 minute walk) and more expensive, because the Sobeys is so much nicer.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
More or less. The Sobeys Urban Fresh format charges above-market rates for many products with the goal of providing an above-average experience. The Sobeys Urban Fresh on Metcalfe is the one of the nicest grocery stores I've ever been in. With a store that nice, and it being a very convenient option for nearby residents who live carless, it can get away with charging more.

My brother lives about 100 metres from the Independent at Bank and Somerset but he does pretty much all of his shopping at Sobeys, even though it's both further away (1 minute walk vs. maybe a 6 or 7 minute walk) and more expensive, because the Sobeys is so much nicer.
I wasn't referring to the Urban Fresh format stores. Even the regular Sobeys are a bit more expensive than other chains, but, similar to your brother, I do shop there more often than the local YIG, mostly for convenience. Not only is it a bit closer, but the size and layout are better. For example, most grocery stores put the milk in the farthest corner in hopes that you will see something else (maybe some clothes or even a TV) and buy it (one has to wonder how long it will be before Loblaws starts selling cars in their Superstores). At Sobeys it is on the back wall, but in the middle of the store. The entrance is also in the middle of the store, so you can easily bypass sections you don't need.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 11:15 AM

As I mentioned in the Icon thread, I will likely be able to see Icon, and the 2 taller towers from this development going up from my back yard/house (I live south of Brookfield road), as I have an almost unobstructed view of that part of Ottawa from my neighbourhood (well, to the west, north-west of the Canada post building). Should be cool to see them all on the horizon in the future...

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 7:55 PM

Sent this earlier but this is the response I got. Seems like this project is dead.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 8:42 PM

I don't think it's dead, just dormant. I assume they are just focusing on smaller (relatively) projects in areas with less competition, like Rideau. They usually just do one condo building at a time.

I think it might take 10-15 years before this one is launched. It's quite a large project for Richcraft. Or they might end up selling the project (and increased height) to another developer in a few years.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 5:22 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalmuffins View Post

Sent this earlier but this is the response I got. Seems like this project is dead.
Welcome to the forum!

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 10:52 PM

Otto's BMW has moved back to their original newly renovated location on Hunt Club road. Talked to a guy in a Richcraft pick up on site and nothing is happening on this site soon. He did let me know which project will most likely be next. See the post on that thread

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa