HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 9:57 PM

Guys, read this crap from InsideRealEstateNews regarding the Redpeak development in Highlands:

Shepherd reconsiders RedPeak downzoning

These people are insane!!! I want Redpeak to build the five story buildings and give the neighborhood a flipping bird!!!!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 10:09 PM

That's amazing

People are nuts. Kudos to Susan Shepherd for her response.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 10:15 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

I can't condone that sort of behavior, obviously. Ridiculous.

But at the same time, what do we expect? When we give people the impression that it's okay to act above the law on some things - that they aren't subject to the same processes as the rest of us, that it's okay to blatantly lie and deceive to get what you want - what makes you think they'll know when they're crossing a line; know which rules finally do apply to them? It never should have been allowed to get this far, and if they hadn't been given a forum legitimizing their nonsense, it never would have. They're Swiftboater types. I'm not exactly surprised that a few got carried away.

Kudos also to RedPeak for just riding this thing out.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 10:15 PM

That really is disgusting... I thought one of the most telling lines in the article was this one: "To downzone property against the wishes of the owner, requires a super majority of 10 of the remaining votes." What these people don't understand is that the purpose of zoning laws is to STABILIZE real estate values; re-zoning land for the purpose of changing property values should ethically ONLY be done when it will benefit all properties involved. The "No Highrises" people say that a 5-story building will devalue their properties, which is a flat out lie, since appraisers base their appraisals on zoning and what could be built and not on existing structures (which is a big part of the reason we have zoning in the first place).

What these people really want is an artificial boost in property value at the expense of their neighbor. I suppose in a way I am saying the same thing that has been said by others, but THIS is also why a downzoning would send such a negative message to the market about the land value stability of vacant land around the city.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 11:04 PM
cities|transit|croissants

So I haven't really been following this. Let me get it straight...
  1. Highlands NIMBYs want a rezoning to stop a 5 story building.
  2. City Councilwoman from Highlands is planning to be their champion and attempt to pass legislation that would rezone the property.
  3. Despite City Councilwoman giving the NIMBYs what they want, they want to recall her.
  4. NIMBYs stalk City Councilwoman at her home and get in a shouting match.
  5. City Councilwoman decides not to give NIMBYs what they want, because she doesn't want to reward bullies.
Is that what happened? They wanted to recall her even though she was planning to give them what they want?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 11:11 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

That pretty much summarizes it, yeah. She wasn't quite passionate enough about their cause apparently. The fact that she would even pause to consider whether their point made any sense, and ask around to get a broad swath of community input, proved to them, I guess, that she wasn't in touch enough with their concerns. Sort of tragic really. Good for her, though. As they say, America doesn't negotiate with terrorists (imagine bunt with a Texas accent). (joke)

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 11:24 PM
ColoRADo

Remember, her "passion" for their cause is lip service. 10 votes is nearly impossible and she knows it. Good for her for not being bullied.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhomeDenver View Post
Guys, read this crap from InsideRealEstateNews regarding the Redpeak development in Highlands:

Shepherd reconsiders RedPeak downzoning

These people are insane!!! I want Redpeak to build the five story buildings and give the neighborhood a flipping bird!!!!
Again, that group is almost entirely composed of a few (rather insane) busy-body's in the neighborhood.

Honestly, most people in the neighborhood (if the talk at El Camino two weeks ago is any indication) really no longer give a damn about the whole thing. It seems that business owners are the ones really up in arms, particularly since it threatens to make parking more difficult (a cause to which I am completely unsympathetic).

I still think the buildings are out of character (I haven't seen the new renderings just massings). Otherwise.. definitely file me under the "no longer care" category.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Asked if she had spoken to fellow city council members about downzoning, she said that some council members who have seen numerous threatening emails to her, have indicated that even though they might think that five stories are too high for those parcels, they might not support a downzoning because of the tactics of some opponents.
If this is true.. then we really need an entirely new council. Vote on merits, not on the perceived actions of ladies who (according to Sheperd herself) did not make anything resembling a threat other than to recall her (which is certainly the districts right).

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 1:14 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Mispost.

Last edited by bunt_q; Jan 21, 2012 at 1:39 AM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 3:26 AM
no its not...

Mr Post

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 6:55 AM
Ground Scraper

I take what I said about Shepherd back. Thanks for having the sense to say when enough is enough.
"When white people move out of a neighborhood, it's called white flight and it's racist. When white people move back to a neighborhood, it's called gentrification and it's racist. So, white people should just never move." - internet comment

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 8:28 AM

Why are you guys getting so riled up about zoning conflicts in the Highlands? It's a tiny burb of Denver. If their residents put up such a fuss, maybe developers will decide to invest in Arapahoe Square or The Golden Triange instead. Let them bicker; it just means other areas of Denver will benefit in the long run, which is probably more ideal anyway..

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 9:22 AM
of Gnomeregan

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjo13 View Post
Again, that group is almost entirely composed of a few (rather insane) busy-body's in the neighborhood.

Honestly, most people in the neighborhood (if the talk at El Camino two weeks ago is any indication) really no longer give a damn about the whole thing. It seems that business owners are the ones really up in arms, particularly since it threatens to make parking more difficult (a cause to which I am completely unsympathetic).

I still think the buildings are out of character (I haven't seen the new renderings just massings). Otherwise.. definitely file me under the "no longer care" category.
Who are you and where is the Enjo who was cheerleading for these people when they first started this criminal campaign?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 9:24 AM
of Gnomeregan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzdude View Post
Why are you guys getting so riled up about zoning conflicts in the Highlands? It's a tiny burb of Denver. If their residents put up such a fuss, maybe developers will decide to invest in Arapahoe Square or The Golden Triange instead. Let them bicker; it just means other areas of Denver will benefit in the long run, which is probably more ideal anyway..
Well see.. if you make raping a baby legal in a tiny burb somewhere.. people won't want to bring any of their babies the the city which made raping babies in that tiny burb legal.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 3:29 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

You guys see the letter to the editor today from the guy who thinks we should tear down the State Capitol building, rather than preserve it? "an ungainly historic mishmash" "cramped, awkward, and unworthy" "relic that does not deserve salvation" I have to say, that letter brightened my morning.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 4:03 PM
of Gnomeregan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
You guys see the letter to the editor today from the guy who thinks we should tear down the State Capitol building, rather than preserve it? "an ungainly historic mishmash" "cramped, awkward, and unworthy" "relic that does not deserve salvation" I have to say, that letter brightened my morning.
Maybe my affection for the capital building is more familiarity than worthiness but I would hate to see it replaced. Who would we hire and then chase out of town to design a new capital building anyway?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 4:23 PM
Up Up and Away

The comment that the DAM Expansion looks like a Jawa Sandcrawler raised my eyebrow.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 4:34 PM

Letter to the editor in what paper? Seems like a pretty interesting assertion to make considering the interior of the Capitol is literally priceless due to its use of Rose Onyx Marble... yeah let's just tear it down and throw it all away!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 4:49 PM
Up Up and Away

^
Denver Post.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West