HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

The Sky One in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 12:36 AM

176 Nepean St & 293-307 Lisgar St | 90+96m | 25+27f | Proposed

Photo by Future Wicked City

This notice just got posted today. Looks like the 3 storey walk-up immediately east of the Bible House will be demolished for the first tower. The second will occupy the surface parking lot.

Last edited by rocketphish; Dec 8, 2020 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Fixed image link

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 12:40 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Richcraft is proposing to construct two (2) residential towers 27 and 25 storeys tall at 176 Nepean Street and 293-307 Lisgar Street, connected by a structure at the third storey, with shared amenity space and six (6) levels of underground parking.

The North Tower along Nepean Street contains 252 residential units in 27 storeys on a floorplate of 650 m2, the South Tower along Lisgar Street contains 251 units in 25 storeys on a floorplate of 650 m2, while a structure adjoining both towers contains 18 residential units as well as a shared fourth storey rooftop amenity space, for a total of 521 units and a total GFA of 29,161 m2. A maximum potential total of 282 underground parking spaces are proposed on levels P1 through P6. A total of 470 bicycle parking spaces are also proposed. Residential access to the towers will be from lobbies via Lisgar Street and Nepean Street.

Architect: Graziani + Corazza Architects Inc.

Development application:
https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...BA9DI7/details

Site:

Renderings:

Last edited by rocketphish; Dec 8, 2020 at 12:53 AM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 12:43 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Richcraft plans pair of residential highrises near corner of Bank and Lisgar

By: OBJ staff
Published: Dec 7, 2020 3:19pm EST

Ottawa-based Richcraft Homes wants to build two residential highrises of 25 and 27 storeys just east of the corner of Bank and Lisgar streets in the latest plan from a major developer to add more density to the downtown core.

Toronto firm Graziani & Corazza Architects designed the distinctive-looking highrises, which would have nine-storey podiums and be connected at the third floor with a link that would feature a shared rooftop amenity area. The development would include a total of 521 suites in a mix of studio, one-, two- and three-bedroom units.

A development application recently filed with the city doesn’t specify if the units would be rentals or condos. Richcraft did not immediately respond to a request for more information from OBJ on Monday.

Officially known as 176 Nepean St. and 293-307 Lisgar St., the property between Bank and O’Connor streets is currently occupied by a two-storey residential dwelling, a surface parking lot and a community garden.

The plan also calls for six storeys of underground parking with space for 282 vehicles and 470 bicycles.

In addition to seeking an amendment to raise the maximum heights allowed under current zoning, Richcraft wants the city to allow it to reserve some spots in the garage for paid public parking.

“Considering the subject property’s proximity amenities on Bank Street and to the relatively new Parliament and Lyon LRT Stations, and as parking demand in the downtown core tends to be trending downwards..., it is difficult at this time to ascertain the market demands for resident parking,” the application says.

Richcraft says that while 30 parking spaces will be reserved for visitors, the rest of the spots will be allocated to residents or paid public parking “based on emerging market trends.”

The developer is also asking permission for reduced setbacks and less separation between the towers than current zoning requires.

City staff say they’re targeting a March date for the planning committee to consider the application.

https://www.obj.ca/article/real-esta...orner-bank-and

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 1:01 AM

Cool design, but 25 and 27 stories?!? FFS OTTAWA!!!!!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 2:51 AM

only 27/25.. At first I'm disappointed then I realize that at 96 & 90 meters, that seems pretty decent.. that's as tall as Soho Italia having 30.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 3:06 AM

It's actually not bad. The renders are rather basic so we'll have to see what it looks like with better texturing. I like what they're doing with the entrance and the first 3 floors. I am a bit concerned about the west side with those panels. It will have quite an impact when viewed from Bank Street due to its size and how small the heritage buildings on Bank are. I doubt we'd see anything significant that would redevelop those and cover up some of the west side. I would prefer they do something more interesting for that side that the least. Better if they could acquire those adjacent buildings but see to renovating them (keep all but the little house and renovate the small apartment building so it has a more flattering third floor). Lord knows they could use some TLC. This way, if everything is included as part of the project they could do something more interesting with the West side and revamp this section of Bank.

Too many parking spaces! 282 spots for 521 units = 54% of units have parking, but it's right downtown.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 5:24 AM

I like it. Doesn't look like your typical Ottawa design.

On a side note, I see the architect has the Sky project at Preston and Carling listed in their portfolio.

https://www.gc-architects.com/projec...g-preston.html

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 7:18 AM

Not a fan of the massing. Too bulky.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 2:20 PM

Finally, something for this block! Its been a wasteland for FAR too long, and the latest grey blob at 287 Lisgar is *not* great.

I like the look from Nepean or Lisgar. Agreed its a lot of panelling facing Bank, but a refreshing change from the norm.

What about the two properties to the east on Nepean? Can we just...gift...them to the developer? They've been in a state of partial collapse and a homeless hideout for about 10 years now. The brick literally fell off these homes about 5 years ago.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 2:29 PM

On its own, it looks like a solid project, but when considering context, I'm no fan. Far too tall for its proximity to Bank and heritage buildings.

I would limit the north tower to 12 floors and the south tower at 20, with generous spacing between the towers and adjacent buildings (with the assistance of a 4 storey podium).

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 3:59 PM

Hmm interesting proposal, not sure how I feel about it yet. The height was to be expected, I knew we wouldn't get any higher than that.

The design is.. different.. and interesting. It's not like the other 10 proposals going up in town right now which is nice, but that's a lot of paneling which will be visible from Bank St. I'm guessing they aren't proposing more windows on that side in case the lot next door (or on Bank) get built up one day too?

Again, nice to see added height and density in Centretown where office, retail, transit, infrastructure already exists (vs building these at Trim Road). I disagree about comments about too high close to Bank St. If the strategy is not to build high rises on Bank St to keep it the vibe as "traditional main street", then the next best alternative is a block or so next to it. This is literally prime downtown central location, height should be expected.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 4:22 PM
ハルウララ

The Ottawa tabletop will never be defeated.

Good addition for Centretown: re # of units, residents, and density, but probably a poor addition for design and skyline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Again, nice to see added height and density in Centretown where office, retail, transit, infrastructure already exists (vs building these at Trim Road). I disagree about comments about too high close to Bank St. If the strategy is not to build high rises on Bank St to keep it the vibe as "traditional main street", then the next best alternative is a block or so next to it. This is literally prime downtown central location, height should be expected.
If the height setback rule is used for Bank then it should definitely be used for Elgin, too, and at which point you'd basically be building nothing taller than 15s between the two. IMO, the Byward should be protected from these sorts of heights, but Centretown directly south of CBD is fair game.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
The Ottawa tabletop will never be defeated.

Good addition for Centretown: re # of units, residents, and density, but probably a poor addition for design and skyline.

If the height setback rule is used for Bank then it should definitely be used for Elgin, too, and at which point you'd basically be building nothing taller than 15s between the two. IMO, the Byward should be protected from these sorts of heights, but Centretown directly south of CBD is fair game.
All areas between the 417 and Laurier, and Kent - Elgin should be fair game (20-50 stories), with the single lots adjacent to Elgin, Bank and Kent being reserved for existing low-rise heritage or low-rise new construction (<6 stories)

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 5:20 PM

Centretown's skyline will be two steps closer to looking like the Kowloon Walled City

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownandDown View Post
Finally, something for this block! Its been a wasteland for FAR too long, and the latest grey blob at 287 Lisgar is *not* great.

I like the look from Nepean or Lisgar. Agreed its a lot of panelling facing Bank, but a refreshing change from the norm.

What about the two properties to the east on Nepean? Can we just...gift...them to the developer? They've been in a state of partial collapse and a homeless hideout for about 10 years now. The brick literally fell off these homes about 5 years ago.
Hey! I happen to inhabit that grey blob at 287 Lisgar But I do agree with your assessment of it, along with the rest of your post. The block is a pretty uninviting wasteland apart from the Claridge and Soho buildings.

One of the buildings you referred to on Nepean was recently demolished, but other remains.

All in all, I would love to see this built in its current form. I'll always prefer slimmer and rounder towers, but apparently those are illegal in Ottawa.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannwagon View Post
Hey! I happen to inhabit that grey blob at 287 Lisgar But I do agree with your assessment of it, along with the rest of your post. The block is a pretty uninviting wasteland apart from the Claridge and Soho buildings.

One of the buildings you referred to on Nepean was recently demolished, but other remains.

All in all, I would love to see this built in its current form. I'll always prefer slimmer and rounder towers, but apparently those are illegal in Ottawa.
This is definitely a very mid-Toronto building in design and floor-plate size. It's just 1/3 the height that it should be (to your 'slimmer' point)

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 7:39 PM

Bank might end up looking like this stretch of Yonge, with towers abutting heritage stock commercial/apartment buildings, but on a much smaller scale of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 11:09 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Bank might end up looking like this stretch of Yonge, with towers abutting heritage stock commercial/apartment buildings, but on a much smaller scale of course.
Perhaps if the towers were twice as tall.

Bank has the same general bones as Yonge so it makes sense that there's potential to be had. A lot of the recent infill developments along Bank are usually 6-10 storeys, though, of which there aren't that many along Yonge. I think it's pretty important for Bank to maintain its retail, 2-4 storey presence and, as like with Yonge, having the towers abut side streets just off the main street. If you build towers on the street you'll be removing a lot of that smaller, more local retail offerings in exchange for big box, more corporate stores.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Perhaps if the towers were twice as tall.

Bank has the same general bones as Yonge so it makes sense that there's potential to be had. A lot of the recent infill developments along Bank are usually 6-10 storeys, though, of which there aren't that many along Yonge. I think it's pretty important for Bank to maintain its retail, 2-4 storey presence and, as like with Yonge, having the towers abut side streets just off the main street. If you build towers on the street you'll be removing a lot of that smaller, more local retail offerings in exchange for big box, more corporate stores.
I was opposed to these towers being so close to Bank, but looking at Yonge, it might not be so bad. As you say, the City absolutely needs to preserve the human scale retail offering along Bank. Best if they unequivocally protect the existing heritage building stock

Old Posted Jan 29, 2023, 4:01 AM

Where is this one at now?
Also curious how it'd work alongside this one: https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...2-0188/details

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa