HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 2:02 AM
Movin' on up

^ Tagalog?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 3:01 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Probably one of the sexiest (if not, THE sexiest) airports in Canada, once finished.
they might as well call it the best looking airport terminal

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 3:37 AM
iron ring

The extra fees on a ticket come from several sources. Three typical examples:

Winnipeg-Calgary:
base fare $254 (goes to the airline)
Navcan and insurance surcharge $36 (goes to the airline)
Airport improvement fee $40 (goes to YWG/YYC airport authorities)
Security surcharge $9.33 (goes to government)
GST $16.97 (to government)

Winnipeg-Atlanta:
base fare $376 (to the airline)
Navcan and insurance surcharge $15 (to the airline)
Airport improvement fee $20 (to YWG airport authority)
US transport tax $30.84 (to US government)
US agriculture fee $5.01 (to US government)
Security surcharge $7.94 (to Canadian government)
US passenger facility charge $4.51 (to ATL airport)
GST $23.20 (to Canadian government)
Security fee $7.51 (to US government)
US immigration and customs fee $7.01 (to US government)

Winnipeg-London:
base fare $628 (to airline)
fuel surcharge $248 (to airline)
Airport improvement fee $20 (to YWG airport authority)
security surcharge $17 (to Canadian government)
UK passenger charge $28.09 (I think to UK government, or airport authority)
GST $1 (to Canada government)
UK air passenger duty $78.58

A couple of things to notice about these -
1) a lot of the extra fees (fuel surcharges, insurance and navigation fees) are actually levied by the airlines, so that they can advertise lower fares. The fees are not directly linked to the surcharge, the money goes directly on the airlines books. Unfortunately if one carrier does it, everyone does it to be competitive... but in my view it's kind of misleading, and I ignore advertised prices and just look at final price quotes. It's the same kind of garbage as gas stations advertising 3.5 cents per litre discounts...
2) The Canadian government doesn't appear to be as bad about taxes as elsewhere. In fact on the overseas flight above, GST is only charged on the airport improvement charge, not on any portion of the base fare. Not just the total amount of fees charged in the US, but also the number of fees, seems kind of surprising to me.
3) The airport fees are directly charged by the airport authority, and just collected by the carrier. Depending on the way you look at this, this could either be just another shell game that gives appealingly low fees for a carrier to use the airport, or is a more transparent way of showing what it costs to build and maintain infrastructure. However since it is charged directly by the airports and not the airlines, I'm more accepting of these than surcharges that airlines use to avoid admitting it's part of the airfare.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 7:57 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
^ Tagalog?
Yes, but I can barely understand it.

*is Filipino*

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 4:54 PM

Canada Post expected to name site for distribution centre

Canada Post has scheduled a news conference for this morning where the Crown corporation is expected to announce the location of its new distribution centre.

The announcement at 11 a.m. will be held at Winnipeg Richardson International Airport -- seen as the prime location for the new facility since Canada Post announced it will shut down its downtown headquarters on Graham Avenue.

The news conference will be attended by Steven Fletcher, MP for Charleswood-St. James-Assiniboia, Andrew Swan, Manitoba minister of competitiveness, training and trade, Winnipeg Mayor Sam Katz, Barry Rempel, president and CEO of the Winnipeg Airports Authority, and Bill Davidson, general manager and senior lead for Western Canada Postal Transformation.

Canada Post announced in November it plans to sell its downtown property and move into two new facilities, to be built elsewhere in the city.

It's expected Canada Post won't be ready to move before the fall of 2009.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 5:24 PM

Canada Post to deliver new sorting plant near airport in 2010

CANADA Post will build its new prairie mail-sorting plant kitty-corner to the Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport, the Crown corporation announced this morning.

Canada Post said today the 250,000 square-foot building represents a $50-million investment in the city.

The agency is to leave its downtown Graham Avenue building when the new building is complete in June 2010.

It will be built on a 27-acre piece of land off Wellington Avenue, just east of the new airport complex, which is currently under construction.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 5:27 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post

CANADA Post will build its new prairie mail-sorting plant kitty-corner to the Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport, the Crown corporation announced this morning.

Canada Post said today the 250,000 square-foot building represents a $50-million investment in the city.

The agency is to leave its downtown Graham Avenue building when the new building is complete in June 2010.

It will be built on a 27-acre piece of land off Wellington Avenue, just east of the new airport complex, which is currently under construction.
That's interesting. Not exactly near the perimeter as the previous articles were referring to, but just inside city limits.

Now expect to get your grandma's box of cookies from the JAR in a couple years time.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 5:38 PM
ILYR

Quote:

It will be interesting if this has any impact on the already growing cargo business at the airport. Perhaps by chosing this location they have other big plans that will fit in with existing cargo business, such as Purolator (which Canada Post owns).

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 7:11 PM
What could go wrong?

I was at the announcement today. The airport is sure going to be something in a few years - brand new air terminal, new bus terminal, new hotel, new office building and now new mail processing facility. They are also improving the transit service - no details on how yet.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 7:22 PM

Standard Aero, Bristol, Boeing are all talking about expansion as well

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 7:53 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Standard Aero, Bristol, Boeing are all talking about expansion as well
Standard Aero has confirmed they are expanding their CF-34 engine testing facility - $10 mil, 80,000 sq ft on Flight Rd this spring.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 11:48 PM
BANNED

Just checked out the preliminaries of this project; very impressive.

Nice job Winnipeg.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2008, 4:21 PM
Movin' on up

Does anyone know if they are still planning to build that airport expressway to the perrimeter highway, like they had lined out in planWinnipeg (or something like that)?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2008, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I was at the announcement today. The airport is sure going to be something in a few years - brand new air terminal, new bus terminal, new hotel, new office building and now new mail processing facility. They are also improving the transit service - no details on how yet.
That's outstanding. The aiport campus is going to be something else. I'm still a very large proponent of creating an "IMAGE ROUTE", out from the airport. That stretch along Century between St. Matthews and Ness is hideous. Rusted out chain link fence, cascading a view into a severely unkept backlane, where weeds stand a few feet taller than trees. Please, lets brick wall ...or log wall ...heck, vinyl wall the whole thing. Bland nothingness is better than the current view.

Economically, this is going to be wonderful for the province. I can't wait until its in action - and then maybe an airport addition will be in the calling by then. Dare to dream.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2008, 12:23 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

So I'm assuming they're still going to use the Administration Building/Control Tower for now, under the logic "if it ain't broke don't fix it" right?

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2008, 2:12 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

looks kinda cool with that tower no?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2008, 5:05 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I was at the announcement today. The airport is sure going to be something in a few years - They are also improving the transit service - no details on how yet.
Maybe an Express route to/from Polo Park Transit Terminal would be nice.

But the cabbies don't like this because it would cut into their dough.

So what I do is tell the cabbie to take me to PP, and then ride WT from there.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2008, 5:07 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Does anyone know if they are still planning to build that airport expressway to the perrimeter highway, like they had lined out in planWinnipeg (or something like that)?
The airport expressway is basically the Western Freeway from the 1968 W.A.T.S. plan., along the Silver Ave. "corridor".

Not going to happen though. The city is too built up for it.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 8:41 PM
ILYR

Fargo businesses push for daily air link to Winnipeg
Last Updated: Tuesday, March 18, 2008 | 1:39 PM CT Comments0Recommend4CBC News
Winnipeg is being eyed as a major international air link for business travellers from Fargo, N.D.

A group of Fargo businesses — including Microsoft, Nokia and Bobcat — is pushing for daily direct air service to Winnipeg that would allow them to tap into Air Canada's international connections.

Brian Walters, president of the Greater Fargo-Moorhead Economic Development Corp., says businesses are looking for more seats on flights leaving the community, increased competition and better schedules and connections for international destinations, including those in Canada.

A daily air link would also benefit Winnipeggers who want to take advantage of the marketplace in Fargo, 350 kilometres south of the Manitoba capital, he said.

"In the health-care industry, in the shopping industry — with the difference in currencies right now … I would say there's equal interest in Winnipeg," he said.

Fargo is served by three air carriers, Walters said: United Airlines, Northwest and Delta, which recently announced it will cease its service to the city of 90,000, and will be replaced by Frontier Service.

Walters said he has already held preliminary meetings with Air Canada and the Winnipeg Airports Authority, and said officials were receptive to the idea.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 2:57 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
I'm not sure actually. Didn't we get an announcement a few months ago about an interchange at Sturgeon and Inkster ? That's not the expressway you're referring to either way but I wonder if it's not some part of a plan to create a corridor to serve the same purpose (whatever exactly that purpose is in this case)

For certain the Airport Expwy as envisioned decades ago is dead but I don't know if it hasn't been resurrected as part of another plan.

That aside, the city appears to be looking at approving development in St. James again (and the West side of the city in general) so we might end up with some sort of high speed corridor anyway. IF that's the case, we can only hope that somebody down at city hall remembers to include a plan for rapid transit ROWs and higher densities.

I'm speculating of course but it does seem to be that the city is moving towards surrounding the airport with industrial development (as per the plans I've seen) and that probably means residential to follow.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan