HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnyderBock View Post
Then the final $5 billion would be allocated to build a subway link from Broadway/I-25 Station to Civic Center Station to Union Station. This should use LRT technology for full integration with all the LRT lines converging on Broadway Station. This also will provide a third route for accessing downtown, relieving the Central Corridor and CPV corridor. Civic Center should have a large underground station built not only to accommodate this, but to also allow for built-in east/west expansion capacity.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/drive?...48918317%22%7D
I'd vote for it, but why a Broadway subway instead of a Colfax subway?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
That's really interesting, especially since people love to cry about how much they want rail service. Yet, you just demonstrated that it doesn't always work out for people, especially if the rail makes too many stops. For me, I live in Jefferson Park, and work in Boulder. I actually prefer to use transit in the form of the Flatiron Flyer. It's less stressful, and I can get stuff done on the bus. But, the bus has an express service that runs every 10 minutes during rush hours, which makes the commuting super fast. One has to think express routes for some of the rail corridors should be explored. In your case, if there was a route that went straight to Union Station, then another express route down to DTC, you probably would have more incentive to take transit.
I live in Stapleton and occasionally take the R line to work in Lone Tree. I look at 3 things: Cost/Time/Hassle. Currently, it takes me around 50 min. on average to drive each way to work, door to door. The R line takes me about an hour and 10 min. door to door. So time savings is out. Cost is out too, since I drive a hybrid ($2.25 round trip for gas vs. $5 (or whatever it is) on the train. So the only plus for me is avoiding the hassle of driving. If the R line weren't so slow between the A line and the Aurora Mall, it would probably be a time saver too.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COtoOC View Post
I live in Stapleton and occasionally take the R line to work in Lone Tree. I look at 3 things: Cost/Time/Hassle. Currently, it takes me around 50 min. on average to drive each way to work, door to door. The R line takes me about an hour and 10 min. door to door. So time savings is out. Cost is out too, since I drive a hybrid ($2.25 round trip for gas vs. $5 (or whatever it is) on the train. So the only plus for me is avoiding the hassle of driving. If the R line weren't so slow between the A line and the Aurora Mall, it would probably be a time saver too.
The A line to downtown, however, makes total sense for me. It saves time, saves on cost (no paying to park), and is hassle free.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
Looks like the other major airport project is getting underway starting next week.......

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/07/0...ction-impacts/

I have mixed feelings about this one. Mostly because I am skeptical the new security layout will speed things up. I don't really feel like things are slow right now at all. Maybe if the layout is done correctly, and new technology is put into place to speed things up.

At the same time, I do think having the Grand Hall open with bars/restaurants/retail will be a cool addition. It will give travelers a great first impression of the airport. Plus, I am always for more restaurants/retail at DIA......
My understanding was that moving the security lines was more for the sake of security. As it is today, someone could park on the curb at arrivals and run in and start shooting down at hundreds of people in the security lines or chuck a bomb over.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COtoOC View Post
My understanding was that moving the security lines was more for the sake of security. As it is today, someone could park on the curb at arrivals and run in and start shooting down at hundreds of people in the security lines or chuck a bomb over.
Totally agree. I am just hoping they put in enough security to keep the pace at current or speed it up with new technologies. Keep in mind they will be eliminating the bridge security as part of this upgrade too. Aside from that concern, I think this project actually has potential to make the Grand Hall more than just a pass-through.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 3:43 AM

Has RTD rolled out transit signal priority yet? I asked the driver on the 10 and she hadn't heard of it.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 4:14 AM
ColoRADo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverDave View Post
Has RTD rolled out transit signal priority yet? I asked the driver on the 10 and she hadn't heard of it.
The City of Denver and RTD have TSP at 10 locations along East Colfax. I also believe there is TSP at an intersection somewhere in Westminster.

There’s also some old toll tag reader TSP on Colorado Blvd. It is not used anymore.

RTD just released a preliminary design plan for speed and reliability improvements along 7 corridors in the region that include TSP (among other treatments).

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANSIT View Post
RTD just released a preliminary design plan for speed and reliability improvements along 7 corridors in the region that include TSP (among other treatments).
Ok, thanks. I was under the impression they were implementing it along all the corridors together. Such a quick and easy improvement, I hope they don't delay it much longer.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 2:52 AM
Robotic Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwk View Post
I'd vote for it, but why a Broadway subway instead of a Colfax subway?
Please note, I was proposing the underground Civic Center Station be designed with built in, east-west subway expansion capacity. There are many reasons as to why Broadway would be built first...

1.) Colfax corridor is having a BRT line constructed. This BRT line will need to be operational and given time to mature, before we can accurately determine the necessity and priority (over other potential projects) for a subway down Colfax.

2.) Broadway Station is a hub station, making it ideal to feed multiple routes into Denver's first subway. If the subway uses LRT's and the track comes up to at-grade and connects into the track at Broadway Station, lines from I-225, SE and SW could all be fed into the Broadway subway as a new entry into downtown and Union Station.

3.) This would relieve congested lines currently using the at-grade downtown Central Corridor loop.

4.) Density along this stretch of Santa Fe/Broadway/Lincoln/Sherman/Logan corridor is high and comparable to anything along Colfax.

5.) Union Station to Broadway Station connects two major hubs together, with a third major hub, Civic Center Station in the middle Colfax Subway would have no natural terminus, unless it ran all the way out to I-225 LRT/A-Line/Peroria Station.

Last edited by SnyderBock; Jul 13, 2018 at 3:04 AM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 4:41 AM

A $700 million groundbreaking does not happen every day

Credit: CBS4/Denver)

‘Creating Jobs’: Magic Johnson Talks About DIA Great Hall Project
July 12, 2018 By Shawn Chitnis/DENVER (CBS4)
Quote:
City leaders and the partners overseeing a massive project to redesign the main terminal at Denver International Airport celebrated the start of the Great Hall Project Thursday with more details on the plans leading up to its completion in 2021.
Remind me who the key players are.
Quote:
Key players for the project including the group of companies that make up Great Hall Partners were inside the terminal speaking about the long-term impact of these improvements. One of those partners is NBA legend Earvin “Magic” Johnson. Ferrovial Airports will be the lead of Great Hall Partners. The company chairman says the project will help keep Denver relevant to a global audience.
Quote of the day:
Quote:
“Standing under these iconic tents,” said Rafael del Pino. “[They] serve as the gateway to this incredible city where the Rocky Mountains meet the world.”
Think about that... where Denver meets the world.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 10:31 PM

There's nothing new here that I could see...

Mayor Michael Hancock seemed to give transportation and mobility short-shrift in today's State of the City address. Oh there were the obligatory buzz-phrases about what the Streetsblog Denver crowd wants to hear but I saw nothing (concrete) beyond a few visionary statements and plans already in place. For those that were hoping for a stepped-up commitment of discretionary spending, all I heard were references to the now-named 'Elevate Denver Bonds' passed last year and a hope that the Denver Chamber's statewide proposal for new transportation taxes passes in November. The only exception would be some additional nickel and dime stuff, like sidewalk repairs in neighborhoods for example.

Perhaps I'm putting the cart before the horse a bit as Denveright/Denver Moves final report and recommendations are still pending. It seems though that any new discretionary funds will address other priorities and that additional funding for transit/mobility will have to be approved by voters - which is what I had suspected all along.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 3:21 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Another southern metropolis smaller & less urban than Denver is considering a downtown light rail subway. This time Charlotte.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Another southern metropolis smaller & less urban than Denver is considering a downtown light rail subway. This time Charlotte.
Sounds like an underground pipe-dream.

Politics is a Fickle Mistress

Transit Systems Face Shortfalls After State Budget Cut
By DAVID BORAKS • JUL 3, 2018/WFAE
Quote:
State funding for public transportation was cut 26 percent in the budget passed last month by the Republican-controlled General Assembly. That has local agencies like Charlotte Area Transit System scrambling to replace the funds.

Lawmakers shrank the size of the State Maintenance Assistance Program, which helps local bus and transit systems pay for things like drivers' salaries, fuel, insurance and vehicle maintenance.
How will this affect Charlotte?
Quote:
In the fiscal year that ended June 30, CATS got about $11.1 million from the state. This year, it's getting $3.2 million less, or a cut of about 29 percent. The big question is whether CATS - and other affected agencies - will have to reduce service.
Denver is fortunate they created RTD decades ago. Metro funded transportation is working very well for Phoenix and Seattle. At this point RTD could use more funding but still it's in (relatively) good shape.

Denver has their city eyes on funding better transit/mobility options some day; meanwhile, there will be 5 different ballot proposals for increased taxes supporting various causes this November. The proposal to fund parks, trails and open space with a .25 percent sales tax should pass easily; dunno about the others.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 7:06 PM
Never Dell

Seattle's system isn't that admirable. It's much more disjointed than RTD. We have one system for regional rail and bus transit (longer routes) called Sound Transit that does well. Local service is county-based. After state-level a tax revolt long ago, the counties each tried to replace its revenue via its county's voters, with varying success over the years. King County (the big one) failed to pass a measure, so the City of Seattle ran its own measure which restored/expanded service within the city limits but didn't cover the other 1.4 million people in the county. The local agencies still run regional buses into Seattle to augment Sound Transit's service. That's before you get to the ferry systems.

Operationally it's also complicated. For starters, Sound Transit runs in downtown tunnels operated by King County Metro and Burlington Northern. The latter is why we have miniscule commuter rail service to the north. A similar issue on ground-level tracks means the south is hampered as well. Denver also has a lot more in terms of existing rail corridors, a huge factor in its far larger mileage of light rail etc. at much lower cost.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 7:37 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Sounds like an underground pipe-dream.

Politics is a Fickle Mistress
Your second statement is the real answer here. The Charlotte region has about $2.3 billion to spend on transportation capital projects in any given year, or about $30 billion to spend between now and the 2030 timeframe noted in the article. They have the money to support a $7 billion megaproject. It's a question of whether or not they want to.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 1:33 PM

I feel like a broken record asking this again, but... any news on the G-Line? I assume it's tied to the same recent hearings regarding the quiet zones along the A-Line, but I'm hearing very little about the G.

Anyone have any insight? What's the over/under on this thing opening before 2020?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 4:03 PM

Quote:
RTD is planning an event to announce the opening date of the G Line to Arvada and Wheat Ridge.

The bad news is that we don’t know when we’ll know.

RTD’s latest documentation references a 2018 opening. The big factor is the Federal Railroad Administration. RTD requested permission last month to begin full testing, but they haven’t heard back yet.
https://denverite.com/2018/07/11/rtd...-what-we-know/

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Seattle's system isn't that admirable. It's much more disjointed than RTD.
Thanks! That helps me to understand a (little) better.

Now about that Seattle Streetcar project. http://mynorthwest.com/1047568/seatt...ate-july-2018/
Quote:
“For example, one of the things we know is that the new streetcars, as designed, are longer than the current ones we have, and heavier,” Durkan said. “They won’t fit in the maintenance barns, for example, we are not sure if they will fit on the gauge of rail that’s there.”

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 10:38 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 3:01 AM

Mr. FUGLY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventwenty View Post
Quote:
"Wanting to serve on RTD, this wasn't my lifelong goal," Evans says. "But I've been a vocal critic of RTD.” The Boulder native wants to be an advocate for change across the transit district's service area.

"[RTD] is a business, but it's a publicly funded business," he says. "We should be watching every dollar possible, but at the same time, if it's not serving the public who's paying for it, then why are we paying for it?"
I think all critics should run for office. It's one thing to take pot shots (w/o understanding the issues) and quite another to become a constructive spoke in the wheel.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West