HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 12:12 AM
Old Fart Forumer

Not exactly earth shattering, but what the heck. Ithaca:

-The first Ice Cream Sundae was invented by a local fountain owner Chester Platt and Unitarian reverend John Scott on April 3, 1892.

-America's first electric street lamps lit the Cornell Campus in the winter of 1875-'76..

-The Ivory-Billed Woodpecker was rediscovered (maybe) by the Cornell Lab of Ornithology in 2005.

-The song "Puff the Magic Dragon" was penned in Ithaca. Cornell Student Lenny Lipton wrote it as a poem and passed it on to Peter Yarrow, who later turned it in the Peter, Paul and Mary classic.

-Novelist Vladimir Nabokov wrote "Lolita" in Ithaca-and he almost burned it here after the story was rejected by every American publisher. His wife changed literary history when she pulled the manuscript from the incinerator behind their rented house on East Seneca Street

-Dr. Robert A. Moog, founder of Moog Music and the inventor of the legendary Moog synthesizer received his Ph.D. from Cornell in engineering physics in 1965 and was a longtime resident of suburban Trumansburg, N.Y. Cornell University now houses his archives.

-Ithaca has its own currency, "Ithaca Hours." This alternative legal tender is widely used in town and has been featured in over 400 media outlets nationally and abroad.

There's also over 100 waterfalls within 10 miles of downtown.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Even as an Angeleno, this visual is mind-boggling. We don't have any freeways that are anywhere near this wide in the Southland.
Yes..The 401 is a busy one..Especially going through Toronto.

I think why it surprises people when they learn that it is the highest volume or at least one of the highest volume freeways in the world is attributed to how many cities it services, and it not being so much a Toronto and environs only freeway. It runs from Montreal to Toronto and down to Windsor, and is pretty much the main artery, going from Montreal> Cornwall through Kingston> Getting insane though Toronto> Kitchener> London> Winsdor, and everything in between. The 401 in many ways is the only game in town..I'm guessing that some of these world megacities probably have more secondary arterials servicing their cities compared to the 401.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Tom Cruise lived in Ottawa, Canada for 3 years during his childhood. Cruise was his middle name. His real surname is Mapother. His family fled back to the USA in darkness of night because his father was abusive.
Ya, I heard that before too..Interesting..

Also, isn't Barrymore's (an old theatre in downtown Ottawa) named after Drew Barrymore's Grandfather who is from Ottawa (I think)?

Last edited by Razor; Nov 9, 2018 at 2:20 AM.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 12:34 AM

Liverpool became home to the world’s first overseas American Consulate in 1790.
In 1893 the world’s first overhead railway was opened in Liverpool. It was also the first electric elevated railway, the first to use automatic signals and electric colour light signals, and had the first passenger escalator at a railway station.

The world’s first passenger railway line

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 8:39 PM

Next time you're in Philly and cruising/biking/jogging along Kelly Drive, bear in mind that that roadway is named not after Grace Kelly, the actress and princess; nor is it named after her father and Olympian rower, John Kelly Sr; Kelly Drive is named after John Kelly Jr., who was also an Olympian rower like his father.

IDK, this thread is drying up and that was the best I could find!

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Yes..The 401 is a busy one..Especially going through Toronto.

I think why it surprises people when they learn that it is the highest volume or at least one of the highest volume freeways in the world is attributed to how many cities it services, and it not being so much a Toronto and environs only freeway. It runs from Montreal to Toronto and down to Windsor, and is pretty much the main artery, going from Montreal> Cornwall through Kingston> Getting insane though Toronto> Kitchener> London> Winsdor, and everything in between. The 401 in many ways is the only game in town..I'm guessing that some of these world megacities probably have more secondary arterials servicing their cities compared to the 401.
São Paulo's Marginal Tietê, as Toronto's 401, are the only way to go through the cities in the west-east, so they perform pretty much the same role. Marginal Tietê was upgraded in 2011 from the 12-14 lanes to 18-20, increasing its carrying capacity.

Again as 401, it not only serves the city, but it also channels most of the traffic from South Brazil (28 million people) to Rio de Janeiro (16 million people) and Northeast Brazil beyond (56 million people), numbers that dwarf the Windsor-Montreal corridor.

Only when the last (northern) section of São Paulo ring road to be done (2021?), Marginal Tietê will see some relief as all the passing inter-regional traffic will be diverted, but I guess the ordinary urban traffic will quickly seize the space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
The whole point is that the data doesn't exist to directly compare. The 401 may very well be the busiest, but to claim it is outright when there are mega regions of 30 million+ people that don't track traffic in an apples-to-apples manner is the cause of doubt.

Toss an addendum on the original statement that says the 401 is the busiest highway in North America measured by volume at a specific point and it holds up far better.
401 was the busiest road in the world before Marginal Tietê has been upgraded greatly increased its carrying capacity. It's not anymore.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions