HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 2:42 AM
haljackey's Avatar
haljackey haljackey is offline
User Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 2,702
Post Highways in Canada

I was looking throughout this site and noticed there wasn't a thread for this!

Let me start with a few pics of highways in London, my hometown.

Highway 401 (freeway)


Highway 402 (freeway)


Highbury Avenue (short grade-separated expressway)


Veterans Memorial Parkway/VMP (at-grade expressway)


All photos by me except the last one which was taken by Adam Colvin.

Despite all the highways in the area, London is the largest city in North America that does not have a freeway to serve 'local' traffic. The Veterans Memorial Parkway is planned to be upgraded to a freeway at some point, however it won't be for another 20-30 years.
__________________
My Twitter

My Simcity Stuff

Last edited by haljackey; May 17, 2014 at 3:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 4:06 AM
LeftCoaster's Avatar
LeftCoaster LeftCoaster is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toroncouver
Posts: 11,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Despite all the highways in the area, London is the largest city in North America that does not have a freeway to serve 'local' traffic.
I wasn't aware London was larger than Vancouver, what a growth spurt!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 4:39 AM
jmt18325's Avatar
jmt18325 jmt18325 is offline
Heart of the Continent
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 6,424
I always thought that Winnipeg was larger than London too (and no, the Disreali doesn't count).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 5:36 PM
yaletown_fella yaletown_fella is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
I always thought that Winnipeg was larger than London too (and no, the Disreali doesn't count).
London is sprawlier from what Ive experienced. It's like denser areas of suburban western Chicago with more greenery/ravines. The downtown area is like a minature Ottawa.

Winnipeg is like the low rise areas of East Vancouver surrounding a minature Chicago on a river.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 6:11 AM
Spocket's Avatar
Spocket Spocket is offline
Keep yo pimp hand strong
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Changchun , China
Posts: 2,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Despite all the highways in the area, London is the largest city in North America that does not have a freeway to serve 'local' traffic.
Winnipeg's still considerably larger than London .

Vancouver most definitely has a major freeway running through it so I'm not sure where that comment comes from .
__________________
Giving you a reason to drink and drive since 1975.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 11:21 PM
bulliver's Avatar
bulliver bulliver is offline
So very tired...
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Nanaimo
Posts: 3,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Vancouver most definitely has a major freeway running through it so I'm not sure where that comment comes from .
Look at a map, it just cuts through a tiny corner of Vancouver. Besides the original contention was "that does not have a freeway to serve 'local' traffic". This tiny stretch of the TCH most certainly does not serve local Vancouver Traffic.

Anyway, here's some pictures of some highways I have taken over the last few years:

Highway 1 at Rogers Pass BC


Highway 1 near Spuzzum BC


Highway 1 at Hell's Gate BC


Highway 97 crossing the William R. Bennett Bridge at Kelowna BC


Highway 7 near Harrison Mills BC


Secondary Highway 866 near Boyne Lake AB


Highway 63 near Ft McMurray AB


Highway 32 near Peers AB


Highway 1 near Calgary AB
__________________
Support the mob or mysteriously disappear...
Ipernity | Recent SSP Photo threads:
Two Days in Winnipeg | Stuff I've seen so far this year in Edmonton | Rural Alberta Advantage | Edmonton AB - Third Quarter 2011
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 1:47 PM
Spocket's Avatar
Spocket Spocket is offline
Keep yo pimp hand strong
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Changchun , China
Posts: 2,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
Look at a map, it just cuts through a tiny corner of Vancouver. Besides the original contention was "that does not have a freeway to serve 'local' traffic". This tiny stretch of the TCH most certainly does not serve local Vancouver Traffic.
What are you talking about ? Seriously , do you live in some alternate Vancouver or something ? How can you look at a map and NOT notice the freeway running through the city ?
If a "tiny corner" equals about a third of the Vancouver metropolitan area and pretty much everybody in the lower mainland then I think you need to look at a dictionary . Of course it serves local traffic ... who else would it serve ? You can't exactly argue that people are just passing through Vancouver on their drive to ... the Pacific ocean ? It doesn't go around the city , it goes through it and while it doesn't go directly into the CBD it gets reasonably close .
__________________
Giving you a reason to drink and drive since 1975.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 1:56 PM
LeftCoaster's Avatar
LeftCoaster LeftCoaster is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toroncouver
Posts: 11,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
What are you talking about ? Seriously , do you live in some alternate Vancouver or something ? How can you look at a map and NOT notice the freeway running through the city ?
If a "tiny corner" equals about half of the Vancouver metropolitan area then I think you need to look at a dictionary .
Burnaby is not Vancouver. Surrey Is not Vancouver. Coquitlam is not Vancouver.

He doesnt live in an alternate Vancouver, he lives in VANCOUVER. No one ever said anything about Metro Vancouver. The City of Vancouver has over 600,000 people making it larger than London and there is no freeway serving the City of Vancouver, Highway 1 touches the border then turns north.

All traffic in the City of Vancouver is surface streets.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 2:05 PM
Spocket's Avatar
Spocket Spocket is offline
Keep yo pimp hand strong
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Changchun , China
Posts: 2,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Burnaby is not Vancouver. Surrey Is not Vancouver. Coquitlam is not Vancouver.

He doesnt live in an alternate Vancouver, he lives in VANCOUVER. No one ever said anything about Metro Vancouver. The City of Vancouver has over 600,000 people making it larger than London and there is no freeway serving the City of Vancouver, Highway 1 touches the border then turns north.

All traffic in the City of Vancouver is surface streets.
Whatever . I'm pretty sure that people who live the area don't stop driving their cars when they reach Burnaby just so that they won't be counted as Burnaby traffic . If we're going to quibble then okay , let's quibble . Firstly , Vancouver has a freeway . Secondly , simply by virtue of it being in the city proper and having access ramps within said jurisdiction it serves local traffic . Thirdly , Granville , Cambie , and the Dunsmuir/Georgia viaducts are also freeways by definition so your contention that all Vancouver traffic is surface is flat-out wrong . Or perhaps now you'd like to debate the definition of a freeway ? Perhaps instead you'd prefer to argue that a freeway can only be used by people who live in a specific jurisdiction ?

If , on the other hand , you don't want to argue the minutiae then just admit that Vancouver has freeways since , after all , it does whether you count only the city proper or the GVRD . Of course , again , if you want to argue that Vancouver has no freeways (even though it does) on false technicalities about "local traffic" then the same applies to London which also has a freeway serving local traffic .
__________________
Giving you a reason to drink and drive since 1975.

Last edited by Spocket; Apr 12, 2011 at 2:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Jun 11, 2011, 12:58 AM
Manoose Manoose is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12
If some people think it's egregious that Ontario highways don't have non-Ontario cities as control cities for the most part I wonder what you would think of the signs on the I-80 that direct you to "Canada via exit 53" such as the one around Buffalo. Poor granny might think she's within a half hour of Tuktoyaktuk when she's actually about ten days away. Highway 17 in northwestern Ontario needs to be twinned for the sole reason that it's a death trap! I had to make the drive to Thunder Bay in 2007 and north of the Soo Highway 17 is about the world's worst road you want to be contending with after dark. Never again would I do it and I'm somewhat surprised I managed to live through that horrible highway. The fact that the control city on Highway 17 northwest of Sault Ste Marie is the metropolis of Wawa some 500 kms away is the first sign road conditions ain't gonna be improving. Once you're past Wawa/Michipicoten and you're cruising along the northern shores of Superior it only gets worse. You know a highway is bad when the police stop you for the sole reason that you're driving and suggest you spend the night in a parking lot in the next town. The OPP stopped me in the middle of nowhere in North Western Ontario and suggested I spend the night parked in Nipigon because of visibility after dark.

Last edited by Manoose; Jun 11, 2011 at 1:11 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 1:51 PM
caltrane74's Avatar
caltrane74 caltrane74 is offline
gettin' rich!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 33,979
Wow, I didn't know all you guys didn't have highways in your cities. - Even Hamilton, which is about the same size as Winnipeg, has 4 (major )highways running through it and around it. - Very scenic highways I might add as well. - The LINC, and Red Creek are very nice.
__________________
Bangkok-Pattaya 2019
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12  
Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 2:07 PM
freeweed's Avatar
freeweed freeweed is offline
Home of Hyperchange
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dynamic City, Alberta
Posts: 17,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Wow, I didn't know all you guys didn't have highways in your cities. - Even Hamilton, which is about the same size as Winnipeg, has 4 (major )highways running through it and around it. - Very scenic highways I might add as well. - The LINC, and Red Creek are very nice.
One thing I learned the first time I drove through southern Ontario - that region has far, far better freeways in the cities than the rest of the country. I'll never forget my first time in K-W, marveling at what seemed like insane freeways for a city of 3-400,000 (at the time). Compared to places like Winnipeg, Calgary or Edmonton, which were more than twice the size yet had nothing on that level.

I realized as I got older than things were a bit more complicated, but at the time it sure reinforced my western stereotypes of "Ottawa spends all the money in S.Ontario and ignores the west". Seriously - to this day Winnipeg has nothing even remotely comparable, and Edmonton/Calgary are just getting to that point over the last 5 years or so (Deerfoot had traffic lights on it as recently as 6 years ago).

Hamilton at least made sense given its proximity to Toronto etc, and the fact that it's the corridor to the US and Niagara. But K-W just seems so "out of the way" to have a couple of major freeways servicing it. At least from a western perspective. It felt very American - every town over 10,000 people has a freeway in it if you stick to the Interstates.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13  
Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 3:14 PM
jigglysquishy's Avatar
jigglysquishy jigglysquishy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 1,711
I'm just going to pop in and say freeways are disgusting and a detriment to a city's urban fabric.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14  
Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 6:54 PM
Phil McAvity's Avatar
Phil McAvity Phil McAvity is offline
I put the F-U in FUN
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
I'm just going to pop in and say freeways are disgusting and a detriment to a city's urban fabric.
He's right.

All freeways do are help the economy.

Who needs jobs or money?
__________________
“Ideologies are substitutes for true knowledge, and ideologues are always dangerous when they come to power, because a simple-minded I-know-it-all approach is no match for the complexity of existence.”
― Jordan B. Peterson

Last edited by Phil McAvity; Apr 18, 2011 at 8:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15  
Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 11:51 PM
eemy's Avatar
eemy eemy is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,467
Two additional photos of the Dempster and Top-of-the-World Highways.

Dempster Highway


Top-of-the-World Highway


I'd really love to go on a trip up to the Yukon and travel on some of these highways sometime.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 1:35 AM
Elmira Guy's Avatar
Elmira Guy Elmira Guy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Waterloo, ON
Posts: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
But K-W just seems so "out of the way" to have a couple of major freeways servicing it. At least from a western perspective. It felt very American - every town over 10,000 people has a freeway in it if you stick to the Interstates.
Kitchener-Waterloo only has one "freeway" (Conestoga Parkway) which services the city on a west-to-east at the south end of Kitchener, and south-to-north along the east side of Kitchener and Waterloo.

The 401 is in close proximity (running west-to-east essentially dividing Kitchener and Cambridge. While the 401 can be used to go from certain parts of Kitchener to certain areas of Cambridge, it is not a freeway which is dedicated to the area, other than to connect it with the other major cities in the corridor.

Another point. I don't know how much time you've spent in K-W, but in case it hasn't been much, the street layout in this city/cities is beyond bizarre! Two of the main streets which run parallel to one another almost throughout both cities, cross one another TWICE in Waterloo, and then marge without notice in Kitchener.

While I don't drive, it is undeniable that the "Expressway" (as it is locally called) enabled the region to become much more prosperous. Hopefully we can get the LRT happening, and improve the area even more.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 2:10 AM
Andy6's Avatar
Andy6 Andy6 is offline
Starring as himself
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Toronto Yorkville
Posts: 8,191
Well, there is a vast amount of heavy industry in Southern Ontario, notably an auto industry that requires reliable, just-in-time delivery of parts from numerous suppliers located (or at least, that were located) in dozens of towns and cities in the province.
__________________
crispy crunchy light and snappy
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 2:14 AM
Duke-Of-Waterloo's Avatar
Duke-Of-Waterloo Duke-Of-Waterloo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Waterloo, ON
Posts: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmira Guy View Post
While I don't drive, it is undeniable that the "Expressway" (as it is locally called) enabled the region to become much more prosperous. Hopefully we can get the LRT happening, and improve the area even more.
+1 ....
__________________
Visit MyMiniCity - http://erbsville.myminicity.com/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 3:43 AM
Blitz's Avatar
Blitz Blitz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Posts: 4,243
Winnipeg at least has a ring road....London doesn't even have that. Traffic in London is horrendous. Kitchener and Windsor have crosstown expressways and the traffic flow in those cities is so much better despite all being around the same size.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 1:25 PM
The_Architect's Avatar
The_Architect The_Architect is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 3,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmira Guy View Post
Kitchener-Waterloo only has one "freeway" (Conestoga Parkway) which services the city on a west-to-east at the south end of Kitchener, and south-to-north along the east side of Kitchener and Waterloo.

The 401 is in close proximity (running west-to-east essentially dividing Kitchener and Cambridge. While the 401 can be used to go from certain parts of Kitchener to certain areas of Cambridge, it is not a freeway which is dedicated to the area, other than to connect it with the other major cities in the corridor.

Another point. I don't know how much time you've spent in K-W, but in case it hasn't been much, the street layout in this city/cities is beyond bizarre! Two of the main streets which run parallel to one another almost throughout both cities, cross one another TWICE in Waterloo, and then marge without notice in Kitchener.

While I don't drive, it is undeniable that the "Expressway" (as it is locally called) enabled the region to become much more prosperous. Hopefully we can get the LRT happening, and improve the area even more.
Oh Weber St.. Sooooo confusing.

Not to mention the main street (King) has a King St N, King St S, King St E and King St W. The road does not go in a circle.

Planning in KW is so odd in the sense that it's a grid in both Kitchener and Waterloo, but one grid is the typical N-S, E-W grid, and then move into the other municipality and it looks like an 'X'..

Also, the Conestoga Parkway is one (I know it as 85), but wouldn't you also include the 8 as an expressway?
__________________
Hope is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of our greatest strength, and our greatest weakness.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:00 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.