HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 4:19 PM

Yes, Kelowna's economy is changing and diversifying with tech being a large part of the shift (hence the new Innovation Centre). UBCO is a large catalyst for that change, it has seen impressive investment (UBC doesn't play in the little leagues) and is embarking on a new Innovation Precinct that should be a boon to Kelowna business. Also, Kelowna's infrastructural advantage over Kamloops is its airport, and airports play a large role in fostering business growth.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 7:23 PM

Yes Kelowna has a larger airport, but Kamloops has 2 major railways running through town. Kelowna's rail connection was removed for a stupid walking path. Not a good move. Kelowna is the largest city in Canada, and possibly North America, to not have a railway. Is that something to be proud of?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyboy95 View Post
Yes Kelowna has a larger airport, but Kamloops has 2 major railways running through town. Kelowna's rail connection was removed for a stupid walking path. Not a good move. Kelowna is the largest city in Canada, and possibly North America, to not have a railway. Is that something to be proud of?
I would consider a larger and better connected airport to be more of an advantage in attracting business in the 21st century.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 3:59 AM

Victoria doesn’t have an active railroad.

Here’s a list from Wikipedia of American cities with no inter-city rail service - there are over 50 that are larger than Kelowna, including Las Vegas, Columbus, Nashville and Tulsa. It seems for a lot of those cities Amtrack has a bus service to bring passengers in. In Western Canada passenger rail doesn’t matter anymore, at least not with the current infrastructure.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 2:54 AM

The railway was removed because it wasn't cost effective for CN to service it just for the Tolko lumber mill downtown. It's actually kind of nice to not have to wait for the occasional train going through by the Spall area. Unfortunately that is offset by the increased traffic from a greater number of trucks required to haul the lumber.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 3:10 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelownaResident View Post
The railway was removed because it wasn't cost effective for CN to service it just for the Tolko lumber mill downtown. It's actually kind of nice to not have to wait for the occasional train going through by the Spall area. Unfortunately that is offset by the increased traffic from a greater number of trucks required to haul the lumber.
We walked a good portion of the rail trail from Kal Beach out towards Kekuli Bay while in Vernon over the holidays, what a great amenity. It was very busy even in the cold weather. I'd love to bike it in the summer.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
We walked a good portion of the rail trail from Kal Beach out towards Kekuli Bay while in Vernon over the holidays, what a great amenity. It was very busy even in the cold weather. I'd love to bike it in the summer.
I walked a good portion of it when I was visiting last summer. It really is a great amenity, like an extra-long seawall for the Okanagan. Between it and the KVR trail, the Okanagan is building a great trail network.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 3:24 AM

I have a couple of quick update photos, not the best picture but better than nothing.. I have been busy recently but hope to get out more at the weekends to take some pictures of all the ongoing projects.

Another floor being poured at Ella today, the car parking floors are complete now possibly?

Taken from the North End of Ellis St. This will be a nice vantage point to see some progress in the coming months.
Cranes visible from right to left:
First two at One Water Street
Third crane is at Ellis Park
Tower crane at the left is at Ella

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 1:46 AM

Some more construction updates from this weekend. Its difficult to get decent pictures right now of the bigger developments as they are all still working on the lower floors.

Ella from the corner of Bernard and Ellis, quite visible now from Bernard Ave.

Ella from Lawrence Ave

Urbana at Central Green

One Water Street East

One Water Street West

The St Paul

The Beverly, corner of Enteprise and Spall

Kelowna's newest brewery under construction - The Rustic Reel on Vaughan Ave

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 3:01 AM

Thanks for the great pictures! I always seem to forget about the Beverly.

Is Urbana the last building at Central Green, it is there going to be one more?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 3:10 AM

That’s a really tall wood frame building. Thanks for the updates!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrescata View Post
Thanks for the great pictures! I always seem to forget about the Beverly.

Is Urbana the last building at Central Green, it is there going to be one more?
There is another similar building under construction on the Rowcliffe Ave end of the site. Its at a similar construction stage I believe. There may be one more I am not sure.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
That’s a really tall wood frame building. Thanks for the updates!
It really stands out with its mass right now. Six floors over parking.
The construction site stretches way to the left of the building as it stands now- looks like they have an underground parking lot the entire length of the site, possibly for a second and third similar development phase.

Mission Group are just wrapping up 1920 Enterprise Way across the street too.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
There is another similar building under construction on the Rowcliffe Ave end of the site. Its at a similar construction stage I believe. There may be one more I am not sure.
The original plan had 3 highrise towers along Harvey Avenue. Mission Group clawed that back and wanted to come in with 4/5 storey builds to finish off the site. City rejected that application saying they were disappointed and sent Mission back to the drawing board for the final build sites along Harvey. Still unsure what the plan will be.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 12:07 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Thanks for the update, mountainman. Always appreciated.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 4:37 AM

Great updates. Nice seeing what's going on there. That building looks perfect for a brewery.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 5:08 PM

Kamloops having rail service just means that it's a distribution hub for the Interior, so while that is a boon to the economy, it won't make Kamloops overtake Kelowna as the Alpha City in the Interior. Kelowna's airport is much more useful and important than freight by rail.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 3:18 AM
be nice to the crackheads

KelownaNow talks to the new executive director of the Downtown Kelowna Association

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 4:37 PM

I will be heading to Kelowna for a few weeks in late February, and I plan on taking pictures of most of the current projects, but if there are any specific projects (not the obvious ones) that people would like updates on, let me know!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
I will be heading to Kelowna for a few weeks in late February, and I plan on taking pictures of most of the current projects, but if there are any specific projects (not the obvious ones) that people would like updates on, let me know!
Yes please!!, if you can get a few of one water street as i will not be in kelowna for few months and will be passing through to Vancouver for a big skyscraper project down there. i want to see the speed of one water, not to judge because i am not there and do not know how their ruining the operation. i am wondering why their only on second floor when in late September the columns were formed on main floor, iv'e been on and seen lots projects similar where at this stage i would think they should be roughly 6 plus floors up by now... i do know of a concrete/form work company that can push out 20 floors in 6 months in -20 below conditions so of course i represent them. i do know one water street had problems with water months back.. plus Kelowna is like the best place to work construction in my opinion barely gets cold there. love it!! anyways awesome work out there. hopefully more high rises in future there, and hopefully economy keeps going full steam ahead. good job guys!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia