HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 3:00 PM

Racquet Club in East Memphis closing

High-end, mixed-use project likely for the prime real estate, experts say

By Tom Bailey and Wayne Risher/Daily Memphian. Updated: November 20, 2018 11:25 PM CT

This looks like it's going to open up a large piece for development right behind Clark Tower and the I Bank Tower in East Memphis. Possibly could see some more height in this area.

"But real estate experts said the site presents a huge opportunity for East Memphis. It could provide a blank slate for one of the area’s largest infill developments in recent years and perhaps hold potential to knit together the retail, restaurants, offices and condominiums that surround it."

“I have no earthly idea what kind of height you might get there, but if you have height, it would be interesting to see somebody go up for a 20- to 30-story apartment building. We don’t have anything like that in Memphis, and what better location?”

https://dailymemphian.com/article/14...emphis-closing

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG901 View Post

Racquet Club in East Memphis closing

High-end, mixed-use project likely for the prime real estate, experts say

By Tom Bailey and Wayne Risher/Daily Memphian. Updated: November 20, 2018 11:25 PM CT

This looks like it's going to open up a large piece for development right behind Clark Tower and the I Bank Tower in East Memphis. Possibly could see some more height in this area.

"But real estate experts said the site presents a huge opportunity for East Memphis. It could provide a blank slate for one of the area’s largest infill developments in recent years and perhaps hold potential to knit together the retail, restaurants, offices and condominiums that surround it."

“I have no earthly idea what kind of height you might get there, but if you have height, it would be interesting to see somebody go up for a 20- to 30-story apartment building. We don’t have anything like that in Memphis, and what better location?”

https://dailymemphian.com/article/14...emphis-closing
When I saw the closure for the racquet club I knew that would be the perfect spot to get some mid/high rise development in East Memphis.
Keep in mind there's work for two projects near that block to help that area become pedestrian friendly.

The Grove at White Station and Clark Tower campus redesign. Those projects would enhance a changing dynamic in that area with whatever's developed at the club site.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 6:13 PM

I get the distinct impression that Memphis is getting ready to tear the roof off.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 8:29 PM

Wiseacre plans large brewery Downtown

Quote:
Wiseacre Brewing plans to build a 40,000-square-foot brewery on vacant land linking the southeast edge of Downtown with South City. Abel Parcels LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of Wiseacre, is seeking a Board of Adjustment variance to build on 2.5 acres bounded by B.B. King, Johnson, Vance and Abel.
https://www.dailymemphian.com/articl...ewery-Downtown

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 1:35 AM

Downtown football stadium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian View Post
It isn't in a prime location, Tiger Lane is nice but it still doesn't address the problems that the LB faces. The continued push for a shopping center doesn't make going to a game more attractive. There are zero hotels adjacent to the facility. It's not an ideal location. It is open air.

I get there are some that want a on campus stadium as well. If Tiger basketball can thrive at the Forum so too can the football team in a stadium downtown.

As for the no compete clause, maybe I didn't make myself clear. There are some things bigger than the Forum can host. Some acts require more than the Forum can hold. A U2 tour comes to mind. A Pink Floyd show comes to mind being as I went to the one in Nashville back in the mid 90s. It's rare but they come along. The later rounds of the NCAA tourney come to mind. They are now being played in domed stadiums. This eliminates Memphis from all but the first round basically from now on.

It seems like being attached to a new convention center would also allow the place to be used as extra floor space. Having gone to SEC basketball tourneys and stuff, they use space outside of the stadium for fan zones and such. None of this is at the LB and not really at the Forum. A convention center as part of the developement works to provide that type of stuff.

It can make the Liberty Bowl Game have the opportunity to rise up from the level it's been viewed upon with lodging very close, entertainment next door, and all that other stuff I've mentioned. It will not become a BCS bowl but it certainly could become more prestigious in nature than it is.

I bring this all up again as Jackson St. is looking into the building of a 50,000 seat doomed stadium that would serve as it's new football home but for other events as well.
This is a great point. Jackson has proposed a 50,000 seat dome at a cost of 200-300 million. It's time for Memphis to start thinking & building like a major metro city. Indianapolis Lucas oil is a model for Memphis great location walking distance to restaurants & entertainment. Hosted Super Bowl & hit rave reviews

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisborn View Post
This is a great point. Jackson has proposed a 50,000 seat dome at a cost of 200-300 million. It's time for Memphis to start thinking & building like a major metro city. Indianapolis Lucas oil is a model for Memphis great location walking distance to restaurants & entertainment. Hosted Super Bowl & hit rave reviews
http://faculty.arch.tamu.edu/media/c...oilstadium.pdf

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 8:09 PM

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 8:12 PM

Commercial appeal building perfect site for new stadium

Quote:
. The commercial appeal building 13 acres perfect site for new stadium right next to union row project creates a perfect urban stadium village

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 2:14 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
The one issue with all of that as it relates to Memphis is that Memphis has no NFL team to serve as the primary tenant. San Antonio went that route with the Alamodome and with the exception of the occasional trade show, 6 UTSA home football games, the US Army All American Bowl and the Alamo Bowl, the dome sits empty for the majority of the year.

If Memphis had an NFL team that was currently playing at the Liberty Bowl, a domed stadium would make some sense.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Look. I know you all like to dream that Memphis should one day build a domed stadium of its own to compete with the likes of St Louis, Atlanta, Indy, and so forth, but unless you're a city with an NFL team, pursuing such a project has more risks involved than actual reward. Birmingham tried doing this several years ago as they were looking to replace Legion Field with a dome, but those plans were ultimately scrapped as the $500-600 price tag proved to be too much of a burden for taxpayers to pursue.

https://wbhm.org/feature/2017/dome-vs-stadium/

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Outsider weighing in here. This is how second-rate cities stay second-rate: by wasting public money on stadiums & other projects they don’t need. These projects almost always end up as underused boondoggles. I’m from St. Louis and that’s exactly what I saw happen with our football dome. And if I recall correctly that’s what has been happening with the Pyramid with you guys as well, performing under projections and what not. For every LucasOil there are 5 Edward Jones Domes (StL’s dome). Let Jackson dump money on a stadium; y’all can save your millions and use them on, say, improving Beale St.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 2:59 PM
crisis actor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonoftheRustBelt View Post
Outsider weighing in here. This is how second-rate cities stay second-rate: by wasting public money on stadiums & other projects they don’t need. These projects almost always end up as underused boondoggles. I’m from St. Louis and that’s exactly what I saw happen with our football dome. And if I recall correctly that’s what has been happening with the Pyramid with you guys as well, performing under projections and what not. For every LucasOil there are 5 Edward Jones Domes (StL’s dome). Let Jackson dump money on a stadium; y’all can save your millions and use them on, say, improving Beale St.
another st. louisan here...agreed...

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 3:02 PM

Memphis makes international 'bucket lists' status

By Samuel Hardiman – Staff Reporter, Memphis Business Journal /Nov 29, 2018

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/...ts-status.html

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonoftheRustBelt View Post
Agree, and I don't see Jackson ever building a dome either. The Pyramid was built in that sort of "gimmicky" frame of mind. Was supposed to have a Hard Rock Café at the top and all kinds of other things that never came to plan and it was a disaster. Also supposed to be built to NBA standards..opened in 1991, we were awarded an NBA franchise in 2001 and guess what? NBA said we needed a new arena to get the team. So basically the building as an arena had a life span of 13 years (1991-2004) until the Forum opened.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 2:39 PM

FedEx not moving into Gibson

With the news FedEx is not moving a division into the Gibson Guitar Building after what seemed like a strong possibility I'm curious (and hopeful) that this means they've been in talks with one of the new sites of office developers that have all come out in the past few months (One Beale/ 100 N Main/ Union Row)? Unless they were building some new sort of tower on the site of the Gibson I didn't really think that would be a great site for an office imo.. would think a company like this would want something with river views and being closer to the core. I also think Gibson would be a better site of hotel/residential/entertainment. Guess we will find out eventually.

https://dailymemphian.com/article/15...n-Guitar-space

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 3:16 PM

Quote:
FedEx not moving into Gibson

With the news FedEx is not moving a division into the Gibson Guitar Building after what seemed like a strong possibility I'm curious (and hopeful) that this means they've been in talks with one of the new sites of office developers that have all come out in the past few months (One Beale/ 100 N Main/ Union Row)? Unless they were building some new sort of tower on the site of the Gibson I didn't really think that would be a great site for an office imo.. would think a company like this would want something with river views and being closer to the core. I also think Gibson would be a better site of hotel/residential/entertainment. Guess we will find out eventually.

https://dailymemphian.com/article/15...n-Guitar-space

I agree that the Gibson Site should be made into a LA Live type venue. Put up things to brighten the area. Modernize the building with glass and shiny steel. With Beale, Fedex Forum and the hotel next door it would be perfect to extend the entertainment district.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JroxJrox View Post
I agree that the Gibson Site should be made into a LA Live type venue. Put up things to brighten the area. Modernize the building with glass and shiny steel. With Beale, Fedex Forum and the hotel next door it would be perfect to extend the entertainment district.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...43677436655863

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 12:11 AM

Memphis 901FC 2019

Quote:
Agree, and I don't see Jackson ever building a dome either. The Pyramid was built in that sort of "gimmicky" frame of mind. Was supposed to have a Hard Rock Café at the top and all kinds of other things that never came to plan and it was a disaster. Also supposed to be built to NBA standards..opened in 1991, we were awarded an NBA franchise in 2001 and guess what? NBA said we needed a new arena to get the team. So basically the building as an arena had a life span of 13 years (1991-2004) until the Forum opened.
Yea I hear u guys. Well with trinity holdings already purchasing a usl teams & a start up date set for feb. 2019, a dome may not be built for football 🏈 but usl requires all the teams to own soccer specific stadiums & move out of bb stadiums & football stadiums. So Memphis taxpayers may have to cough up on a new downtown pitch.(stadium)

https://lastwordonsoccer.com/2017/04...he-next-level/

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 9:10 PM

Six-story apartment complex set to rise on Poplar in Midtown

"Currently, the property is home to MCA's Gibson Hall and Overton House. MCA is in the process of divesting its real estate, following the decision it made last year to close its doors in 2020.

The development requires an $18 million investment and include five stories of apartments above a ground-floor parking garage, according to the application. It is set to feature a pool and rooftop terrace and take the name Poplar Arts Lofts."

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/...on-poplar.html

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 5:19 PM

Huge permit, new renderings filed for One Beale

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/...one-beale.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations